Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Ron Paul 2012!! End the fed!

Seriously though, what sort of future do you envision that has no nation-state? How do we combat climate change if we've reduced human organization to the scale of small tribes?

Climate change was caused by nation-states. I said I wasn't an economist, but even I know about negative externalities. The best way to fix climate change would have been abolishing states 20 years ago. The next best thing is abolishing states today.

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So did Gerald Cotten actually die?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

So did Gerald Cotten actually die?

Yeah, ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

xtal posted:

Capitalism = Bad
Statism = Bad
Capitalism + Statism = Bad + Bad
Capitalism + Statism - Statism = Bad
Bad < Bad + Bad

Now with all this bad, how do you feel about crypto only having its value directly tied to bad + bad fiat? Crypo has literally zero value otherwise.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

xtal posted:

Climate change was caused by nation-states. I said I wasn't an economist, but even I know about negative externalities. The best way to fix climate change would have been abolishing states 20 years ago. The next best thing is abolishing states today.
Yes, I'm sure a feudal society with industrial technology would be supremely eco-conscious...

You didn't answer my first question. What sort of future do you envision we live after the state has been abolished? Who maintains the interstate highway and the train systems? Or are you an anarcho-primitivist? Oh god please be an an-prim, I've never encountered a real one in the wilds of internet fora.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

d3lness posted:

Now with all this bad, how do you feel about crypto only having its value directly tied to bad + bad fiat? Crypo has literally zero value otherwise.

in a world with no fiat then crypto is worth what i say it's worth and it's worth everything you own now pay up bi *is eviscerated*

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
At least in the coming stateless Mad Max hellworld, we won't have to read idiot bitcoiners' posts. This will be a great comfort to me as Lord Humungous ties me to the bumper of his truck

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I mean if we abolish nation states, and all of modern society breaks down because the fragility of civil society actually depends pretty strongly on the notion of the monopoly of legitimate force and the resultant anarchy, score-settling, famines, regression in technology because the failure of delicate interconnected systems like the power grid, internet, municipal water, telecommunications, transportation, etc., and billions die in the resultant burning of authority, well! You won't get a lot of carbon creation once humanity is reduced to tribes scrabbling life out of the ruins of civilization.

Take that you statist fudsters!

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

kw0134 posted:

I mean if we abolish nation states, and all of modern society breaks down because the fragility of civil society actually depends pretty strongly on the notion of the monopoly of legitimate force and the resultant anarchy, score-settling, famines, regression in technology because the failure of delicate interconnected systems like the power grid, internet, municipal water, telecommunications, transportation, etc., and billions die in the resultant burning of authority, well! You won't get a lot of carbon creation once humanity is reduced to tribes scrabbling life out of the ruins of civilization.

Handing out the truth bombs like free samples over here. We've all be thoroughly cryptowned.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

kw0134 posted:

:hmmyes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Capitalism is fine with strong government regulation.

It's complete garbage when allowed to run amok.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Capitalism is fine with strong government regulation.

It's complete garbage when allowed to run amok.

Yes, capitalism has been garbage since from around Nixon onwards, and only getting worse. Hell, you could say it really started to go poo poo shortly after WWII, but the real plunge came a bit later.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Does statism mean anything or is it just a libertarian cuss word

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

No system is perfect because people aren't perfect. The delusion is thinking that if that one rule or that lack of rules will fix it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

No system is perfect because people aren't perfect.

And until we can find a perfect system, we can't replace capitalism or even try to make it work better. It's all or nothing.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Capitalism is a really robust system that works at large scale or small. It's basically "I want that. You want this. Let's barter, and because not everything has the same value, let's used this item of measured value to trade with." Bitcoin is broken because trade value is going in but lol if you ever try to get trade value out of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

Capitalism is a really robust system that works at large scale or small. It's basically "I want that. You want this. Let's barter, and because not everything has the same value, let's used this item of measured value to trade with." Bitcoin is broken because trade value is going in but lol if you ever try to get trade value out of it.

Just think of it like a lottery ticket only the money goes to drug dealers and ransomware operators instead of schools and roads and also it's slowly cooking the planet.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

xtal posted:

You would kind of think this thread was done after Mastercard, Visa, eBay, PayPal, and Stripe were like "well, I guess we were wrong!"

This is an excellent worked example of a dumb and bad bitcoiner take, when someone is apparently physically incapable of doing the reading. You should read Visa and PayPal's press releases on Libra - they are hilariously unenthusiastic about actually lifting a finger towards this project, and seem to have ponied up their $10m just for inside info.

In other news, my Foreign Policy piece on Libra is out. My thesis: these SV techbros are absolutely big, arrogant and dumb enough to do a 2008 all by themselves, 'cos they're the smartest guys in the room.

Also, Carlos Maslaton from Xapo said the quiet bit out loud and proudly bragged that Libra was in it for the shadow banking. This was not smart.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

xtal posted:

You would kind of think this thread was done after Mastercard, Visa, eBay, PayPal, and Stripe were like "well, I guess we were wrong!"

Libra has nothing to do with Bitcoin, though?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

xtal posted:

Capitalism = Bad
Statism = Bad
Capitalism + Statism = Bad + Bad
Capitalism + Statism - Statism = Bad
Bad < Bad + Bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsUXAEzaC3Q

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What about anarcho-communism

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powershift posted:

What about anarcho-communism

That seems like it would work fine if it was a small village where there was no official leader or town council and people mostly did their own thing, but disputes or decisions that affect everyone were decided by consensus. It probably won't work on anything bigger than a village of a few hundred where everyone is cousins, because it requires people to cooperate and not be shitlers.

Oh, and it won't work if the neighbours are nation states with standing armies who decide they want your stuff. Even Canada could take your stuff.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Even Canada could take your stuff.

And they would too, the fuckers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Government is civilisation.

Who needs buttcoins if everyone is a subsistence farmer or hunter gather with barely enough to barter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oohhboy posted:

Government is civilisation.

Who needs buttcoins if everyone is a subsistence farmer or hunter gather with barely enough to barter.

Food has no intrinsic value, and those farmers should go hungry to sell produce and buy bitcoin so once bitcoin is the world's one currency, they'll be billionaires.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I just wanted to say that MarksMan is loving retarded

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

Also, Carlos Maslaton from Xapo said the quiet bit out loud and proudly bragged that Libra was in it for the shadow banking. This was not smart.

You're talking like you're an expert on the subject but that's literally been the entire point this whole time

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

xtal posted:

You're talking like you're an expert on the subject but that's literally been the entire point this whole time

Lol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

xtal posted:

:actually:

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Hey Xtal:

Fleetwood Crack posted:

What sort of future do you envision we live after the state has been abolished?

Who maintains the interstate highway and the train systems?

Or are you an anarcho-primitivist?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's really up to each group to decide for themselves voluntarily. I don't make any claims aside from that. But if you can't imagine a society where people don't need the state to do everything for them, maybe that's a you problem? It's a pessimistic and defeatist attitude to say "that world would be poo poo because people don't do anything, and by the way, I won't either." Be the change you want to see in the world.

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 25, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
double post

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

That's really up to each group to decide for themselves voluntarily. I don't make any claims aside from that. But if you can't imagine a society where people don't need the state to do everything for them, maybe that's a you problem? It's a pessimistic and defeatist attitude to say "that world would be poo poo because people don't do anything, and by the way, I won't either." Be the change you want to see in the world.

ah, to be this naive

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

xtal posted:

I choose to be a neo-feudal warlord and God-king who will invade your defenseless tribe, enslave your people, and take your resources for my empire.

Hope that's not violating the NAP.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

we live in a society on the blockchain

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nessus posted:

Does statism mean anything or is it just a libertarian cuss word

The joke I always remember when I hear that word is: a libertarian calling someone a "statist" is like a pedophile calling someone an "adult-fucker".

So, yes.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I choose to be a neo-feudal warlord and God-king who will invade your defenseless tribe, enslave your people, and take your resources for my empire.

Hope that's not violating the NAP.

That would never happen if we had states to help us from foreign invaders!

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

xtal posted:

That would never happen if we had states to help us from foreign invaders!

I'm the unironic invocation of the God Emporer Trump meme used as an argument.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I was talking about Putin, who owned your state in much the same way you described. (In fact, it would probably be a lot harder to get so owned if there wasn't a state in place to be hijacked.)

xtal fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

xtal posted:

I was talking about Putin, who owned your state in much the same way you described.
How many nights did you sleep in a room full of bitcoin asics to cook your brain this much?

Since you can't even finish your thoughts before clicking Post:

xtal posted:

I was talking about Putin, who owned your state in much the same way you described. (In fact, it would probably be a lot harder to get so owned if there wasn't a state in place to be hijacked.)
The best way to prevent the violation of norms is to remove the structure of normalcy :pseudo:

PRO TIP: If you're going to troll people at least figure out where your line is so you aren't editing things consistently. Real cranks are a lot more genuine.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 25, 2019