Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Roadie posted:

But that that point, it was already filmed and could have been stock footage.

I suspect the bigger reason was just that it turned out to be boring as hell once actually put into a sequence instead of tension-building.

I dunno, they said filming with saucer sep was expensive for production reasons. :shrug: But yes they also said showing the separation broke up the action in a way that wasn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Part of the expense would be having to dress the battle bridge set, since that set was typically used to make alien bridge sets as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if the producers just didn't like the set.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The saucer separation was a good idea on paper. You want to sell the possibility that the ship can handle space battles while also essentially being a cruise ship. It really just turned out to be unnecessary due to the type of stories they ended up doing, I think. TOS almost always had to fall back on fighting some villain of the week, but TNG evolved beyond that.

Speaking of evolving beyond things, I just watched the TNG episode "Suddenly Human" and was pleasantly surprised. It was like a season 4 satire of a season 2 episode. It's an early example of what DS9 would explore more in-depth, that the assumption that human culture is best for everyone by default is not always a good idea.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
"Tapestry" is such a weird episode because Q has to basically talk Picard into making his monkey paw wish. I feel like the moral is a little iffy in how it can justify tons of lovely behavior that lovely men take part in.

But the thing I actually like about it is that it actually feels like Picard is viewing Q as something closer to a friend which is fun. Picard amused reaction of "You're not God!" is great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Whose your favorite Spock sibling? Mines

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timeless Appeal posted:

"Tapestry" is such a weird episode because Q has to basically talk Picard into making his monkey paw wish. I feel like the moral is a little iffy in how it can justify tons of lovely behavior that lovely men take part in.

But the thing I actually like about it is that it actually feels like Picard is viewing Q as something closer to a friend which is fun. Picard amused reaction of "You're not God!" is great.
I just like it on the level of ‘you shouldn’t look back at your past with regret’, although yes i can see how you can read it as justifying Picard being a dick as a cadet

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Whose your favorite Spock sibling? Mines

Well since Serek and Picard melded, mine is Jean Luc's son in the nexus who got the Aliens Space Marine Evac Shuttle for Christmas

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timeless Appeal posted:

But the thing I actually like about it is that it actually feels like Picard is viewing Q as something closer to a friend which is fun.

i have such sights

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Astroman posted:

I think BF does some Star Trek but it's like licensed fiction with new characters. Which is too bad, because so many of the actors are still alive and would be willing--just look at how many did fan films.

Wasn't it some German licensed fiction which Big Finish adapted?

I've got to think with the new resurgence in Trek (or whatever's causing them to commission several new series) the chances of BF getting permission to do 'proper' Trek is minimal. Even though there's not a chance CBS would ever do something like them...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Chakotay and Seven stuff in season 7 seems deliberately targeted towards pissing the show's fanbase off.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

The Chakotay and Seven stuff in season 7 seems deliberately targeted towards pissing the show's fanbase off.
I haven't watched Voyager since it aired and quit two seasons into Seven's run even then, but didn't they build up Seven and Kim at first and then just kind of abandoned it?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
First Kim, then the Doctor, then Chakotay, with a handful of dudes of the week thrown in for good measure. None of them go anywhere.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

I haven't watched Voyager since it aired and quit two seasons into Seven's run even then, but didn't they build up Seven and Kim at first and then just kind of abandoned it?

Kim and Seven was entirely one sided and involved him partially being terrified of her. It didn't really have a future.

The Doctor is pretty telegraphed as being something he has to get over, as well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know folks don't care for Q's Voyager episodes, but I don't feel like "Q2" is a story they could have told anywhere else but on Voyager. Picard is not exactly I'd call someone I'd go to for parental insight.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I know folks don't care for Q's Voyager episodes, but I don't feel like "Q2" is a story they could have told anywhere else but on Voyager. Picard is not exactly I'd call someone I'd go to for parental insight.

I care for them but I think Janeway is terrible for not banging Q to get home

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Well since Serek and Picard melded, mine is Jean Luc's son in the nexus who got the Aliens Space Marine Evac Shuttle for Christmas

Kids must have awesome toys in a time where replicators can make literally anything.

That's the type of thing I'd like to see as part of any post-TNG time actually, kids having little android teddy bears and stuff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Like, the Nexus made that toy for Picard's son but the kid isn't real so that's probably what Jean Luc wanted to play with most of all as a kid

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Bloop posted:

Like, the Nexus made that toy for Picard's son but the kid isn't real so that's probably what Jean Luc wanted to play with most of all as a kid

Hell of a tea infuser, then.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Picard is so cheap he gives his kids the reject liquor. That’s a good business man.

e: On second look, it looks like some kind of fighter. Giving your kids booze is a better Xmas gift.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 25, 2019

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Nodosaur posted:

IIRC it was something that Robert Beltran demanded in a failed attempt to get fired since he hated being on Voyager so much. He asked for ridiculous raises too but kept getting them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Automatic Slim posted:

Picard is so cheap he gives his kids the reject liquor. That’s a good business man.

e: On second look, it looks like some kind of fighter. Giving your kids booze is a better Xmas gift.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Robert Beltran himself said in a Reddit Q&A that a lot of his statements about the show were flippant and read into too much by the fanbase, and that much of what people say he did to antagonize everyone on the show didn't actually happen. He also said that the ship was something Jeri Ryan pushed for in the same Q&A.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I want to see a modern version of the Trekkies documentary hosted by Robert Beltran

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

how about a version of it that acknowledges and is positive about women's role in establishing Star Trek fandom as we know it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jake Sisko changes the past, new timeline has a war that kills millions in it that didn't occur in the previous order of events

Admiral Janeway changes the past, gets her crew home 20 years early early, deals a critical blow to the greatest enemy the Federation has ever known, and saves the life/health of two of her crew

One of these the Trek fandom sees as an irredeemable monster playing with lives and destiny on a cosmic scale. Can you guess which?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodosaur posted:

Robert Beltran himself said in a Reddit Q&A that a lot of his statements about the show were flippant and read into too much by the fanbase, and that much of what people say he did to antagonize everyone on the show didn't actually happen. He also said that the ship was something Jeri Ryan pushed for in the same Q&A.
I mean he just said a bunch of poo poo in that 50 Year Mission book that is maybe 2 years old now

Like how he checked out of the role like halfway through the show and was just doing it for a paycheck when they didn't do much with his character

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't know what that is, nor have I read it. I just was contributing something else he said publicly.

EDIT - Alice Krige is so much creepier as the Borg Queen than Susanna Thompson. For all of Endgame's faults, I'm glad they got her back for one last go around.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 25, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If Ben Sisko was born from a prophet possessing his mother...

Where the gently caress did Mirror Sisko come from?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the same prophet possessing the mirror version of his mother

what, did you expect things to be linear?

also that whole plot is horrifying

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If Ben Sisko was born from a prophet possessing his mother...

Where the gently caress did Mirror Sisko come from?

A Pah Wraith possessing his Dad’s sperm, obviously.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nodosaur posted:

Jake Sisko changes the past, new timeline has a war that kills millions in it that didn't occur in the previous order of events

But, hey, at least he got his dad back! For, like, three years before he vanished again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Angry Salami posted:

But, hey, at least he got his dad back! For, like, three years before he vanished again.

Oh yeah, and also Jadzia is dead forever in this reality

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Does it shoot alcohol?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Nodosaur posted:

Admiral Janeway changes the past, gets her crew home 20 years early early, deals a critical blow to the greatest enemy the Federation has ever known, and saves the life/health of two of her crew

One of these the Trek fandom sees as an irredeemable monster playing with lives and destiny on a cosmic scale. Can you guess which?

To be fair, the episode Jake changes the past in was really good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying, technically every "set right what once went wrong" plot in Star Trek technically involves erasing untold numbers of people from existence, and the fandom arbitrary applies acknowledgement of how the person who did it is

also, you know, that other reality was preferable by absolutely every metric, objectively speaking

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Yeah but the episode was so good though!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Bloop posted:

I care for them but I think Janeway is terrible for not banging Q to get home

I've said this before but while I don't think Janeway should have banged Q to get her crew home early Picard would have done it for his crew.

Nodosaur posted:

One of these two people murdered a man begging for his life in cold blood. Can you guess which?

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 25, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, and Data killed his older brother by writing his own personality over his. Picard watched as an entire culture was wiped out by a storm and only begrudgingly agreed to relocate the remaining ones cuz Worf's brother pulled a fast one. Sisko poisoned an entire planet's atmosphere to catch one man. There's moments like this all throughout the franchise where the writing fails the characters and asks us to accept what is basically murder or a war crime to be the right decision.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

Yes, and Data killed his older brother by writing his own personality over his. Picard watched as an entire culture was wiped out by a storm and only begrudgingly agreed to relocate the remaining ones cuz Worf's brother pulled a fast one. Sisko poisoned an entire planet's atmosphere to catch one man. There's moments like this all throughout the franchise where the writing fails the characters and asks us to accept what is basically murder or a war crime to be the right decision.

The Sisko one is the only one that is played as morally kinna fucky. I mean, it's not Modern Prestige Television Vomit levels of "let's analyze this over the course of a season so the audience knows it might notta been a great choice" morally grey but like... just because the fandom at large assumed it was The Right Choice doesn't mean Sisko assumed it was a good decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always thought the dodgiest moral decision on DS9 was wiping Kurn's memory in "Sons of Mogh". It's one of those endings where it seems the writers managed to be completely oblivious to how not-cool their 'solution' was.