Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bessantj posted:

He is writing Doomsday Clock, has that finished and is it good?
2 issues remaining, will hopefully be done this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

Geoff Johns did some legit good stuff (Flash, Titans, Superman) but he brought back Hal Jordan and Barry Allen and then brought Watchmen into the DC Universe among many other boneheaded things. So I think at this point it's a tough call on whether he's been a net positive or negative for DC in my opinion.

As a writer early on, he was fine (sometimes; let's not talk about his Avengers run). But as a guiding hand for the entire line, he's been a disaster.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bessantj posted:

Thank you, because that's probably as clear as anyone could make it.

Let me tell you a story about the three Jokers.

In four or five years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His Flash was pretty great but it had hints of the terrible habits he would develop in his later writings.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

His Flash was pretty great but it had hints of the terrible habits he would develop in his later writings.

I liked most of his Superman stuff that wasn't Secret Origin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Oh yeah, he still did some good stuff but there was this whole thing where he started "restoring" characters to how he best remembered them and it should have been a red flag.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

2 issues remaining, will hopefully be done this year.

They're taking their time.

X-O posted:

Let me tell you a story about the three Jokers.

In four or five years.

I remember seeing something about three jokers and thinking it could be interesting. I've been meaning to go back and find out how Batman got in that chair. Don't the other J.L. members get a boost to their powers or something?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

I even like his GL run up to Sinestro Corps War despite the fact that bringing back Hal should have been an enormous red flag. Those comics were fun and mythos expanding.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I actually really enjoyed the Sinestro Corp War, it felt like it had fun, high-energy stakes and was super zippily paced. When the lantern spectrum was limited to fear vs. "will" (which at the time felt a lot like courage and hope) it lent itself well to the sort of space opera morality tale GL is best at. The nonstop continuity-cameo style that wore itself out so quickly hadn't done so yet either so it was a lot of fun at the time to see which characters the yellow rings attached themselves to.

I think it's emblematic of Johns' flaws though that after the success of the yellow lantern stuff he almost immediately veered into "you like two colors, eh? Try every color!" with immediately diminishing returns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I remember when his Captain Cold focus issue came out and was very well regarded, but then it felt he needed to do it for everybody.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I remember when his Captain Cold focus issue came out and was very well regarded, but then it felt he needed to do it for everybody.

That and his habit of fixing things. He returned Cyborg to his original state, brought back the "real" LOSH, restored Superman's past as Superboy etc.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dawgstar posted:

Oh for sure towards the end of his Flash run it felt like early 90's DeMatteis on Spider-Man, where every villain had a poignant canned trauma that, quelle chance!, was mawkishly resonant with their bad-guy theming. The worst I think was the Mirror Master issue, largely because GJ could not let go of the dumb motif (I think established pretty early on in the run) of Mirror Master doing lines of coke off of mirrors, because, like, MIRRORS, RIGHT?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bessantj posted:

They're taking their time.

I remember seeing something about three jokers and thinking it could be interesting. I've been meaning to go back and find out how Batman got in that chair. Don't the other J.L. members get a boost to their powers or something?

Batman learned there were three Jokers in September 2015, we found out that's what learned in March 2016. It's July 2019 and that's literally all we know still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Geoff Johns may kill a lot of people, but he also helps a lot of people get to work on time, so, it;s impossible to say if he's bad or not,

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uh, is that a Hitler joke?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Uh, is that a Hitler joke?

Drunk driving.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay. I thought that was the age old "at least the trains ran on time" thing and it felt icky.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't particularly like Johns's Flash, although in fairness Waid was a hard act to follow. He seemed more interested in writing about the Rogues than the Flash himself (in particular, the "Rogues War" arc that just dragged out endlessly). His new villains (Cicada! Murmur! Peek-a-Boo!) were forgettable, and he never seemed to be able to do anything with Wally's girlfriend, Linda. Yeah, I liked how he handled Zoom/Hunter Zolomon, but that alone wasn't enough to save it for me.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bessantj posted:

How many times as a Flash altered history?

There was a baffling one I vaguely recall, where Zoom attacked Wally's wife Linda, causing her to miscarry.

Later, Zoom and Wally were in another fight, and I don't recall how or why they went back in time to that point (Zoom wanted to force him to relive that moment?) but long story short, Zoom instead hit Zoom instead of Linda, so when he came back to the present, she was in labor.

I bring this up, too, because:

X-O posted:

Easier question, how many times has a Flash not altered history?

Zero. Zero times.

Zoom came into being because it was like, the one time Wally refused to alter history. Zolomon was paralyzed by Grodd, and asked Wally to hop on the ol' treadmill and go back to prevent him from being paralyzed.

Wally said no; that he wasn't going to change history... which led to them altering history at a number of later points because, great, now he has to deal with Zoom because he wouldn't do his buddy a solid and unparalyze him.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 24, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Okay. I thought that was the age old "at least the trains ran on time" thing and it felt icky.

That was Mussolini (and also not true, fascists are way better at propaganda than infrastructure)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

There was a baffling one I vaguely recall, where Zoom attacked Wally's wife Linda, causing her to miscarry.

Later, Zoom and Wally were in another fight, and I don't recall how or why they went back in time to that point (Zoom wanted to force him to relive that moment?) but long story short, Zoom instead hit Zoom instead of Linda, so when he came back to the present, she was in labor.

I bring this up, too, because:

Zoom came into being because it was like, the one time Wally refused to alter history. Zolomon was paralyzed by Grodd, and asked Wally to hop on the ol' treadmill and go back to prevent him from being paralyzed.

Wally said no; that he wasn't going to change history... which led to them altering history at a number of later points because, great, now he has to deal with Zoom because he wouldn't do his buddy a solid and unparalyze him.

All of that's amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

All of that's amazing.

He didn't even mention that Barry Allen came back from the dead specifically to help Wally prevent the miscarriage. In between a couple of those panels from Crisis I posted, he took a break to travel to the future to do this.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Is jokers daughter just as dumb a concept as I first thought when I read it? I remember reading a catwoman comic maybe where she took over a village of deformed people in the infinitely sized Gotham sewers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

He didn't even mention that Barry Allen came back from the dead specifically to help Wally prevent the miscarriage. In between a couple of those panels from Crisis I posted, he took a break to travel to the future to do this.

I don't think it was from then, if memory serves it was before he killed the Reverse Flash.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wikipedia:
"Hunter was severely injured during an attack by Gorilla Grodd at Iron Heights Penitentiary, and was left paralysed from the waist down.[5] He begged Wally to use the time-travelling cosmic treadmill in the Flash Museum to prevent the series of tragedies in his life from ever occurring. But Wally refused, not wanting to risk damaging the timestream and thus shattering their friendship. Hunter then broke into the museum and attempted to use the cosmic treadmill himself. The resulting explosion cured Hunter's paralysis and shifted his connection to time; he now had the ability to alter his personal timeframe, granting him super-speed.[6]"

How did a guy who didn't have super-speed and also couldn't walk use the cosmic treadmill?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

How? (I don't expect you to answer it was more an exclamation of disbelief.)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

prefect posted:

Wikipedia:
"Hunter was severely injured during an attack by Gorilla Grodd at Iron Heights Penitentiary, and was left paralysed from the waist down.[5] He begged Wally to use the time-travelling cosmic treadmill in the Flash Museum to prevent the series of tragedies in his life from ever occurring. But Wally refused, not wanting to risk damaging the timestream and thus shattering their friendship. Hunter then broke into the museum and attempted to use the cosmic treadmill himself. The resulting explosion cured Hunter's paralysis and shifted his connection to time; he now had the ability to alter his personal timeframe, granting him super-speed.[6]"

How did a guy who didn't have super-speed and also couldn't walk use the cosmic treadmill?

I'll just leave this here:

It was not a motorized wheelchair either. Considering he even made it up onto the treadmill, in a wheelchair, Hell, he earned it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'll just leave this here:

It was not a motorized wheelchair either. Considering he even made it up onto the treadmill, in a wheelchair, Hell, he earned it.

Ah, but it if hadn't exploded would he eventually have taken off?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Golden Bee posted:

Is jokers daughter just as dumb a concept as I first thought when I read it? I remember reading a catwoman comic maybe where she took over a village of deformed people in the infinitely sized Gotham sewers.

what I know of her is: she started off claiming to be the jokers daughter, which was dumb. Then it was steadily revealed she claims to be a lot of batman's villains' daughters, and is probably full of poo poo. This made it less dumb, possibly even funny as she steadily made more and more outlandish claims nobody bought (My dad is Doomsday! I was resurrected by a Lazarus pit!)

then it turned out she's an alternate reality joker's daughter and her consciousness shifts between parallel universes or something and it's dumb again, followed by her wearing the joker's face or something I know most of this second hand

edit: also she changed ages like three times, something something timeglitch

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 24, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bessantj posted:

All of that's amazing.

Silly stuff like that is why I both love and hate the Flash.

I feel like this image should be the de facto response in this thread when time line stuff/universe changes are brought up.

*curb your enthusiasm theme plays*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LadyPictureShow posted:

Silly stuff like that is why I both love and hate the Flash.

I feel like this image should be the de facto response in this thread when time line stuff/universe changes are brought up.

*curb your enthusiasm theme plays*

Is it a good idea to have those spikes on the handrail? You could hurt yourself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
His time machine is literally a treadmill? Lol

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

Is it a good idea to have those spikes on the handrail? You could hurt yourself.

What else is the electricity going to arc between?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

Excuse me, it's a cosmic treadmill, thank you very much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

You see, he runs and therefore...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

You see, he runs and therefore...

Hate to see what they come up with if he had to use ice skates.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bessantj posted:

Hate to see what they come up with if he had to use ice skates.

Cosmic short-track speed skating rink, duh.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

Cosmic short-track speed skating rink, duh.

Where does he keep the treadmill?

Has Quicksilver ever run back in time?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nobody tell this guy about Black Racer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Nobody tell this guy about Black Racer.