Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Gee i wonder why Beckie wasn't capped by the Americans.....

Oh no, i certainly know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

tfw they say they're out of Tim Horton's doughnuts

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Ellis better come up with some new ideas v France

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Horan will play the full France match, Ellis didn't want to risk her picking up a second yellow and being out for that. I'd hope she swaps Kreiger in and has O'Hara play on the left with Dunn in reserve, I like Dunn a lot but they'll need defensive nous against France.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

seiferguy posted:

tfw they say they're out of Tim Horton's doughnuts

:lol:

habeasdorkus posted:

Horan will play the full France match, Ellis didn't want to risk her picking up a second yellow and being out for that. I'd hope she swaps Kreiger in and has O'Hara play on the left with Dunn in reserve, I like Dunn a lot but they'll need defensive nous against France.

Rapinoe can’t play because of the yellow card, right? That’s probably a lucky break for the USA, she has been very mediocre. Definitely take Dunn out too. They are going to need to be significantly better to beat France.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dunn would be fine if she wasn't being asked to play left back

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Rapinoe can’t play because of the yellow card, right?

Nope, that was her first this tourney. No one on the US suspended for the next match due to yellow card accumulation, and they get wiped out after the quarterfinals.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:lol:

Rapinoe can’t play because of the yellow card, right? That’s probably a lucky break for the USA, she has been very mediocre. Definitely take Dunn out too. They are going to need to be significantly better to beat France.

They've both been fine, but Rapinoe should probably sit for Press after an hour. She's still quite fit and very much a team leader. And Dunn has gotten steadier each match. Sweden and Spain aren't pushovers.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

They've both been fine, but Rapinoe should probably sit for Press after an hour. She's still quite fit and very much a team leader. And Dunn has gotten steadier each match. Sweden and Spain aren't pushovers.

I'm struggling to see how you think Rapinoe or Dunn have been any good in this tournament.

Dunn should start against France only because she has the pace to match the French wingers. Rapinoe has arguably been the worst player for the US in this tournament. If you want a leader on the pitch put Lloyd out there for the first hour and then bring her off when her legs are gone.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'd love to see Press start in Rapinoe's place but it will probably be Lloyd.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

To that end, does anyone know why Meghan Klingenberg, who started every match at the 2015 WWC at left back for the US hasn't even gotten a cap since 2017? She was in the FIFA world best XI in 2015. That seems bizarre to me that she hasn't/wouldn't even be in the squad for the past two years.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

I'm struggling to see how you think Rapinoe or Dunn have been any good in this tournament.

Dunn should start against France only because she has the pace to match the French wingers. Rapinoe has arguably been the worst player for the US in this tournament. If you want a leader on the pitch put Lloyd out there for the first hour and then bring her off when her legs are gone.

Agree on Dunn's pace, she is probably the best pure athlete on the side; maybe the fastest still in the tournament. For her inexperience at the position she's made up for it with amazing quickness. When she's been beaten, she's got these afterburners that have allowed her to recover and destroy. She's gained confidence every match.
Rapinoe has faffed around at her position and hit some clunkers, and made a few good drives into the box, takes a bad shot instead of crossing, then gets winded. But Press still has that deer in the headlights face like she doesn't think she belongs there. Psych 101.

I'd maybe replace Morgan with Lloyd because I don't see Morgan nearly as mentally tough as Lloyd, then sub after an hour like you say. Morgan fresh after everyone else has played an hour is a good weapon to have.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

To that end, does anyone know why Meghan Klingenberg, who started every match at the 2015 WWC at left back for the US hasn't even gotten a cap since 2017? She was in the FIFA world best XI in 2015. That seems bizarre to me that she hasn't/wouldn't even be in the squad for the past two years.

She should be there OP

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Not sure why she's been left out for so long but this squad just has so many fullbacks. Even Krieger was a surprise inclusion.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Agree on Dunn's pace, she is probably the best pure athlete on the side; maybe the fastest still in the tournament. For her inexperience at the position she's made up for it with amazing quickness. When she's been beaten, she's got these afterburners that have allowed her to recover and destroy. She's gained confidence every match.
Rapinoe has faffed around at her position and hit some clunkers, and made a few good drives into the box, takes a bad shot instead of crossing, then gets winded. But Press still has that deer in the headlights face like she doesn't think she belongs there. Psych 101.

I'd maybe replace Morgan with Lloyd because I don't see Morgan nearly as mentally tough as Lloyd, then sub after an hour like you say. Morgan fresh after everyone else has played an hour is a good weapon to have.

If you're going to roll so redundant in terms of offensive firepower, you've got to do something like this. I'm stunned Ellis can't figure out to do a 60 minute sub and just destroy the opposition

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

She should be there OP

Jaelene Hinkle should also probably be there as she's probably the best left back in the world but she's openly outspoken about her faith and how she doesn't agree with gay marriage so it's obvious to see why that would preclude her from being involved in a World Cup squad just from a chemistry standpoint. Then again, Hope Solo was an absolute nightmare but she was the best goalkeeper in the world. Hinkle is playing in the NWSL and winning trophies and no one seems bothered by her faith or her stance on same-sex marriage. It's entirely possible to be a good teammate and have dogshit opinions off the pitch, it never needs to be an issue in the locker room.

Jill Ellis also seems to me like someone who is absolutely going to hold a grudge or freeze someone out because she personally has an issue with them even if it's to the detriment of the team and the results she's supposed to produce.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Big Huski Boi posted:

Not sure why she's been left out for so long but this squad just has so many fullbacks. Even Krieger was a surprise inclusion.

She might have just gotten tired of the commitment.

Drunk Nerds posted:

If you're going to roll so redundant in terms of offensive firepower, you've got to do something like this. I'm stunned Ellis can't figure out to do a 60 minute sub and just destroy the opposition

I still don't know what to make of Jill Ellis after what, 6 years at the helm? Everyone thought she was an idiot last World Cup when the U.S. started slow in group. But, they kept getting it together more each game and owned Germany in the semi, stomped Japan into sushi in the final. Kinda hard to second guess that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shrapnig posted:

Jaelene Hinkle should also probably be there as she's probably the best left back in the world but she's openly outspoken about her faith and how she doesn't agree with gay marriage so it's obvious to see why that would preclude her from being involved in a World Cup squad just from a chemistry standpoint. Then again, Hope Solo was an absolute nightmare but she was the best goalkeeper in the world. Hinkle is playing in the NWSL and winning trophies and no one seems bothered by her faith or her stance on same-sex marriage. It's entirely possible to be a good teammate and have dogshit opinions off the pitch, it never needs to be an issue in the locker room.

Jill Ellis also seems to me like someone who is absolutely going to hold a grudge or freeze someone out because she personally has an issue with them even if it's to the detriment of the team and the results she's supposed to produce.

I thought with Hinkle it wasn't a matter of not being selected, she actually removed herself from the USWNT rather than have to wear a jersey with a Pride Month patch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Source your quotes

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I thought with Hinkle it wasn't a matter of not being selected, she actually removed herself from the USWNT rather than have to wear a jersey with a Pride Month patch.

Need a Dolly Parton mashup here-

Jaelene, Jaelene, Jaelene, JAELENE
Wear that Patch and learn to curb your Pride!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That was in 2017, she was called up again in 2018 but then removed from the pool after three days so why did she get called back in? Is it because she was too good to be overlooked despite her beliefs, was she called in without the consent of Ellis who then wrote her off immediately?

Or did she try to hand out flyers to Ali Krieger and Ashlyn Harris to try and pray away the gay which is a whole different animal. Full disclosure or whatever, I 100% disagree with Hinkle's views. gently caress and marry whoever you want as long as they're a consenting human adult.

There are plenty of anecdotes from former players about how they hated the guts of someone they played with, literally never talked to them off the pitch, but if they assisted the goal you scored in the match you'd go over and hug them and get on with it because that's your job.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

She might have just gotten tired of the commitment.

I still don't know what to make of Jill Ellis after what, 6 years at the helm? Everyone thought she was an idiot last World Cup when the U.S. started slow in group. But, they kept getting it together more each game and owned Germany in the semi, stomped Japan into sushi in the final. Kinda hard to second guess that.

I feel like Ellis is great at managing a balanced team, but doesn't understand how to min/max a lopsided squad. 2015 had a really balanced team, 2019 has a forward heavy squad that needs to take the pressure off the backfield at all costs. All of my USWT knowledge comes from just watching World Cup and Olympics, so I could be way off base.

Edit: She also didn't seem to be able to adjust to Sweden playing keep-away in the 2016 Olympics. I kinda get a "rigidly follow the plan, ignoring the actual game" from both that and her leaving in the struggling vets in today's game.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 25, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ellis is real loving bad at saying no to aging vets. In the case of Hinkle (being blocked out by Kreiger and Pinoe and such) that's probably a net positive for team chemistry* and in terms of putting her best team out there it's probably a negative. It's actually a shock to me that Lloyd hasn't gotten to start all the matches. Now if she can figure out to bench Pinoe, she might be onto something.

* Can you imagine the Federalist and Daily Caller articles all throughout the World Cup where she's being asked to burn her teammate and the articles about her being censored if she declined to comment?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I feel like Ellis is great at managing a balanced team, but doesn't understand how to min/max a lopsided squad. 2015 had a really balanced team, 2019 has a forward heavy squad that needs to take the pressure off the backfield at all costs. All of my USWT knowledge comes from just watching World Cup and Olympics, so I could be way off base.

Edit: She also didn't seem to be able to adjust to Sweden playing keep-away in the 2016 Olympics. I kinda get a "rigidly follow the plan, ignoring the actual game" from both that and her leaving in the struggling vets in today's game.

Also the lack of/late subs in general.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Moktaro posted:

Also the lack of/late subs in general.

Yeah, exactly. My body of knowledge comes as being a goalie for 12 years in the US mens U17 and what scared me the most was a sub out for a skilled forward. It totally hosed me up- hey I've got the rhythm of the offense now HERE'S A SKILLED DRIBBLER WHO JUST MINCES MY DEFENSIVE LINE AND HAS A TANKFUL.

AS a USWT fan I want to be wrong, but Ellis just do it so I can see how I was supposed to react

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Seems to me it'd be a whole lot easier to make excuses for a player who is an rear end in a top hat than someone who is a homophobe on a team with a number of gay women.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah I was gonna say that Hinkle went so far as to give an interview to Pat Robertson on the 700 Club so it's not like she was quiet about her views about having to play with gay teammates and celebrating Pride Month.

But also let's be honest about Hope Solo: the only reason why they put up with her poo poo for so long was because she was the best female goalkeeper in the world.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 25, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Quite a big difference between a player who's an rear end in a top hat and one who actively campaigns against your very existence.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, exactly. My body of knowledge comes as being a goalie for 12 years in the US mens U17 and what scared me the most was a sub out for a skilled forward. It totally hosed me up- hey I've got the rhythm of the offense now HERE'S A SKILLED DRIBBLER WHO JUST MINCES MY DEFENSIVE LINE AND HAS A TANKFUL.

AS a USWT fan I want to be wrong, but Ellis just do it so I can see how I was supposed to react

That’s a long time to play u17

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The head of the women's CAF has apparently said that Cameroon were embarrassing and that it reflected badly on African football as a whole.

Can't believe these Uncle Toms sometimes!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
A lot of NCC players have been passed over (Mewis and Dunn the exceptions, with JMac the edge case), but when they're called up they don't really work as well in the NT as they do with club. Williams, Hinkle and Matthias have gotten looks in the past year, and Zerboni was a regular before she busted her elbow. I think the ridiculously strong midfield for the Courage makes some of the other positions look better than they are, outside of the Hinkle homophobia controversy.

Casey Short is the defender that probably should have gotten called up over Krieger, but she's had some injuries.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

A lot of NCC players have been passed over (Mewis and Dunn the exceptions, with JMac the edge case), but when they're called up they don't really work as well in the NT as they do with club. Williams, Hinkle and Matthias have gotten looks in the past year, and Zerboni was a regular before she busted her elbow. I think the ridiculously strong midfield for the Courage makes some of the other positions look better than they are, outside of the Hinkle homophobia controversy.

Casey Short is the defender that probably should have gotten called up over Krieger, but she's had some injuries.

Yeah, Hinkle played several matches for the NT back in 2016 in prep for Rio and was increasingly bad -- she played a big part in China scoring (and then winning) in Wambach's final match and almost single-handedly gave up the equalizer in quals to Mexico. She played herself in 2017+ by pulling out of those pride friendlies at the last minute, but it wasn't like she had performed at Solo-esque "too good to ignore" levels for the NT prior to then.

And yeah, I definitely agree that most of the NC players who've gotten USWNT looks since 2015, or even just left for other club teams, don't seem to perform at nearly the same level. Dunn's barely even an exception because everyone knew she was good for the Spirit and had already been playing on the NT prior to being traded to NC. Hinkle/Williams/Mathias/Hatch/Smith have been okay-ish to outright bad for non-NC teams (Smith got pulled before the half in a 2018 game vs France because she was that terrible), and while Dahlkemper's stuck around as a starter alongside Sauerbrunn, I don't think she's been particularly GOOD in international play. Mewis seems to be the best of the bunch, of players who flourished under Paul Riley's system and continued to play well for any other coach. Even with her busted elbow, though, I'd probably still rather have Zerboni on the roster than Morgan Brian.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I completely forgot about Dahlkemper. I like her distribution, but her positioning and decision-making can be really suspect.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dahlkemper looks like she could be Tegan and Sara's sister

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I would like Italy to win today. I haven’t watched any of China’s matches. How do they look so far?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I would like Italy to win today. I haven’t watched any of China’s matches. How do they look so far?

Bad

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Gigi Galli posted:

judging from their ref in england - cameroon it could get spicy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

violent and dull, a potent combo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

violent and dull, a potent combo

Which one is China and which one is Italy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Which one is China and which one is Italy?

that was just referring to :china:

Italy is kind of interesting they just can't really finish (much like many other teams in this tournament)