Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A game can present an entirely different ROM to the different systems (GB, SGB, GBC). It can swap in additional features in the same ROM when it detects a higher level system (so a GB game that has partial GBC support can provide just a custom palette for instance, or change significantly, certain GBC games read data from the GBA to determine it's a GBA and change their palettes or reveal extra content but still just run GBC code). A game can have seperate executable blocks for the different systems but share the bulk data without wasting cartridge space on replicating it.

And of course, SGB-aware games can have an entire separate ROM of full on SNES game program if they wish, which naturally the GB/GBC/GBA can't run or touch.

Another thing to point out is most GBC-only games contain a small program that displays if you put them in an original Game Boy and prevent the cart lock from hitting it by trimming it or something, or simply placing the cart in a Game Boy Pocket or SGB where theres no blocking rod. It usually just pops up a screen saying "SORRY THIS REQUIRES GAME BOY COLOR" or whatev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't checked but I believe that's exactly why it works that way. There aren't many GB/C games like that but there are a few, the Conker game's a really obvious one as the game layouts are substantially different between versions, the color version's practically a remake rather than a conversion.

Right, I've seen screens from that of the same area looking way different in each version.

I always found it odd but while making that post I thought about the different SKUs on, say, PS3, where different releases (digital/GOTY/etc.) of the same game would have incompatible save files and occasionally different trophy lists. Never encountered any of the other GBC games that did that, so it was always puzzling.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fishmech posted:

Another thing to point out is most GBC-only games contain a small program that displays if you put them in an original Game Boy and prevent the cart lock from hitting it by trimming it or something, or simply placing the cart in a Game Boy Pocket or SGB where theres no blocking rod. It usually just pops up a screen saying "SORRY THIS REQUIRES GAME BOY COLOR" or whatev.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn/

I'm particularly fond of the inverted Madden one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Turbinosamente posted:

You did a waaay better job taking out the hinge than most do, it looks far more "natural". Usually I've seen people try to preserve the power/charge leds by just leaving the hinge bumps as is or connecting them with a rod and it irrationally bugs the poo poo out of me. Or they try to fill it in with too much bondo or some such. So good on you for for taking the time to make it look more than a broken DS.

For clarification, here's an image off of an eBay listing of what most Macros look like:

I actually like that plastic rod. Does it light up via the status lights or something?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Decided to get a Mega SD within 20 minutes of watching Smoke Monster's stream. Guess I just needed the slightest push.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am trying to load Dreamcast games onto my GDEMU. I found a collection of every Dreamcast game ever made, and they came in ZIP format, with each game having stuff like this:

I tried to load the .GDI file in that GDEMU SD helper program but it always gives an error trying to load it; my guess because it's a 2kb GDI. So then I downloaded GDI_Rebuild, and all the program is is a gigantic box that says DRAG AND DROP GDI HERE but when I try to drag a GDI to it, it always shows an X symbol, suggesting it will not accept the GDI file I am dragging. How do I put these rips on my GDEMU?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Decided to get a Mega SD within 20 minutes of watching Smoke Monster's stream. Guess I just needed the slightest push.

I can't wait to buy one but I want to hold off for some reviews because of that issue with launch Super SD System 3 (iirc it was like 4 revisions until they fixed the issue?)

The only slight bummer about the Mega SD is that you cannot have the Sega CD connected if you want to use it (something about the bus causing a conflict) because I want to keep my model 1 Sega CD in at all times. Either to play 32X CD games (which the Mega SD does not support) or just because I love the way it looks.

The only other issue is $300 USD for the 7 good Sega CD games is a tough pill to swallow.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I am trying to load Dreamcast games onto my GDEMU. I found a collection of every Dreamcast game ever made, and they came in ZIP format, with each game having stuff like this:

I tried to load the .GDI file in that GDEMU SD helper program but it always gives an error trying to load it; my guess because it's a 2kb GDI. So then I downloaded GDI_Rebuild, and all the program is is a gigantic box that says DRAG AND DROP GDI HERE but when I try to drag a GDI to it, it always shows an X symbol, suggesting it will not accept the GDI file I am dragging. How do I put these rips on my GDEMU?

I can't wait to buy one but I want to hold off for some reviews because of that issue with launch Super SD System 3 (iirc it was like 4 revisions until they fixed the issue?)

The only slight bummer about the Mega SD is that you cannot have the Sega CD connected if you want to use it (something about the bus causing a conflict) because I want to keep my model 1 Sega CD in at all times. Either to play 32X CD games (which the Mega SD does not support) or just because I love the way it looks.

The only other issue is $300 USD for the 7 good Sega CD games is a tough pill to swallow.

There’s already a couple reviews out now from preview units by RetroRGB and Modern Vintage Gamer, the latter of which just uploaded it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There’s already a couple reviews out now from preview units by RetroRGB and Modern Vintage Gamer, the latter of which just uploaded it.

I don't believe the people who reviewed the PC Engine one caught the issue at first either. IIRC it took a few months for that issue to be discovered.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 24, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I actually like that plastic rod. Does it light up via the status lights or something?

No, they usually just shove a random LED in the left side.

The rods look better when made of metal and color matched to the system or at least when they use a paint color that compliments the system

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No, they usually just shove a random LED in the left side.

The rods look better when made of metal and color matched to the system or at least when they use a paint color that compliments the system

oh OK. You also just made me think; what do the X and Y buttons do? I am guessing nothing?

I also figured I'd mention something else about GBA mode on a hacked DSi. The compatibility chart is horribly outdated. For example, it says in Super Mario Bros 2: Super Mario Advance 1 that you need to do all sorts of trickery to get the game to save. I downloaded the game from a random ROM site and GBA mode saved everything perfectly with no issue.

Another thing further proving my theory that GBA mode is not using emulation is the fact that when I close the lid on my DSiXL when running a GBA game, the system does absolutely nothing. The screens don't even turn off or even try to turn off.

It's kind of sad that the best way to experience GBA games on gigantic IPS screens also has no way to put an actual GBA cart into it. I'd just use the DSiXL permanently from now on except sometimes I want to play the GBA games on my TV with my Gamecube. You should have just had a GBA slot on the DSi, Nintendo! :argh:

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNhQ4ZWZPIw

Supposedly this game is a broken piece of trash but I love games with that look. Isometric, but where the buildings can rotate. Are there any good games out there that do this? The only one I can think of is Dragon Quest 5 for the DS.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 24, 2019

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

It's neat to look at, but when it comes time to try and store it somewhere while you aren't using it, it's a big pain. A big reason I like it with the hinge sheared off is because it's convenient to just store in a pocket or (in a case) in a bag or purse.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Supposedly this game is a broken piece of trash but I love games with that look. Isometric, but where the buildings can rotate. Are there any good games out there that do this? The only one I can think of is Dragon Quest 5 for the DS.

I watched the recent Game Sack featuring that game and thought it looked cool as well. Doesn't seem very playable, but I dig the look they were going for.

Sonic Battle on GBA has similar visuals, if you want another example.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, there's Willy Wombat for the Saturn, I guess, although I'm not sure if that's really good. I liked what I played of it, but I barely got a few stages in, it's entirely possible it wears out its welcome before long.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

kirbysuperstar posted:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn/

I'm particularly fond of the inverted Madden one.

Almost a decade earlier PC-Engine developers were doing the same thing with SuperCD (and the few ArcadeCD) games. If you had the briefcase PCE system setup without the Super System Card (or a Duo without the Arcade Card Duo), you'd get screens similar to those GB ones complaining about the incorrect system card. The Dracula X one is interactive and has music! I'm not sure if there's a collection of those anymore, since the place I used to go to see them (PC-Engine Catalog Project) has gone under.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ofecks posted:

Almost a decade earlier PC-Engine developers were doing the same thing with SuperCD (and the few ArcadeCD) games. If you had the briefcase PCE system setup without the Super System Card (or a Duo without the Arcade Card Duo), you'd get screens similar to those GB ones complaining about the incorrect system card. The Dracula X one is interactive and has music! I'm not sure if there's a collection of those anymore, since the place I used to go to see them (PC-Engine Catalog Project) has gone under.

It took a long time but fortunately VG Museum duplicated it. I love those things. :D

http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn2/

Another one I like is Art of Fighting lets you play little slot machine mini-game with some of the animations from the actual game after Yuri chastises you for being unable to rescue her with the wrong card.

You might want to look at the back up memory warning sections too since these often had different art than the system card warnings.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I had never seen the endings to F-Zero GX because it was way too hard for me to finish.

I don't know if I believe these are real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZJBIhlB7k

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

That is some Cool 3D World poo poo right there.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Neo Rasa posted:

It took a long time but fortunately VG Museum duplicated it. I love those things. :D

http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn2/

Another one I like is Art of Fighting lets you play little slot machine mini-game with some of the animations from the actual game after Yuri chastises you for being unable to rescue her with the wrong card.

You might want to look at the back up memory warning sections too since these often had different art than the system card warnings.

Oh my god. Thank you for this news. Wish the site had a better layout, though. One pic per line break makes browsing through these difficult.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

That's possible. Honestly I bought it knowing about the tearing issue because the motion blur on the AGS101 screen bothers me so much (I'm not sane) that it's worth the $50 just for the chance that it will be better.

I wonder if the tearing is something that he can fix in future revisions. The guy speaks really poor English and didn't understand my inquiry about that when I emailed him.

According to Wikipedia, the original Game Boy had a 59.7Hz refresh rate instead of the typical NTSC 59.94Hz. I wonder if that carried over to the GBA, and the new screens only run at 59.94, causing the tearing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pyrotek posted:

According to Wikipedia, the original Game Boy had a 59.7Hz refresh rate instead of the typical NTSC 59.94Hz. I wonder if that carried over to the GBA, and the new screens only run at 59.94, causing the tearing?

No, the displays used don't have a native refresh rate really, the refresh is fully driven by the hardware. If you tried to force them up to higher refresh rates like say 70 hz or something, that would cause the screen to not display correctly, but the native 59.7~ hz of the whole Game Boy line is within spec for them. It's not like attaching a full monitor or TV to an input, where there's hardware translating between the input and the display and actively changing frames around, you're directly signaling the LCD when to change.

That said, the Game Boy Player and Super Game Boy do have odd artifacts in their output because they're feeding tv screens that need the NTSC native refresh rate (or even worse, the versions for PAL regions which definitely gently caress with stuff. Depending on the precise TV or monitor you attach to a GameCube with the Game Boy Player though, you can force the screen to refresh at the precise Game Boy series refresh rate so that you don't get any dropped or doubled frames compared to what you'd see directly on the portable screens. But again: it doesn't work on most screens out there.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

fishmech posted:

The most notable of which being Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, which lets you access a very early version of Panel de Pon GB with a button combination https://tcrf.net/Pok%C3%A9mon_Puzzle_Challenge#Panel_de_Pon_GB

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

fishmech posted:

No, the displays used don't have a native refresh rate really, the refresh is fully driven by the hardware. If you tried to force them up to higher refresh rates like say 70 hz or something, that would cause the screen to not display correctly, but the native 59.7~ hz of the whole Game Boy line is within spec for them. It's not like attaching a full monitor or TV to an input, where there's hardware translating between the input and the display and actively changing frames around, you're directly signaling the LCD when to change.

That said, the Game Boy Player and Super Game Boy do have odd artifacts in their output because they're feeding tv screens that need the NTSC native refresh rate (or even worse, the versions for PAL regions which definitely gently caress with stuff. Depending on the precise TV or monitor you attach to a GameCube with the Game Boy Player though, you can force the screen to refresh at the precise Game Boy series refresh rate so that you don't get any dropped or doubled frames compared to what you'd see directly on the portable screens. But again: it doesn't work on most screens out there.

The display is advertised as "4 Pixels in 1" which I assume means it is 480x320 instead of the native 240x160. There has to be some sort of hardware doing the up-scaling, right? Whatever it is that they are using might not work perfectly with the 59.7Hz input.

I'm definitely not any sort of expert with this, so I could be totally off.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Illuminado posted:

I made one, it's pretty cool. If you have a DS Lite with broken hinges or want to pick one up, it's $15 vs the $80 for an AGS-101 screen not to mention a working GB Advance.

Seems like a much better proposition to me.

Gallery

How did you make this not look lovely?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
The teal helped.

Honestly, just taking your time, lots and lots of sanding. Like several hours of just sanding, and then again taking your time painting, which I've done before.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Chainclaw posted:

I had never seen the endings to F-Zero GX because it was way too hard for me to finish.

I unlocked all the pilot endings at one point and I still can't believe some of them are real.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just loaded my modded DSiXL with every GBA release ever, so if anyone here is on the fence about doing the mod solely for GBA stuff, let me know if you want me to test a specific game and I can give you a trip report. I just tried the FFVI romhack with the fixed colors and better music and it ran fine (recall that this is the last release ever made for the GBA) so I am pretty confident in this GBA hypervisor hack thing.

Also somewhat related, a new WiiU update was released last night :lol:

Edit: these color restoration hacks are a godsend

I always thought Donkey Kong Country on the GBA looked terrible because it was using a smaller number of colors or something but nope, it was just the lovely bright palette

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 25, 2019

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Oh ffs.

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/1143145155622572032

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sweet. I don't have a GBA overdrive yet, and I will gladly wait on this one.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

God I love Krikzz

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Can I get one with a solar sensor?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
It’s cool that Everdrives have such high resell value. Makes it easy to upgrade.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
A new, flush GBA Everdrive is wonderful news, but I've been playing both systems a lot again recently and I can't help but be more excited about the DSi developments. The DSi XL screens and buttons are just too good.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Milkman posted:

A new, flush GBA Everdrive is wonderful news, but I've been playing both systems a lot again recently and I can't help but be more excited about the DSi developments. The DSi XL screens and buttons are just too good.

Yeah they really are incredible, and don't forget the insanely loud speakers

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

the goat

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

yesssssssssssssssss

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I'm not in the market for one, but I fully expect Krikzz to surprise us with a flush fit DSLite slot2 version in a few years at this point. The man is a machine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I just loaded my modded DSiXL with every GBA release ever, so if anyone here is on the fence about doing the mod solely for GBA stuff, let me know if you want me to test a specific game and I can give you a trip report. I just tried the FFVI romhack with the fixed colors and better music and it ran fine (recall that this is the last release ever made for the GBA) so I am pretty confident in this GBA hypervisor hack thing.

Also somewhat related, a new WiiU update was released last night :lol:

Edit: these color restoration hacks are a godsend

I always thought Donkey Kong Country on the GBA looked terrible because it was using a smaller number of colors or something but nope, it was just the lovely bright palette

How about testing out the following;

Super Robot Wars J
Astro Boy Omega Factor
Zoids Legacy
Godzilla Domination
Both Advance Wars games
Castlevania: Circle of The Moon
All Final Fantasy games on the system
All Yugioh games on the system
Gunstar Superheroes
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 25, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

drrockso20 posted:

Super Robot Wars J

Still my favourite SRW, hell yeah

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

god what a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zas posted:

god what a game

12m30s video games are art