Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

So how is it better than other editions? You didn't argue that it was mediocre, you said it was better than 1e/2e/3e.

1e is better dungeon crawling.
2e is the actual narrative theater of the mind game 5e tries to be.
3e is the fiddly bits and crazy characters game that's way better for tactical challenge.

What is 5e actually better at as a game? What games can you run with it that you can't with any other edition you listed?

I find 5E runs best if you come at it like an updated 2E.

In particular, whilst the kits idea in the 2E supplement line was good in theory, it was kind of janky in practice, and whilst kits were meant to vary by class in practice a lot of the class kits ended up being class-specific reskins of the same basic idea. 5E backgrounds does what 2E kits want to do, but much more elegantly, less restrictively, and much easier to balance. Likewise, the proficiency system in 5E allows you to be particularly skilled in various areas of expertise without being as fiddly as the 3E skill system or the 2E weapon proficiency/nonweapon proficiency system (and in particular punishes you less for stepping outside of your areas of proficiency, and so feels less constraining).

Warthur fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Meinberg posted:

As riveting as this discussion about D&D is, it might be better suited for the D&D or chat threads.

In other industry news, [url=v http://www.game-chef.com/game-chef-2019/]Game Chef 2019 is currently running![/url] Game Chef is one of the more storied game competitions still active. It definitely leans indie, but there’s room for all sorts and some very interesting games typically make it to the finals. For designers entering, you can get up to four pieces of critique on your game (four people are tapped to provide feedback but not everyone does.). All in all, I recommend checking it out (and I’m not just saying that because I was a finalist last year).

I did GameChef one year but was put off by its overbroad nature. It didn't make any difference while I was writing, but then I was supposed to judge others' games and found myself trying to judge a board game against an RPG and sort of threw up my hands like what am I even supposed to do. How do you judge a curry against a cake if the only commonality is that they both used coconut as the special ingredient? It felt to me like it would be better if it was more focused, or even maybe split into at least two categories.

Edit: also, trying to judge a board game from its rulebook is nuts anyway. Like, when you read the rules for Tash Kalar, you have no idea if the game is a heap of garbage or if it's brilliant - you have to actually play it to find out how good it is. RPGs are a lot easier to judge in that regard, since the mechanics tend to be a lot looser and less intertwined.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 24, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Meinberg posted:

As riveting as this discussion about D&D is, it might be better suited for the D&D or chat threads.

Which of them?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

I did GameChef one year but was put off by its overbroad nature. It didn't make any difference while I was writing, but then I was supposed to judge others' games and found myself trying to judge a board game against an RPG and sort of threw up my hands like what am I even supposed to do. How do you judge a curry against a cake if the only commonality is that they both used coconut as the special ingredient? It felt to me like it would be better if it was more focused, or even maybe split into at least two categories.

Edit: also, trying to judge a board game from its rulebook is nuts anyway. Like, when you read the rules for Tash Kalar, you have no idea if the game is a heap of garbage or if it's brilliant - you have to actually play it to find out how good it is. RPGs are a lot easier to judge in that regard, since the mechanics tend to be a lot looser and less intertwined.

There's definitely some stuff you can suss out about a game from its manual, but for board games, it's much more limited as to what everything looks like in play compared to RPG books. That they don't try to separate RPGs from Board Games or some other "analog game" type seems like a misstep too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

All this D&D chat makes me sad that Shadow of the Demon Lord is such a great way to get that D&D style experience with much better rules. A big shame about all the dumb 13 year old level of edginess.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's funny that it has tables that give you gross starting equipment like a jar full of spit, that you can just throw away.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lord_Hambrose posted:

All this D&D chat makes me sad that Shadow of the Demon Lord is such a great way to get that D&D style experience with much better rules. A big shame about all the dumb 13 year old level of edginess.

There's going to be a non-poo poo-obsessed version coming out soon, iirc.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

It's funny that it has tables that give you gross starting equipment like a jar full of spit, that you can just throw away.

i like that in godless one of the interesting things you can roll is a copy of shadow of the demon lord

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Piell posted:

There is? That sounds great.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Piell posted:

Do you mean D&D, or Shadow of the Demon Lord?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Andrast posted:

There is? That sounds great.

Unfortunately it looks like it's a separate game and not just a rewrite with all the gross-out obsession removed, after looking it up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah that seems much less interesting since I was looking for fantasy stuff, not post-apocalyptic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Andrast posted:

Yeah that seems much less interesting since I was looking for fantasy stuff, not post-apocalyptic.
Punkapocalpytic is it's own, uhh, "powered by the demon lord" game for post-apoc stuff. "Shadow of the Mad Wizard" is the current name for Schwalb's family-friendly fantasy game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I dunno, man. I was really enjoying SotDL while playing it but with a few months away from it and the perspective of distance, I am no longer convinced about the 'much better rules' bit. Maybe in the original core book, but there's some dire balance issues scattered throughout, and the splat books made those worse.

Well, I guess you're comparing it to 5e though, in which case, fair enough.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Punkapocalpytic is it's own, uhh, "powered by the demon lord" game for post-apoc stuff. "Shadow of the Mad Wizard" is the current name for Schwalb's family-friendly fantasy game.

Ok now I'm interested again

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cassa posted:

Ranger and Bard, totally balanced.

Like someone else said, better than 3E. In 5E there's just less crazy scaling/transcendence of the basic parameters of the game, so even though one of those classes has way more options, quality of life bonuses, and advantages in the game's various minigames than the other they're still basically living in the same universe.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

A knitting site my wife uses called Ravelry banned supporting Trump and cited RPG.net in their message :unsmith:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

alg posted:

A knitting site my wife uses called Ravelry banned supporting Trump and cited RPG.net in their message :unsmith:

Mine told me about it too, high-five for grognards with knitting partners :hf:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Good for that site, but it really says something about the world we live in that a knitting website needs to specify that Nazis are bad.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Xiahou Dun posted:

Good for that site, but it really says something about the world we live in that a knitting website needs to specify that Nazis are bad.

Old people are more likely to knit, and also more likely to be racist

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It is a super dedicated racist that it comes out in their knitting. You need to really eat sleep and breathe your racism for that to happen.

Which is my point. God drat that’s some impressive racism.

(Is it still impressive if you hate it? I don’t have a better word off-hand. It’s like someone building a shed out of human skulls ; they’re definitely a monster, but they’re certainly a committed monster.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

alg posted:

Yeah I've been seeing some of the fallout from this and it's pretty hilarious, but also good for them. As much poo poo as people here like to give RPGnet's moderation, there aren't a lot of well-trafficked internet forums out there which have come right out and said "if you're a Trump supporter we don't want you, gently caress off" and it's nice to see other places picking up the baton.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I've been seeing some of the fallout from this and it's pretty hilarious, but also good for them. As much poo poo as people here like to give RPGnet's moderation, there aren't a lot of well-trafficked internet forums out there which have come right out and said "if you're a Trump supporter we don't want you, gently caress off" and it's nice to see other places picking up the baton.

That's not really what the RPG.net statement says though, just "don't openly talk about supporting Trump." If they didn't want Trump supporters at all you'd be able to clown on them relentlessly.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Arivia posted:

That's not really what the RPG.net statement says though, just "don't openly talk about supporting Trump." If they didn't want Trump supporters at all you'd be able to clown on them relentlessly.

Nah, quite a few Trumpers get off on this poo poo and so it just turns into trash heap. Their entire identity is based around being aggressive idiots who reject reason and evidence in the favor of whatever they want reality to be so you can't "clown on them" in any way that will drive them off.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nana told me it was going to be a maze when she was finished.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Long before Trump and his ilk waddled along, I remember hearing that knitting online communities were notorious for batshit flamewars for whatever reason. So strangely, this surprising me less than if it was something like, a scrapbooking forum.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Desiden posted:

Long before Trump and his ilk waddled along, I remember hearing that knitting online communities were notorious for batshit flamewars for whatever reason. So strangely, this surprising me less than if it was something like, a scrapbooking forum.

knitting has a long history of activism

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zurui posted:

Nah, quite a few Trumpers get off on this poo poo and so it just turns into trash heap. Their entire identity is based around being aggressive idiots who reject reason and evidence in the favor of whatever they want reality to be so you can't "clown on them" in any way that will drive them off.

Yeah, they just perma'd a dude who said he refused to use his account because of the site's lies about Trump, or equivalent. The staff were like 'kay bye' and banned him. They might have well used that .gif of Curly Bill from Tombstone.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There is an old aphorism about how when you wrestle a pig, you both get dirty, but the pig likes it. While this is slanderous to the pig the principle seems the same for a lot of these internet assholes. Indeed I feel sometimes like we give them extra life when we do more than go "Disgusting, you're banned"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

There is an old aphorism about how when you wrestle a pig, you both get dirty, but the pig likes it. While this is slanderous to the pig the principle seems the same for a lot of these internet assholes. Indeed I feel sometimes like we give them extra life when we do more than go "Disgusting, you're banned"

I mean I kinda go back and forth on it. Sometimes "decorum" is garbage and it's fine to discuss exactly why someone is a terrible human being who, for example, has yet to deny that they poo poo their pants at a Chik-Fil-A on the last day of GenCon 17, but other times it feels like retreading well-trodden ground. The important thing is that they're made unwelcome, however it happens.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

kingcom posted:

You are really burying the lead on the big story.

Not in the slightest. Coming in from a smaller game store where the owner set aside a set of drawers to store all of their stuff (Pathfinder Society), and getting bent out of shape when the owner of the larger store can't dedicate the same amount of space. Getting frustrated because he isn't stocking Pathfinder products fast enough and dismissing what he does have(lots of minis). Not cleaning up after themselves when the space they use is free, bringing in outside snacks and drinks when it's the only real rule the shop has regarding food(ordering out/bringing in homemade stuff is fine). Calling him all sorts of hateful, foul things in their discord server.

We're not exactly sad to see them go.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

I mean I kinda go back and forth on it. Sometimes "decorum" is garbage and it's fine to discuss exactly why someone is a terrible human being who, for example, has yet to deny that they poo poo their pants at a Chik-Fil-A on the last day of GenCon 17, but other times it feels like retreading well-trodden ground. The important thing is that they're made unwelcome, however it happens.
I don't mean these people are any less shitheads, I mean that for the ones who want to be Martyrs for Trump, the prospect that they're making The Shitlibs upset and constantly talking about them is gratifying. At a certain point (and where that point is is a matter of art, not science) they are still getting to set the terms of the society even after they've been ejected.

This doesn't mean you should ignore, or not publicize, facts, say about Zak S dropping a deuce in his jeans at Chick-fil-A at GenCon '17 of course.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What actually matters is that they're doing it somewhere else. They go off to radicalize each other like they would anyway, but the quarantine preserves knit-chat or RPG discussion or whatever.

Who cares that they're relishing the ostracism? They'd be equally happy and proud to get kicked out of a forum or a Taco Bell. As far as I can tell, MAGA hat sales are driven equally by tribalism and masochism.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not masochistic, it's sadistic. Since we're decades past the point where who you vote for actually makes a difference in your life, the only joy to be had is in making the other team's fans cry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's basically a prop they can crucify themselves on. When the Starbucks barista pushes back against their lovely attitude, it's clear persecution for the MAGA hat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

It's basically a prop they can crucify themselves on. When the Starbucks barista pushes back against their lovely attitude, it's clear persecution for the MAGA hat.
This is pretty much it. It's about how they are the real victims and proves they're right.

It's the idea that these are their "beliefs" and you can't hold these beliefs against them because as we all know all ideas are equally valid.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is pretty much it. It's about how they are the real victims and proves they're right.

It's the idea that these are their "beliefs" and you can't hold these beliefs against them because as we all know all ideas are equally valid.

Also wilful misunderstanding of what freedom of speech means, in a lot of cases.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

It has always astounded me how intensely post-modern these fools are.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The NSDAP was the first postmodern political party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Nessus posted:

Exactly. They are behaving like this because it gives them power. Being a huge piece of poo poo drives away competitors and lets them be top dog. It is assholes attempting the stupidest laziest power play and they need to be shut down hard.