Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it's gonna be more helpful if you can tell us where and when you will be driving

all the cars posted are fine in snow but if you're gonna be trying to go through truckee in the winter or whatever, yeah, you want something different
same with rough roads - for some potholes, broken pavement, dirt roads, all will be fine but if you are going out in the desert on remote and not maintained roads, something like a 4runner is gonna be better

the prius is perfectly good it's just very dull to drive. you should drive one and find out because if you can tolerate the way it drives, it is extremely economical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's gonna be more helpful if you can tell us where and when you will be driving

all the cars posted are fine in snow but if you're gonna be trying to go through truckee in the winter or whatever, yeah, you want something different
same with rough roads - for some potholes, broken pavement, dirt roads, all will be fine but if you are going out in the desert on remote and not maintained roads, something like a 4runner is gonna be better

the prius is perfectly good it's just very dull to drive. you should drive one and find out because if you can tolerate the way it drives, it is extremely economical

I really wish I knew- it's going to start out in the Vegas HQ but then they might send me out anywhere in the state.

I'll email the guy I interviewed with and ask

edit: heard back, he said that he didn't know exactly where I'd be, but snow would be minimal and all the roads he drives on just fine in his Corolla. So I'll pass on the 4Runner for now.

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 25, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

zapplez posted:

If you are hung up on a wagon and were willing to deal with a VW, you might as well go full baller.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

None of these are a e55/63 AMG wagon :colbert:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kingcobweb posted:

Budget: <$20k

Looking for compact/sub-compact

I've been living in Seattle absolutely joyously car-free for eight years. I'm getting a job in Vegas that requires a car, and I'll probably be there for 18 months. After the 18 months, chances are I'll come back to Seattle and would prefer not to own it at all. I haven't driven a car my whole time up here (rent and parking are loving expensive in the city) and this is very intimidating!

The usage won't just be "daily commuter," but actually driving it a decent amount for the job itself- I'm not exactly sure yet since I don't know if I'll get moved somewhere else in the state of Nevada after Vegas, but it's very possible I'll be driving 50+ miles a day for those 18 months.

Priorities:

1) fuel economy

2) reliability

3) I'm 6'5" and would like a car that won't put my knees up to my chest or push down on my head the whole time. But I'm usually fine when I ride shotgun in peoples' cars, so this should be ok, but I'm including it just in case there's a car that would be perfect except it's made for short people

4) this one I'm totally fine solving aftermarket for a few hundred if needed, but I'm a huge music nerd and would prefer something where I can connect my iphone to play music without wanting to punch the console in frustration or have it sound like total poo poo. I'm not asking for the soundsystem that'll blast through the neighborhood I just don't want it to be awful

So, I'm in complete ignorance about so many things. Is there any difference buying in Washington vs Nevada? Are there legal/insurance ramifications to doing it in one state vs another? Does the "leases always suck" explanation still apply if I really only need the car for 18 months?

Cars I'm looking at are Mazda 3, Toyota Yaris & Corolla, and Subaru Impreza, probably used from the last couple years (also my credit union has a slightly lower APR if it's model year 2017 or newer). Are all of these gonna stand up well once they've driven through every speck of dust across the state?

edit: 2 or 4 door is fine, hatchback is good-to-maybe-preferable, I probably need a 4-seater but if people need a ride in my car that bad then gently caress em they can climb into a 2-seater to get there who cares

You owe it to add the latest gen Honda Civic to your competition. Its a better drivers car than the Toyota compacts and its going to last forever. If you #1 and 2 concern are reliability and fuel economy, you should get the Corolla, but if its just a tit too pedestrian for you, check out the Civic.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

shovelbum posted:

Hey Vegas guy if there's a chance that you're going to be driving this thing for work all over Nevada find out exactly what that means in terms of the quality of roads you're going to be on, Nevada outside Vegas is like a pile of uninhabited rocks.

And for fucks sake, don't drive anywhere near Goldfield. I felt like I was gonna get lynched.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Shine posted:

And for fucks sake, don't drive anywhere near Goldfield. I felt like I was gonna get lynched.

Goldfield was once the most populous city in the state! :eng101:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Proposed Budget: < 35k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: sedan
How will you be using the car?: 45min commute with 20-30min bumper-to-bumper. Also have a kid so there will be a carseat.

What aspects are most important to you?
Need navigation as the wife has no sense of direction. I think CarPlay will also work. Want a decent sound system.

Is there a hybrid that isn't totally crap to drive?

If I don't get a hybrid I'll almost definitely get a manual.
Otherwise I'm looking at the mazda 3 or civic si.

Or should I get the hybrid and talk my wife into a miata next year?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I mean, a Porsche 918 is a hybrid, but good luck at $35k.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Spite posted:

How will you be using the car?: 45min commute with 20-30min bumper-to-bumper. Also have a kid so there will be a carseat.

Need navigation as the wife has no sense of direction. I think CarPlay will also work. Want a decent sound system.

Prius now and Miata next year is a very good solution.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

None of these are a e55/63 AMG wagon :colbert:

I've kind of hosed around with buying an AMG E but the problem is the normal E wagon is really, really good and you can buy one and then stuff $40k in your pocket vs the AMG

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Maksimus54 posted:

Prius now and Miata next year is a very good solution.

Corolla hybrid is supposedly a bit more lively than the competition.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've kind of hosed around with buying an AMG E but the problem is the normal E wagon is really, really good and you can buy one and then stuff $40k in your pocket vs the AMG

Yes, but who doesn't want a corvette murdering station wagon?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

Yes, but who doesn't want a corvette murdering station wagon?

i've just decided that i don't want one $40,000 worth

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i've just decided that i don't want one $40,000 worth

I hate when BFC beats AI.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Spite posted:

If you want a reasonably-priced hybrid, I've been reading good things about the new (19+) Honda Insight as an alternative to a Prius.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a21622895/2019-honda-insight-first-drive-review/
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/insight/2019/2019-toyota-prius-2019-honda-insight-hybrid-comparison-review/

"I've hardly driven 100 feet out of our parking lot before I'm already talking to myself: "Wow, this thing's steering and brakes feel worlds better than the Prius."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Accord Hybrid is decent to drive and a bit bigger than the Insight

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Camry Solara is just a 2 door Camry right? I'm not seeing any major reports of problems with them.

Edit: 2nd gen, not for me, for my mom's coworker.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i thought it was a camry convertible offhand

later on they got avalon powertrains but early ones should be pretty much a camry

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Spite posted:

I have been driving my 2019 Honda Insight Touring for nearly a year now and it's been fantastic.

I originally wanted a Hybrid but couldn't stand the Prius. I tried some others, but automakers like to just put a hybrid battery into another car and pretend it's fine but then the mileage is poo poo and the engine is underpowered (like the Malibu Hybrid with like 20% of the trunk occupied permanently by the battery). Also usually the handling in Hybrids is... off, like in the Prius.

The Insight was the only hybrid I actually enjoyed driving so I ended up buying it. Mine has CarPlay which works perfect with my iPhone. All the computer bits work just fine. Supposedly Honda hybrid batteries are less reliable than their competitors, though, but I don't know anything about that yet.

If you have any questions for me I can answer them here or via PM.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Do friends let friends buy Maxima's?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheReverend posted:

Only they buy brand new and get really lovely financing.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

How "bad with money" would it be to replace a perfectly functional 2012 Subaru Outback with a Kona EV or Bolt EV? The car is being used as a daily driver ~15 miles a day with 4-8 300-mi trips per year.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

How "bad with money" would it be to replace a perfectly functional 2012 Subaru Outback with a Kona EV or Bolt EV? The car is being used as a daily driver ~15 miles a day with 4-8 300-mi trips per year.

It's only a smart move if you get the Bolt in Shock. (My understanding is the Kona is just better, but it doesn't come in Shock so...)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

It's only a smart move if you get the Bolt in Shock. (My understanding is the Kona is just better, but it doesn't come in Shock so...)

And a Tesla and Jaguar I-Pace would only be worse with money, right?

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

If you can wait a little you might save money by buying a used EV since they tend to depreciate quickly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cascadia Pirate posted:

If you can wait a little you might save money by buying a used EV since they tend to depreciate quickly.

A used 2013 Model S is only 40k now ! :homebrew:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cascadia Pirate posted:

Since my existing car is just fine at the moment, and since I go by "Replace it when repair costs become excessive" I am in no rush to replace my current car. I am just trying to figure out if there are any long term savings if I replace my car now, rather than wait until I run the current car into the ground (which can easily take 10 years).

FilthyImp posted:

A used 2013 Model S is only 40k now ! :homebrew:

The crew in the EV anticipation thread on AI does not speak very highly of Teslas (not sure if they are :spergin:), but I would prefer to buy from an established company.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
I can't speak to Tesla, but Leafs had the second or third highest depreciation of any car over the last five years and are perfect commuter cars if you can live the EV life. Before buying new I'd look at the used prices to get a feel. Keep in mind new EVs have tax incentives in the US.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cascadia Pirate posted:

... if you can live the EV life ...

What does this mean? Can you elaborate?

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

A place to charge, don't need the car for long trips, etc.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

Your 300 mile trips are going to take 4 or 5 hours longer. You have to remember to keep your car charged. If you're low on juice, you can't just run down to the gas station and top it up.

You have to make some adjustments to how you think about using your car and do more planning.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

theHUNGERian posted:

The crew in the EV anticipation thread on AI does not speak very highly of Teslas (not sure if they are :spergin:), but I would prefer to buy from an established company.
Tesla sucks if you need actual maintenance/service/replacement parts. Some folks have had their cars nonfunctional for over a month or two thanks to scant parts. Even the parts that are available (like the easily breakable door handles) can be dumb expensive.
And, you know, there's the Autopilot that can wreck you .

Your commute is small enough that you could get a Plug-In Hybrid and still be good for the longer trips you take. You can easily find a Spark EV or older Leaf that would handle your daily like a champ, but would be murder on that 400mile trip. You'd either need to be a very good planner and cool with a few stops and downtime, or keep an ICE car for the long haul (though you could always rent one I guess).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Got it. I thought that "life" meant "lifetime of car" and was different from "range on full charge".

Edit: I do not mind having a 1-hour stop on my 300 mile trips to charge the car. But anything longer or more frequent than that will test my patience.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 30, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

theHUNGERian posted:

Edit: I do not mind having a 1-hour stop on my 300 mile trips to charge the car. But anything longer or more frequent than that will test my patience.
A 2016 Leaf with a bigger battery gets you like 105 miles, dude. An L2 charger will probably take 2-3ish hours to top you off from empty. (And the Leaf does not have a great charging gear). But the more recent model year probably wont be as affordable as a 2013 model...

A PHEV would probably be a better match for you, but I'm not sure the Gen1 Volts are going to be as cheap as an older Leaf, though. At least those will ket you switch to ICE for the longer trips.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TheReverend posted:

Not from the CVT era. This applies to all Nissans.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If I were looking for a used Kia or Hyundai, what are the good models and years for them? My understanding is that at some point they turned the corner on reliability but it'd be nice to have some guidelines.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Early to mid 00's. Like, I think the second Gen Sportage was a "good" model and came out in '04.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Uthor posted:

Early to mid 00's. Like, I think the second Gen Sportage was a "good" model and came out in '04.

Oh wow, that long ago? I was looking in the 2010-12 range. That helps a lot.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

And a Tesla and Jaguar I-Pace would only be worse with money, right?

Well the Tesla comes in dull colors. Photon red I-Pace might be alright. But come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

theHUNGERian posted:

Since my existing car is just fine at the moment, and since I go by "Replace it when repair costs become excessive" I am in no rush to replace my current car. I am just trying to figure out if there are any long term savings if I replace my car now, rather than wait until I run the current car into the ground (which can easily take 10 years).

Where do you live? In BFC terms an electric car might not save you much money in gas costs if you commute 30 miles a day, unless you live in CA or CT where gas is more expensive. Also if you don't live in CA or the Northeast or certain cities elsewhere there are far fewer level 3 chargers available.

Can you plug in your car at home? This may be a problem if you live in an apartment.

Do you live somewhere with cold winters? Cold greatly reduces range, and you will need a level 2 charger (240 volt outlet + stuff) at home to properly charge in the cold.

If you got a 100 mile range EV you could just rent a car for the occasional long trip

I recently bought a Niro EV which is the cousin of the Kona EV so I can tell you about what it's like to drive, but there are several other things to consider. Like how it is not available in Shock.