Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Well, you can select multiple clips in Session view, left click to grab, press Tab to switch to Arrangement view, and drop them there. Is that what you mean?

I think that might work, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I think that might work, thanks!

<Narrator> ...it did.

:D

You can also use copy / paste in both directions - copy clip(s) from either, hit tab, select the target location (either playback cursor or clip), and paste. Note that in modern versions of Live this (finally) includes automation, unless you copy only the chunk of audio or MIDI notes and paste them into the appropriate target region.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
10.1 Release Notes

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Some nice stuff here!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Maybe this is a question better suited for the Home Recording Megathread (or VST Thread) but I'm gonna ask it here first:

What are some reason my stereo meters might be behaving oddly?

On my master track in Ableton I have a suite of metering plugins (Flux STTool phase vectorscope, Voxengo SPAN, and iZoTope InSight which has a phase meter as well). I've noticed that in my template set, and in a few of my original works that never get finished, STTool seems oddly mono (though not completely) and InSight's Stereo Field... should not look like a diagonal straight line. The mix definitely has some wide information and panning going on. STTool reflects some of the panning but mostly looks like that amorphous mostly-mono blob, but InSight is just a straight line all the way through.

Oddly this is not the case for the template set I use to record and master my DJ mixes - both meters seem to perform as they should. Is there some setting I've missed in one of the plugins that's causing this? Attached is a photo of what I mean for reference:

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I assume you've tried deleting the plugins from the project and loading them back up? Try turning them off and rendering your song to a .wav and import the wav back into the project and solo it to see what the meters do to a render. Then try that .wav in a new empty project with those meters and see if it's any different. There's no way insight is reading your audio correctly, it would never look like that unless you had a plugin before it that was summing the whole thing to mono and then panning it left.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Just kinda realized the power of switching between scene and arrangement view. I'd only ever dragged things one direction or the other before, but it's really slick being able to throw together a scene, tweak it in arrangement view and then re-consolidate to a scene.

Makes it easy to go from 'this loop sounds good' to 'this scene is a full verse'. Anyway, thanks thread for teaching me that.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Just kinda realized the power of switching between scene and arrangement view. I'd only ever dragged things one direction or the other before, but it's really slick being able to throw together a scene, tweak it in arrangement view and then re-consolidate to a scene.

Makes it easy to go from 'this loop sounds good' to 'this scene is a full verse'. Anyway, thanks thread for teaching me that.

I feel like a huge idiot for not knowing how to do this in Ableton despite using it for years. I start my beats in Session View to put together a 4-8 bar loop. But when I want to move it to arrangement view to start building it out, I have been just copy/pasting each track from the Session the Arrangement view which is tedious.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Do you guys have a recommended resource to look at session mode push workflows for composition? I only use arrangement view and would like to try and see if the session workflow works better for me.

Also do you guys think it's worth the hassle/cpu to use something like Battery 4 instead of the built in drum racks?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The one thing that drives me nuts about dragging from scenes to arrangements is that smaller clips are not looped. Say I have a scene consisting of an 8 bar loop and a 1 bar loop. If I drag that scene to arrangement, I end up with the 8bar loop + 1 clip of the single bar loop that stops. What I want to happen is for the 1 bar clip in arrangement to loop 8 times so as to line up with the largest loop in the scene.

This is an extremely minor issue most of the time, but if I've created 5 or 6 scenes- I often like to build the bones of the track in session before moving to arrangement- then copying them over becomes a pain. Especially if you try to copy multiple scenes at once- since each channel's clips will be placed back-to-back rather than lined up with their respective scenes.

That being said, reconsolidating your arrangement into 8-bar clips for session view is super useful if you want to play your tracks live.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Simone Poodoin posted:

Do you guys have a recommended resource to look at session mode push workflows for composition? I only use arrangement view and would like to try and see if the session workflow works better for me.

Also do you guys think it's worth the hassle/cpu to use something like Battery 4 instead of the built in drum racks?

Ableton Drum Racks are one of my favorite features. They are incredible flexible and I feel like they are easy to use, especially if you set up templates.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Simone Poodoin posted:

I've got a Drum Rack template that's programmed to a custom Battery 3 kit (yeah I never upgraded to 4, I love 3 too much). It has the 16 drum pads in Drum Rack triggering 16 pads in Battery that have their own output paths so you can treat it like a submixer, and the Battery 3 template has extra rows that are tied to the first four cells, which makes layering kick and snare samples pretty simple. If you want it I can throw it up on a Drive link. I think I built one for Superior Drummer 2 as well, but actually I think that one was just a group of tracks, since the MIDI routing from Drum Rack wouldn't jive with SD2, IIRC.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I've got a Drum Rack template that's programmed to a custom Battery 3 kit (yeah I never upgraded to 4, I love 3 too much). It has the 16 drum pads in Drum Rack triggering 16 pads in Battery that have their own output paths so you can treat it like a submixer, and the Battery 3 template has extra rows that are tied to the first four cells, which makes layering kick and snare samples pretty simple. If you want it I can throw it up on a Drive link. I think I built one for Superior Drummer 2 as well, but actually I think that one was just a group of tracks, since the MIDI routing from Drum Rack wouldn't jive with SD2, IIRC.

Cool, I would like to see how that works when you have a chance to share it, maybe I can adapt it to work with Addictive Drums as well

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Here you go, chum. Tell me what you think.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zaMe8nDpvZ2zeYDk6PPXb5JFUo1ux1Ef

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Why wouldn't I use simpler for all my drums? Does drum rack give me anything besides less tracks?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Thanks, will try it later and let you know how it goes

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah that drum rack is great, I modified it a bit to include the full general midi standard mapping and tested it with Battery 4, Addictive Drums and a Kontakt drum kit (Drummica). Works perfectly with anything that supports GM and will work with custom mapped Battery kits. will also work to trigger other drum racks.

Thanks again, here's the modified version if it's useful for anyone https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kmHyQEYQuAQXeX5TFqTwAlu9g97hLfWx/view

Other benefits is that it shows the kit part name in the piano roll and the color coding shows in Push, this is definitely something that I'm adding to my default set.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 26, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Why wouldn't I use simpler for all my drums? Does drum rack give me anything besides less tracks?

I use a Simpler on every pad in Drum Rack so I can load a full drum kit of samples and jam out on my Push2 but also tweak them individually. Drum Rack also lets you set up choke groups, which is great for giving the drums a more human feel.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure if you drag an audio sample to a pad in Drum Rack, it automatically loads that sample into a Simpler.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

A Drum Rack is great for Russian doll style setups where you have multiple Samplers/Simplers on one pad. Combine this with a Velocity plugin giving out a random value and you can do some fairly wild stuff. Have a look at any of Ned Rush's videos on Drum Racks. He uses it with loops but you can use the same techniques for single hits.

MrSargent posted:

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure if you drag an audio sample to a pad in Drum Rack, it automatically loads that sample into a Simpler.

You can set whether it uses a Sampler of Simpler in your User Library, as well as what settings they'll have.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I tend to use drum rack when I'm writing more since I find it easier to edit a single midi clip to have all my drums and stuff in it rather than having to switch from track to track. Then when I'm done that part and more into mixing I'll use Extract Chain to turn each drum pad into its own track.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Are the old core Drum Racks from pre-Ableton 10 stored anywhere? The default macro mappings for the Core Kits used to be much better- focusing on sample edits like attack, decay, tone, pitch and whatnot. I don't really care about glue compressors and effects when I'm first sketching out the track, and I can't imagine what motivated this change other than advertising 10s new features.

I managed to recover most from old project files I had used them in, but often these are edited/modified so I'm still missing a few.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
What's the quickest way to route individual cells from a Drum Rack to their own audio channel to sidechain, etc?

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What's the quickest way to route individual cells from a Drum Rack to their own audio channel to sidechain, etc?

When you sidechain there is a dropdown menu where you can select individual cells. If you want to sidechain from multiple cells you can group them within the drum rack.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

PoizenJam posted:

Are the old core Drum Racks from pre-Ableton 10 stored anywhere? The default macro mappings for the Core Kits used to be much better- focusing on sample edits like attack, decay, tone, pitch and whatnot. I don't really care about glue compressors and effects when I'm first sketching out the track, and I can't imagine what motivated this change other than advertising 10s new features.

I managed to recover most from old project files I had used them in, but often these are edited/modified so I'm still missing a few.

God, this cost me so much time when upgrading. Drum Bus/Glue is great but I relied heavily on the old mappings.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Modrasone posted:

When you sidechain there is a dropdown menu where you can select individual cells. If you want to sidechain from multiple cells you can group them within the drum rack.

Cool! Thanks!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

dj bobby bieber posted:

God, this cost me so much time when upgrading. Drum Bus/Glue is great but I relied heavily on the old mappings.

Agreed.

So much so that I reinstalled Ableton 9 Suite on another computer just to get 'em.

And then I saved them all in a project, packed them in a rar file, and put them up for everyone. Here you are goons:

Ableton 9 Classic Core Kits

Contains the saved presets as well as a project file with all samples.

I hope this doesn't count as :filez:- but if it does please delete.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
The guy I’m learning from swears by session mode, but most of the YouTube teachers whose tutorials I watch seem to use arrangement view. Maybe it’s because they do glitch or dubstep where injecting wacky accents is key.

How do you guys feel about it? Session view is pretty powerful if you’re just massaging blobs of the song around early on if you’re not sure about the structure you want to follow, but I wonder if I’d be better off going straight to arrangement. I tried both in the past, but I’m still unsure what works best. Seems like the answer is depends

W424
Oct 21, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

The guy I’m learning from swears by session mode, but most of the YouTube teachers whose tutorials I watch seem to use arrangement view. Maybe it’s because they do glitch or dubstep where injecting wacky accents is key.

How do you guys feel about it? Session view is pretty powerful if you’re just massaging blobs of the song around early on if you’re not sure about the structure you want to follow, but I wonder if I’d be better off going straight to arrangement. I tried both in the past, but I’m still unsure what works best. Seems like the answer is depends

I’m 100% arrangment, tried session a few times with push but I’m too used to linear sequencing.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

I use Session, but almost as a pseudo-arrangement view. I have the scenes in the order i think the track is going to be, but I often stumble across much more interesting song structures by skipping around the different scenes in ways I might not have thought of if I was doing everything linearly in Arrangement view. Once I've decided on an overall structure I'll record that into Arrangement view and then work on transitions.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm similar to Modrasone in this.

I use session view to sketch out the general 'sections' of the track. Sometimes, with minimal techno, this might just involve the primary 8 bar loop I expect to use at the peak of the track. Sometimes it involves more substantial planning, like an A and B section, or a 'verse, chorus, bridge' section. I believe it helps lay out a roadmap for the eventual arrangement. I found that starting off in arrangement lead to a kind of 'section bleed'- I lose a sense of structure and end up with an arrangement that just kind of changes gradually every 8-16 bars but lacks any sort of meaningful structure or impact.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 24, 2019

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I use way too many automation clips to be stuck in session view for any meaningful length of time

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Isn't session meant for live jams primarily? It's fun to create a pile of beats, basslines, leads and just randomly play them over 10 minutes to an audio dump. But for a song, you'd want arrangement view.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

d0grent posted:

I use way too many automation clips to be stuck in session view for any meaningful length of time

I leave big picture automation for the arrangement, but I make liberal use of modulation in session view. I think by combining clip based modulation and arrangement based automation nets you the best of both worlds here.

Philthy posted:

Isn't session meant for live jams primarily? It's fun to create a pile of beats, basslines, leads and just randomly play them over 10 minutes to an audio dump. But for a song, you'd want arrangement view.

That's a very narrow view of the utility of the two views. While session view is undeniably well suited to live jamming, I think you get far more out of the Ableton workflow by using both for production. Besides, 'live jamming' is how I generate a lot of ideas that end up developing into full songs.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

PoizenJam posted:

I leave big picture automation for the arrangement, but I make liberal use of modulation in session view. I think by combining clip based modulation and arrangement based automation nets you the best of both worlds here.

That's a very narrow view of the utility of the two views. While session view is undeniably well suited to live jamming, I think you get far more out of the Ableton workflow by using both for production. Besides, 'live jamming' is how I generate a lot of ideas that end up developing into full songs.

Sure. Everyone has different ways of doing things. I was thinking for more traditional songs with long guitar runs, vocals, bass, and other recordings, session view probably wont be what you'll want to use. For electronic music with repeating patterns, it's great to get all kinds of things going and can get a good feel how you want a song to go.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Philthy posted:

Sure. Everyone has different ways of doing things. I was thinking for more traditional songs with long guitar runs, vocals, bass, and other recordings, session view probably wont be what you'll want to use. For electronic music with repeating patterns, it's great to get all kinds of things going and can get a good feel how you want a song to go.

For recording, I almost always use session view because its easier to record a bunch of different takes. At least, I haven't found a good way to record multiple takes in arrangement view since as I understand it, Ableton still doesn't have built-in workflow for comping vocals. Another reason I record in session view is I can just loop a 4-bar section while recording any amount of time over it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Philthy posted:

I was thinking for more traditional songs with long guitar runs, vocals, bass, and other recordings, session view probably wont be what you'll want to use.

Well yeah, if you're using Ableton to create or import a bunch of long take stems and just need to do mixing/automation I can't imagine there's much value in session mode. But that's a very small portion of Ableton's intended workflow.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
The biggest limitation workflow-wise imo for Session is that recording and layering can be a little clunky. Overdubbing loops is pretty easy, you just set that up to basically loop over itself and you can go for as many takes at any length as you want (and just adjust the loop regions later). This works for automation too (I've done that and then moved the clip over to Arrangement to finetune the automation). The challenge I've had has been with duplicating some of those recordings, which generally requires a bunch of new channels. I think Session works best when you can have as few channels as you can, it's just much easier to manage.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I generally start with session view to just get some ideas and loops down since it's so easy to make a clip, duplicate it to make alterations, make a new clip, etc. Eventually I'll switch to Arrangement when I'm trying to turn those basic ideas into something a bit more concrete.

But even then I'll still use Session view because you can totally mix and match the two. Like say I have an arrangement going but decide I need to add something else, another MIDI track like drums or a synth or something. I'll loop a section of the track in arrangement mode then start making clips for the new midi track only in Session mode since it's easier to experiment there.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Simone Poodoin posted:

Yeah that drum rack is great, I modified it a bit to include the full general midi standard mapping and tested it with Battery 4, Addictive Drums and a Kontakt drum kit (Drummica). Works perfectly with anything that supports GM and will work with custom mapped Battery kits. will also work to trigger other drum racks.

Thanks again, here's the modified version if it's useful for anyone https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kmHyQEYQuAQXeX5TFqTwAlu9g97hLfWx/view

Other benefits is that it shows the kit part name in the piano roll and the color coding shows in Push, this is definitely something that I'm adding to my default set.

I've been using this and just want to say thanks. It's awesome, especially for using drum plugins with Push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

cool, glad you like it. I've been using it a lot too so thanks to Mister Speaker for posting the original.