Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
1:100 is used for wargaming as the "15 mm scale". The figures are absolutely tiny though, I don't know how well they would work for anything that isn't wargaming where they're just a glorified token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

1:100 is also used in architectural maquettes. Preiser has a few sets that are quite inexpensive (if you get the unpainted ones).

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

Anybody know any good 1:100 figures? It seems to be a bit of an odd scale for scale modeling stuff.

Look for 15mm scale.

It's a popular wargaming scale

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Zodack posted:

I have a Badger 105 Patriot - is there anything wrong with the regulator being affixed to the head part of the airbrush? It's become tight and I can't remove it any longer. I can remove the head just fine, and the tip from there, but I can't remove the regulator from the head... even after running it through a sonic cleaner. I'll chalk it up to Future or something getting it stuck tight and it doesn't seem to affect performance... but replacement parts are cheap (ish) and I am still mostly a beginner.

To be honest I'm unsure why those two parts separate in the first place unless it's to do something with the tip and needle.

You could try soft touch pliers if you think it is just "sealed" on but that is also the kind of thing Badger will repair for you with little/no charge if it bothers you enough. I have heard nothing but excellent things about their warranty process.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

everythingWasBees posted:

Anybody know any good 1:100 figures? It seems to be a bit of an odd scale for scale modeling stuff.
What specifically are you looking for?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Do any of you have experience sculpting with greenstuff? I find it very difficult to work with compared to Milliput.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not a clue what milliput is like TBH, but I've worked with greenstuff for years. The trick is to keep it wet.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

With milliput its the same, but it slightly dissolves in water, which makes it easier to smoothen out. Also it's harder and easier to sand.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Greenstuff stays slightly more rubbery feeling than I'd like, but it is sandable. It says that it cures fully in 24 hours but TBH I'd give it a few days to be safe. It also depends on what your blue/yellow mix is like. I find more yellow makes it more pliable.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

The Airfix 1/72 Cromwell has great tracks. Literally genius design.

Huh, good to know. Is that new?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
New-ish. At least three or four years back now, but that's bleeding edge for their 1/72 range.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know if theres any 1/48 kits for a B-1B, Tu-95 or TU-22? Like, if a kit exists in that scale?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Phi230 posted:

Does anyone know if theres any 1/48 kits for a B-1B, Tu-95 or TU-22? Like, if a kit exists in that scale?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04963-rockwell-b-1b-lancer--1181823

Scalemates says no to the Soviet pair

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

What a shame, but thanks for the website. Does it do what I think it does and compile model kits for searching?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phi230 posted:

What a shame, but thanks for the website. Does it do what I think it does and compile model kits for searching?

Yes, and list when kits get reboxed, get new tooling, etc.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

A 1/48 Tu95 would be enormous. Good heavens.

Speaking of large models, my work on the Bluenose has been creeping forward. Major construction has finished now that all the spars are done and it is time to start the rigging. The next steps are going to be attaching scores of blocks to the spars and masts in preparation for the rigging process, and also completing an editing pass to ensure that all of the needed eyebolts and belaying pins are in place. I don't want to have to try and start drilling holes on the deck or railings with half of the rigging already installed.

I completed the machinery forward for the anchors and also for raising the jumbo jib. I was fortunate enough to be able to lift a bit of chain from my wife's jewelry making supplies.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Phi230 posted:

Tu-95/B-52 kits at 1/72 are about the size of the completed 1/48 B-1B so i don't think anyone is ever going to make those behemoths in 1/48. that said with enough patience and styrene anything is possible

i was furious because i bought the 2015 release about a month before the 2019 release was announced. thankfully its just some PE and a new casting for the engine nozzles

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihVak74ZiVo

lol Budzik just insulted britain's honour

Kinda weird to see a review out there that doesnt end with "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

This rules. I love when you ship folks post.

Symetrique posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihVak74ZiVo

lol Budzik just insulted britain's honour

Kinda weird to see a review out there that doesnt end with "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"

This also rules, but for entirely different reasons. Like, aren't Airfix kits known to be on the crappier side?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
If we had any honour to start with we wouldn't have released a shoddy kit like that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Airfix vary wildly and re-use moulds long after they should probably have scrapped them. The smaller scale stuff is worse, and the larger scale stuff much better.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Its a new tool. They really hosed up.

Someone on hyperscale posted this shot:

https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com...S72YROXJYGYDADA

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
1/48 spitfire: with realistic battle damage moments before in-air breakup

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's terrible. The kind of poo poo that happens to their old HO/OO Sherman mould now. Is that common?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

grassy gnoll posted:

This rules. I love when you ship folks post.

Thank you for the kind words. It's kind of surreal to see her progress to this point.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think this thread is probably the best place to ask - I saw a metal sheet that had scored designs like grids and lines designed to put masking tape over to cut out evenly - is anyone aware of where I can get that or what to search for?

e: As usual google waits for me to post the question before showing what I want. Voyager Model Masker Easycutting Jig seems about right!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 26, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

ijyt posted:

I think this thread is probably the best place to ask - I saw a metal sheet that had scored designs like grids and lines designed to put masking tape over to cut out evenly - is anyone aware of where I can get that or what to search for?

e: As usual google waits for me to post the question before showing what I want. Voyager Model Masker Easycutting Jig seems about right!

Infini also makes polycarbonate cutting mats like that:
http://infini-model.com/index.php/portfolio/it-3002v1/

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
First layer of rust is down!

The transparent oxides didn't have as good of an effect as they usually do, but I guess when the base layer is also rust, there won't be much contrast.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aww poo poo, it's my favorite tank.

Which kit is this, and how are you liking it so far?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
MB models #1010. It's awful, just buy the Tamiya instead.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

All decals applied. Used a light coat of Gaianotes satin to prep it for oils.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Base coat is on:

One side is reserved for fire damage, one side has a little bit of splash damage to excuse the fact that the gun mantlet is missing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Did you know there's a Sherman suspension assembly on the back of TIE Fighters?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One time I found a forum where people were hunting down where every part of every kit used to make the models in Star Wars came from and I really wish I hadn't lost it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

One time I found a forum where people were hunting down where every part of every kit used to make the models in Star Wars came from and I really wish I hadn't lost it.

I saw that too. The Millennium Falcon has panther bits, and star destroyers have crazy kitbashed naval gun turrets with the occasional konigstiger. :allears:

The Udvar Hazy air and space museum in northern Virginia has the model used on screen for the mother ship in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It's in the same wing as the space shuttle, straight back past the blackbird.

It's just covered in all kinds of stuff, from fire hydrants to traffic lights, a VW bug, and even R2D2. You could spend hours identifying all the greeble.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dncRHH9f6MI

This video is kinda related. Adam savage shows off a hasegawa kit that became popular for this.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

It's in the Replica Prop Forum. They have every piece of the Millennium Falcon identified to what kit it came from. Of course, now all those kits go for huge bucks because of the people wanting a prop sized replica.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The thread I found was actually for Y-Wings specifically (no idea how I got there...) but yeah, there's probably more than one and really... can you blame people for wanting that?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's just really satisfying to know that someone out there built an original screen model with kitbashed junk, and someone else had to replicate that part decades later just to get their own model into conformity.

I love reading about detailed bash jobs, put that right into my veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Heck, they even had to replicate the parts during filming. The original studio-scale models were kitbashed, but any other scale they needed during shooting would be someone recreating parts at whatever scale.

Imagine the guys building the full-size Falcon going ".... okay, we need wheel braces from a Tiger right here, and then.... fuel tank from a Lincoln continental over there."