Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Canada is weird.

Very much so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I've got a question regarding a specific job withing aviation.

I'm currently very close to being by a company that specializes in, I guess, aircraft parts reclamation? I'm not sure exactly what the job title would be and this is an issue because I don't know how much money to ask for, which is something I've told to start thinking about (direct quote: "I need you to be thinking about how much you want to make")

Basically the company takes business jets that don't fly anymore and pulls all the engines/parts/avionics to re-sell them, then takes the airframe and (usually) scraps it. They also do some jet brokerage stuff, as well as appraisals, aircraft recovery and other things. I guess you could describe them as an aviation services company. Typically working with Dassault Falcons, sometimes Citations or Hawkers.

OK SO...my concern is this: I don't know how much I should be making, and I really don't want to low-ball myself. The job itself would be the aircraft disassembly, but google doesn't understand what I mean by that.

I have six years experience as an avionics tech in the Air Force (ECM on B-1s, also did a TON of other jobs on that jet when it needed to be done. Even helped change a wingsweep gearbox once!) and that was all flightline, I didn't work backshop. Another two and a half years as ground service tech, of which a year was as a supervisor.

I also have a fairly encyclopedic knowledge of aircraft and aviation, though I understand that means more or less nothing compared to actual experience.

Anyone have an idea how much I should be looking at here? Also I live in Kansas City fwiw

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Would any pilot goons be interested in a Garmin GDL-39 with two batteries for ADS-B and GPS for Garmin Pilot? I haven’t used it in forever since I’m not really doing GA things anymore. First $250 takes it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Would any pilot goons be interested in a Garmin GDL-39 with two batteries for ADS-B and GPS for Garmin Pilot? I haven’t used it in forever since I’m not really doing GA things anymore. First $250 takes it.

won’t that work with the iPad’s Jepp app via bluetooth?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

won’t that work with the iPad’s Jepp app via bluetooth?

Nothing works with the jepp app that I’m aware of.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Canada is weird.

To follow up on this: yeah, it’s kind of a pain in the rear end for us, but after the year I’ve had, going with an experienced instructor and examiner and having her say “you fly very well, and your teaching technique and knowledge is good” is honestly the confidence booster I needed.

The bosses have been bitching at me that my students aren’t progressing as fast as they ought to and I’m glad to have an objective voice saying, “wherever the problems lie, it ain’t you,” because I’d started to question that as well.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was offered $2,400 more a year by a flight school to take on probably 3-4x the work I'm doing now, plus being the first person students would encounter when they're pissed off and no benefits. Fuckin' :laffo:, I'll stay put, thanks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PT6A posted:

To follow up on this: yeah, it’s kind of a pain in the rear end for us, but after the year I’ve had, going with an experienced instructor and examiner and having her say “you fly very well, and your teaching technique and knowledge is good” is honestly the confidence booster I needed.

The bosses have been bitching at me that my students aren’t progressing as fast as they ought to and I’m glad to have an objective voice saying, “wherever the problems lie, it ain’t you,” because I’d started to question that as well.

As a current student, I have had instructors where I've wanted to yell at them "holy poo poo, just slow down and let me do this at my own pace, I'm still new and need time to think" so I think it's super loving dumb for your bosses to be telling you to push the students faster than they're going.

(I have also had good instructors, so you know, shopping around is a real important thing)

Like, I am a college professor too, and over the years it has become blindingly obvious that you can't make somebody learn. You can present the material, answer questions, perform demonstrations and offer support, but then they need to process it at the rate they're comfortable with.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
It's my last week at my current job and I made the mistake of thinking it was going to be an easy week...

KATL 231946Z 04036G50KT 0SM R09R/2000VP6000FT +TSRA FG SCT010CB BKN030 OVC040 23/18 A3010 RMK AO2 PK WND 03050/1945 WSHFT 1920 SFC VIS 1/4 RAB10 TSB1857 FRQ LTGICCG ALQDS TS ALQDS MOV E VIS LWR W-N-SE P0002 $

...and then my good overnight with a great crew got changed to a holiday inn in the middle of a buisness park with a bunch of new hire slam clickers. Oh well, at least I start a week of freedom tomorrow before going back to the grind for another 32 years.

PT6A posted:

Keep doing what you're doing, every instructor/captain/examiner who works with a student after you're done with them will appreciate it.

PS. :toot: to all of you who have passed various things over the past week.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

I also have a fairly encyclopedic knowledge of aircraft and aviation, though I understand that means more or less nothing compared to actual experience.

Anyone have an idea how much I should be looking at here? Also I live in Kansas City fwiw

Most of us are pilots, there may be a couple who could chime in as they pass thru but it may take some time.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Nothing works with the jepp app that I’m aware of.

My Bad elf is company approved and works well with Jepp and WSI.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AWSEFT posted:

My Bad elf is company approved and works well with Jepp and WSI.

Oh gps wise it would work but I’m talking nexrad and metars from ADSB doesn’t.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was offered $2,400 more a year by a flight school to take on probably 3-4x the work I'm doing now, plus being the first person students would encounter when they're pissed off and no benefits. Fuckin' :laffo:, I'll stay put, thanks.

Good decision. Turn it down politely. Keep your resume brushed up.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I found a new worst thing ever. Blacked out because it’s gross.

The pilot I worked with today 100% has tonsil stones. I can absolutely tell when they talk.

Please have good hygiene if sitting close to people in a pressurized tube.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hmm what are tonsil stones, goes to google images and OOHHH GGODD NOOO

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Wtftonsil.jpg

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

"holy poo poo, just slow down and let me do this at my own pace, I'm still new and need time to think"

Yep. We've covered what I'm supposed to be doing, I just need practice executing. Unless we're about to die please just let me focus and work it out

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Rolo posted:

I found a new worst thing ever. Blacked out because it’s gross.

The pilot I worked with today 100% has tonsil stones. I can absolutely tell when they talk.

Please have good hygiene if sitting close to people in a pressurized tube.

Was it the smell? People smell like that who never brush their teeth or floss either. I only know this because I’ve been around people who are like this.

That’s loving gross.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Managed to get line checked twice today, and then topped that off with a 45 minute delay when they accidentally swapped our airplane and didn't have a replacement, followed by a kid puking all over two rows of seats.

Only four more days of this trip, so I'm slightly terrified what else the airline gods have in store for me.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 26, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Julius CSAR posted:

I'm currently very close to being by a company that specializes in, I guess, aircraft parts reclamation? I'm not sure exactly what the job title would be and this is an issue because I don't know how much money to ask for, which is something I've told to start thinking about (direct quote: "I need you to be thinking about how much you want to make")

Basically the company takes business jets that don't fly anymore and pulls all the engines/parts/avionics to re-sell them, then takes the airframe and (usually) scraps it. They also do some jet brokerage stuff, as well as appraisals, aircraft recovery and other things. I guess you could describe them as an aviation services company. Typically working with Dassault Falcons, sometimes Citations or Hawkers.

OK SO...my concern is this: I don't know how much I should be making, and I really don't want to low-ball myself. The job itself would be the aircraft disassembly, but google doesn't understand what I mean by that.

I have six years experience as an avionics tech in the Air Force (ECM on B-1s, also did a TON of other jobs on that jet when it needed to be done. Even helped change a wingsweep gearbox once!) and that was all flightline, I didn't work backshop. Another two and a half years as ground service tech, of which a year was as a supervisor.

Do absolutely everything in your power to make them throw out a number before you do.

The Negotiation Thread: Never say a number, JFC

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 26, 2019

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Julius CSAR posted:

My wild-rear end guess for the KC area doing parts salvage work would be $65-85,000. Half-way decent mechanics wrenching on large-cabin corporate aircraft should pull in $85-105,000. Wild-rear end guess.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Julius CSAR posted:

This is called aircraft parts salvage and reclamation. I work in maintenance and we buy a bunch of parts from shops like these.

Stealing parts off of planes without breaking them is skilled labor. Make yourself known as the guy who can identify the correct part the customer wants off of one of your hulks, then get it in good condition. If the customer asks for the rack for the equipment, get that too. If the customer states "NO RACK" then take the rack out and have it separate, because getting those out sucks, and you're in there anyway.

I don't know about cost of living in KC, but $25/hr is not a lowball. There are a ton of avionics shops in the area, and about two orders of magnitude more if you're willing to move to Wichita. If you've got an actual A&P license, then $30-40/hr is reasonable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

As a current student, I have had instructors where I've wanted to yell at them "holy poo poo, just slow down and let me do this at my own pace, I'm still new and need time to think" so I think it's super loving dumb for your bosses to be telling you to push the students faster than they're going.

Well, to be fair to my bosses and students, there's kind of two sides to the story.

First of all, I think you have a good attitude as a student pilot and reasonable expectations of your instructors, so that's good. I've had some students that seem really concerned about what I think of their rate of progress, and I say, "hey, this isn't about me, this is about you. If you feel you're progressing at a rate you're happy with, I'm not going to say you must do things faster or whatever." Hell, I just had a student whose father passed away unexpectedly, and he phoned me and started apologizing for cancelling his flights and whatnot, and I said, "My god, that's terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that, and of all the things that really loving suck about this situation, and all the things you should be worrying about right now, how this affects me as your flight instructor is just stunningly far down the list."

In the air, my usual process is: I will let you start making a mistake on your own, and I will wait to see if you correct it. If I see no evidence you're correcting it, I'll start asking a question to get you to think about what's going on and hopefully get you to notice and correct. If there's still nothing, I'll tell you what the problem is and see if you can correct it. If you don't correct it, I'll tell you what you need to do to correct it. If it's still not done, I'll take control before it becomes safety critical. Perfection can be the end goal, but it can't be the immediate goal, and students need room to make and recover from mistakes.

This brings me to the problem of my students who are having trouble progressing. I had one, who's now making really decent progress, who was stuck in the circuit for a long time because there were some issues with his landings, and they got solved through lots and lots of practice. He could usually identify that something was going or had gone wrong, and we got to the point where he could respond adequately to the problem. It's gotten much, much better now. I have another guy around the same point, who's overall a pretty decent pilot but is still making mistakes I would term "safety-critical" on a disturbingly regular basis. What I like even less about that guy compared to the first guy, in terms of my comfort level sending him solo, is he's having significant trouble recognizing that he's making those mistakes in the first place, and for me as an instructor making the decision to send someone solo, the only difference between "making three or five major mistakes in a flight" and "making one major mistake in a flight" is how far we have to go before we get to "zero uncorrected major mistakes in a flight" because that's the standard I want to see before I get out of the right seat.

So, he's getting frustrated because he thinks he's ready to progress, I'm getting frustrated because I'm sick of having to take control after we touch down with fuckall crosswind input and swerve wildly across the runway or cross the airport fence low and at Vref-5, and the boss is getting frustrated because she has to deal with a student and instructor that are now at odds about where the flight training should go from here. So far the solution is that he's getting another instructor to do half his flights, and hopefully come at the problem from a different angle. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, but I hope it goes well because I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall right now and I'm not going to send this guy solo again until I see him consistently avoiding things that put himself and the aircraft at risk, and more importantly, showing decent awareness that those things are Not Good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ugh the feds are changing the question database the day of my ATP written (tomorrow).

SheppardAir is releasing updates as the day goes on and they assure me not to panic but still, ugh.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

Ugh the feds are changing the question database the day of my ATP written (tomorrow).

SheppardAir is releasing updates as the day goes on and they assure me not to panic but still, ugh.

drat. Talk about bad luck. What are the odds that the place you're taking the test won't update their question bank by then?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

ausgezeichnet posted:

My wild-rear end guess for the KC area doing parts salvage work would be $65-85,000. Half-way decent mechanics wrenching on large-cabin corporate aircraft should pull in $85-105,000. Wild-rear end guess.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is called aircraft parts salvage and reclamation. I work in maintenance and we buy a bunch of parts from shops like these.

Stealing parts off of planes without breaking them is skilled labor. Make yourself known as the guy who can identify the correct part the customer wants off of one of your hulks, then get it in good condition. If the customer asks for the rack for the equipment, get that too. If the customer states "NO RACK" then take the rack out and have it separate, because getting those out sucks, and you're in there anyway.

I don't know about cost of living in KC, but $25/hr is not a lowball. There are a ton of avionics shops in the area, and about two orders of magnitude more if you're willing to move to Wichita. If you've got an actual A&P license, then $30-40/hr is reasonable.

holy poo poo. I've basically been making 10-12 dollars an hour my whole life, If I could get close to that it would be like winning the loving lottery holy poo poo

I'm almost even more intimidated now.

Thank you guys for the responses! I'll let you all know how it goes!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I showed up to the ATP written, which changed this morning. Didn’t recognize most of the questions from Shepp. I had to work all the perf questions, and there were about 60 of them, which ended up being my saving grace because it mostly just involved following a line on a graph.

Took just under 3 hours.

Scored an 81

I’ll take it!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

So I showed up to the ATP written, which changed this morning. Didn’t recognize most of the questions from Shepp. I had to work all the perf questions, and there were about 60 of them, which ended up being my saving grace because it mostly just involved following a line on a graph.

Took just under 3 hours.

Scored an 81

I’ll take it!

You studied 11% too hard.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wasn’t expecting to have to try at all :argh:

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Want percent do you need to score to get a refund?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Two Kings posted:

69 lol

Edit: nice

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Two Kings posted:

Below a 90, so I got that going for me!

I was going to shoot for one anyways. They preach that you get a refund if you run into any questions that weren’t in the prep software and honestly the prep didn’t get me ready for this one at all. I did well because I semi know 91 stuff, aerodynamics, mechanical bits, weather and performance.

There were so many 121 specific questions based on different kinds of operations and crew sizes which is all :shrug: to me.

tangie
Oct 8, 2018

Arson Daily posted:

69 lol

Edit: nice

lol

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Below a 90, so I got that going for me!

I was going to shoot for one anyways. They preach that you get a refund if you run into any questions that weren’t in the prep software and honestly the prep didn’t get me ready for this one at all. I did well because I semi know 91 stuff, aerodynamics, mechanical bits, weather and performance.

There were so many 121 specific questions based on different kinds of operations and crew sizes which is all :shrug: to me.

FA required for 20 or more pax, and for every 50 after that.

Which is why there are planes like the Beech 1900 that conveniently seats 19 people and doesn’t need an FA

And the 50 seat regional jets, if they sat 51 they’d need 2 FAs.

And you need an ATP if you have more than 9 seats, which is why planes like the PC12 and King Air seat 9.

That and the fuel needed for flag and supplemental operations. I don’t remember much else from 121 on the test, but it’s been a few years since I took it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So, turnabout is fair play:

The US is weird.

I could fly as FO on any drat thing I please (I probably wouldn't get hired, but I could do it) with just my CPL and a type rating (if necessary) here. We have a weird pseudo-ATPL exam called IATRA, which you need to get a type rating on a two-crew aircraft and covers a lot of the same poo poo, but you need way fewer hours to be eligible to write that exam. Or if you write your As but don't have the experience requirements to hold the ATPL, then you can get a type rating on a two-crew aircraft without having written the IATRA, but you won't be allowed to exercise the privileges of the ATPL as far as acting as pilot-in-command. Unless your employer has a certified pilot-in-command-under-supervision program, in which case you can act as pilot-in-command, kind of, with a suitably experienced captain beside you, but those hours won't always transfer if you go to a different employer.

Actually, you know what? Canada is weird and the US is weird and aviation regulations in general are :psypop:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I once had a student from Kenya who was very proud of his Cessna 152 and 172 type ratings. I guess you had to have a type for every make and model over there. Germany has a very strict 250 below 10k rule which means if you’re flying an airplane with a clean speed above 250 it looks like you’re gonna be flaps 1 until you hit 10k. Thankfully icao keeps most of that BS standard.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

So, turnabout is fair play:

The US is weird.

I could fly as FO on any drat thing I please (I probably wouldn't get hired, but I could do it) with just my CPL and a type rating (if necessary) here. We have a weird pseudo-ATPL exam called IATRA, which you need to get a type rating on a two-crew aircraft and covers a lot of the same poo poo, but you need way fewer hours to be eligible to write that exam. Or if you write your As but don't have the experience requirements to hold the ATPL, then you can get a type rating on a two-crew aircraft without having written the IATRA, but you won't be allowed to exercise the privileges of the ATPL as far as acting as pilot-in-command. Unless your employer has a certified pilot-in-command-under-supervision program, in which case you can act as pilot-in-command, kind of, with a suitably experienced captain beside you, but those hours won't always transfer if you go to a different employer.

Actually, you know what? Canada is weird and the US is weird and aviation regulations in general are :psypop:

Nah the US was more or less like that until the families of the Colgan crash got some really good lobbyists. You had better believe the regional airline industry wishes they could hire low time CPL guys right now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Nah the US was more or less like that until the families of the Colgan crash got some really good lobbyists. You had better believe the regional airline industry wishes they could hire low time CPL guys right now.

Remind me what tortured logic they used to justify that, given both pilots were above ATP minima and they crashed due to failure to identify and recover from a stall, a skill I absolutely expect to see in my students before I think about sending them solo.

There were problems there and none of them had anything to do with the size of the number at the bottom of a logbook.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So is air travel going to suddenly get much more expensive due to the pilot shortage or will the government intervene?

Or will all regional flights in 2025 be flown by 20 year old Chinese nationals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jealous Cow posted:

So is air travel going to suddenly get much more expensive due to the pilot shortage or will the government intervene?

Or will all regional flights in 2025 be flown by 20 year old Chinese nationals?

You could literally double the salary of every pilot and flight attendant at an airline and it would bump your ticket cost by maybe 5-10 percent at the most.