Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Time to die for the defense of Earth :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cythereal posted:

Glad someone liked the X-COM 2 DLC. As much as I love Enemy Unknown/Within, I dislike X-COM 2 just as much despite the geoscape being a huge improvement. Every DLC I saw for the game just made me go "Why are they intent on making the game even worse?" The only one that I felt tried to fix some of the game's problems also added a whole heap of fresh new bullshit I didn't want to deal with.

Here's hoping if X-COM 3 happens it will be a return to form.

I was disillusioned after really enjoying XCOM 2 base game, but WotC is actually really fuckin good and fun, I'm only a couple months in and it's just all round an improvement, I hope FairGame does a WotC LP after this. It really is far better than Long War 2 or whatever they called it.

Also I liked the alien rulers but was a habitual Veteran player. The queen wrecked my poo poo on Classic. Not there yet with WotC, I know of the nerfs but not in detail.

Not what the thread is about though. Fairgame don't get me killed tia

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Guys, my machine isn’t fast enough to handle XCOM at high resolution. Do you really think I could do any mission with The Lost on literally any resolution?

Cythereal, no idea if you have War of the Chosen, but I think it fixes a LOT of the issues with XCOM2. I absolutely can see it not being everyone’s cup of tea, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FairGame posted:

Cythereal, no idea if you have War of the Chosen, but I think it fixes a LOT of the issues with XCOM2. I absolutely can see it not being everyone’s cup of tea, though.

It's the DLC I was referring to as fixing some of the issues I have with X-COM 2 but then adding even more issues in exchange.

Something that's bugged me about every single X-COM game I've played - and I just finished a campaign of Terror from the Deep last week - is that there just isn't enough variety in the aliens. I want more types of aliens, and I want individual aliens to vary so you're never quite sure what you're up against while concealing more information about the aliens from the player. Maybe even going so far as to hide the aliens' health bars from you. I really miss going into X-COM games blind and not being sure what a given enemy is capable of and how to deal with it. War of the Chosen adds more enemies, which is good, but it also adds the Chosen and the other factions, which made me immediately say no thank you.

X-COM Kill Tally

Sectoids: 67
Drones: 23
Thin Men: 11
Seekers: 5
Outsiders: 5
Floaters: 4

Total: 114

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 24, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Cythereal posted:

It's the DLC I was referring to as fixing some of the issues I have with X-COM 2 but then adding even more issues in exchange.

Something that's bugged me about every single X-COM game I've played - and I just finished a campaign of Terror from the Deep last week - is that there just isn't enough variety in the aliens. I want more types of aliens, and I want individual aliens to vary so you're never quite sure what you're up against while concealing more information about the aliens from the player. Maybe even going so far as to hide the aliens' health bars from you. I really miss going into X-COM games blind and not being sure what a given enemy is capable of and how to deal with it. War of the Chosen adds more enemies, which is good, but it also adds the Chosen and the other factions, which made me immediately say no thank you.

Then I think you’d like Long War, since aliens get abilities just like XCOM, and unless you’ve autopsied that’s alien, the abilities are mysterious to you.

Always fun to discover that a floater has covering fire. Or a thin man is actually a “thin man sniper”. And has squadsight with an invisible seeker working as his spotter.

that last one is no fun at all!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FairGame posted:

Then I think you’d like Long War, since aliens get abilities just like XCOM, and unless you’ve autopsied that’s alien, the abilities are mysterious to you.

Always fun to discover that a floater has covering fire. Or a thin man is actually a “thin man sniper”. And has squadsight with an invisible seeker working as his spotter.

that last one is no fun at all!

Except Long War also adds a truckload of bullshit I don't want - your very first episode of this, while enjoyable to watch, was more than enough to persuade me to never touch Long War.

Also, I looked at the wiki. Enemies in Long War aren't that variable. They just steadily get new powers as the game goes on and get leaders with their own different powers.

Phoenix Point, though I'll probably never get it because I don't trust Epic, is more what I'm talking about, with the premise that the aliens regularly adapt and change up their capabilities to try to counter what you're doing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Excited to see my girl get in the poo poo finally, and she's an LMG gunner, the best kind! I always liked how LMG heavies became human sentries, and with the pseudo-squadsight they can become real nasty on the field, even if they're slow as molasses.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
X-COM Kill Tally

Sectoids: 75
Outsiders: 7
Floaters: 12

Total: 132

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

dunno why this one looks so blurry; same settings and all the other videos after this look fine :confused:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Donya "Eagle Eye" Megane, good loving lord

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Donya "Eagle Eye" Megane, good loving lord

:golgo:

Get me a laser sight for my LMG

e: Goddamn, though, shoutout to that one sectoid making us look bad. U da real MVP

megane fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 25, 2019

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
drat and I thought my luck was bad when I ate poo poo from that counter-suppression shot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
X-COM Kill Tally

Sectoids: 80
Outsiders: 8
Floaters: 15

Total: 141

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Wow your scouts are being really unlucky at the moment.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Talow posted:

Wow your scouts are being really unlucky at the moment.

I mean...they're still alive so that's something. I really only curse bad luck when it results in a death.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Ugh, our commander is an uncultured pig who can't even pronounce Adeline right. Requesting commander be replaced by someone who actually respects their troops :v: .

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

BETTER KNOW YOUR ENEMY: THE THIN MAN

Fun fact: the map this thin man is pictured on exists only in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It's removed in Enemy Within and I don't know why.

You won't encounter a thin man until late in your first month, and probably only on the council mission you get. And, honestly, a thin man or two isn't so bad. It's when you get a whole pack of 'em that it becomes a problem. Also, this unit for whom our thread is named is apparently the "viper" unit in XCOM2. So...I guess you can dress up a snake lady in a suit and there you go.

Every thin man unit is armed with a plasma carbine--more damage than the sectoid's plasma pistol, and more importantly, more aim. People get annoyed at getting drilled through full cover by thin men (and outsiders), and it's not just because of the unit's high base aim. It's because they come stapled to a gun that further boosts their aim.

And, with thin men, it's especially deadly because of their special ability set.

Each thin man can use acid spit, which creates an acidic cloud anywhere the thin man wants with like radius 2 tiles within sight. This is actually less awful than the poison spit ability they had in vanilla. What poison did was cause any impacted unit to take 1 HP damage/turn until either it died (tough luck; it's a random chance to break poison each round) or it succeeds in its random poison check. Against acid you will only take damage if you take any action (moving, shooting, reloading, overwatching) other than either hunkering down or literally doing nothing (i.e., hitting the "end turn" button).

But that's only the damaging effect of thin man vomit. Any unit impacted by acid will have its aim reduced by a hefty margin--unless you're a shotgunner and at point blank range, you're useless if covered in acid. Also, your movement and grenade/rocket radius drops to useless levels. If you're acided, you're not going to do anything of use with your rockets or grenades. Oh, and acid also removes any damage reduction you have. Huddled up behind high cover and wearing some armor that negates a point or two of damage? Tough luck if you're covered in acid! That's why you see so many units get killed out of full cover by a thin man--the cover's defense bonus applies, but if the shot connects, you're taking full damage.

Also, the reason thin men can vomit acid on you seemingly at will? Because their entire body is made of it. Any thin man that dies explodes into an acid cloud. Another reason to worry about running your shotgunners up to close range--entirely possible the game's physics cause the body to rebound toward you and now you're covered in acid. (This can sometimes work to your advantage if you've got a clumped-up group of enemies and you strategically kill a thin man from a direction likely to cause him to acid his buddies. An acided alien will take the same penalties that an XCOM unit does.)

To make matters worse, thin men have muscle fiber density, otherwise known as "jumpy legs." Whereas XCOM and most other terrestrial units have to find a ladder or a drainpipe to climb someplace, thin men just go :woop: and suddenly they've leapt 20 stories in the air. Ever played with the dragoon's "ignore height" ability in FFT? It's like that. In a game where high ground matters a lot, it's really bad. You'll get easily outflanked by a thin man, and they're tough to get away from on a city block. While you're running around buildings, they're running through them.

How to Kill Them: Thin men have really low willpower, and are highly vulnerable to psionic attacks. But you won't have any of that early in the game. Suppression will keep their acid spit from having the same crazy radius it ordinarily does, and a suppressed thin man can't do much to you other than get lucky and shoot you through cover and suppression (it happens more often than I care to admit). But, generally, thin men aren't afraid of overwatch so if you can't control a thin man with a flashbang or suppression, you're best off trying to entirely break line of sight and make them come and get you. You will lose an extended firefight against a thin man, either because he'll acid you and tilt the odds in his favor, or because it'll take long enough for more dangerous aliens to show up, and now you have to focus on the thin man just to keep from getting the crippling acid debuff on your squad.

Carrying a medkit, whether it's been used or not, will convey partial immunity to acid. You still take the aim and damage reduction penalties, but not the movement or damage penalties. That's why you'll see me spamming medkits on all my units in April-May. There's also an inexpensive (and especially so given our Deus Ex start) genetic modification that'll convey complete immunity to acid. Better still, the thin man AI isn't aware of it so if you bunch up your troops you'll present an attractive "I SHOULD PUKE ON THIS" target for a thin man, and now he's wasted his turn because you're totally immune to his nonsense. I'm extremely looking fowrard to doing that.

...oh, and thin men pod leaders can get some truly unfair abilities like squadsight and lightning reflexes.

In conclusion, thin men are complete bullshit and I hate them.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

FairGame posted:

In conclusion, thin men are complete bullshit and I hate them.

To be fair, that map glitch is usable by your guys too if you give them jumpy legs. But yeah, after watching two scouts get pegged, dodging four overwatches at once is a bit of an insult.

Also, are you reloading by clicking the weapon graphic in the corner? I have played literally a thousand hours of EW and Long War and had no idea that was a thing.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Akratic Method posted:

To be fair, that map glitch is usable by your guys too if you give them jumpy legs. But yeah, after watching two scouts get pegged, dodging four overwatches at once is a bit of an insult.

Also, are you reloading by clicking the weapon graphic in the corner? I have played literally a thousand hours of EW and Long War and had no idea that was a thing.

1.) Yeah, UFO geography is weird. Walls that aren't walls, flanks that shouldn't be flanks. Usually you don't know they exist until it kills you.
2.) Yep! I don't think I've ever used the "reload" button now that I think about it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Thin men are great, I love their animations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
I continue to be alive and to occasionally kill things! Sorry as I am that German Me doesn't have Australian Me's crazy mobility, it looks like she has a better chance of hitting the broad side of a barn. Fair trade, IMO.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

I love how Private Limbaugh's debut sortie has him missing a 79% shot right off the bat, then going on to be a mediocre infantry. :xcom: if I ever saw it.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Man, seeing you go how you want more Interceptors when you have 8 already really tells me why my Long War was so miserable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's not your fault and in a better game he wouldn't have to do this. The air interceptor game is literally dice roll RNG, and it can have an enormous impact on your game. A bunch of bad rolls early on means you're on the backfoot for the rest of the campaign, and God help you if the aliens manage to keep kicking your rear end, because they get better and your airmen don't without getting confirmed shootdowns.

e: megane what the gently caress another mission where you're slamming out kills
ee: bradford's line about vahlen is so sinister. I wish Vahlen was in xcom 2, I missed having her around to do war crimes for us :(

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 27, 2019

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010
Just found this thread, and very much enjoying it so far. Long war always looked interesting, but I never had time for an extended campaign.

I'll throw my name into the meat grinder if you need some extra troops. Sniper preferred, but put me where you need me.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I loving hate this map.

e: gently caress this map has me sweatin' what a gnarly mission this is

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 28, 2019

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

At least in this universe Pash lives. severely injured but alive.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dang, that mission was dicey as hell.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Coffee has no reason to die with all that HP. And explosives.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fairgame I am very worried that you're putting me into a terror mission and I can only hope I make it out the other end alive

I'm also kind of surprised you haven't gone for the splash holo targeting build, I had a lot of fun with that in my game.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Achmed needs a nickname commemorating this insane dash to the meld once she reaches the requisite rank.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

Achmed needs a nickname commemorating this insane dash to the meld once she reaches the requisite rank.

crazy "nine lives" achmed

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Popularly known around base with a head shake as “Nine lives and thirty meld”

Also I get to go on the dangerous terror mission with no motion tracker! :confuoot: May my rockets cleanse our path.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

KNOW YOUR ENEMY: THE FLOATER

I haven't covered Seekers or Drones yet, even though we've seen both in the campaign now. Enemy biologicals are a little more interesting to talk about, given that all the strategy around drones boils down to "shoot them" and seekers boils down to "overwatch forever, unless you are in a rush for meld" (which we are, so I'll do an in-depth seeker discussion at some point).

Floaters are simultaneously terrifying and easy, and the main reason that April becomes, as per the last episode title, "Shotgun Month."

It probably sucks to be a floater. Their body is that of one of the enemy units we'll be seeing later in the game, only with various limbs chopped off and replaced with a jetpack and cybernetic implants. I rather doubt comfort of the subject factored into the aliens' decisions to field this unit. And, perhaps this never-ending agony is why floaters occasionally just do stupid poo poo that ends up making it very easy to kill them.

Floaters have a little bit more HP than a sectoid--on par with a thin man, typically. Unlike thin men, however, they can, well...float. Or fly. And that's where things get dicey.

An enemy in flight cannot be flanked--and it gets a 30 defense bonus to make flying not dangerous. 30 defense is the same cover bonus you get from low cover in Long War. Except...we can destroy low cover. Or suppress something and then run around to flank the low cover enemy. You cannot do that with a flying enemy. You have to just shoot it.

But...there's pretty much no weapon XCOM can carry early on that will one-shot a floater even if it connects. And "even if it connects" is a problem given the aforementioned inability to set up flanking shots and thus negate the 30 defense. Add in the fact that there's a 20 aim bonus if your height is significantly above your target, and getting into a shooting match with a floater will usually end up with dead XCOM soldiers.

Floaters also are the first unit we've encountered that can go on overwatch immediately upon being discovered, rather than running for cover. Meaning you should make sure you're blue moving into cover, because if you blue move into the open and discover a floater who goes on overwatch, you're in a lot of trouble.

They also have the "launch" ability, which requires both their blue and yellow move. If they're not blocked by a roof or suppressed, they can just take off and immediately land (land; they aren't flying when they come back down) on any square on the map. Which seems incredibly dangerous--and indeed it is if you're playing multiplayer. You can suppress with one floater and move another floater to a hidden position where you can get an easy flank next turn, and really just wreck your opponent's position.

But floaters aren't generally as smart as a human player. It's almost always a boon when a floater uses "launch" because it'll just put itself in an easily-flanked position where you can wreck it. Even if you can't see where a floater went after launch, you can usually guess where it is and set up a flank.

In other words, the biggest weakness of the floater is the floater's stupid AI. You can exploit the hell out of it.

How to kill them: A shotgun blast at close range will negate the flying penalty with aim, and also probably do enough damage to kill the floater. You should have at least 2 shotgunners if not more on every mission in April and May, and not stop carrying shotguns until you've got some combination of laser weapons, reliable snipers with the deadeye (+15 to hit flying targets) perk, or a squad where like everyone has suppression.

Because floaters are TERRIFIED of suppression and overwatch. If you overwatch against a floater, it's not going to move. In fact, there's a decent chance it won't even shoot back--it'll just go on overwatch itself. Suppressed floaters will behave the same, typically.

So if you can get someone into high cover and then overwatch, you'll have pinned every floater, in all likelihood. Maybe some moron will use "launch" and put himself into an easily-killed area, but it's rare you'll see a floater charge through overwatch to mess you up.

Try your hardest not to ever fight a floater inside a UFO, because they'll do obnoxious stuff like "fly just high enough so they can see you and shoot at you from atop an awning, but you can't see them to fire back.

And try not to use explosives on them--floaters carry more meld on their corpses than other aliens, presumably on account of their being horrifying cyborg abominations. Shotguns, overwatch, suppression are enough to deal with them.

Oh, and if you see a floater with more HP than his buddies, there's a good chance he has the "covering fire" perk, so if it goes on overwatch you should make your first action come from your scout so that you don't get ripped apart by an overwatch shot you didn't plan for. The floater autopsy is gated behind some research most playthroughs won't complete that early, so using "how many HP does this guy have relative to his buddies" is a good heuristic in the interim.

...in XCOM2, floaters look a lot less horrifying as the elegant "Archon", and also have this dumb rear end in a top hat who is ludicrously unfair and I hate him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just notice that started back up and RIP me. Two kills under my belt before I died and I started with 5HP. lmao, but that's XCOM baby.

Thanks for avenging me Cythereal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What are those green gas pods that look similar to MELD containers in combat maps?