Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Blockhouse posted:

They had to make Alphinaud and Alisaie twins because they couldn't afford to make another model an extra job at ARR launch wasn't ever in the cards

I mean, yeah. This sort of thing would have been decided in the basic design phase and the end result would be fairly different than we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait that seriously is why Alpha Nerd and Alisaie are twins?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Dancer seems much more buff based to be fair. An amount of their dps seems to come from sharing their standard finish buff and getting espirit from their partner, and sabre dance just looks ridiculous.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ImpAtom posted:

Wait that seriously is why Alpha Nerd and Alisaie are twins?

Yep, so they could get two characters for one model.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

That is amazing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah I think they would have saved themselves a lot of headaches if they had made a fourth "Support" category back in 2.0. But, alas.

I would've liked that, I think it would've opened doors for jobs that I'd really enjoy (unsurprisingly, given my whole Scholar thing). On top of Bard and Dancer I could see it being a place for Time Mage, a combat-oriented take on Chemist, or possibly a version of Blue Mage that isn't vaguely insulting.

The only problem is that I could see those sorts of jobs becoming essentially required takes for a serious team, which is something XIV's dev team both hates making and apparently can't resist if they get close (see: Bard, and probably Dancer). There's a reason that all of those jobs I mentioned are some level of indispensible in other Final Fantasies.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Why make a fourth role when ranged physical dps is basically already the support role.

Yoshi-p, redesign MCH to fit this framework, you coward!

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 25, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

How serious was the dev being when they revealed this?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Why make a fourth role when ranged physical dps is basically already the support role.

Yoshi-p, redesign MCH to fit this framework, you coward!

I mean, on one hand yes, because I want MCH to be my kind of job (and in most instances in the series it's in that mix, Edgar has a lot of that going on), but on the other hand like I said there's more types of job that fit that framework that'd be more magic-flavored, and they'd still be competing for DPS slots which was a problem in the first place.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 25, 2019

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Considering there's ice mages

I once heard tell that there were people who did only ice spells ever, this can't possibly still be true can it?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I once heard tell that there were people who did only ice spells ever, this can't possibly still be true can it?

i feel like this is a thing that maybe happened once in 2.x and people act like it's an endemic problem still. ive certainly never seen one

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

somepartsareme posted:

i feel like this is a thing that maybe happened once in 2.x and people act like it's an endemic problem still. ive certainly never seen one

I've seen it, but it was Sastasha and it was a clueless sprout who hadn't realized THM was supposed to cycle between fire and ice. All they knew was that fire made them run out of mana super fast. We set the newbie straight by the end of the run.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

How serious was the dev being when they revealed this?
It was during the dev panel at the Paris fanfest, when they had Ayumi Namae, the character concept artist on. During the Alisaie part of her panel (around 1:45:00 into this video https://www.twitch.tv/videos/373886703?collection=gSbBZoRwkxVsGQ if you want to gauge for yourself how serious they were being), they related the anecdote of running low on resources to allocate during ARR's development, and they still needed 2 characters, so part of the design request she got was for twins.

(Alisaie's look was designed first and Alphinaud was twinned from her, by the by.)

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

somepartsareme posted:

A few patches ago someone actually mathed out the dps of an ice mage, the link is somewhere in these 1927 pages.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I've seen it, but it was Sastasha and it was a clueless sprout who hadn't realized THM was supposed to cycle between fire and ice. All they knew was that fire made them run out of mana super fast. We set the newbie straight by the end of the run.
I've had that happen too except the newbie didn't respond at all. Also had people who are plain bad like a dude I meant in the Burn who just seemed to be randomly pressing buttons (going into umbral with a bunch of mana left, hard casting thunders during astral etc).

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Cythereal posted:

yeah not knowing how to play the job is one thing, but the "im not using fire spells because im a role player and you dont pay my sub!" mage seems like a creature of the gamer's frightened collective imagination

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've seen blizzard 3 only mages (plural, more than one run) in Keeper of the Lake, during 4.5.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody wants to be David Foster Wallace, but they all seem to forget that even David Foster Wallace ultimately didn't want to be David Foster Wallace.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I encountered one today. They aren't super common but there's more than 0.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

During the Q/A his only question is about houses with erotic roleplayers and it takes YoshiP nearly 10 minutes to explain the TOS to him. ahahaha

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Fat and Useless posted:

A few patches ago someone actually mathed out the dps of an ice mage, the link is somewhere in these 1927 pages.

IIRC it's not even terrible? You'll be doing less than tanks, but it's significantly higher than "basically zero". The deal is you have to still know how to ride your GCD and push cooldowns which an "ice mage" BLM probably won't be doing :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Another victory for the consistently superior english script.

For real. I don't know any Japanese, but everything I've heard about the Japanese script is that it's bone dry.

Comparatively, the English script is bone wet, if you catch my drift.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everybody wants to be David Foster Wallace, but they all seem to forget that even David Foster Wallace ultimately didn't want to be David Foster Wallace.

:shittypop:

Kwyndig posted:

I can't believe there are people who seriously want Tanaka and 1.0 back in earnest. Everything about that game was clown shoes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vanderdeath posted:

:shittypop:

I can't believe there are people who seriously want Tanaka and 1.0 back in earnest. Everything about that game was clown shoes.

It's weird. I can appreciate stuff from vanilla wow, which is something I played. I can appreciate stuff that FFXI did, which I never played. Then comes FF XIV 1.0 and everything about it sounded miserable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

Alisaie and Alphinaud were not in 1.0.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Some days I can play this game for 10 hours with no problem. Some days I get a fatal direct x error within 5 minutes.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Joined an in-progress expert roulette as a healer where the previous healer left after the first pull. The tank wasn't much better.

At least he did big pulls.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mayor McCheese posted:

During the Q/A his only question is about houses with erotic roleplayers and it takes YoshiP nearly 10 minutes to explain the TOS to him. ahahaha

This got some FFXIV youtuber extremely mad at him for *wasting precious QA time* :goonsay:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

what the hell

I thought I was a pretty bad dragoon but at least I've used Fang and Claw and Whirling Thrust ever in my life

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Draxion posted:

what the hell

I thought I was a pretty bad dragoon but at least I've used Fang and Claw and Whirling Thrust ever in my life

If you push a button on cd, you're in the median range for dps.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

JESUS gently caress, SE, IT IS NOW WEEK-OF. WHERE ARE THE NAMING CONVENTIONS THREADS.

I know, right? I've been waiting for the same. While scrolling though the OF I found posts that said they didn't reveal Au'ra names until the day before the race became playable.

So, I guess wait until Thursday? :shrug:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

why would you want a lore-compliant name when you can just call your viera Wabbit Season or whatever

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Here's the secret about people who want to play 1.0.

They want to play some version of 1.0 that existed after YoshiP took over.

Launch and pre-YoshiP 1.0 was even more lacking in content and poo poo.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Draxion posted:

why would you want a lore-compliant name when you can just call your viera Wabbit Season or whatever

Edit: I realized I made an identical post about my dumb viera joke name like, a week ago, so instead I'll throw in that a few people in my FC have been going off of viera names in FFTA and FFXII, although the impression I get is that the pool is a little limited.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 25, 2019

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dunno if it was linked but the countdown's already peaked with the 24th's art.

Other pics unrelated I'm just really hype.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Emalde posted:

IIRC it's not even terrible? You'll be doing less than tanks, but it's significantly higher than "basically zero". The deal is you have to still know how to ride your GCD and push cooldowns which an "ice mage" BLM probably won't be doing :v:

Found it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9l56ha/ice_mage_dps_numbers/

https://imgur.com/a/lt1WGAJ
Just the ACT graphs

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 25, 2019

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
It's FC photo time for everyone!

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
My wish for 5.0 is they remove the restriction on switching glamour plates in the open world. gently caress is it irritating to have to teleport to a city, switch plates, then return to where you were before.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

My wish for 5.0 is they remove the restriction on switching glamour plates in the open world. gently caress is it irritating to have to teleport to a city, switch plates, then return to where you were before.

That's probably not going to happen thanks to the horrifiying mess of backend code they're dealing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

That's probably not going to happen thanks to the horrifiying mess of backend code they're dealing with.

Honestly, I'm surprised Raubahn Ex was one of the only major problems in Stormblood.

Man am I loving glad I don't have to hear that theme that much anymore.