Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

someone photoshop chris's head on to the wolf from the neverending story tia

Are wolves considered sexy?

Asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bargaining or acceptance?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Bargaining or acceptance?

I think the Ben arc is one of the most interesting facets of this debacle. Ben was an insane hyper-fan, goes to work for the "creator" of Wing Commander, is there for years, then fucks off and asks another studio to make the game. Whether or not Ben left on his own or was let go is immaterial. Of all the people in the world, he's the one I'd look to to make the judgement call as to whether or not Squadron 42 is going to be what Chris claims it will be, and the answer is an emphatic "No." This is a vote of no confidence from someone who was Chris's biggest fan, and who got to see the reality in person. There's weight behind that.

must resist joke, must resist joke...

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

I think the Ben arc is one of the most interesting facets of this debacle. Ben was an insane hyper-fan, goes to work for the "creator" of Wing Commander, is there for years, then fucks off and asks another studio to make the game. Whether or not Ben left on his own or was let go is immaterial. Of all the people in the world, he's the one I'd look to to make the judgement call as to whether or not Squadron 42 is going to be what Chris claims it will be, and the answer is an emphatic "No." This is a vote of no confidence from someone who was Chris's biggest fan, and who got to see the reality in person. There's weight behind that.

must resist joke, must resist joke...

In Ben's defense, SQ42 is not set in the same universe of wing commander he fell in love with.

An actual sequel or remake of that game is the only thing he cares about.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

monkeytek posted:

This right here is why so many in that community are primary examples of ridicule. How can you on one hand make the constant remark that Roberts is such a perfectionist, that he is his own worst enemy when it comes to releasing things on time due to his wanting every thing to be perfect and on the other hand look at the bug ridden mess that is the PU and see absolutely no conflict between your assertion and reality.

Tier 0 you fucker

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Lladre posted:

In Ben's defense, SQ42 is not set in the same universe of wing commander he fell in love with.

Pretty sure there is also some element of disgruntled spite towards previous employers sacking him in that.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thoatse posted:

The Chris Roberts development style conveyed via interpretive dance freestyle motorcycle riding

https://i.imgur.com/iFAiODg.mp4

if this is also the store citizer development timeline...then i think we are at the point where chris tries to climb onto his bike again.

edit: also this gif clearly teaches us how important it is to have a good roadmap.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bumble He posted:

if this is also the store citizer development timeline...then i think we are at the point where chris tries to climb onto his bike again.

edit: also this gif clearly teaches us how important it is to have a good roadmap.

That gif would be a bit closer to Chris if he was sitting on the ground next to a square wheel, surrounded by motorcycle parts from different manufacturers, some parts from entirely different vehicles, all the wrong tools to assemble it, and a blueprint he was holding upside-down.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Scruffpuff posted:

That gif would be a bit closer to Chris if he was sitting on the ground next to a square wheel, surrounded by motorcycle parts from different manufacturers, some parts from entirely different vehicles, all the wrong tools to assemble it, and a blueprint he was holding upside-down.

Also he's trying to build a helicopter

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

Also he's trying to build a helicopter

It's 1/72nd scale.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

It's 1/72nd scale.

Are you sure you don't mean 1/42nd? :sandance:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Random selected clip. 25 minutes in, they talk CitCon. Bored is excited because he’s pretty sure we just might get a release date for Squadron.

We’ve been getting those since 2014, Bored. We supposedly already have one we can count on now. You put out a video years ago called ”4 Reasons to be Excited About Star Citizen” in which you cited “Squadron 42 is coming out next year” as one of the reasons.

Just stop.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Random selected clip. 25 minutes in, they talk CitCon. Bored is excited because he’s pretty sure we just might get a release date for Squadron.

We’ve been getting those since 2014, Bored. We supposedly already have one we can count on now. You put out a video years ago called ”4 Reasons to be Excited About Star Citizen” in which you cited “Squadron 42 is coming out next year” as one of the reasons.

Just stop.

Yes but all of those dates were lies. The next one might not be!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Yes but all of those dates were lies. The next one might not be!

It's actually possible that the next date we get isn't an outright lie, if what we're hearing about investor pressure is true. They still won't make it, but that's a given.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

It's actually possible that the next date we get isn't an outright lie, if what we're hearing about investor pressure is true. They still won't make it, but that's a given.

Okay, it's an aspiration rather than a deadline.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

We supposedly already have one we can count on now. You put out a video years ago called ”4 Reasons to be Excited About Star Citizen” in which you cited “Squadron 42 is coming out next year” as one of the reasons.

The video is from 2016, which would make 2017 the year everything happens.

I might have missed it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

Oh man, I hope it's real. If so whatever they're forced to cobble together is gonna be pretty funny.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh man, I hope it's real. If so whatever they're forced to cobble together is gonna be pretty funny.

My personal hope is that they do release something on their deadline date. Note the use of the word "something." Because I'm guessing it'll be the long-hinted-at "SQ42 PRELUDE" which will include Old Man telling you to stay frosty while you walk slowly through a badly-rendered corridor and it will end with a glass overlook with a blast shield slowly sliding to the side revealing your "ship" in all its glory, where the game will abruptly end with a "to be continued...." Goons will all roar with laughter while the commandos all :gizz:

Edit: found it. I assume Chris watched this too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrYsg2RFL30

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 24, 2019

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

MedicineHut posted:

Pretty sure there is also some element of disgruntled spite towards previous employers sacking him in that.

It seemed like by the time he was let go, he was more than happy to be gone from the place.

Never meet your heroes, let alone go to work for them.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I need to start seeding completely innocuous conversations with bits about Star Citizen to see who comes out of the woodwork.

Edit: Unless you didn't know, redchris18 is literally the poster child for arguing in bad faith, shifting the goalposts and otherwise being a huge cock-monster in support of the project, which raises the suspicion in me that he's a current developer.

The problem writ large in dealing with Chris is that he'll claim a bunch of stuff that you can't actually confirm, so the 'same branch of cryengine/lumberyard' is actually largely conjectural and based on CiG saying that it took them three days (shortly before their _year long hiatus_ in late 2016). It's also really loving hard to believe, given that Lumberyard forked at one point, and they would have needed to stop pulling the cryengine master at the same time.

What's more likely is they spend a year aligning the code and removing overt references to Cryengine 3 to bring it up to date with lumberyard, which has had updates since.

This is all around the fact that gamelift is really a work in progress, amazon is cash rich and trying to spend it's way into new niches, and that Lumberyard hasn't created the kind of ecosystem they need.

ie the current fashion in Corporates is to build an ecosystem and hope someone gets trapped enough to contribute some free code back.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 24, 2019

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Scruffpuff posted:

My personal hope is that they do release something on their deadline date. Note the use of the word "something." Because I'm guessing it'll be the long-hinted-at "SQ42 PRELUDE" which will include Old Man telling you to stay frosty while you walk slowly through a badly-rendered corridor and it will end with a glass overlook with a blast shield slowly sliding to the side revealing your "ship" in all its glory, where the game will abruptly end with a "to be continued...." Goons will all roar with laughter while the commandos all :gizz:

And the Citizens will conveniently forget about trying to dunk on Fallout 76 and Anthem and No Man's Sky for their botched/rushed/cut-down releases to meet deadlines

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

stop posting bullshit glass door stuff.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

stop posting bullshit, glass door stuff.

Edited for clarity

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tl;dr - If you don't know the internet is largely an unregulated advertising medium in YOOL 2019, I have an absolute fuckton of beanie babies to shift.

Hmm. If this is true, why is most of Fig now owned by Microsoft?

If this is true, why does a record producer's son own 10%?

More seriously, the business-as-usual model is actually working pretty well, but it's the bigger publishers that are putting constraints on the games being a single shot and done. Witcher 3 is complete, for example.

EA is never going to change who it is; they literally build their entire EA Sports line to iterate every year based on new lineups, and applied that same model to a bunch of their other properties; there is a reason they're called 'season pass'. I hear that Paradox is moving in that direction with monetization of expansions to keep the plate spinning - Stellaris is doing fairly well from it, but Hearts of Iron less so. Crusader Kings 2 has started getting a bit spendy.

The problem is that Star Citizen might have started out as a plucky indy, but there's a good $200 million reasons in technical debt alone that tends to move you out of 'Hello Games' territory.

I think the thing that amuses me the most about this whole thing is the attempt to own all sides. The game is huge. The game is encompassing things that have never been done before. The game has to rewrite the book on scaling. You can pick them out from most of the stalwart's posts on pretty much any subject, but as soon as you start to make some valid comparisons, the goalposts move and you're comparing another, entirely complete, game and Star Citizen.

I like how the citizen put 'programmer' as title.

MedicineHut posted:

Edited for clarity

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Edit: that thread, though;

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 24, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Hav posted:

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

"The complex houses married and single soldiers and their families."

Let me know if you read it right first time :smugdon:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

We now have evidence that those nefarious Icelanders over at EVE Online have ripped off Star Citizen again! They had a massive NPC on NPC fleet battle on total accident without any players or devs involved in a living universe that exists beyond people's participation. Clearly CIG should sue for copypatent infringement.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

stop poe! sting bull! poo poo glass. door stuck.

the directors cut of your post just came out. it brings even more clarity.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bumble He posted:

the directors cut of your post just came out. it brings even more clarity.

Ah, the Jodorowsky cut of the original BNBL post.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

let me know when there is a plinkett review.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Lladre posted:

SQ42 must have a distinct lack of bulldozers.

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 24, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

"what's wrong with your everythiiinnnggg"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hav posted:

Edit: that thread, though;

Ooh man, that person can expect a ban by the end of the day, followed by maybe a refund by the end of the week lol. Everything they said is absolutely true, but CIG has banned backers for less.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

numberhh one

da characturrrs

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Ooh man, that person can expect a ban by the end of the day, followed by maybe a refund by the end of the week lol. Everything they said is absolutely true, but CIG has banned backers for less.

He has more upvotes than the other guy. I can only assume deepcover goon.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rugganovich posted:

Or Kingdom Come Deliverance.
And don't get me started on the turkeys in far Cry 5.

Sekiro also has some startlingly nasty roosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
From the SC Leaks discord:

The next versions of the UIs (tier 2?) will still use Scaleform, a third-party tech that Lumberyard doesn't support :shrug: