Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rt4 posted:

Why do I even know who that blowhard is? I'm under the impression he wrote some useful piece of software 30 years ago or something?

Close. He hung out with people that wrote useful software 30 years ago.

He’s most well known for having opinions on software and the game rogue. Not for functional contributions of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

shrike82 posted:

The grossest hygiene thing I've seen with a colleague is a person who, I'm not sure how better to describe this, would sometimes have a coating of white, dried spit around their mouth.

Seemed to happen when the person was stressed out so I felt bad about it.

Unfortunately, their manager and HR can't do much about that since rabies is a health condition.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

leper khan posted:

He’s most well known for having opinions on software and the game rogue. Not for functional contributions of work.

Fetchmail and the Jargon file as well.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ulmont posted:

In the movie Revolution OS he even joked about fetchmail how it was written by such a young and inexperienced programmer and he had to come and rescue it. One of the many cringey moments of that "movie".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

esr is a genuinely foul human being on several axes. not having to deal with him any more was a highlight of leaving a previous job. I get angry just thinking about him

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

Subjunctive posted:

not having to deal with him any more was a highlight of leaving a previous job.

I am very curious about real-life esr interactions, if you are up for sharing any stories.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ulmont posted:

not really, he took over and made them worse.

this is spot on

leper khan posted:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

esr is a genuinely foul human being on several axes. not having to deal with him any more was a highlight of leaving a previous job. I get angry just thinking about him

:munch:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Just looking at his Wikipedia page and :yikes:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
But that's not enough. We need a Linus versus esr page. Namely, "Is Mrs/Mr Doe Agile, agile, or not?"

... versus Stallman versus Royce versus de Raadt vs Gates...

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
And the other problem with agile methodologies rears its ugly head: We shall assume that tasks are performed by interchangeable clods with equivalent institutional knowledge. Too bad that risk planning is "planning" and that's not agile.

Really looking forward to the review of this project after it completes. I really hope they're willing to look at how things were ultimately delivered.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Wait, are they transfering pointed tasks between teams?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

And the other problem with agile methodologies rears its ugly head: We shall assume that tasks are performed by interchangeable clods with equivalent institutional knowledge.

But working around the fact that you can't plan who is going to work on a given user story is the entire point of not providing specific hour estimates and instead going off of points, with higher pointed items being of higher uncertainty? And it's not on a person by person basis, but the team, so it doesn't matter if Joe works faster than Jane.

Agile actually can work, but just like anything else, it depends on people understanding why they're following a certain process and doing things the way they're doing them, instead of just cargo culting.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 24, 2019

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

And the other problem with agile methodologies rears its ugly head: We shall assume that tasks are performed by interchangeable clods with equivalent institutional knowledge. Too bad that risk planning is "planning" and that's not agile.

Really looking forward to the review of this project after it completes. I really hope they're willing to look at how things were ultimately delivered.

When we estimate our stories and there is disagreement about how much it should take we always as a team decide on the larger number to allow for less experienced people being the ones to work on it.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
But then every story becomes at least a "Large", though?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BusError posted:

I am very curious about real-life esr interactions, if you are up for sharing any stories.

I met him at a convention once and he tried to convince me that the United States invented the chili pepper.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I really hope they're willing to look at how things were ultimately delivered.

You've been in this industry how long now?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Janitor Prime posted:

When we estimate our stories and there is disagreement about how much it should take we always as a team decide on the larger number to allow for less experienced people being the ones to work on it.
Congratulations on estimating stories in hours

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Story points and velocity are dumb as gently caress.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Rubellavator posted:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sagacity posted:

But then every story becomes at least a "Large", though?

That's how it worked at my old job. Well, we did Fibonacci numbers, not sizes. But still.

"Here's a project in some code you're not familiar with. Story point it, please."

"Uhh, well, nobody here knows that feature or codebase. 13."

Next story.

"Nobody knows that feature or codebase... 13."

At the end, every story was a 13, with a team agreement to re-point in the middle of the project.

All because we had to story point everything NOW even if our estimates were completely off base.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Isn't it great how every Scrum company just keeps pressing forward like that, instead of going, "Wait, this isn't working. Let's examine why this isn't working and fix it."

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CPColin posted:

Isn't it great how every Scrum company just keeps pressing forward like that, instead of going, "Wait, this isn't working. Let's examine why this isn't working and fix it."

No kidding. If only one of the tenets of agile development was to reflect on the process at regular intervals and implement constant revision where necessary...

Of course, at many companies, if you point anything like that out, you're not rewarded for and often discouraged from rocking the boat.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

Story points and velocity are actually great as starting points for a conversation and as opportunities to learn about why expectations don't line up with reality (but companies shouldn't use them to set targets and extremely shouldn't use those targets to push people harder or set quantitative roadmaps)

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

Congratulations on estimating stories in hours

In practice they are more like dev days, which gives enough wiggle room to plan for capacity accordingly.

Protocol7 posted:

That's how it worked at my old job. Well, we did Fibonacci numbers, not sizes. But still.

"Here's a project in some code you're not familiar with. Story point it, please."

Next story.

At the end, every story was a 13, with a team agreement to re-point in the middle of the project.

All because we had to story point everything NOW even if our estimates were completely off base.
Our tech leads and BA's groom all the stories before estimation with as much background and technical details as possible to be able to estimate things better, and we don't work on code bases that aren't part of our project which helps.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
So, wait, you're all saying that cargo culting into a process or technology doesn't work? :monocle:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Janitor Prime posted:

Our tech leads and BA's groom all the stories before estimation with as much background and technical details as possible to be able to estimate things better, and we don't work on code bases that aren't part of our project which helps.

I wish. That old job was a hellhole of hamfisted process (SAFe being chief among them and a gigantic waste of agilefall time) and tossing things over the walls back and forth between dev and QA (i.e., not just working together to solve problems.)

The only reason I stayed is because for the last 6 months I could work from home 24/7 and do nothing but play video games, but even that wears its welcome out after some time.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Protocol7 posted:

No kidding. If only one of the tenets of agile development was to reflect on the process at regular intervals and implement constant revision where necessary...

Of course, at many companies, if you point anything like that out, you're not rewarded for and often discouraged from rocking the boat.

Uhh I don't see anything about constant revision in the enterprise agile manifesto

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

sunaurus posted:

Uhh I don't see anything about constant revision in the enterprise agile manifesto

Ugh, don't remind me about that. The part that says "we have mandatory processes and tools to control how those individuals (we prefer the term ‘resources’) interact" hits too close to home on my old job. Especially the part where our management referred to devs as resources.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Protocol7 posted:

Ugh, don't remind me about that. The part that says "we have mandatory processes and tools to control how those individuals (we prefer the term ‘resources’) interact" hits too close to home on my old job. Especially the part where our management referred to devs as resources.

That term is one of my biggest buttons I swear to christ.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We had "People, not Resources" hammered into us at the last Scrum training I had the pleasure of attending and none of the managers caught on.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
resources is a fine word, dehumanize yourself and face to corporate

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Unfortunately, I'm afraid you all missed it. Points or hours are irrelevant. The false assumption is that engineers are interchangeable during the task, and since there's no plan and no risk plan, things fall apart as a result of the exchange.

A 5pt task that has undergone "1pt of work" returns to a 5pt task when the engineer is flopped out for a "higher priority". A 5hr task likewise. By rapidly exchanging people you could probably arrive at Zeno's Paradox of Productivity, that "Assigning everyone to everything yields zero velocity".

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The finance industry calls this department "human capital" and I'm not sure if it's better or worse

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you all missed it. Points or hours are irrelevant. The false assumption is that engineers are interchangeable during the task, and since there's no plan and no risk plan, things fall apart as a result of the exchange.

A 5pt task that has undergone "1pt of work" returns to a 5pt task when the engineer is flopped out for a "higher priority". A 5hr task likewise. By rapidly exchanging people you could probably arrive at Zeno's Paradox of Productivity, that "Assigning everyone to everything yields zero velocity".

This is a people problem. Once work begins on a sprint, the sprint should be considered "locked" -- no new work comes in, critical "everything is on fire" issues notwithstanding.

If you're working in small enough sprints, that shouldn't be a problem, because the team's priorities can shift every week or two depending on the product owner's whims. If someone is coming in and trying to change sprint priorities around after work starts, there should be someone putting their foot down and saying "no".

You're still blaming the process for problems caused by people trying to circumvent the process because they don't understand it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

This is just a symptom of bad management.

The only changes to a team or a developer's workload should happen in sprint planning, and nowhere in between. And even then, if anything changes in planning, like a developer switches teams or the tasks assigned to the team change at all, the existing numbers from pointing or estimations are basically meaningless anyway.

The problem is made worse by bullshit estimation numbers being used as some measure of developer or team productivity, and if anything changes during the sprint, or even during sprint planning, the volatility of that magic productivity number means it's also meaningless, which means your process is mangled.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 25, 2019

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Process doesn't exist without people, and process induces certain behavioral patterns that create these issues. I'm blaming the process, not necessarily for the initial issues created by the people, but for it having a general approach that also ignores "safety mechanisms" that prevent those issues from snowballing into catastrophies.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Process doesn't exist without people, and process induces certain behavioral patterns that create these issues. I'm blaming the process, not necessarily for the initial issues created by the people, but for it having a general approach that also ignores "safety mechanisms" that prevent those issues from snowballing into catastrophies.

I think it would work if a company truly adheres to an agile process. See that DoD "Detecting Agile BS" document. Chances are your company calls themselves agile but also hit many of the checkmarks of that document.

I have a feeling the problem is a lot of management wanting the niceties of agile, but not being able to give up the rigidity and perceived stability of a waterfall process. And also not having any fundamental understanding of what makes a development team successful, let alone what makes an individual on that team succeed in their role. The dehumanizing aspect of calling developers "resources" and assuming that resources are interchangeable certainly applies here.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Vulture Culture posted:

The finance industry calls this department "human capital" and I'm not sure if it's better or worse

Considering that basically means "non-consumable property", it's... mixed, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Protocol7 posted:

Next story.

We do the opposite.

Don't know that feature it code base? 2 points