Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Box of Bunnies posted:

I guess where we're just fundamentally disagreeing is that I feel like as long as Doctor Who can properly demonstrate the horrors of the period it's visiting, and ideally tie that into modern issues in some way, while allowing the actual historical events to play out mostly as-was with any sci-fi elements being tangential to the true history rather than directly "causing" or interacting with it in any way, then that's the best you could hope for from Dr. Who...We're beyond the point where punching Hitler and shoving him in the cupboard to make a mockery of him and his ideology works.

No, I'm with you there. That's exactly what Doctor Who should be doing (and I would to see the show become more historical, too). It's just that I have a hard time imagining a Holocaust episode doing more good than harm.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I realize that I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but:

if goddamn Stanley Kubrick didn't feel he could do justice to the horrors of the Holocaust in a feature-length film, I honestly don't have high hopes for Chris Chibnall doing so during the running time of a Doctor Who episode.

This is basically my problem with the idea. I try and imagine "The Holocaust episode, written by..." and no name after that inspires me with confidence. Davies? Nope. Moffat? Nope. Gatiss? Chibnall? Nooope and NOOOOOOPE. Paul Cornell? Mayyybe? But the conventional way he treats the First World War in Human Nature worries me.

If you put a gun to my head and told me to pick a writer for the episode, I guess I'd say Vinay Patel off the strength of Demons of the Punjab, though that's all I've ever seen of his work. That's kind of a weird pigeonhole for a writer, though.

York_M_Chan posted:

I keep thinking about J.R.R. Tolkin and C.S. Lewis. J.R.R. claimed that LotR wasn't a direct parallel to the political climate of his times but obviously it seeped its way into his work. C.S. Lewis' work, however, was much more on the nose, obviously, with its heavy-handed metaphors. I feel like last season was much more Lewis-y.

Pedantic point here, but the Narnia stuff isn't technically a metaphor. Aslan is literally Jesus, just an alternate reality version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Only tangentially on topic but this seems the thread for it, I've been on a Sherlock Holmes kick of late (a frustrating job with short periods of downtime, no internet access but a public domain library of literary classics led me to read a bunch of Doyle's original work) and as a result have been working my way through the Granada series of Holmes adaptations featuring Jeremy Brett and they're delightful

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gaz-L posted:

Only tangentially on topic but this seems the thread for it, I've been on a Sherlock Holmes kick of late (a frustrating job with short periods of downtime, no internet access but a public domain library of literary classics led me to read a bunch of Doyle's original work) and as a result have been working my way through the Granada series of Holmes adaptations featuring Jeremy Brett and they're delightful

Brett is my second favourite Holmes after Clive Merrison on the radio. And Clive Merrison was in Paradise Towers so we're still on topic and fine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

They are loving great and Jeremy Brett is incredible. I've said it a million times before but the episodes where he is trying and failing to contain his amusement/delight at the prospect of a particularly interesting case to take his mind of the boredom of everyday life are just wonderful. He KNOWS that he's supposed to be treating the whole thing seriously and that people will get upset with him if he doesn't give it the proper gravitas but at the same time,"A spectral hound roaming the moors? Well I can't wait to figure THIS crazy poo poo out! :neckbeard: oh right, their relative died or something right, I shouldn't be laughing when they say that..... maybe a phosphorous coating? Oh poo poo I can do experiments hell yes! Wait wait, she's crying... gently caress... uhhh.... look serious now, Sherlock."

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think I just want my Doctor Who to be fun and adventurous... THE HOLOCAUST...

Chibnall, you wily bastard. I have a feeling this is going to be the last season/series of DW I watch as it airs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

They are loving great and Jeremy Brett is incredible. I've said it a million times before but the episodes where he is trying and failing to contain his amusement/delight at the prospect of a particularly interesting case to take his mind of the boredom of everyday life are just wonderful. He KNOWS that he's supposed to be treating the whole thing seriously and that people will get upset with him if he doesn't give it the proper gravitas but at the same time,"A spectral hound roaming the moors? Well I can't wait to figure THIS crazy poo poo out! :neckbeard: oh right, their relative died or something right, I shouldn't be laughing when they say that..... maybe a phosphorous coating? Oh poo poo I can do experiments hell yes! Wait wait, she's crying... gently caress... uhhh.... look serious now, Sherlock."

Huh, the thing that's struck me the most has been the opposite actually. There's a bit at the end of The Blue Carbuncle (the one that's actually pretty silly in Doyle's version because it revolves around a lost hat and a gem stuck in a goose's throat) where in the short story Holmes is kind of just sighing about Watson's tut-tuting him for letting the culprit go. Brett instead bellows the lines about how it's not his loving job to do the police's work FOR them, damnit!

And in The Final Problem he stammers over his words very slightly during the confrontation with Moriarty and closes his dressing gown tightly, just a hint of fear creeping through at the thought that the professor could probably have marched in the door and shot him if he'd been so inclined.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

His own health declined heavily during the series and I'm never quite sure how much of his performance is a result of his ill-health and how much is him adding in these wonderful little physical touches/mannerisms to add to the character, but no actor has come close for me since then. Problems with the modern Sherlock kinda disappearing up its own rear end a bit aside, I really dug Benedict Cumberbatch but he was no Jeremy Brett, but who the hell could be?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Problems with the modern Sherlock kinda disappearing up its own rear end a bit aside

You are being extremely generous here haha.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

You are being extremely generous here haha.
The Jimmy Saville episode in season 4 was really good! I mean, yeah the final episode was one of the worst things I've ever seen but... the Jimmy Saville episode was really good :negative:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
"Sherlock... there was no... hound... the Baskervilles... were being haunted by the ghost of your best friend all along...." - Steven Moffat writing Sherlock fanfic as a teen, probably

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Adding to the pile of Brett-love. He was utterly fantastic at Holmes, and injected a warmth into him that so few other actors do. His portrayal in The Master Blackmailer (a lengthened version of The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton) has this wonderful wistfulness at what could potentially be, with regards to his 'engagement'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Two other things: David Burke's Watson is phenomenal. The second Watson is good, but Burke was great, especially when they started to give him some of Holmes' dialogue from the stories to show Watson being at least more able than anyone at following Sherlock's line of thought once he gave a conclusion. So Brett does the bit of "you are clearly a tailor, a gambler and a Belgian" but then Watson reels off how they could tell.

And less to do with the Granada version and more just in general, I'm kind of annoyed that no-one ever adapts the Valley of Fear. It's probably the best of the novels (yes, even over Baskervilles, don't @ me), but because it does the split structure where the second half is about the backstory to the crime and is a later work, it always gets left out. It's the only other one that has Moriarty, for pete's sake!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Oh yes please!!!!

https://twitter.com/megsponchoboys/status/1143474517865619459

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

THE ROBOTS ...

OF DEATH!!!

Nicola Walker stars in the 12 part series THE ROBOTS

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/the-robots?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=the_robots&utm_content=red_eye

BF going to have a 20 hours Doctor Who marathon in July:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-celebrates-20-years-on-audio-at-big-finish-with-20-hour-livestream

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

GIMME

https://twitter.com/RadioFreeSkaro/status/1144287436555427841

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s a great Dalek color scheme

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
A New York Yankees Dalek!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:swoon: It shall be mine!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The Doctor outfit is obviously from Dark Eyes, but what's the Dalek from? One of the Time War sets?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

cargohills posted:

The Doctor outfit is obviously from Dark Eyes, but what's the Dalek from? One of the Time War sets?

Time War Vol 2: In the Garden of Death. It's the Dalek Interrogator Prime.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s a great Dalek color scheme

:agreed:

Blue and Silver...I may like that more than Imperial White and Gold.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My favorite was when Character Options released a Dalek 2 pack back in 05, one was the new series bronze, and the other was gold and black, but wasn't basted on anything.

So author Trevor Baxendale made it the color scheme of the Dalek Inquisitor X in his Tenth Doctor novel "Prisoner of the Daleks".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Well that explains that weird Ravenous story where Liv does the whole "Bye Doctor, I'll see you again in a year". With me thinking, oh, okay, probably time to give Helen something...anything...to do, or a new companion- and then they immediately cut to a year later, and she gets back on board and they don't really talk about the weird blip.

Notably, it's not the first audio based on Kaldor - that was Kaldor City, where it exists in that strange legal limbo of "Here's our Doctor Who x Blake 7 crossover, but without the bits that'd get us sued".

[e]: Jumped through some hyperlinks and somehow just ended up reading up on Faction Paradox, and my eyes glazed over :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 28, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Jumped through some hyperlinks and somehow just ended up reading up on Faction Paradox, and my eyes glazed over :psyduck:

J̵͈̰̤̗͉͖o͇͔̦i͎̪̩̘ͅn̸ ͏͓̰̖͇̘̯ͅu̶͔s̱̯̤̝̯̙͘

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

What if Time Lords, but too much

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Having classic Doctor Who on all the time on Pluto is pretty rad. It's perfect background entertainment. Although it was really weird last night where it went to a commercial after like the first 5 minutes and when it came back it was a completely different episode.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Perpetual Pluto been my background to everything the past few days. Two takeaways:

1) They've been on a Rani kick and while Gomez!Master was great Moffat really couldn't have found a more Kate O'Mara looking actress if he tried. I'm wondering if there was at some point a plan to go "Surprise! I've been the Rani all along. Because we're totally down with putting a millennia into loving with you, Doctor."

2)There's got to be a tie-in whatever that covers how the Seal of Rassilon was first seen as the symbol of the Vogans (Revenge of the Cybermen). It's a minor plot hiccup and folks have word counts to fill.

HelleSpud fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 29, 2019

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

HelleSpud posted:

1) They've been on a Rani kick and while Gomez!Master was great Moffat really couldn't have found a more Kate O'Mara looking actress if he tried. I'm wondering if there was at some point a plan to go "Surprise! I've been the Rani all along. Because we're totally down with putting a millennia into loving with you, Doctor."

I'm not sure Moffatt ever had a serious plan for Gomez to be anyone other than the Master, but IIRC he has claimed they actually filmed a false version of the Missy reveal scene where she said she was the Rani to try to throw off any leaks.

It always throws me off that there was a character called Rani in the Sarah Jane Adventures. I've only seen bits of the show, did it ever acknowledge the coincidence? Like, in one of the episodes with Ten or Eleven did Sarah Jane go "oh here's my pal Rani" and the Doctor shat a brick?

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I just saw a really cool video on the missing episodes of Classic Who and a part of me can't help but wonder: why not try to recreate these episodes with David Bradley, for example? Release it on the 60th anniversary as a tribute. I feel like it would drum up a lot of hype for that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I believe the original plan for Twice Upon A Time involved them wanting to actually fully recreate The Tenth Planet with David Bradley and the other actors? But in the end we just got a few brief snippets.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If you mean literally refilming them as close as you can to how they would have been, you're talking like 18+ hours of television, a good series and a half extra over what we already get a year. If you recreate whole stories where there's only a single episode or two missing to create consistency then that number balloons out. The BBC would never pay for it.

If you mean taking the premise of each story with missing episodes and turning them into a series of 45 minute David Bradley First Doctor Who episodes that'd probably be more feasible, and something that would be easier to sell to modern audiences, but it'd take a lot of reworking considering the stories involved are spread across three seasons of old show with a shifting Tardis crew makeup

Either way I personally don't like the idea. I loved the anniversary docudrama, and Bradley is a fine actor, but his portrayal of the Doctor is off from Hartnell's, and the characterisation of that Doctor in Twice Upon A Time was wrong from the actual First Doctor and honestly kind of insulting to the character and the era. And I'm still ambivalent towards that kind of recasting; William Hartnell was already recast as the Doctor, he was replaced by Patrick Troughton

If they were going to commission some kind of secondary series, I'd always prefer we get more televised Paul McGann stories or whatever

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I believe the original plan for Twice Upon A Time involved them wanting to actually fully recreate The Tenth Planet with David Bradley and the other actors? But in the end we just got a few brief snippets.

The original plan was actually, instead of splicing in archival footage, to re-shoot those scenes they use from The Tenth Planet. There was never a plan to totally recreate it, it was just an alternative way to do that opening bit.

They did shoot the stuff, using the original camera positions and blocking (the bits they did reshoot and use with Bradley were using the methods they normally use for New Who), and you can see it in the behind-the-scenes special they did.

EDIT: Mark Gatiss did say, in that exact special, that he'd have liked to see that approach to recreating the missing episodes. Because when they actually did do it, it wasn't too hard and did look pretty good, although of course a big part of it was being able to re-use stuff they already had around from Adventure in Space and Time and New Who. Never would've happened if they hadn't just that season made O.G. Cybermen costumes.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 1, 2019

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cleretic posted:

The original plan was actually, instead of splicing in archival footage, to re-shoot those scenes they use from The Tenth Planet. There was never a plan to totally recreate it, it was just an alternative way to do that opening bit.

They did shoot the stuff, using the original camera positions and blocking (the bits they did reshoot and use with Bradley were using the methods they normally use for New Who), and you can see it in the behind-the-scenes special they did.

EDIT: Mark Gatiss did say, in that exact special, that he'd have liked to see that approach to recreating the missing episodes. Because when they actually did do it, it wasn't too hard and did look pretty good, although of course a big part of it was being able to re-use stuff they already had around from Adventure in Space and Time and New Who. Never would've happened if they hadn't just that season made O.G. Cybermen costumes.

That's a sweet idea, but how slavishly do you adhere to the idea of remaking something that's techniques and technology have dated so much? Do you include any goofs or noted bad acting? Its very much a no win scenario I think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, definitely makes more sense to pour that money into the televised 8th Doctor Adventures with Paul McGann like they loving promised me they would the goddamn cowards :negative:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gaz-L posted:

Two other things: David Burke's Watson is phenomenal. The second Watson is good, but Burke was great, especially when they started to give him some of Holmes' dialogue from the stories to show Watson being at least more able than anyone at following Sherlock's line of thought once he gave a conclusion. So Brett does the bit of "you are clearly a tailor, a gambler and a Belgian" but then Watson reels off how they could tell.

Plus David Burke gave us this gif

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What's that you say, an incredibly tenuous reason to post this beautiful comic strip that I love with all my heart? Very well, if you insist!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PriorMarcus posted:

That's a sweet idea, but how slavishly do you adhere to the idea of remaking something that's techniques and technology have dated so much? Do you include any goofs or noted bad acting? Its very much a no win scenario I think.

They kinda did luck out that the scene they showed was totally goof-free, but their acting was intentionally in-keeping with the sixties style, and they did recreate and play straight an old-fashioned and kinda lovely special effect. On one hand that's probably exactly the energy we'd hope for as people who'd like faithful recreations of lost episodes, and it was most likely SUPER cheap to do, but I also feel like that effect might've been what killed the whole 'shot-for-shot recreation' idea, and for good reason, it would've played very weirdly to viewers who don't get the idea. Deliberately lovely or outdated special effects in particular are really hard to sell when you're not treating it as a joke.

I think the version I'd want, and the version that would probably be the most 'right' were they to actually do it, would be to retain the intentional things that don't work well, but not the unintentional ones. A 'best case scenario with what they would've had' situation. Not only would keeping goofs be really hard, but we're also talking about lost episodes. They didn't have the chance to have well-known goofs or bad acting that's important to preserve, because nobody's seen them for decades.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Peter Purves did an entire scene without pants in episode 3 of the Savages, and there's no evidence!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status/1145595392114905089

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Cleretic posted:

They kinda did luck out that the scene they showed was totally goof-free, but their acting was intentionally in-keeping with the sixties style, and they did recreate and play straight an old-fashioned and kinda lovely special effect. On one hand that's probably exactly the energy we'd hope for as people who'd like faithful recreations of lost episodes, and it was most likely SUPER cheap to do, but I also feel like that effect might've been what killed the whole 'shot-for-shot recreation' idea, and for good reason, it would've played very weirdly to viewers who don't get the idea. Deliberately lovely or outdated special effects in particular are really hard to sell when you're not treating it as a joke.

I think the version I'd want, and the version that would probably be the most 'right' were they to actually do it, would be to retain the intentional things that don't work well, but not the unintentional ones. A 'best case scenario with what they would've had' situation. Not only would keeping goofs be really hard, but we're also talking about lost episodes. They didn't have the chance to have well-known goofs or bad acting that's important to preserve, because nobody's seen them for decades.

I guess another option would be to shoot it in a similar way to the original production. Instead of slavishly reproducing line flubs that happened in the original, film it essentially quasi-live with a single take per scene and any small flubs that happen get left in. It does all sound like a lot of time, money and effort for something that would only appeal to a small portion of the fanbase though.