Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mayor McCheese posted:

My female lalafell has been called adorable exactly once, and the thing I get asked most often is "what is on your face." I only play on console these days, but here's some old screens with me and my friend being potatoes:

Lewd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Yes but what is on your face?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I'd rather use Namazu for crafters since the options for gatherers are a bit more flexible (IMO) but if you got time, yeah, beast tribe is the lazy & cheap way.

I don't think I actually ever did Namazu dailies as a gatherer. I have to assume they ask you to do different things?

There are different quests, yes. Theres gathering nodes near some of the same Namazu the crafters' quests send you to. Some of the quests are shared, for example stuff like returning the horse, the namazu mount one and the dart minigame.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

does anyone remember if warriors will get to keep steel cyclone in 5.0?

edit: ugh, no we don't. im gonna miss that ability

The Steel Cyclone animation is reused for Chaotic Cyclone, I think.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Vermain posted:

Did it get changed in the E3 build? The media preview had it at permanent uptime, with the downside of not being able to use Raw Intuition as the big tradeoff.

The duration was just a typo. The effect when used was only 6 seconds, like Raw Intuition.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Arzachel posted:

The Steel Cyclone animation is reused for Chaotic Cyclone, I think.

This makes me very happy, decimate doesn't look as cool as cyclone

I'll miss being able to spam cyclone on big pulls, but I guess you can at least do two CCs every minute or so?

(which, thinking on it, is probably more often than I ever actually bothered spamming SCs, given that it required being in a situation where I was actually in Defiance at 70 and in a dungeon on a really big trash pull)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm finally wrapping up all the sidequests in SB, and it really is disappointing how pretty much everything takes place in the Far East, while Ala Mhigo is basically just a side note.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sorry to keep asking dumbass questions in here, but I have more:

I have a lvl 31 archer on Excalibur from years ago, but I wanted to start over since I don't remember the story or how to play or anything like that. Since Excal is congested and I can't make another character there, I thought it might be a better idea to just change to the class I want and level it to 30 and pick up the main story from that point. Would this be a total pain in the rear end? I feel like I burnt out in vanilla because I had to switch to an alt-class and level it to get to bard, but I assume that's a lot easier now?

How bad is the grind from 1-30ish if you're just doing fates and sidequests and whatever?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As someone who got stuck at 50 waiting for expansion to drop and leveled another class just because, its pretty mind numbing. It’s infinitely better to just main one and do the daily duty to level an alt class.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They did way more building up Ala Mhigo since....basically 1.0, and Doma is really nothing [Some of your friends came from there, it got it's poo poo packed in super hard....the end, that's all we had to work with.]. And so we have this big expansion building up towards the liberation of PSYCH you are done with it in like 90 seconds lets go to Chinippon! And it's not like there weren't cool bits there or anything, but as an overall story it wasn't great.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I have a lvl 31 archer on Excalibur from years ago, but I wanted to start over since I don't remember the story or how to play or anything like that. Since Excal is congested and I can't make another character there, I thought it might be a better idea to just change to the class I want and level it to 30 and pick up the main story from that point. Would this be a total pain in the rear end? I feel like I burnt out in vanilla because I had to switch to an alt-class and level it to get to bard, but I assume that's a lot easier now?

How bad is the grind from 1-30ish if you're just doing fates and sidequests and whatever?

1-30 isn't bad at all. Get the Brand New Ring from the hall of the novice, and if you preordered the expansion you get a code for earrings with another exp boost. Any combat job below your highest level combat job automatically gets a boost too, so pick something that looks neat and try it!

And feel free too ask stuff, game is huge.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

With armory experience bonus, rested exp, food, FC experience bonus and one or two experience boosting items equipped, you'll get several levels per dungeon. 1 to 30 takes no time at all as a tank or healer, and slightly longer as a damage dealer because of queues.

Playing through the story again is going to be considerably longer and more tedious imo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mulva posted:

They did way more building up Ala Mhigo since....basically 1.0, and Doma is really nothing [Some of your friends came from there, it got it's poo poo packed in super hard....the end, that's all we had to work with.]. And so we have this big expansion building up towards the liberation of PSYCH you are done with it in like 90 seconds lets go to Chinippon! And it's not like there weren't cool bits there or anything, but as an overall story it wasn't great.

On the other hand, the Far East content is just better than the Gyr Abania stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

On the other hand, the Far East content is just better than the Gyr Abania stuff.

But that's only because the vast majority of it is there. I'm sure the Hildebrand storyline for example would be just as good if it took place in Ala Mhigo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SirSamVimes posted:

Of course it is, there actually is some. It's the focus of the majority of the expansion. The problem is it's not the entire expansion. They should have done Doma, or they should have done Ala Mhigo. Trying to do both just made something less than the sum of it's parts. And stepping into the Ala Mhigo side only to immediately shift out of it is tonally jarring. It's basically "Well we can't win here where we have 4 entire massive armies backing us up, lets go someplace that's even more run down with no armies backing us up!". We get our rear end kicked in by a Mary Sue for reasons and then we just run away to the other side of the world to do an entire other adventure.

And again, there's a lot of good story bits and characters in Doma. Totally. Just as an ongoing narrative the split makes for a weaker expansion than it could have been. It's a case where the English choice of name was entirely misplaced, because it had almost nothing to do with the Ala Mhigans except at the very beginning and end.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SirSamVimes posted:

and yet all the vendors are in Gyr Abania.

Sounds like a conspiracy by Big Aetheryte.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BrightWing posted:

1-30 isn't bad at all. Get the Brand New Ring from the hall of the novice, and if you preordered the expansion you get a code for earrings with another exp boost. Any combat job below your highest level combat job automatically gets a boost too, so pick something that looks neat and try it!

And feel free too ask stuff, game is huge.

Krabboss posted:

With armory experience bonus, rested exp, food, FC experience bonus and one or two experience boosting items equipped, you'll get several levels per dungeon. 1 to 30 takes no time at all as a tank or healer, and slightly longer as a damage dealer because of queues.

Playing through the story again is going to be considerably longer and more tedious imo.

Thanks! I'll just use the XP boosting stuff and a fantasia/name change to get the character I want to play.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Thanks! I'll just use the XP boosting stuff and a fantasia/name change to get the character I want to play.

At some point toward the end of the 2.0 story you'll be given a free fantasia, if you don't mind waiting a bit to change your appearance.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Small reminder that we're about to get 2 more races, so if they appeal to you you'll have to wait to pop the fantasia. (And also own the expansion)

Krabboss posted:

At some point toward the end of the 2.0 story you'll be given a free fantasia, if you don't mind waiting a bit to change your appearance.

This too, i forget about the freebie.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BrightWing posted:

Small reminder that we're about to get 2 more races, so if they appeal to you you'll have to wait to pop the fantasia. (And also own the expansion)

This too, i forget about the freebie.

Yeah, one of the reasons I was gonna start over was going to be to make a Viera. I have a fantasia sitting around from... something and I've preordered so it's all good (and the preorder earring will help with the leveling)

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Namnesor posted:

When I was on Gilgamesh I got a few "hot boi" comments, but from Excal or Ultros, I've gotten nothing

which is rude because I'm out here looking like this

What chestpiece is that? I am digging the bags.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Yeah, one of the reasons I was gonna start over was going to be to make a Viera. I have a fantasia sitting around from... something and I've preordered so it's all good (and the preorder earring will help with the leveling)

Just don't forget to follow through and enter the code for the earrings, you can get them right now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is the Fantasia after 2.0 new? I just made a new character for s&gs and I still had one mailed to me.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

SettingSun posted:

Is the Fantasia after 2.0 new? I just made a new character for s&gs and I still had one mailed to me.

You get one for beating Praetorium, and one for subscribing for a certain amount of time.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 24, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

They changed how veteren rewards work. So now instead of getting a free fantasia when you pay for your first 30 days, you get it from completing the 2.0 MSQ.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm finally wrapping up all the sidequests in SB, and it really is disappointing how pretty much everything takes place in the Far East, while Ala Mhigo is basically just a side note.

Agreed, although some of the quest lines in Gyr Abania were very decently written. I actually think this is a good part of the explanation of my disappointment in SB despite it actually having some very charming areas and dungeons and stuff.
I was all hyped for the Ala Mhigo expansion, but got the Doma expansion instead.

E: Oh. Mulva has already articulated my exact point of view very well. High 5, friend.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 24, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

That reminds me, over the weekend there was a pretty big Pride parade for the Primal Data Center on Leviathan that my wife and I went to. It was goofy, but neither of us were able to attend the actual Pride Parade in our city this year due to family emergencies and health stuff, so it was actually pretty touching. Here are some potato-eye views of the event:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

they stuck raubahn in ala mhigo in 4.1 then just kinda hosed off after that which was lame as hell. hopefully since 5.0 is completely focused on the First we can get something better.

also you can just pop a fantasia whenever even if you don't plan to use it anytime soon. you can keep it rolling until you actually right click -> change appearance on the character select screen.

Archyduchess posted:

That reminds me, over the weekend there was a pretty big Pride parade for the Primal Data Center on Leviathan that my wife and I went to. It was goofy, but neither of us were able to attend the actual Pride Parade in our city this year due to family emergencies and health stuff, so it was actually pretty touching. Here are some potato-eye views of the event:

really bummed I missed this, coming home with a huge headache and crashing immediately.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vitamean posted:

really bummed I missed this, coming home with a huge headache and crashing immediately.

If it makes you feel any better, when we all teleported from the Mist to Coerthas Central, almost everyone forgot that you can't apply glam plates from the latter so it was just a bunch of people in bikinis looking miserable in the tundra.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SirSamVimes posted:

...is it?

I assume we're talking about non-MSQ stuff, because Stormblood's stuff in the Far East actually stuck worse with me than the leadup to Titan. At least Titan had a theoretical diversity of Things Going On even if it was a total runaround. The Far East part of the MSQ was 'go to downtrodden occupied territory, do random errands until they trust you enough to give Yotsuyu and/or Zenos some poo poo but not to the point where it actually hurts their standing, move on to next area' somewhere around four times in a row.

Also, Gyr Abania's core NPCs were stronger than the Far East's, and I say that while knowing that Gyr Abania didn't even really have any. The Xaela tribal leaders were fun, but that's about it, and they were largely in service to Hien's story, who's kinda just a disparate pile of Generic Good Guy Traits and a few shallow references that don't add up to anything actually charismatic. And the less said about Yotsuyu's post-credits story the better, I still think that was the wrong choice in every goddamn way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Gyr Abania sold the "These people have been so beaten down they're beyond hope and react to the player characters and their allies with abject horror that you're just going to make things even worse" atmosphere a lot better than Doma, and I think Fordola was a much better take on the sympathetic-yet-ruthless collaborator adversary than Yotsuyu.

In large part, I think that's because Gyr Abania was more focused with the screentime it had. We already knew the broad strokes of what's going on in Ala Mhigo and what their culture is like, so the Gyr Abania story was focused tightly on the actual story of Stormblood.

By contrast, Doma and Hingashi are mostly new to players so a lot more of their screen time was devoted to establishing these places and characters with comparatively less focus given to the war and character arcs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm mostly annoyed at the aetheryte costs of traveling between Gyr Abania and the Far East.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm kind of annoyed how little we got to know Hingashi despite using Kugane as our hub city and base of operations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Cabbit posted:

I'm kind of annoyed how little we got to know Hingashi despite using Kugane as our hub city and base of operations.

Yeah, I was really disappointed by that. I wish we had a lot more Hingashi.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Dumb question, but where do I go for gear outside the MSQ? I just finished with the post ARR stuff and am finally in Ishgard, but I'm horribly overleveled. I tried to do my job (monk) quests but I'm getting my poo poo pushed in at the group fight for the level 56 quest. I assume it has something to do with the fact that I'm in a mix of 120 and 110 gear. Do I just leave it until I'm closer to 140?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I liked the Doma half of Stormblood a hell of a lot more than Ala Mhigo. The characters were way more interesting -- Hien, Gosetsu, Yotsuyu, all the Kugane folk and the Kojin and Namazu etc etc etc, versus who? Fuckin Lyse???? :barf:

Doma also has beautiful landscapes and even an underwater zone (i love those) whereas gyr abania is three identical looking lovely desert zones that are just depressing to be in.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cabbit posted:

It represents Dejima, right? There wouldn't be too much to explore unless we needed to sneak into not-Nagasaki for some reason?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
We don't know what the mounts for the shb primals will be yet, do we?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Dumb question, but where do I go for gear outside the MSQ? I just finished with the post ARR stuff and am finally in Ishgard, but I'm horribly overleveled. I tried to do my job (monk) quests but I'm getting my poo poo pushed in at the group fight for the level 56 quest. I assume it has something to do with the fact that I'm in a mix of 120 and 110 gear. Do I just leave it until I'm closer to 140?

You can buy gear of every level all the way to 60 right in Ishgard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

small bird pudding posted:

We don't know what the mounts for the shb primals will be yet, do we?

Not unless they are robofrogs