Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Dell_Zincht posted:

They're arguably the most powerful in the game?

"The game" meaning "Disc 1"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the most powerful limit break in the game is highwind + all 7 fever anyway

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Luceo posted:

"The game" meaning "Disc 1"

Congratulations on spoiling the game for Oxyclean, you MONSTER.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Dell_Zincht posted:

Congratulations on spoiling the game for Oxyclean, you MONSTER.

What? All I said was that the other limit breaks are more powerful past disc 1. :v:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
What's a disc 1?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

a miserable pile of gameplay

now have some fmvs!!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Playing through FF7 and this dog is cool.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

If you never want to die in battle in FF7 you can just put everyone in the back row and give them the sadness status effect

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

cock hero flux posted:

Tactics is very good and if you were a fan of the job system in 3/5 it has a similar one. 15 plays "similarly to Kingdom Hearts" yes, but it's more along the lines of "what if the kingdom hearts battle system was really bad and the camera liked to go off on its own adventures through the world geometry". I wouldn't really recommend it.

13 is bad but can be a very fun kind of bad if you're a particular kind of person. The battle systems are good in all of them. There's no exploration and the game is a series of hallways with battles and cutscenes in them. The story basically boils down to whether you're the kind of person who can enjoy a story that makes no sense and is really loving dumb in a way that is kind of unique.

also, you can always go back and play FF1. It's still fun and the rereleases all adopt systems from the later FFs that make it less weird(although it's also fun to go check out the first version which had a DnD style magic system).

This is all great info, I think I'll look into 5 and 1. thanks everyone!

Booourns posted:

If you never want to die in battle in FF7 you can just put everyone in the back row and give them the sadness status effect

Or if you want to be a true warrior give everyone fury and put them in the front row so every other attack either kills you or gives you a limit break

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 25, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Inflicting intentional depression upon virtual people feels like the perfect summation of something, but what that is exactly is eluding me at the moment. Trust me, I, Gologle, will make sure to bring it up completely out of nowhere with no context during another of your dumb FF13 arguments that never go anywhere once I can put my finger on it.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Gologle posted:

Inflicting intentional depression upon virtual people feels like the perfect summation of something, but what that is exactly is eluding me at the moment. Trust me, I, Gologle, will make sure to bring it up completely out of nowhere with no context during another of your dumb FF13 arguments that never go anywhere once I can put my finger on it.

This is the final fantasy thread, the sims thread is over there.

Still waiting on the final fantasy sims xpac though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Or if you want to be a true warrior give everyone fury and put them in the front row so every other attack either kills you or gives you a limit break

Fury doesn't increase damage taken, it reduces your hit rate percentage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lobster22221 posted:

Still waiting on the final fantasy sims xpac though.

Unfortunately we only got the other way around

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unfortunately we only got the other way around

Was my life of a king any good?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lobster22221 posted:

Was my life of a king any good?

Oh I was making a joke about the Llama super hero costumes for the Origin version of Comrades

I liked it! I mean it was kinda short and a bit shallow maybe but it was fun

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I liked my life as a king. I didn't want to play it a second time because about halfway through I realized that it was actually impossible for me to lose, or even have any kind of significant setback, so it was basically cookie clicker, but the concept was cool and the presentation was fun

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
So it was a cute game good for a play or two? Sounds alright to me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I was sad to learn that my life as a king and my life as a dark lord are now impossible to acquire legally. I wanted to play darklord.

Maybe after the crystal chronicles reboot square will look into rereleasing these games/making new games that are conceptually similar, since both those games are in the CC-setting

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Vincent should have inherent sadness.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

seiferguy posted:

Enemy skill matra music is an incredibly effective way to kill enemies early on in 7. It's the best way to get Aeris the kills she needs to upgrade her limit break.

I also found matra magic to be a huge help against Bottomswell(?) the Lower Junon boss you fight to rescue Priscilla.

Since the bubble attack that immobilizes a party member is magic vulnerable, you can hit any bubbles and the boss at the same time.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you enjoyed the job system games, you might like 4 Heroes of Light (though this one has some issues), Bravely Default, and Bravely Second.

This might seem dumb on my part but I'd even suggest skipping Default and jumping right into Second. I badly wanted to like the first game, but it's really clunky in a lot of respects (job levels having a major impact on your stats, no tent equivalents, weird difficulty spikes) and the second game largely irons out a lot of the flaws in that respect. This is all before any of the late game repetition as well.

Admittedly, the story is arguably worse in Bravely Second (though Default is not all that amazing either) and some of the side plot stuff can really drag on longer than it has to, but despite that it really struck me as a much tighter and more enjoyable experience. Being able to experiment with new jobs with nearly no penalty was pretty great.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just got a GPD XD to play Steam games from bed/on the couch and I've never played FF13. Is it really that bad or is it worth playing? Alternatively, should I just get FF9 on Steam and mod it to be pretty and replay that, seeing as I've never replayed it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Question:

I recently bought FF7 and 9 on the switch, and have enjoyed the heck out of replaying them, and have got the itch to play some more Final Fantasy, but don't know where to begin.

I've played:

The Super Nintendo Final Fantasies. Enjoyed both of them a lot.

FF3 Remake on the DS. Enjoyed till the end, when my team of all Vikings kept dying. Came back 6 months later, switched everyone to Ninjas, finally won. Enjoyed the job system

All the mainline Playstation FFs. Loved 7, was overall bored 8 though I thought it had some neat ideas, 9 is my favorite in the series.

Played through 10. Had an alright time, but had no desire to replay it or try the sequel.

Skilled out on 11 because I don't like MMOs, tried a bit of 12 but couldn't get into it. I've lost track of the series since then.

Based on that, any Goons got any recommendations one any FF (or FF like, I really enjoyed Octopath Traveller for example) to pick up. I've heard 15 plays similarly to Kingdom Hearts, which I also enjoyed.

play Romancing SaGa 2, dude!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
My Life as a King was tons of fun but got really grindy at the end so I never finished it. Neither did my wife.

In FFTA2 news I unlocked green mage and dragoon and did a couple clan trials. I forgot how easy some of those are and how brutal others are. Changing jobs and gear and mastering abilities is cool and fun and unlocking stuff in the bazaar is also cool and fun and learning abilities like crazy to get access to other jobs is do addictive.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Question:

I recently bought FF7 and 9 on the switch, and have enjoyed the heck out of replaying them, and have got the itch to play some more Final Fantasy, but don't know where to begin.

I've played:

The Super Nintendo Final Fantasies. Enjoyed both of them a lot.

FF3 Remake on the DS. Enjoyed till the end, when my team of all Vikings kept dying. Came back 6 months later, switched everyone to Ninjas, finally won. Enjoyed the job system

All the mainline Playstation FFs. Loved 7, was overall bored 8 though I thought it had some neat ideas, 9 is my favorite in the series.

Played through 10. Had an alright time, but had no desire to replay it or try the sequel.

Skilled out on 11 because I don't like MMOs, tried a bit of 12 but couldn't get into it. I've lost track of the series since then.

Based on that, any Goons got any recommendations one any FF (or FF like, I really enjoyed Octopath Traveller for example) to pick up. I've heard 15 plays similarly to Kingdom Hearts, which I also enjoyed.

Highly recommend 5 if you like job systems and super Nintendo FF, there's lots of weird multiclassing stuff to play around with and tons of replay value.

11 is a much different game than it used to be and you could reasonably play it as a single player game since you get NPC party members to help you out these days. Doing the basic storyline from the original game probably wouldn't take long and the game has an interesting job system in its own right- I'd wager it might actually feel like a single player game but if you didn't dig 12 it's probably not your speed

1 is a short playthrough if you go gba/psp version and gives you a basic job system to play around in. It's cool to see how the series started but the gba/PSP version smoothes out a lot of things most players wouldn't care for in the NES version

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think my trip through the series has been something really weird like

FFTA -> FF1 (GBA) -> FF3 (DS) -> Revenent Wings? I think? (I swear I had some weird spin off game on DS) -> FFXIV -> FFVII

I had FFTA2, lent it to a friend, swear I got it back, but misplaced it or something so I never got play much of it. I'm still sort upset that.

I tried FF3/6 like once or twice and I know everyone swears by it and I want to see it through at some point, I've just been really bad with sticking with it. I also want to find time for 5 at some point since I really liked the job stuff in 3.

Something I like about FF1 is the story/characters are so thin it doesn't feel weird renaming them after friends. :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Whalley posted:

I just got a GPD XD to play Steam games from bed/on the couch and I've never played FF13. Is it really that bad or is it worth playing? Alternatively, should I just get FF9 on Steam and mod it to be pretty and replay that, seeing as I've never replayed it?

FFXIII has a great battle system as long as you learn the lessons the game tries to teach you. there are no real towns/NPC conversations of consequence, so if that kind of world building is a sticking point, you may want to pass.

FF9 is great and doesn't really need a graphics mod, but do it if you want to

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Whalley posted:

I think FF13 is garbage, but you should give it a go and see if you enjoy it. Some people really like it. I mean, it has to be dirt cheap by now anyway.

Oh, and keep in mind it has a very slow start with regards to the mechanics.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

I think FF13 is garbage, but you should give it a go and see if you enjoy it. Some people really like it. I mean, it has to be dirt cheap by now anyway.
It's cheaper than FF9 on Steam for some reason!

There's apparently a Steam sale happening today, I'll wait it out and see if there's any cheap Final Fantasies, I kinda feel like I should at least try 13

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
"for some reason"

:thunk:

13 is fine, I think the battle system is pretty cool and the music is great

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Oxyclean posted:

Something I like about FF1 is the story/characters are so thin it doesn't feel weird renaming them after friends. :v:

I would really dig a return to this style in a side series (maybe there is one and I just don't pay attention?) since I haven't found any of the FF stories or characters terribly appealing in probably 20 years

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Oxyclean posted:

Except if he's a black mage and he keeps getting one-shotted by wizards at the end of the marsh cave DAMMIT STVN

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MMF Freeway posted:

"for some reason"

:thunk:

13 is fine, I think the battle system is pretty cool and the music is great
One of the worst parts of 13, unironically, is that the good part of the random encounter theme doesn't cut in until 58 seconds in, when you should be finishing the fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfu0XBf8kmk

Lightning Returns fixed this by frontloading it to the actual first notes of the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoeVm5fZuQ

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

god Blinded By Light is so drat good

That song alone carried my immense hype through the game's ridiculous dev cycle, only for those hopes to be dashed upon wasted potential

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey play Final Fantasy XIV you fuckers!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fNgziN2gCk

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Eh the price is a bit steep for an online mahjong platform

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gologle posted:

Hey play Final Fantasy XIV you fuckers!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fNgziN2gCk

never

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DACK FAYDEN posted:

One of the worst parts of 13, unironically, is that the good part of the random encounter theme doesn't cut in until 58 seconds in, when you should be finishing the fight:

Some of us need our musical foreplay

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Elephant Ambush posted:

My Life as a King was tons of fun but got really grindy at the end so I never finished it. Neither did my wife.

In FFTA2 news I unlocked green mage and dragoon and did a couple clan trials. I forgot how easy some of those are and how brutal others are. Changing jobs and gear and mastering abilities is cool and fun and unlocking stuff in the bazaar is also cool and fun and learning abilities like crazy to get access to other jobs is do addictive.

The clan trials to get AP up 2 and 3 are Negotiation - Teamwork. Specifically Lectors and Advocates. They’re extremely easy to beat and AP up 3 gets you 90 per battle as opposed to 30.

Tres necessary if you ask me.

(Weirdly enough I started another play through of A2 a few weeks ago. What a fun one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if anyone wants it, here's a code for a Black Fat Chocobo mount for FFXIV (I got it for free when I bought a DS4 but I'm never going to play it again):

FAED ZCMU 9ZVJ 3VU3 GMZQ