Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dunban posted:

Every GDQ people get triggered by a Pokemon run and it's very funny to me

using "trigger" as a a negative descriptor, putting weight into people saying "i think pokemon runs are historically kinda boring", and gloating as if that makes you better than others is definitely a very cool post that doesn't look like it fell out of the "sort by controversial" section of reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Polarization infects all aspects of modern capitalist culture :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Uh did a huge donation get rolled back or cancelled? We were at 428k a minute ago and we're down to 422k

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

a delightful disaster of pokemon crystal where people are donating hundreds of dollars apiece to hear the announcer tell everyone their favorite pokemon

Tayter Swift posted:

Like five thousand kids wont die this year because of it :)

it's me, the guy who used to not understand why extremely marathon-unsafe pokemon runs keep getting scheduled

in my defense i never played the games

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Pokemon always gets the big donations because you're basically guaranteed to get your donation read, since there's nothing interesting to say during a Pokemon run

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
oh poo poo Toby fox donated!

:shittydog:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CharlestonJew posted:

Pokemon always gets the big donations because you're basically guaranteed to get your donation read, since there's nothing interesting to say during a Pokemon run

Miss that Burnout Paradise run.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
This is an incredibly boring game lol

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pokemon are nice chill runs

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Runs are already hitting the official GDQ YouTube channel if you want to watch earlier runs without scrubbing through the long VODs on twitch.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just so it doesn't seem like i'm trying to constantly poo poo all over pokemon runs, i get why they're included due to popularity and money raised, i just think there's a lot working against them w/r/t length, interesting mechanics to show, and rng

i'm not currently watching it but it sounds like they're doing a fine enough job with it, so that's good. just overall not my cup of tea

it's also easy to meme about all the past runs that colossally hosed up lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the game's boring but the couch and guy are cool

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

dammit I woke up from a nap and it's still pokemon crystal

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I think that Keiz has the record for most euthanized runs.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I looked down at my phone for like five minutes at $425k and now it’s at $438k lmao

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Pokemon has now made over 100k now during the run. Also hit the seventh completed incentive

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I don't mind the super long Super Mario games because they have a lot of variety in the games.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
im just glad the yetee finally put up the pennant. ORDERED

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Zore posted:

Pokemon has now made over 100k now during the run. Also hit the seventh completed incentive

Hot drat! Well at least the run is really good for MSF :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
At least the crowd is invested

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

oddium posted:

the game's boring but the couch and guy are cool

announcer is also doing some work

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I really wish the Pokemon runs had like an intermediate run category between "glitchfest that's barely comprehensible" and "glitchless run that starts with 30 minutes of interesting manipulations and tricks, but followed by 3 hours of not a whole lot to discuss". It's a nice run to watch as background filler though.

Keizaron, the couch, and the announcer did a great job keeping it moving by always having something to talk about and staying entertaining even though the game itself isn't fantastic viewing.

Beasteh posted:

the runner wore a fortnite shirt, flossed, goaded the poor girl sat on his couch repeatedly and was just a nervous little edgy memer

also he didn't actually speedrun the game he just played through the time trial casually

Doorknob Slobber posted:

thats hilarious im sorry i missed it
No. You're not.

It wasn't bad in a funny way. It wasn't bad in an interesting "oh poo poo, things are going wrong, let's see how he handles it" way. It wasn't even bad in the kind of way people slow down to see a traffic accident. It's just boring, with very little commentary on the game, with a side of him just being a dick to the person on his couch.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And run is over. Great couch and announcer.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
"even during the boring parts"

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So what's the deal with bonus games?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

I really wish the Pokemon runs had like an intermediate run category between "glitchfest that's barely comprehensible" and "glitchless run that starts with 30 minutes of interesting manipulations and tricks, but followed by 3 hours of not a whole lot to discuss". It's a nice run to watch as background filler though.

Keizaron, the couch, and the announcer did a great job keeping it moving by always having something to talk about and staying entertaining even though the game itself isn't fantastic viewing.

No. You're not.

It wasn't bad in a funny way. It wasn't bad in an interesting "oh poo poo, things are going wrong, let's see how he handles it" way. It wasn't even bad in the kind of way people slow down to see a traffic accident. It's just boring, with very little commentary on the game, with a side of him just being a dick to the person on his couch.

That last part was definitely the weirdest part.

Like the rest of it is a bad in the most banal ways, but why was he such an rear end to the person on his couch as well?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do agree that the run itself was kind of boring but the announcer, couch, crowd, and runner did an an excellent job in adding energy to it and raising so much money in the span of a single run is always good to see.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That last part was definitely the weirdest part.

Like the rest of it is a bad in the most banal ways, but why was he such an rear end to the person on his couch as well?

sometimes friends tease each other

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MagusofStars posted:

No. You're not.

I muted the stream for the most part, but I decided to unmute it from time to time, and one time I did, he turned to the woman on the couch and said "I'm going to kill you." I decided to give him another chance, against my better judgement, and the woman was explaining to him to stop digging himself a deeper hole. He responded to this with "yeah, but if you keep digging, eventually you come out in China." It was extremely lovely.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Brother Entropy posted:

sometimes friends tease each other

goading her into punching him? saying he's going to kill her?

is this a thing that friends do

maybe if they are like 12

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
That was a great entertaining run, haters be damned

E: the Pokemon Crystal run, not the trainwreck

xthnru fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 26, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Beasteh posted:

goading her into punching him? saying he's going to kill her?

is this a thing that friends do

maybe if they are like 12

some people who play video games a lot can be childish, yes

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
This Littleroot Town remix is pretty great

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hunt11 posted:

I do agree that the run itself was kind of boring but the announcer, couch, crowd, and runner did an an excellent job in adding energy to it and raising so much money in the span of a single run is always good to see.

Yeah, I wish more runs would be like that.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

oh my god the pokemon fan club voice

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why are they starting Pokemon Crystal over again? What happened to Zelda randomizer?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Why are they starting Pokemon Crystal over again? What happened to Zelda randomizer?

It was a bonus incentive to do a glitched run. Zelda's next

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
drat, Crystal run pulled in the big buxxx while I was at dinner

Dumb Lowtax posted:

So what's the deal with bonus games?

The "setup blocks" on the schedule are intended for bonus runs that they'll only announce like 8-12 hours ahead of time. Saying "We need to get $100k to unlock the [whatever] run" is an easy way to steadily goose donations outside of the peak viewership hours. I don't think I've seen a bonus game incentive fail since I started watching GDQ 4 or 5 years ago.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Edit: asked and answered while I was typing, nevermind! Looking forward to Zelda randomizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I went and watched the zallard blindfold run. I have no words.