Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I’m lol’in

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1143426734651564033?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Lmao hahahahhaha

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh no Rouhani no

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Rouhani gonna catch a sixer!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah finally an excuse to invade & depose

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I was going to post that

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8kgtkx.mp4

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

how they ever tricked Brian Cox into being in this movie, I will never know

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

how they ever tricked Brian Cox into being in this movie, I will never know

it was worth everything, dude was perfect

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I doubled in computer engineering and electrical engineering. One of my biggest takeaways from that experience was the realization that we still only barely understand how half the poo poo we do works and we're much closer to the 50s era "radiation, whats up with that?" level of fiddling with things then the masters of our universe the digital era makes it feel like.

Also it felt like as hard as it was scraping by with a ~B average I barely scraped the surface of most things I had to learn, and half of that I basically learned to the test because it was the only way to get through.

I don't know how the gently caress anyone gets out of engineering school and thinks they know everything. I got out thinking "it's only going to be a matter of time before someone realizes I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing" and the anxiety from that feeling only faded with the realization no one did.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

When you gotta go, you gotta go

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Jarmak posted:

I doubled in computer engineering and electrical engineering. One of my biggest takeaways from that experience was the realization that we still only barely understand how half the poo poo we do works and we're much closer to the 50s era "radiation, whats up with that?" level of fiddling with things then the masters of our universe the digital era makes it feel like.

Also it felt like as hard as it was scraping by with a ~B average I barely scraped the surface of most things I had to learn, and half of that I basically learned to the test because it was the only way to get through.

I don't know how the gently caress anyone gets out of engineering school and thinks they know everything. I got out thinking "it's only going to be a matter of time before someone realizes I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing" and the anxiety from that feeling only faded with the realization no one did.

Imposter syndrome, my dude.

All those other folks convinced they know everything? Dunning Krueger.

Human brains are so stupid.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Accounting was similar.

I still have no idea what I’m doing.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jarmak posted:

Pretty easy test of if a person is worth working with, if they're "I've been taught these tools for learning more stuff, oh my god, I can't even figure out how this spoon is made now, is spoonologist someone's job?! Why is it even that shape! Lets work it out!", they'll be good people. If they're "I've got these magic books that tell me everything, suck it everyone that hasn't", they will not be good people.

I think this pretty much goes for every field.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This probably would have been me, but I dropped out for 6 years, reentered into the same major, graduated with a decent GPA, and have had a nice run where I just keep my mouth shut and feed my boss what he needs while ignoring the other various fun types of engineers mentioned in this thread. (also Civil, YMMV)

Pretty much the same story for me (also a civil). It seems like most civil engineers I’ve known are pretty laid back and trend towards the outdoorsy type. Civil also has the reputation for being the “easy” engineering major, and many parts of it deal with being outside, so it tends to attract a different type of person.

Also, we’re not dealing with cutting edge technology or breaking new ground. I spent a day or two last week searching through 80 year old roadway plans looking for information to use.

Now, all the other majors I was around at my first run through a purely engineering school pre-mil? Different story...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

"So Congressman, why are you seeking a divorce?"

"BITCH SET ME UP"

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1139221532121731072?s=19

This post from a while back makes a fuckload more sense now.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1143538810359287808?s=19

They've been married since 1998. He's also a Reservist Marine Major.

https://twitter.com/harrysiegel/status/1143545485543780352?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 25, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Marrying your fall-guy/gal seems like a great career move, tbh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

colachute posted:

Accounting was similar.

I’m winging it all day every day. I just have slightly more of a clue about my field than everyone else I work with.

Engineers can’t deal with uncertainty, it’s amazing. You wanna blow an engineer’s mind? Present them with a complex plan, complete with diagrams, then tell them it’ll only work if the weather is nice.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1143488393067847681?s=20

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The idea that we're just in the edge of being able to engineer our way out of every problem needs to die.

facialimpediment posted:

This post from a while back makes a fuckload more sense now.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1143538810359287808?s=19

They've been married since 1998. He's also a Reservist Marine Major.

https://twitter.com/harrysiegel/status/1143545485543780352?s=19
Also admitted taking pictures of dead combatants while defending Ed Gallagher. Hunter is disgusting.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 25, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Syrian Lannister posted:

The importance of proper bud trimming

3/16" gapped tumbler for dry bud, 1/4" tumbler for wet harvest.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I’m winging it all day every day. I just have slightly more of a clue about my field than everyone else I work with.

Engineers can’t deal with uncertainty, it’s amazing. You wanna blow an engineer’s mind? Present them with a complex plan, complete with diagrams, then tell them it’ll only work if the weather is nice.

Eh, electrical engineering is heavily stochastic. Even something as simple as conducting electricity on a copper wire is really a series of random events repeated so many times so quickly that uneven probabilities appear deterministic to casual observation (and I guess effectively are). That's not even getting into really crazy poo poo like quantum tunneling.

Honestly chemistry really is as a whole so I'm not sure what discipline would have engineers that behave like that other then bad engineers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Eh, electrical engineering is heavily stochastic. Even something as simple as conducting electricity on a copper wire is really a series of random events repeated so many times so quickly that uneven probabilities appear deterministic to casual observation (and I guess effectively are). That's not even getting into really crazy poo poo like quantum tunneling.

Honestly chemistry really is as a whole so I'm not sure what discipline would have engineers that behave like that other then bad engineers.

Heat is the same way. That leaves civil I guess?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's so much stuff out there that our answer to is, "poo poo, I dunno. It just does." If you want to open up a real cluster gently caress can of worms try to figure out how gravity works.

Have fun with that.

Edit: Going further with the stochastic stuff, our own biology runs on the same situation. When researchers started looking at individual mitochondria to figure out how/what/when/why we get metabolic power out of them to survive off of they just ended up saying, "poo poo, I dunno. Just does. Get enough of them and here's the average output"

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 25, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

What a loving dork.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hexyflexy posted:

If they're "I've got these magic books that tell me everything, suck it everyone that hasn't", they will not be good people.

A term for that that always stuck with me is "a man (because they're usually men) educated beyond his intelligence."

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

And then tell them that one of the floor techs came up with it.

hobbesmaster posted:

Heat is the same way. That leaves civil I guess?

Fluid is much the same.

bird food bathtub posted:

Edit: Going further with the stochastic stuff, our own biology runs on the same situation. When researchers started looking at individual mitochondria to figure out how/what/when/why we get metabolic power out of them to survive off of they just ended up saying, "poo poo, I dunno. Just does. Get enough of them and here's the average output"

Oh God we just touched doctors. A wormhole of self-confidence has just opened up that may consume the entire universe.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 25, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Illinois weed status: legal

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Panic at the Disco(very)

https://twitter.com/amarimow/status/1143563738274045958?s=19

Spoiler alert: they did and the district court is gonna say so

https://twitter.com/scotusreporter/status/1143576867703787526?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Elizabeth Warren wants to change federal voting

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/po...Zo3K/story.html

quote:

"Senator Elizabeth Warren is calling for major changes to the way millions of Americans cast ballots in a proposal released on Tuesday, declaring the patchwork system of election administration run by the states a “national security threat” in the wake of attempted Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

Warren wants Congress to standardize elections for federal office, with uniformly designed ballots and brand new voting machines in every polling place nationwide, combined with a “Fort Knox”-like security system to prevent tampering. The system would be run by a new federal Secure Democracy Administration.

“This is a national security threat, and three years after a hostile foreign power literally attacked our democracy, we’ve done far too little to address it,” Warren wrote in a post on the Medium website announcing the plan. It is the latest in a series of detailed proposals released as she campaigns for the Democratic presidential nomination and prepares for the first debate on Wednesday night.

Voters would see dramatic changes in how and when they can register to vote and cast ballots. Automatic and same-day voter registration would be mandated nationwide, and Warren’s proposal would make it more difficult to purge voters from the rolls. Election Day would become a federal holiday with expanded polling hours, and voters could cast ballots a minimum of 15 days before an election.

Seeking to counter voter suppression tactics, Warren called for Congress to pass two voting rights bills that would make it easier for vulnerable populations to vote and require certain municipalities to pre-clear changes to election requirements with the Department of Justice.

Taken together, the proposals from the Massachusetts senator represent a historic shift in the administration of elections in the United States, which are run by state and local governments. Warren argued the 2016 presidential election exposed a glaring need for standardization, citing reports that the Russian government engaged in hacking attempts targeting state election systems and personnel, and even accessed voter registration records.

“We have 8,000 election jurisdictions running elections. Problems with resources, malfeasance, and errors are rampant. No more,” Warren wrote.

She maintains that the Constitution already allows Congress to regulate federal elections and argued in the Medium post that “it’s time to draw on these constitutional powers to strengthen our democracy.”

Under her plan, states and municipalities would remain free to set their own rules for statewide and local races, but those that decline to adopt federal standards for those races would miss out on funding. Warren also said she’d authorize her Secure Democracy Administration to seek court orders to force states to comply with standards for federal elections if they refuse to do so.

“The right to vote is a fundamental right, and we will not let racist and corrupt politicians undermine it or our democracy,” she wrote."

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Somewhere, Mitch McConnell just started incontrollably shaking with rage.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Jarmak posted:

We pray to the Machine Gods
All hail the Omnissiah
All hail Deus ex Mechanicus

If it doesn't, tag it and ignore it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

colachute posted:

On January 1, 2020.

Can't tempt me back to that corn filled hellhole. Also you can't grow your own, according to that law. They were going to allow 5/5 but the cunts cut it because of black market concerns. Understandable, but maybe make it available with legwork. Like going and paying for a permit at the county clerks office. They're gonna have to stand up a regulatory body, or add it to another department. Just give a deputy/schmuck in the rural county sheriff's offices a truck, a log of past-due renewals, and have him write tickets to all the homegrows he can't find proof of approval to grow. Something like $100/year and I'm sure plenty of people will be happy to pay it.

I can grow 6/6 here just because Colorado rules. Looking at doing that this fall anyhow.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 25, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The black market for weed is dying in Florida thanks to medical cannabis. Some sellers are doing ok, but I know a lot that are in perpetual dry cycles.

Dispensary green beats black market 9 times out of 10 anyways.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

colachute posted:

Accounting was similar.

Same but I work in a field where roughly 60% can be made up.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I'm a mechanical, and I've always been of the "you only need as accurate a model as the granularity of the problem you're trying to solve" opinion. No, we still can't say exactly how a bunch of stuff works. But 99.99% of the time, "on average it works in this predictable manner" is more than good enough. That's the difference between engineering and science, IMO.

Though you DO need to know in what situations the averages don't work so you don't try to design based off them for conditions where they don't apply.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

colachute posted:

East St. Louis revitalization program looking good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This page is Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Catholic highschool in Indianapolis celebrates pride month by firing a gay teacher who got married. The archdiocese threatened to revoke their Catholicness if they didn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...m=.44adc6970e19