Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blaziken386 posted:

I'll keep that in mind, if only to complete the trio of gainax mecha shows.

Also if you watch gunbuster and enjoy it, I'd definitely recommend checking out Diebuster afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

rest his guts posted:

Really liked Texhnolyze; couldn't stand the cat ears or the awkward references to literature in Ergo Proxy. What should I watch? Doesn't necessarily need to be about the end of the world.

Other shows I've really liked recently: Baki, Gurren Laggan, Samurai Champloo is my favorite of all time. Also read Shigrui recently and really like it except for well a lot of things. But overall it was cool!

If you're okay with reading recommendations, Kengan Ashura is very much Baki-inspired and quite good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Rahxephon is pretty good too. People compare it to eva a lot, and it certainly has similarities, but you could say it's its own...beast

Compare, nothing. It pretty loving blatantly rips off Eva wholesale in a lot of places. I'm watching it right now and it's a legitimately good show in its own right, but hoo-boy is it not subtle about stealing from Evangelion.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

inspired by NGE becoming popular again, I sat down and watched it, it was fun, but now I'm out and need a new fix.
Looking for something like FMA/Mob Psycho/Madoka/NGE/TTGL, ie: heavy on the overarching themes/symbolism, isn't afraid to beat you over the head with them, and is/was popular for good reason.

sidenote: the adtr wiki linked in the OP is, uh, up for sale

Not super popular but From the New World is full of themes and symbolism and I'm probably going to rewatch it soon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Compare, nothing. It pretty loving blatantly rips off Eva wholesale in a lot of places. I'm watching it right now and it's a legitimately good show in its own right, but hoo-boy is it not subtle about stealing from Evangelion.
Apparently it's a lot more like some older show from the 70s or 80s...Brave Raideen I think it was? I remember bringing up the similarities on SA years back and having that pointed out to me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blaziken386 posted:

And what a steal!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not super popular but From the New World is full of themes and symbolism and I'm probably going to rewatch it soon

It's so good. Another recommendation for this.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

inspired by NGE becoming popular again, I sat down and watched it, it was fun, but now I'm out and need a new fix.
Looking for something like FMA/Mob Psycho/Madoka/NGE/TTGL, ie: heavy on the overarching themes/symbolism, isn't afraid to beat you over the head with them, and is/was popular for good reason.

Revolutionary Girl Utena and/or Mawaru Penguindrum

beating people over the head with themes/symbolism is kind of Ikuhara's main gimmick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

Hunter x Hunter, if you're okay with something that goes 150 episodes

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Endorph posted:

Hunter x Hunter, if you're okay with something that goes 150 episodes
ahahahahaha no
Something like 60 episodes is my upper limit, quite frankly.

AnoHito posted:

beating people over the head with themes/symbolism is kind of Ikuhara's main gimmick
Utena's already been recommended, but I'll add Penguindrum to the list as well. Thanks!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaziken386 posted:

ahahahahaha no
Something like 60 episodes is my upper limit, quite frankly.

Utena's already been recommended, but I'll add Penguindrum to the list as well. Thanks!

Monster. It's a classic, though it pushes a little over your episode limit: 74.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

Minor addendum; It's a legit 74-episode run to cover the entire manga series. It's not just stalling for time with side
arcs.

MMania
May 7, 2008

AnoHito posted:

I finally got around to watching Revue Starlight and it steals a lot of ideas wholesale from Utena, but with a cool new coat of paint. Also, no pesky male characters to get in the way of all the yuri! YMMV if you've never been in any sort of performance/show.

Was there any discussion about the show last year or did HIDIVE picking it up push it off everyone's radar?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MMania posted:

I finally got around to watching Revue Starlight and it steals a lot of ideas wholesale from Utena, but with a cool new coat of paint. Also, no pesky male characters to get in the way of all the yuri! YMMV if you've never been in any sort of performance/show.

Was there any discussion about the show last year or did HIDIVE picking it up push it off everyone's radar?

I remember there being a bunch of discussion about it. I watched the first episode, and have still been meaning to watch the rest, but it gave me the initial impression that it was kind of ripping off Utena a bit too much.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can't believe the show worked on by a person who worked with ikuhara in the past was influenced by a popular ikuhara show

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

There's a sort of scale between "has influences from this show" and "completely steals its central premise and half of its themes" though.

Of course, once again, only saw the first ep so far and may very well be talking completely out of my own rear end with where the rest of the series goes :v:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MMania posted:

Also, no pesky male characters to get in the way of all the yuri!

I don't think the male characters in Utena where getting in the way of the yuri as much as just the show never gave as much content as one would like on that front.

AnoHito posted:

There's a sort of scale between "has influences from this show" and "completely steals its central premise and half of its themes" though.

I don't think the show is the later but even if it was there isn't really a problem with that if its trying to do its own thing.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

You can't talk about the similarities between Revue Starlight and Utina and not talk about Takarazuka Revue, which is a huge influence on Utina and Revue Starlight is straight up based on a stage musical by former Takarazuka Revue members. Theft is the wrong word here lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

an actual dog posted:

You can't talk about the similarities between Revue Starlight and Utina and not talk about Takarazuka Revue, which is a huge influence on Utina and Revue Starlight is straight up based on a stage musical by former Takarazuka Revue members. Theft is the wrong word here lol

but i have only seen one episode so i think i am an expert

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Utena did not invent most of the aesthetics it has in common with Revue, and Revue is way more directly about one of its main influences (Takarezuka) than Utena is.

It's also does put much more focus on lesbian relationships than Utena though I wasn't as into most of them outside of the Mahiru accepting her gf has a gf and she'll be both their moms episode. I think I dropped it right before the conclusion of the one arc all my friends really like about it so I might be missing out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The director of Revue is an acquaintance of Ikuhara's and has worked with him before so I doubt he was unaware of the similarities, but also they were working from the same inspiration and go in very different directions with it. Revue is directly tied to stage performances, storytelling, and acting, and is concerned primarily with those things. Utena is using the Takarazuka aesthetic as a visual thing to tell a story about masculinity/femininity and only really uses the 'acting' thing as shorthand for 'performing' one's gender and sexual orientation, rather than actually being concerned with the real world job of actor/actress.

Like, there's similarities, sure, but they aren't the same show or anything so I really don't know how you'd arrive at 'theft' unless you think the Takarazuka Revue is something Ikuhara made up himself. Something like Star Driver is honestly way closer to Utena to the point of even borrowing some plot beats, but nobody ever called that a theft.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

so I really don't know how you'd arrive at 'theft' unless you think the Takarazuka Revue is something Ikuhara made up himself.

well..............,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If anything considering Revue is a multimedia project it was probably more a case of them approaching Ikuhara with the concept, since he did make the most famous Takrazuka-inspired anime, and him turning them down but then pointing him to a friend of his. That's total speculation but it'd make sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

well..............,
cant believe ikuhara invented homosexuality, the takarazuka revue, penguins, bears, kappa, and the tokyo subway sarin attack

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

Utena did not invent most of the aesthetics it has in common with Revue, and Revue is way more directly about one of its main influences (Takarezuka) than Utena is.

It's also does put much more focus on lesbian relationships than Utena though I wasn't as into most of them outside of the Mahiru accepting her gf has a gf and she'll be both their moms episode. I think I dropped it right before the conclusion of the one arc all my friends really like about it so I might be missing out.

Yeah like I enjoy each of the characters as individuals but outside of Mahiru's stuff and the Motorcycle/rich girl couple the actual relationships just never really felt like they had much meat in disappointing ways.

e: tho like it still was one my favorites from last year don't get me wrong

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 25, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked the episode of karen/hikari talking on the phone a lot and then those two basically didnt say five words to each other until the finale

it just felt very constrained by the whole 'here's this pair, now here's this pair, now here's this pair' setup. i still like it a fair bit but yeah

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

cant believe ikuhara invented homosexuality, the takarazuka revue, penguins, bears, kappa, and the tokyo subway sarin attack

I never finished penguindrum how deep does it go into the attacks because having read up on the cult years later I have to solemnly give thanks to god that a smalltime bully that roped a lot of hopeless people into his bullshit failed to refine a dirty bomb, something they almost had access to.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

I never finished penguindrum how deep does it go into the attacks because having read up on the cult years later I have to solemnly give thanks to god that a smalltime bully that roped a lot of hopeless people into his bullshit failed to refine a dirty bomb, something they almost had access to.

Quite far, though Penguindrum's cult is...quite different from the real thing. I'm pretty sure the terrorist attacks were only really supposed to be inspired by the real life ones, and not literally be the same ones.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
In general Revue just seems like a constrained show, with like how it hints at its larger world with the stuff Hikari went through and how it handles Banana's resolution, but in those two cases I think it works way better.

I just wish there was a little bit more of like stuff we had with Maya and Futaba, and like Claudine and Kaoruko.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

MMania posted:

There was a thread and everything!

Also the official subs were garbage so there was some delay time as people waited for fansubs.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Endorph posted:

What a visionary

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah this show is really, really good.

Endorph posted:

Hajime no Ippo are my Baki recs

Settled on this and it owns. It's like a less self-aware Baki. Thanks!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what are some good anime movies that would appeal to someone looking for more movies like ghibli's stuff? your name is already a known movie

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ninjewtsu posted:

what are some good anime movies that would appeal to someone looking for more movies like ghibli's stuff? your name is already a known movie
Anything by Mamoru Hosoda from 2006 to now, starting with his The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. For a long time his works have felt more Ghibli-like to me than the actual studio during that span.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Anything by Mamoru Hosoda from 2006 to now, starting with his The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. For a long time his works have felt more Ghibli-like to me than the actual studio during that span.

The Boy and the Beast or Wolf Children are probably the most Ghibli-esque if you want somewhere to start, but his entire filmography is all well worth watching.

edit: Also watch the series Mushishi if you have not already.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 27, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Napping Princess is my fav.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

QuarkJets posted:

I finished the DB Super episodes up through the multiverse tournament arc, it was super duper and I heard that they continued the series after that (even though that arc was such a good stopping point)? Is that any good?

I am fully 100% unashamed to say that the final arc from Super, the Tournament of Power after the multiverse(I think you mean the universe 6 vs 7 one?) is very legitimately some of the most fun Dragon Ball that has been made in a long long time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

Giovanni's Island, Hotarubi no Mori e, Princess Arete, A Letter to Momo and Lu Over the Wall

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm really into stories where the protagonist(s) are not that good at what they do and screw up a lot, and have to learn from their mistakes to mature and figure out ways to outsmart their obstacles instead of getting a cheapo power up or whatever. Re:Zero season 1 was a perfect scratch for that itch really, but that whole genre seems to be just chock full of straight up power fantasies otherwise so I'm open for suggestions from any genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm really into stories where the protagonist(s) are not that good at what they do and screw up a lot, and have to learn from their mistakes to mature and figure out ways to outsmart their obstacles instead of getting a cheapo power up or whatever. Re:Zero season 1 was a perfect scratch for that itch really, but that whole genre seems to be just chock full of straight up power fantasies otherwise so I'm open for suggestions from any genre.
steins;gate maybe?