Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Any of you use odb2 apps with your car? Got any recommendations? Torque is ancient.

I used Dash when I was interested in that sort of thing but that's not truely an odb2 app. As dated as it might be, I used Torque for a quick check the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

I used Dash when I was interested in that sort of thing but that's not truely an odb2 app. As dated as it might be, I used Torque for a quick check the other day.

Torque is definitely useful, it's just ugly as poo poo. I'll try out Dash, thanks!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Torque is definitely useful, it's just ugly as poo poo. I'll try out Dash, thanks!

Full disclosure: It's more cute-y tech saviour app ... And I lost interest

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd like a recommendation for an app that might be able to give my S8's camera more functionality, video-wise. Nothing crazy like Filmic Pro, but is there something between that and the stock camera app?

Edit: decided to go with Cinema FV-5. Hope this is worth it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 19, 2019

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
There was this one app I used to have on my old s5 that gave you a bunch of info on whatever networks and signals you phone could see. It was really neat, anyone know of anything similar available nowadays?

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

There was this one app I used to have on my old s5 that gave you a bunch of info on whatever networks and signals you phone could see. It was really neat, anyone know of anything similar available nowadays?

WiFi Analyzer is what I use.

Edit: Based on those recent reviews it looks like it needs location permissions, and doesn't necessarily ask for them, so heads up.

GigaFuzz fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 18, 2019

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Any recommendations for breaking news apps? Specifically a aggregate that just provides alerts/notifications to breaking news.

The one I used to use, Breaking News, the push notifications don't work and the app was removed for the playstore. It was so simple and basic but worked great.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I didn't know if I should post it here or not, but since it's kinda an app request: is there any app that lets me take small video screenshots (or at least just a bunch of screenshots at once) of my screen? There's a game I like the graphics of, and wouldn't mind blatantly stealing nabbing some of the animated sprites for... well, gently caress if I know, but something.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't know if I should post it here or not, but since it's kinda an app request: is there any app that lets me take small video screenshots (or at least just a bunch of screenshots at once) of my screen? There's a game I like the graphics of, and wouldn't mind blatantly stealing nabbing some of the animated sprites for... well, gently caress if I know, but something.

Google Play Games supports screen recording

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I think that's out of date (or at least unclear / lacking specificity), because I don't know what the 'game details page' is and thus can't find any record button. Tried googling some visual aids, but almost every result is from 2015 and is not using a version of the Play Games app I've got.

Thanks for trying though :(.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I know Snapchat isn't known for their Android coding expertise, but has anyone noticed that whole the volume buttons everywhere else control media volume, inside Snapchat they only seem to control system volume?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I know Snapchat isn't known for their Android coding expertise, but has anyone noticed that whole the volume buttons everywhere else control media volume, inside Snapchat they only seem to control system volume?

It controls media volume in the app for me, just checked.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

It controls media volume in the app for me, just checked.

I should have specified, it controls media volume for me while a video is playing, but from the screen that shows what new snaps you have, it controls system volume for me, which is annoying because I want to make sure media volume is up BEFORE I start a five second video.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I should have specified, it controls media volume for me while a video is playing, but from the screen that shows what new snaps you have, it controls system volume for me, which is annoying because I want to make sure media volume is up BEFORE I start a five second video.

Mine controls system volume at the snap list so it sounds like it's working as the app intended

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Oh! Yeah wtf. That's annoying.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

MisterBibs posted:

I think that's out of date (or at least unclear / lacking specificity), because I don't know what the 'game details page' is and thus can't find any record button. Tried googling some visual aids, but almost every result is from 2015 and is not using a version of the Play Games app I've got.

Thanks for trying though :(.

Odd. I actually tried it out in 2048 shortly before posting. My version of Google Play Games is from the US Play Store, version 2019.05.10327, and I'm running it on a Pixel 3XL.

That said, I looked at the Google Play Games listing in the Play store and wonder if the "* Only available in certain countries" footnote might be the issue. At launch, looks like it was announced to work in the US and the UK, can't seem to find if any other countries were ever added.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 23, 2019

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I'm setting up a miniDLNA media server on a raspberry pi for my car, what android app should I install on my kids tablets so they can stream movies from it instead of fighting constantly? Looking for something with a real simple interface, ideally.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Plex or Emby?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Uthor posted:

Plex or Emby?

I'm already using plex for a home media server, don't want the kids accidentally streaming content over the 4g connection rather than from the in-car server. I'll look into emby.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
why don't you just download stuff in plex on the kids tablets for offline viewing?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Dietrich posted:

I'm already using plex for a home media server, don't want the kids accidentally streaming content over the 4g connection rather than from the in-car server. I'll look into emby.

Which os on the tablets? Can't remember for sure but I think you can disable mobile data use on Android for certain apps

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Heners_UK posted:

Which os on the tablets? Can't remember for sure but I think you can disable mobile data use on Android for certain apps

They've got kindle fires, but I side loaded the google play store so anything that would work on android 7.1.2 will work on them.

I've got a 4G modem attached to the pi, it's a combo wifi hotspot and media server.

Ideally I want an app that just sees the upnp server on the lan and lets them select a title from it to watch.

wolfbiker posted:

why don't you just download stuff in plex on the kids tablets for offline viewing?

That's not a bad option. I haven't really tried that since I upgraded my plex server to something non-ancient.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Do kindles have OTG capability? You could dump media on that bunch of older flash drives you probably have lying around, or even a laptop drive in a USB enclosure.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just a heads up for anyone like me that has been waiting, Google is starting to roll out the redesigned Android auto for head units. It's a server side switch so no app update (and as a result, no way to force it to happen quicker)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Got a preview link? I don't use Auto anymore, but am curious what it looks like.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My car dealership offers to install Android Auto (which I'd assume replaces the stock head unit UI?) for $400.

Is it worth looking into? I've never used android auto.

The car's a 2015 Mazda.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Annath posted:

My car dealership offers to install Android Auto (which I'd assume replaces the stock head unit UI?) for $400.

Is it worth looking into? I've never used android auto.

The car's a 2015 Mazda.

I'd say so. I'm not a fan of the stock Mazda interface which I have in both a 2018 and 2019 and it's certainly better than that.

If you're confident in what you're doing you can order the parts and install it yourself (the only part consists of a higher power USB block) or if you're on an older firmware you can just install the AIO community-sourced firmware that is a bit better than Mazda's implementation. I only mention that because the dealer cost for the official upgrade is a bit on the crazy side.

Edit:

Uthor posted:

Got a preview link? I don't use Auto anymore, but am curious what it looks like.

Here's one.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 26, 2019

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

If you're confident in what you're doing you can order the parts and install it yourself (the only part consists of a higher power USB block) or if you're on an older firmware you can just install the AIO community-sourced firmware that is a bit better than Mazda's implementation. I only mention that because the dealer cost for the official upgrade is a bit on the crazy side.

Aren't head units with Android Auto like $400+ anyways? Getting that plus a the manufacturer installing it is a pretty good price imo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

Aren't head units with Android Auto like $400+ anyways? Getting that plus a the manufacturer installing it is a pretty good price imo

They're not installing a full head unit just a power block and a software update lmao.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

As someone with Android auto in his head unit I wouldn't pay $400 for it in its current state

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is the android auto functionality worth having to plug your phone into your car every time? Do you guys only use it for road trips or if you have long commutes?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have a 3d printed dock with a right angle USB C so I just slide my phone into the spot everytime I get in the car. It doesn't take much time at all

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I use a combination of bluetooth and android auto. If i'm just running around short trips, then I'll just use bluetooth. But if I'm driving for longer than 20 minutes or so I usually plug in.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm partial to Android Auto the phone app version, but by no means is it the be all and end all.

I'll be honest, I'm still a fan of physical buttons to some extent. My Subaru stock radio is sometimes more usable than a smartphone if I want to quickly get something playing or listen to the radio etc.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the android auto functionality worth having to plug your phone into your car every time? Do you guys only use it for road trips or if you have long commutes?

It's worth plugging in your phone for even short trips just because quick charging on even a ten minute drive will pretty much always ensure you never drop below 80%. My commute is only 12 minutes but by the time I'm home my phone is mostly charged after a full day at work.

I get the convenience of not taking the phone out of one's pocket but I usually put it in the nook right next to the charging block anyway just because it's hard to get to in my pocket while driving, so it only takes a second more to snap the perfectly shaped cable into the port.

Oh yeah I usually use Google Assistant to control the garage door and I need it plugged in to do that.

The more I think about it the more I definitely prefer it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any plans/announcements about Auto working wirelessly someday?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Yes but automakers would have to support that first and unlike phones they both don't have yearly development cycles and have little incentive to support expensive and niche technologies if what they have now is "good enough".

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Incessant Excess posted:

Mine works wirelessly. I have a kenwood head unit. I like it so far. I'm excited to get the update...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I don't understand is why someone can't just make a USB dongle to enable wireless Android Auto with any AA head unit.

It take seems like something that should be possible pretty easily. If for some reason the USB port didn't provide enough power for that, then you could provide extra power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

What I don't understand is why someone can't just make a USB dongle to enable wireless Android Auto with any AA head unit.

It take seems like something that should be possible pretty easily. If for some reason the USB port didn't provide enough power for that, then you could provide extra power.

I know the reason I wouldn't do it is because I wouldn't trust Google not to break it.