Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wasn't this last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

He always does this wherever he goes.

He's also a punk rear end bitch. :shrug:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
When even your push-ups are fake, you are just an avatar of some babylonian deity of lies.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Jose posted:

Do people mind doing a quick translation/explanation of tweets if they're all in Portuguese?

If you do then no worries

in the germany thread they go only german all the time so i thought i might as well just skip translating some more specific political stuff you guys might not be familiarized with, also i'm lazy lol

in 1995 a bank was incorporated and the federal transition auditors found a case containing documents that damned basically every presidential campaign since redemocratization over illegal donations

this being brazil, the auditors who found the briefcase were duly persecuted for illegally obtaining the documents and it was never spoken of again.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

bagual posted:

Do any of you olds actually remember this? I had no idea.

"Você é um moleque, filho da puta. Vou passar por cima de você. Quem é você para fechar um banco na Bahia? Lá as coisas não são assim"
- ACM, to the president of the Central Bank, Gustavo Franco.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

bagual posted:

in the germany thread they go only german all the time so i thought i might as well just skip translating some more specific political stuff you guys might not be familiarized with, also i'm lazy lol

in 1995 a bank was incorporated and the federal transition auditors found a case containing documents that damned basically every presidential campaign since redemocratization over illegal donations

this being brazil, the auditors who found the briefcase were duly persecuted for illegally obtaining the documents and it was never spoken of again.

Lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The sudden face turn of Reinaldo Azevedo is pretty shocking. I guess it turns out he's the real unicorn, the neoliberal media man with a modicum of a spine?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

The sudden face turn of Reinaldo Azevedo is pretty shocking. I guess it turns out he's the real unicorn, the neoliberal media man with a modicum of a spine?

I'm still wary. Odds stil lare that he saw the writing on the wall that there is no room for 'intellectual' neoliberals anymore in the discourse outside of a few, shrinking newspaper op-eds. It's frothing christian free-market blood-drinkers or go home.

And he knows he won't fit with ot convince that crowd, like Marcelo Madureira from the Casseta&Planeta outfit being fired last year and Villas Boas, the rabidly anti-PT radio host that tried to split hairs and demand some wits from the government and was suspended right afterward. The chuds can sniff someone faking it a mile away, and at long last they don't have to settle for squishes like Arnaldo Jabor or Azevedo, who likely would accept gay marriage and dig european capitals and a cosmopolitan culture.

Patriotism may be the scoundre'ls last refuge, but if even that route is taken by someone else, sometimes integrity can also be an escape. At least it gets some of your old enemies willing to shield you for a bit until you can figure out where to scurry.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's simpler than that, i think.
Lava jato released audios of Azevedo talking to Aécio's sister, and he probably hadn't realized that it was all for show. As Aécio's star faded he probably realized that his only option was to become the reasonable neoliberal.

Azevedo got his start on a publication that was straight up a scheme for psdb. (Primeira leitura, If you're curious)

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Magrov posted:

"Você é um moleque, filho da puta. Vou passar por cima de você. Quem é você para fechar um banco na Bahia? Lá as coisas não são assim"
- ACM, to the president of the Central Bank, Gustavo Franco.

so nice that bahia has been a pt soviet state for a while now, but somehow acm neto is still a thing because of course lol

I see Reinaldo as similar to Glenn in many respects, they both once were suit wearing neoliberal bloodsucking shitheads that saw how deep the hole went and turned back. Altough the man literally coined the term "petralha" and milked it over two books and his column was frequently a string of insults, so maybe he went a bit further down.

he's had quite a makeover, it came along gradually over the last 5 years or so and his conversations being leaked was a major turning point.

either Serra's dominion has diminished so greatly the vampire curse has been lifted or he tried lsd or something, he even got that *hello fellow kids* look

if he's doing it out of guilt to save face or integrity or whatever i guess we'll see in the next episode, but Globo finally started showing signs of leaving Moro to the wolves after his program today

reaching out for partners was a great move by the intercept, whoever they may be

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

bagual posted:

so nice that bahia has been a pt soviet state for a while now, but somehow acm neto is still a thing because of course lol

I see Reinaldo as similar to Glenn in many respects, they both once were suit wearing neoliberal bloodsucking shitheads that saw how deep the hole went and turned back. Altough the man literally coined the term "petralha" and milked it over two books and his column was frequently a string of insults, so maybe he went a bit further down.

he's had quite a makeover, it came along gradually over the last 5 years or so and his conversations being leaked was a major turning point.

either Serra's dominion has diminished so greatly the vampire curse has been lifted or he tried lsd or something, he even got that *hello fellow kids* look

if he's doing it out of guilt to save face or integrity or whatever i guess we'll see in the next episode, but Globo finally started showing signs of leaving Moro to the wolves after his program today

reaching out for partners was a great move by the intercept, whoever they may be

Oh, definitely. I think it was sun Tzu that said that the good general has a role for the brave and the cowardly, the rash and the cautious, the honest and the corrupt, and so forth.

Spreading it aroubd and partnering with other vehicles gives them a bit of a boost, reaches more people with different kinds of credibility, and makes it harder to squelch just by shutting him down if it comes to that.

But I'm waiting at least a year before I trust Azevedo. He's just been a proud shithead for way too long. This is the guy who in 2008 wrote "Is this the best the Democratic party can do? A woman and a black man? what about the white men who built it from the ground up?", so he was fully keen on being the tropical Sean Hannity.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Glenn has taken all his extreme online experience and is putting it to good use. Pretty much every story has been designed to counter whatever the Moro argument of the day. Today's story was about them removing someone from a hearing at Moro's request and it came a few hours after Moro insisted he was just commenting on the agent's abilities and not telling them to remove her.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah I guess I can chalk Azevedo's slow shift to cowardice or even a desire to keep being an opposition contrarian. Yet another thing that astounded me is that of the "big three" news magazines, Veja is the least right wing one, specially regarding the investigation. Did someone posted here before how the gently caress IstoÉ's editorial department somehow turned full Bolsonarist around 2016 or so?

E: Democracia em Vertigem/Edge of Democracy is an okay doc. Is it out on the foreign Netflix so non Brazilians can watch?

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Jun 21, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Trailer here fyi

https://youtu.be/xLe24M_PB5E

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Yeah I guess I can chalk Azevedo's slow shift to cowardice or even a desire to keep being an opposition contrarian. Yet another thing that astounded me is that of the "big three" news magazines, Veja is the least right wing one, specially regarding the investigation. Did someone posted here before how the gently caress IstoÉ's editorial department somehow turned full Bolsonarist around 2016 or so?

E: Democracia em Vertigem/Edge of Democracy is an okay doc. Is it out on the foreign Netflix so non Brazilians can watch?

IstoÉ is completely mercenary. They were licking PT like they were made of sugar before 2013-2014, printing covers of how brazilians were never this happy. But as the media pie keeps shrinking, they quickly realized the market for pandering to chuds was both easy and profitable, especially when labour became increasingly frail.

Even more, it came with the hope of snagging cash subsidies that was going to be taken away from other vehicles who were not as on board with the new regime; after all VEJa and even Globo are communists now, so they shouldnt be getting one red cent from the governemtn if the right crazies have their way. Meanwhile, flunkies like Record, SBT and IstoÉ are wagging their tails and hoping for treats.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Get Marta to replace Damares for god's sake.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I just watched and the Edge of Democracy is very good for the uninitiated. I.e., if you are someone who's following it, it won't have anything necessarily new. But if not, it does a great job hitting the main beats without being preachy.
Hopefully Petra Costa will follow up with the new intercept stuff.

Also, so many parallels between Petra Costa's story and my own. Also from Belo Horizonte, also from a somewhat aristocratic family (though nowhere near "Andrade Gutierrez" levels), with conservative grandparents who had leftist children (though it was my uncle that was arrested and died, my father was lucky that he was a bit older when the dictatorship came to power and that the person they had investigating him had been his buddy at CPOR), and who despite all that still had uncles and aunts supporting Bolsonaro.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

joepinetree posted:

I just watched and the Edge of Democracy is very good for the uninitiated. I.e., if you are someone who's following it, it won't have anything necessarily new. But if not, it does a great job hitting the main beats without being preachy.
that's good to know, might give it a watch in that case

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

oh right, greenwald goes on fox news a lot too. he kinda shouldn't do that tbh

sanders went on fox news as well

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

meanwhile in the US he keeps showing up on Tucker Carlson to complain about PC culture going wrong and dumb poo poo like that.

that is absolutely not what he does. the closest to that is he's firmly against deplatforming right wingers on youtube/twitter/whatever on the grounds of being against corporate censorship, which is a take that people can have a reasonable argument about

most of the smears against him tend to be from the same circle of pro imperialist liberals levelling the same kind of garbage you see thrown at bernie or corbyn or whoever and anyone falling it is dumb as hell.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

mila kunis posted:

I think it's okay okay to appear on Fox, but not Tucker or that racist blond lady.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i think greenwald's one of the best journalists of our age and consistently a thorn in the side of the most powerful people of the world trying to make our lives worse. anyone falling for shrieking liberal cancel culture weaponized by cynical pro imperialist turds should probanly reconsider

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

mila kunis posted:

that is absolutely not what he does. the closest to that is he's firmly against deplatforming right wingers on youtube/twitter/whatever on the grounds of being against corporate censorship, which is a take that people can have a reasonable argument about

I feel like he at least implicitly condones this kinda conservative narrative by going on Carlson to smile and agree when Carlson frames the whole "deplatforming right-wingers" as PC culture going wrong. Like yeah, I really want to give Greenwald some credit here but I don't know, being so chummy with Tucker Carlson feels like stepping on very thin ice to me.

But my point was that, in contrast, he's very different here in Brazil. He often goes to right-wingers radio shows like Jovem Pan to actively disagree and debate them. He does not identify himself with them in any way, it's a very different attitude.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mila kunis posted:

~marxist professor dick wolff~ has gone on fox news at least 3 times that i know of

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mila kunis posted:

i think greenwald's one of the best journalists of our age and consistently a thorn in the side of the most powerful people of the world trying to make our lives worse. anyone falling for shrieking liberal cancel culture weaponized by cynical pro imperialist turds should probanly reconsider
for someone who decries cancel culture, you do a good job of completely erasing context from quotes

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

for someone who decries cancel culture, you do a good job of completely erasing context from quotes

what?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you quoted me saying that i don't agree with him going on fox news (tucker carlson in particular, as others have pointed out) when i also said

i don't subscribe to cancel culture and think that glenn does a lot of valuable reporting and is worth posting about, regardless of how extremely online he can be

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
didn't see that post and wasn't trying to drag you, its just a general statement of going on fox news doesnt tarnish someone

a big part of why he's there in the first place is being shut out of outlets like msnbc since they've become water carriers for blob propaganda

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
did you really come here to revive a week old discussion with more bullshit GG derailing

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

This thread is semi-dead, but I do believe it should be revived for the following reason:

https://twitter.com/mfox_us/status/1143586324907212803

If people recall a week ago, Moro was supposed to pop in the Congresso to discuss his involvement with the procedure to go with, that's right, a re-evaluation of the Lava Jato case and potential release of Lula himself, from two habeas corpeus requests from Da Silva's lawyers. While Moro is somewhat trying to avoid it and to this hour still denying his involment, Greenwald is at the moment there to discuss his finding with the judges.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1143520276791070720

https://twitter.com/dasilvabenedita/status/1143536800494997505

https://twitter.com/MidiaNINJA/status/1143527284256776199

Does it look good for him so far?

https://twitter.com/mfox_us/status/1143615251302223872

https://twitter.com/mariekeriethof/status/1143613291484389378

So far I'd say the judges voting far and against his release and / or the admission that Moro did heavily skew the Brazilian election are around 50%-50%, currently on a recess.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hope for the best, expect the worst

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
This feels like a game of chicken at the moment. People will have to pop their heads out to keep the conspiracy under wraps and lula in jail, but it's Brazil we're talking about.

loving the bot wars though

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It really depends on whether the Supreme Justices will grow a pair and tell the Generals that have been threatening them to eat a dick but I think that's very unlikely to happen.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

hope for the best, expect the worst

https://twitter.com/bbcbrasil/status/1143644222609903617

You are correct.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Plutonis posted:

It really depends on whether the Supreme Justices will grow a pair and tell the Generals that have been threatening them to eat a dick but I think that's very unlikely to happen.

Narrator: They didn’t

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the supreme justices are obviously chuds, the result was not a surprise at all. heck, they were actively avoiding it until the last moment.

these people kept Lula in prison during the elections on a flimsy accusation, it'd be insane if they changed their minds now.

Symbolic Butt has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Jun 26, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So Sephyr now even Rachel Scherazade (!) is a cuban communist according to guys like the Havan's old man who asked for SBT to fire her. Guess you are right and it'll only be the rabid bootlickers left on the news media if this keeps up.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

So Sephyr now even Rachel Scherazade (!) is a cuban communist according to guys like the Havan's old man who asked for SBT to fire her. Guess you are right and it'll only be the rabid bootlickers left on the news media if this keeps up.

Been telling people that. The real frothing maniacs don't -have- to settle for a paid intellectual like, say Arnaldo Jabor and the late Paulo Francis to defend the watered-down version of their conservatism. They have real, invested mouthpieces now, and everyone who doesn't toe the party line is a commie and will be purged.

The dopes at Antagonista are somewhat fun to watch because you can tell they want so hard to be cosmopolitan neoliberal Davos intellectuals, but their crowd is 95% howling fascists at this point so they are always walking on eggshells in everything they say or do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whoops

https://twitter.com/SamCowie84/status/1143873793921888258

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

oh I've seen some snarky references to this on twitter but I wasn't sure what people were talking about

I didn't know because the newspapers decided to cover stuff like this instead:

context translation: bolsonaro decided to guide external policy towards 'there are only 2 genders'