Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

World War Mammories posted:

redeads hump you to death. pretty sure this is canon.

count me in as someone scared as poo poo of redeads when I was a kid. that one loving redead whose gaze you can't avoid during the castle escape.... bluh.

The weird thing is that's actually the best explanation for the 64 ReDeads. Wind Waker showed them getting on you and biting your head, which would make sense... except that the 64 ReDead faces are those motionless stone masks. They can't be biting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The weird thing is that's actually the best explanation for the 64 ReDeads. Wind Waker showed them getting on you and biting your head, which would make sense... except that the 64 ReDead faces are those motionless stone masks. They can't be biting.

The artwork for OOT shows them with teeth showing through the mask, so they could probably bite you.

As a kid I always just figured they were literally squeezing the life out of you, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An idle thought about God of War - it would be cool if in the sequel, Atreus had to hide something and so had Kratos help him build his own sand-bowl riddle.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like how in Spider-Man the masks with cloth faces move when he speaks, whereas the metal ones stay still.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
On the HL2 chat, the poison headcrabs are so well designed. That horrible screech and the fact they (almost) kill you immediately fills me with this immediate, intense panic. Valve said somewhere (possibly on the commentary) they found most players would hear their chittering and immediately find and murder them with extreme prejudice.

I'll happily waste an impact grenade or rocket on murdering those little bastards.

That we'll probably never get the story finished makes me sad. Those games were pretty cool.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spalec posted:

On the HL2 chat, the poison headcrabs are so well designed. That horrible screech and the fact they (almost) kill you immediately fills me with this immediate, intense panic. Valve said somewhere (possibly on the commentary) they found most players would hear their chittering and immediately find and murder them with extreme prejudice.

I'll happily waste an impact grenade or rocket on murdering those little bastards.

That we'll probably never get the story finished makes me sad. Those games were pretty cool.

Yeah, in the Episode 1 commentary they mention that they liked using poison headcrabs as ambush enemies because while players react strongly to them, they're never quite as dangerous as people think they are. There's also a bit where Alyx yells "I hate these things!" Clearly acting as the voice of the player in that situation. :v:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Spalec posted:

If I see those fuckers I'm using my rocket launcher, grenades, fuel barrels. They will feel the heat of my hatred.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a place in HL2 where there's this little alleyway that has like half a dozen black headcrabs in it. It's just about the most satisfying grenade you can throw.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Necrothatcher posted:

I like how in Spider-Man the masks with cloth faces move when he speaks, whereas the metal ones stay still.

Also I like that you can see the mask is not seamless with the neck. Even the movies don't do that and in a videogame they could obviously have cheated if they wanted to since none of it's real.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Bloodstained: RotN is becoming my game of the year.

One of the familiars you can get is a pixie called Caboose or something similar. Just after coming across those for the first time, Miriam comes across a piano. If you sit at the piano with the Caboose equipped, Miriam will start playing and the familiar will sing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

OutOfPrint posted:

Bloodstained: RotN is becoming my game of the year.

One of the familiars you can get is a pixie called Caboose or something similar. Just after coming across those for the first time, Miriam comes across a piano. If you sit at the piano with the Caboose equipped, Miriam will start playing and the familiar will sing.

That’s awesome, and also a callout to the Japanese version of SOTN that had a secondary pixie that would do the same thing more or less. :allears:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Things I didn't expect going into Bloodstained: Chairs, chair summoning, chair mimics, chair physics

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

That’s awesome, and also a callout to the Japanese version of SOTN that had a secondary pixie that would do the same thing more or less. :allears:

Probably less of a callout and more Iga thinking "i made the fairy sing in SOTN as a fun gimmick, i should do it again with this fairy while i wait for the art team to completely overhaul all assets"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Qwertycoatl posted:

Things I didn't expect going into Bloodstained: Chairs, chair summoning, chair mimics, chair physics

Yeah there are so many places to have a sit and just...sit. Take a breather. Nothing more to it.

And then a lance knight pokes you in the seat.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dewgy posted:

PSP European version too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The caravan in the banner saga looks like it's just repeating figures but if you look close at the front the leaders are actually accurate version of the player characters.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In survival game The Long Dark basements are noticeably colder than the upper floors of a building. Not that big of a deal when you've got a full set of winter clothing on but when you start a new game on hard mode you start off with like a light sweater and jeans if you're lucky, so every bit of temperature difference counts.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Away all Goats posted:

In survival game The Long Dark basements are noticeably colder than the upper floors of a building. Not that big of a deal when you've got a full set of winter clothing on but when you start a new game on hard mode you start off with like a light sweater and jeans if you're lucky, so every bit of temperature difference counts.

There are buildings? I've never made it past the airplane crash lol

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sid Vicious posted:

There are buildings? I've never made it past the airplane crash lol

Yeah there are even small towns, farms and bigger structures like a hydroelectric dam. The developers did a pretty good job of designing a place that actually felt like it could have been a real place where people lived. When I first played in Early Access I think there were only like 3 'regions' and apparently now there's like 9.

Other cool stuff they added since I last played:
-You can pick up charcoal from your fires to draw a map of your surroundings. Clear weather required of course
-Cooking can now be done 'hands free' and you can have something cooking on the fire while you sew up holes in your clothes, or maybe go pick up some more wood for firewood.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Jun 25, 2019

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Isn't that backwards? Temperature is much more stable underground and even if you're talking about a basement dug into the permafrost it'd still be warmer than the upper floors of an unheated building in like -20c or worse weather. If your basement goes down one more level, like I believe some of them do, it'd actually be quite comfortable, comparatively.

I haven't actually played long dark, just seen some streams. Looks good tho

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Necrothatcher posted:

And the inverse I like how the metal ones have eyes that emote while the cloth ones don't. They put an absurd amount of love into those costumes and it felt like a throwback to when games included them and didn't sell them for 2.99 a piece :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

RagnarokAngel posted:

And the inverse I like how the metal ones have eyes that emote while the cloth ones don't. They put an absurd amount of love into those costumes and it felt like a throwback to when games included them and didn't sell them for 2.99 a piece :(
The alternate costumes in the game and all of the detail put into them also did a pretty good job shutting up those idiots who were whining about visual downgrades leading up to the game's launch. ":byodood: The suit isn't as shiny as in the trailer because the PS4 couldn't handle it!!1"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Spalec posted:

I must be the only person in the world who thought they sounded goofily cute.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah there are even small towns, farms and bigger structures like a hydroelectric dam. The developers did a pretty good job of designing a place that actually felt like it could have been a real place where people lived. When I first played in Early Access I think there were only like 3 'regions' and apparently now there's like 9.

Other cool stuff they added since I last played:
-You can pick up charcoal from your fires to draw a map of your surroundings. Clear weather required of course
-Cooking can now be done 'hands free' and you can have something cooking on the fire while you sew up holes in your clothes, or maybe go pick up some more wood for firewood.

There's heaps of little things in that game. It's faster and less calorie intensive to use your knife to butcher game unless the game is frozen, in which case it is faster to use your axe.

Torches are more fuel efficient than lanterns but blow out in the wind.

It's a really good game I reckon. All the systems interlock in a very satisfying way.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Samovar posted:

I must be the only person in the world who thought they sounded goofily cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaS2bf5w6E

:3:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I really love that Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition doesn't just give you all the DLC characters, but instead integrates them as unlockable characters throughout the game's adventure mode. It lets them feel a lot more like they're part of the game, especially given the fact they also have heart containers and weapon unlocks put into the adventure mode too, like the non-DLC characters did.

It also makes me feel better about using them! I've had so many bad experiences with lazy DLCs giving you overpowered weapons right out the gate that when I was playing the Wii U version I was actually pretty hesitant to use the DLC characters, because I had no idea what they were balanced for, what if I blow up the game's already tenuous difficulty curve because this character's meant to be used far later in the game*? Now they've actually put them in places in the game, I can trust that I'm supposed to be using them after I get them.

*In Hyrule Warriors' case that actually was a fair concern, some of the later DLC characters like Medli and Marin were just insane for some reason.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Jun 25, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
We were talking about Black & White (and its sequel) in the dragging down thread, and while I totally understand why they aren't for everyone, I did enjoy this possibly-accidental confluence of mechanics in the sequel:

If you're playing a Good God, you want to make your towns as attractive to other cities, so that villagers from there will migrate to yours. A big chunk of this attractiveness comes from your villager's happiness. It's increased by putting +happiness buildings near those houses.

One of the types of houses you can build are Skycrapers. Like most things in video games, it has a lot of positives with a rather serious drawback, by being attractive (you know, by being skyscrapers in what is generally a fantasy game) and has a low land footprint (you just build more levels onto the existing building to grow it upwards). Its downside is that once a Skyscraper gets to a certain height, the innate happiness of the building goes steadily town. A little-thing-within-a-little-thing, as an aside: the developers handwave this decreasing happiness as "well, your people haven't really developed elevators, so you imagine how happy people are if they have to walk up 60 flights of stairs to go home every day.")

So basically, you've got a highly-attractive building whose attractiveness is negated by increased height, so what do you do? You build those happiness-generating buildings smack-dab between Skyscrapers. Sure, the ambient happiness might take a hit from being really tall, but it is negated-or-obviated by being near a local theater. It also encourages you to build impossibly huge skycrapers, which is just plain hilarious.

tldr: a building generally designed around packing your villagers in unhappy stacks can become impossibly huge, happy houses.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 has even more crazy boss fights.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I love that Fortuna in Warframe is just a cheesy, dark, hilarious, horrifying 80's cyberpunk vaporwave Charles Dickens novel that has hoverboarding and robofishing in between body horror and scathing critiques of capitalism.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Octopath Traveler does a neat thing over its credits. It's not a story thing I'm spoiling, but it's the credits, so still spoiler-tagging it.

Octopath does the typical thing of showing you scenes from the game behind the credits. But it's actually been secretly recording your gameplay; rather than pre-set cutscenes and the like, it shows you scenes from the game in the order you did them, and the final blows of every single boss fight you've fought, with the accurate party setups and statuses at the time.

I learned that, apparently, I killed like half the game's bosses with the same spell.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something clever in God of War that I missed initially - in Alfheim, When you go into the light it actually foreshadows your entire journey, from showing Thor's statue completely exposed, to the boat in Helheim, to the mountain in Jotunheim. I thought that was pretty clever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

God of War has many little neat moments of dramatic irony. When Kratos first meets the Stranger you assume it's because he's been hunting him down for years, but it turns out that Baldur was actually looking for Faye and doesn't even know who Kratos is. His dialogue is vague enough that it could suit either character.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That first boss fight is so good. I love when you get the prompt for Spartan Rage.

e: for another bit of good foreshadowing Freya destroying the mistletoe arrows Sindri gives you. It happens well before you discover she's Baldur's mother so I had totally forgotten about them until Baldur's weakness is shown when he tries to bung Atreyus and cuts his hand on the arrow used to repair his sash

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Mondian posted:

Isn't that backwards? Temperature is much more stable underground and even if you're talking about a basement dug into the permafrost it'd still be warmer than the upper floors of an unheated building in like -20c or worse weather. If your basement goes down one more level, like I believe some of them do, it'd actually be quite comfortable, comparatively.

I haven't actually played long dark, just seen some streams. Looks good tho

I live in Alberta in a two story house (main floor/basement). I can assure you that my basement is the place to be during the summer and colder than upstairs in the winter. Now my basement could probably use an upgrade in insulation but it might be as simple as we use forced air heating and hot air rises. Perhaps, depending on the area, there is depth you need to have your basement at to get the benefits of geothermal energy.

HAmbONE has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Jun 27, 2019

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

HAmbONE posted:

I live in Alberta in a two story house (main floor/basement). I can assure you that my basement is the place to be during the summer and colder than upstairs in the winter. Now my basement could probably use an upgrade in insulation but it might be as simple as we use forced air heating and hot air rises. Perhaps, depending on the area, there is depth you need to have your basement at to get the benefits of geothermal energy.

I think it's more that the Earth provides insulation of a sort so whatever temperature it is, it tends to stay that temperature. The weather outside has less impact. If you get a foot of snow, the basement will take much longer to cool off than your attic. If it's 120 F outside, your basement will still be relatively cool because the heat can't penetrate.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pokemon Let's Go is a very cute game and I really like that it lets one of your Pokemon run behind you free of its ball in addition to Eevee/Pikachu riding on your head. Not only is it just fun to see but you can check on them and get little messages about how they're feeling about their surroundings, like if they're interested in another Pokemon nearby or if they're enjoying walking on the paved stone in cities or whatever.

One thing that pleasantly surprised me is that at least some of these messages are personalized for different Pokemon, and not just the obvious mascot Pokemon. I have a Nidoran♂ following behind me now since he was one of my favorites as a kid and I took him into the museum in Pewter City. After walking a bit he suddenly has a ! pop up over his head and he rushes over to one of the exhibits. When I catch up with him and check him, I'm told that he's staring intently at the Moon Stone exhibit--it doesn't spell it out but the Nidoran♂ evolution line changes into its final form when exposed to a Moon Stone.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

I think it's more that the Earth provides insulation of a sort so whatever temperature it is, it tends to stay that temperature. The weather outside has less impact. If you get a foot of snow, the basement will take much longer to cool off than your attic. If it's 120 F outside, your basement will still be relatively cool because the heat can't penetrate.

Wet snow is also ridiculously good thermal insulator and ground itself is quite effective heat storage (outside living in permafrost region).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Pokemon Let's Go is a very cute game and I really like that it lets one of your Pokemon run behind you free of its ball in addition to Eevee/Pikachu riding on your head. Not only is it just fun to see but you can check on them and get little messages about how they're feeling about their surroundings, like if they're interested in another Pokemon nearby or if they're enjoying walking on the paved stone in cities or whatever.

One thing that pleasantly surprised me is that at least some of these messages are personalized for different Pokemon, and not just the obvious mascot Pokemon. I have a Nidoran♂ following behind me now since he was one of my favorites as a kid and I took him into the museum in Pewter City. After walking a bit he suddenly has a ! pop up over his head and he rushes over to one of the exhibits. When I catch up with him and check him, I'm told that he's staring intently at the Moon Stone exhibit--it doesn't spell it out but the Nidoran♂ evolution line changes into its final form when exposed to a Moon Stone.

That owns

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In FF14 there is a character who is the one behind the games more egregious grinds (end game equipment, weapon relic, gathering and crafting). She has tricked people into indentured servitude and if you're a crafter/gatherer, she pays you out in fake currency that can only be turned in to merchants she owns. She also has a fascination with tomes that you earn doing end game stuff which are basically USBs with data or something that pays for her operation.

Well in Shadowbringers when you arrive to the first city you're given a tour around and spot a merchant with those tomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be getting from those screenshots. Except: holy drat that dude has a tony head.