Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Last modded playthrough I did which was lastyear-ish had:
Boss Checklist - Self-explanatory
Calamity - Massive content mod with custom difficulties, completely revamped bosses, weapons, armours, etc
Crystilium - Biome, Items, Bosses
Fargo's Mod - Massive amounts of upgrade chains for accessories leading to wildly overpowered stuff at the end. Also includes npcs, craftable infinite ammo for most consumables, and other knickknacks.
FKBoss Health Bar - Self-explanatory
HERO's Mod - Debug/Console type UI. Useful in modded for when things break.
ItemChecklist - Self-explanatory
Magic Storage - Amazingly simple storage system allowing you to link special chest blocks together into a single interface. Essential, imo.
MaxStackPlus - Self-explanatory
OmniSwing - Makes all (supported) weapons hold to swing constantly. Essential for your fingers.
Player Health Mana Bar - Self-explanatory
Pumpking - Items and light content
Recipe Browser - Searchable list of every recipe (including modded ones). Essential
Reduced Grinding - Increased drop rates of some of the more stupidly rare things.
Simple Auto Chests - Source of infinitely generating items after a high initial cost for each type.
Spirit Mod - Biome, Bosses, Items, Armours
The Deconstructor - Building item that breaks down items into their components for a price
ThoriumMod - Big content mod with weapons, armours, accessories, etc. Routinely buggy (or was at the time)
Tremor - Another content mod.
WingSlot - An extra utility slot just for wings
WhatModIsThisFrom - Simply tells you what mod the item you're hovering over is from. Essential on heavily modded games.

If you decide to also run Fargo's + Calamity I'd suggest running Expert at minimum. Revengeance you'll eventually scale past and Death Mode if you want a challenge.

E: Awful way to start a new page.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely suggest thorium as the most 'actually like a real terraria update' big content mod out there

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I like calamity more than thorium but you can play with both so it isn’t really a big deal

I also wish that magic storage would let you quick stack because it’s pretty perfect aside from that

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Get TML FNA, it's a fork of TModLoader to the FNA toolset which is an open-source reimplementation of the old XNA toolset. The main selling point? Contrarily to XNA, it allows 64-bit builds. And you can use all the extra available memory (provided your computer has more than 4 gigs of RAM, obviously) to load more mods. And yes, you can even get it for the GOG version!

Here's my mod list.

Utilities:
  • Recipe Browser: because the guide is not enough. Find out what items you need to craft something, what items you can craft with something, what creatures drop what items.
  • WorldGen Previewer: makes world generation cooler
  • Wing Slot: may be slightly cheaty (it's functionally an extra accessory slot) but with all these mods you will want more accessory slots anyway.
  • Boss Checklist: with all these mods it can be hard to keep track of what you haven't killed yet
  • Yet Another Boss Health Bar: a must-have, at least until 1.4 arrives and it becomes a vanilla feature.
  • Cheat Sheet: use responsibly
  • Census: find out which NPCs are still waiting to crash on your couch, and what conditions will make them appear.
  • Item Checklist: if you want to check how much stuff you haven't gotten to try out yet...
  • Which Mod Is This From?​: useful for troubleshooting, disambiguating when two mods use the same name for an item, to find out which mod wiki you need to consult for info on one item, to which mod developers you've gotta complain of a mod problem, or just if you're curious
  • BaseMod: Code library used by some other mods in my list.
  • Idglibrary: Code library used by some other mods in my list.

QOL content:
  • Reduced Grinding: a very configurable mod, increase the drop rate of rare items, or get extra NPCs to sell them to you.
  • Quality Of Life: Recipes: some combo accessories that really should have existed in vanilla
  • Happiiny's Miscellaneous Recipes: makes more vanilla stuff craftable
  • Miscellanea: Autofisher, Universal Magnet, and more. The baseball bat is also a hilarious early game weapon.
  • Danew's Mini-Boss NPC: summon mini-bosses and rare creatures
  • Bags Of Holding: useful to avoid getting your inventory cluttered too much.
  • Assorted Crazy Things: it has some useful accessories, the Soul Harvester boss has a fun gimmick, and the dumbest content is gated behind an item you don't need to ever build.
  • More Chest Loot: just some more variety in random chest loot.
  • Magic Storage: so convenient. Some issues in multiplayer, though.
  • Alchemist NPC Lite: reduces the need to farm for herbs, fish, and other ingredients. Get the lite version, though; the full version only adds overpowered stuff gated behind a stupid meme boss.
  • Fargo's Mutant Mod: NPCs that sell summon items for bosses and events you've already defeated. I don't use the Souls mod, which is about overpowered late game stuff partly gated between an Expert Mode 2: Expert Mode Experter setup. (That said, if you like a challenge, do try a Masochist run combined with Calamity's Revengeance mode...)

Base building stuff:

Content mods:
  • Consolaria: mobile- and console-exclusive stuff, now on PC just as they're getting removed from console and mobile. How the tables have turned. WIP, but you can already fight Ocram and the goofy seasonal mobile bosses.
  • Elements Awoken: inserts itself in the regular progression, cool looking content overall, works well thematically with Calamity
  • EAMusic: music addon for Elements Awoken.
  • Shadows of Abaddon: mostly late game/post-Moon Lord stuff
  • GRealm: more content throughout the game, a undead invasion event that gets progressively harder as you beat bosses unlocking new enemy types, lots of stuff. I recomment using cheat sheet to disable the Molten Golems from this though.
  • Peculiarity: mostly early and mid game content. Adds an asteroid field over one of the oceans.
  • Antiaris: changes slightly the normal Terraria progression. Adds a few structures to the world (a couple houses you can repair, a small pirate boat on the left ocean, a cursed tower in the corruption or crimson biome...) and an adventurer gives you quests that you can complete at your leisure.
  • Spirit: more content throughout the game, pretty good overall. No longer being developed though.
  • Calamity: the big content mod for Terraria, more content throughout the game but with a clear focus on late-game and post-Moon Lord stuff.
  • Calamity Mod Music: music for Calamity.
  • Thorium: the other big content mod for Terraria. Adds more content throughout the game, with a focus on developing alternative gameplay styles mostly for multiplayer (with support roles such as healer or bard, even if they're technically viable in single-player). Use cheat sheet to disable Mud Man spawns.

Mods I looked at and decided not to use:
  • Tremor. Dead mod, inconsistent quality (some is good, some is terrible), incompatible with TML 64 (freezes during worldgen on a "generating ruines" [sic] message).
  • Ancients Awakened. I didn't like the look of its inferno, mire, and terrarium biomes, and its void biome can conflict with Peculiarity's asteroid field.
  • Mod of Redemption. Didn't like the look of some of its enemies and bosses.
  • The Split. Likewise.
  • Crystilium. Biome just looked ugly to me.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 21, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

will i be basically choking the world into a goofy mess if i do anything but Large with multiple content mods going?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cat Mattress posted:

Use cheat sheet to disable Mud Man spawns.

And/or get the Auto Trash mod, which lets you specify items to be auto trashed when picked up.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Patware posted:

will i be basically choking the world into a goofy mess if i do anything but Large with multiple content mods going?

Yeah, pretty much. It can be kinda chaotic. I recommend whatever mod it is that lets you expand the world size beyond normal limits so biomes don’t override each other entirely. Just make it wider, not deeper. Or commit to the chaos and make a small map. :getin:

Cat Mattress’ list looks pretty solid, although some of the QoL mods add some kinda game breaking stuff. It’s a matter of taste though. I didn’t even know about Census. Great idea.

In my experience some of Antiaris’ structures don’t play nice with worldgen in heavily modded games. They just don’t generate sometimes. It’s just added flavor with some neat items though, so no big loss.

Also magic storage is basically obligatory with all the extra inventory cruft.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Just a heads up that masochist mode is a pain in the rear end (:v:) but for the wrong reasons. While you're walking around on the surface you can get random boss spawns, which is all fine and dandy but it happens quite often so the end result is you may end up having to kill queen bee ~5 times while walking from the map centre to one of the corners.

In addition, the amount of debuffs it shits on you for falling more than 5 feet in the start is ridiculous.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Is there a way to fix the 64bit fna tmodloader so it doesn't screentear, lag, and really gently caress up the lighting? Because when i installed it it did that and also now i can't use normal 32 bit terraia as it just errors before starting.

Also, if its not obvious, i reccomend being careful with it.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Zoig posted:

Is there a way to fix the 64bit fna tmodloader so it doesn't screentear, lag, and really gently caress up the lighting? Because when i installed it it did that and also now i can't use normal 32 bit terraia as it just errors before starting.

Also, if its not obvious, i reccomend being careful with it.

Did you get Terraria on Steam? You can right click on the game, go to "properties" then "local files", and click "verify integrity of game files..." and it will get the 32 bit Terraria back.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
They need to loving release 1.4. "Sometime 2019, maybe," sucks.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Playing with lots of mods that add several enemies and drops makes it very frustrating to try and get specific items

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

watho posted:

Playing with lots of mods that add several enemies and drops makes it very frustrating to try and get specific items

Yeah. Despite all the mods I'm using, meta detectors are still dropped only by nymphs and still uncraftable. I'm not sure I'll ever meet a nymph in this playthrough; though I should be able to summon one once in hardmode thanks to one of the NPCs, so that's my contingency.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tbh I usually just give myself a cellphone and ankh shield. They're just not worth the headache after the dozens of times I've played through the game.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The cellphone is the one thing it's totally worth cheating in even if you've never earned it the legitimate way first. gently caress those fishing quests forever. The Ankh components at least can be farmed in a few hours with the right setup, so it's not *too* bad but gently caress the loving fish quests, only part of the game I genuinely dislike.

Hey you know what would be awesome in this game about exploring caves and flying/grappling around shooting monsters in hell and poo poo? Sitting in one spot for extended periods of time doing nothing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah cheating in a cellphone ASAP doesn't break anything, though I usually wait until I can get a magic mirror of some sort first, though with all the mods I play with it's usually a trivial craft. I wait on cheating in the ankh shield until I'm at the point I could legally grind for all its components.

I also sometimes cheat in stuff I know I could trivially obtain but which would just waste my time, like low tier ores when I'm already in boss gear and such.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The cellphone is the one thing it's totally worth cheating in even if you've never earned it the legitimate way first. gently caress those fishing quests forever. The Ankh components at least can be farmed in a few hours with the right setup, so it's not *too* bad but gently caress the loving fish quests, only part of the game I genuinely dislike.

About 120 fishing quests done, I got six weather radios, but he never gave me the fisherman's pocket guide nor the sextant. Stupid brat. Fortunately, those items are craftable with my mod list. Also I'm not sure which of the mods do that, but he doesn't do the "one quest per day" thing anymore, as soon as you turn a fish you can get a new quest, which made the grind less tedious.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Calamity actually fixes the "fish, loser" problem by making all the fishing items drops from the very fist boss it adds.

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

Did you get Terraria on Steam? You can right click on the game, go to "properties" then "local files", and click "verify integrity of game files..." and it will get the 32 bit Terraria back.

Already tried that, reinstalling it and reinstalling the entirety of steam, the 64 bit loader somehow hosed up terraria on a fundamental level or something. I get this error, if any of you can parse it.

https://imgur.com/D8WB5Zc

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zoig posted:

Calamity actually fixes the "fish, loser" problem by making all the fishing items drops from the very fist boss it adds.
... Eh? I think that's new. Last time I played Calamity they certainly weren't in.

EDIT: I am seeing a bunch of stuff I don't remember on the calamity wiki, but I'm not seeing anything about dropping fishing stuff from an early boss/miniboss?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 24, 2019

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Fishing isn't even that bad in Terraria. Honestly, I kind of enjoy it. The real problems arethe random quest results, the fact that none of the guaranteed rewards are the items you need for the cell phone, and most importantly, that you can only do them once per day and have to check back home every time.
It's not so much the fishing that bugs me as it is the moving around, waiting till the next day, and shuffling around to any number of fishing holes I've had to build only to get a single shot at an unlikely random result.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The angler things can drop from the Desert Scourge, but they're not a 100% drop.

For your TML64 uninstalling issue, make sure to delete any DLL in Terraria's program folder. In fact you can probably just delete the entire folder (your worlds, characters, mods, etc. are in My Documents/My Games/Terraria, not in the game's own folder). Then verify integrity.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Zereth posted:

... Eh? I think that's new. Last time I played Calamity they certainly weren't in.

Can't be too new as I remember getting them all last year from the boss.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I’ve never cheated in a cellphone, I don’t mean that in a “i do everything legit” purist way, it just isn’t an item that’s worth cheating in. I can’t imagine playing without the ankh shield but the cellphone is extremely whatever

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

For your TML64 uninstalling issue, make sure to delete any DLL in Terraria's program folder. In fact you can probably just delete the entire folder (your worlds, characters, mods, etc. are in My Documents/My Games/Terraria, not in the game's own folder). Then verify integrity.

That did it, thanks! Forgot the old "make sure to delete everything, not just uninstall". Also I will say that while I like calamity in most aspects, I'm not as much of a fan of the fact that so many post moonlord items are made with somewhere between 5 to 10 items, and several of those may also be conglomerate items. Especially considering how many of those are accessories that you need to really fight the later bosses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

I’ve never cheated in a cellphone, I don’t mean that in a “i do everything legit” purist way, it just isn’t an item that’s worth cheating in. I can’t imagine playing without the ankh shield but the cellphone is extremely whatever

It's convenient for runs where I'm not using permanent spelunker, dangersense, etc potions.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Zoig posted:

Already tried that, reinstalling it and reinstalling the entirety of steam, the 64 bit loader somehow hosed up terraria on a fundamental level or something. I get this error, if any of you can parse it.

https://imgur.com/D8WB5Zc

I got that same error, and when I got it working after uninstalling, moving, and reinstalling I found if ran at 60-80% FPS unless I downgraded the lighting. Moving to the 32-bit loader worked fine the first time and didn't give any performance issues.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Another Fun™ thing about playing with quite a few mods: there are way too many loving town npcs. I like to build elaborate and themed houses and rooms but it gets exhausting after a while

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I struggle with the ugly years-long compulsion to give every NPC a themed room or entire dwelling in a town, there are entirely too many NPCs as it is for me to use any mods that add even MORE

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Black August posted:

I struggle with the ugly years-long compulsion to give every NPC a themed room or entire dwelling in a town, there are entirely too many NPCs as it is for me to use any mods that add even MORE

But the cobbler sells shoes, i am wearing 3 pairs of shoes.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Not only that, he shines them as well! 3 shiny pairs of shoes!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

watho posted:

Another Fun™ thing about playing with quite a few mods: there are way too many loving town npcs. I like to build elaborate and themed houses and rooms but it gets exhausting after a while

(From Census thread on Terraria forums)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

(From Census thread on Terraria forums)

Is there a list of who all of them are and their purpose?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Is there a list of who all of them are and their purpose?

I'd wager that at least a quarter of them sell potions or boss summoning items.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I dig that a couple of them are just unspeakable horrors.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

I'd wager that at least a quarter of them sell potions or boss summoning items.

definitely probably that, at least half of that quarter probably entirely overlap while the rest sell mod-exclusive stuff

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I dig that a couple of them are just unspeakable horrors.

Those are from Fargo's Mutant Mod. They sell potions and boss summoning items.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Decided to try out the Skyblock mod+map. Is this still the best way to duplicate lava? It's really slow, even with the 3 devices, and they occasionally don't get enough spill for a bucket, hence the left side for easy access for refills.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Split duplication is still the only way to dupe liquids afaik. You can have a single source hit a block, split, then both of those new flows to split and repeat until bored to speed it up though.

Haven't played that pack so no idea if you have the ability to terraform yet and create a multi-tiered dupe tank which would be the first place I'd start.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 26, 2019

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Pumps will duplicate liquids, you don't need to bother doing that other nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dootman posted:

Pumps will duplicate liquids, you don't need to bother doing that other nonsense.

Still need to grind materials to get to pumps and whatnot. Still not sure how to get cobwebs even. (for a yoyo, for copper wire).