Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

:xcom:
:siren: Just skip the first 10 or so missions; they were recorded with terrible video quality. It gets better, and there are over 200 videos in this damned series by now. So if you're thinking of watching--I assure you it gets a lot better relative to what the original set of March missions looks like.

:siren: The audio fixes itself by month 2 also. I didn't know what I was doing when I first started the LP!

Hi! I'm going to be exceptionally stupid and start a campaign of a game that takes about 100 hours to complete and that's before I start worrying about stuff like video, which I've never had to do before. This is a great idea and definitely won't blow up in my face!

We're going to play XCOM: Long War. It's a complete overhaul mod of XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within, and while it makes things ball-breakingly difficult at times, it scratches an itch for tactical play that no other game has ever managed. When you lose at Long War, it's usually something you can learn from. When you win at Long War, you earned it, and it's an accomplishment.

Truth be told, I've never actually won a Long War campaign. I've had a campaign on Brutal (2nd hardest difficulty) and Impossible (hardest) that were well on their way to wins, but the former I lost interest in after deciding to grind up all my best soldiers to have the ultimate psionic ability which in no way is required to complete the game. The latter I lost to a game-breaking bug where XCOM suddenly had its base and all missions take place on the North Pole, where aliens couldn't reach, so the game ended up in this weird null state where neither side could make progress. So if we win here, it'll be a first for me!

But we'll be playing on Classic (the "default" difficulty, the second-least-difficult of a 4-part difficulty scale) because I want to give the thread some chances to make decisions and toning down the difficulty will enable me to deal with these decisions.

How is Long War different from XCOM Vanilla?

Well, uh...for starters? It's a lot longer. A vanilla campaign you could finish in a couple dozen missions. In Long War, you'll run that many missions over about 6 weeks of in-game time.

How is it longer? The research tree is massively expanded--both in the time it takes, as well as just inventing brand new projects. There aren't 3 tiers of weaponry anymore--there are 5. You can research alien spacecraft so that you get better at fighting them. There aren't 3 tiers of armor anymore--there are, uh...also 5? Maybe 6? Armor gets weird and is more a tactical choice rather than weapons where you generally just want to take the gun that does the most damage.

You get 6 soldiers instead of 4 at the start, and can expand up to 8 (vs. 6 in vanilla).

Instead of XCOM: EW's medals system that gave minor bonuses to a couple soldiers, you get an officer corps, which is essentially a character class unto itself. Soldiers led by a good officer are a lot stronger than soldiers without one.

Turning your dudes into horrifying mechanical abominations that can pilot battlesuits is still incredibly strong, but it's also expensive as heck and difficult to do. Oh, and those mechanical abominations? There are 8 distinct classes of them--based on the 8 (instead of vanilla's 4) classes for soldiers.

The aliens launch a bazillion UFOs at you, and it's all you can do to keep up.

And so on. Like I said, it's a complete overhaul. If your only experience with XCOM is the vanilla version, this will look like XCOM, but all the details will be completely foreign to you. I'll explain them as I encounter them, but if you have questions, bring 'em up in the thread.

THREAD PARTICIPATION

Participation will be somewhat limited, since there really isn't that much to vote for. Things you can all do, though:

1.) Want to be a soldier? Lemme know and I'll start renaming people. I can't guarantee what class you'll be, or whether I'll use your soldier a lot (some soldiers have lovely stats) or if s/he will die a horrible death. But you'll do that.
2.) What should my opening strategy be? This'll require some explanation.

In XCOM, you rely on your research team to improve your technology in order to better fight the aliens--both on the ground and in the air. Eventually you'll research everything, but your research order early on is of the utmost importance. If you don't have a coherent research and build strategy the first few months of the campaign, you will likely end up dying horribly later on. There's no reward for being a generalist. I don't think any of the strategies are appreciably better than others, though some make the early game easier. All of them are viable and will give you advantages at various points in the campaign.

Depending on what strategy the thread votes on, that will also determine the base bonus we get for our starting location. You could, in theory, choose a given research strategy that doesn't synergize (or worse still, conflicts with) with your starting location. But I'm not going to let you do that. So, here are our options:

A.) RUSH LASERS!
This is probably the least original of the starting strategies. Laser weaponry is the first and easiest research bonus you can acquire. Laser weapons do more damage than their ballistic counterparts, are relatively cheap to build, and more importantly, give a bonus to aim. That's important given that early on, your rookies and low-ranked soldiers can't hit the broad side of a barn. Further, rushing lasers unlocks the laser cannon--which is an enormous upgrade in power and accuracy for your interceptors. Still, laser cannons are incredibly expensive to build and you can't carry the air game on them alone. Most of the laser rush is about getting stuff for the tactical game.

B.) RUSH ARMOR AND DISPOSABLE ROBOTS!
This is the other obvious opening, since armor takes precisely as long as lasers do to develop. We won't hit the aliens any harder with an armor rush, and we'll be on ballistic weapons until a good ways into summer. But if we develop a good armor game, we'll give our troops the ability to not die horribly in combat, and keeping people off the wounded/dead list is a good way to quickly get a solid barracks of experienced troops together.

You can also develop the Alloy SHIV with this strategy. The Alloy SHIV is a ludicrously expensive (in both cash and resources) piece of technology that gives you a drone to take into combat instead of a soldier. It has a giant fuckoff cannon that does a ton of damage on the rare occassion that it actually connects, but more importantly it's built like a brick shithouse. A ton of HP, and the aliens will spend their time shooting at it instead of your soldiers.

C.) RUSH MECHANIZED TROOPERS!
This isn't really a "rush," per se. It'll take a little while, in fact. But if you streamline your research to the point where you go for horrible cyborg abominations instead of literally anything else, you can end up fielding incredibly powerful (and expensive) units by June, about 3 months ahead of when you'd normally be able to field them. Given the units the aliens are fielding at the time, it allows you to snowball pretty quickly--very few aliens can stand up against the power of a mechanized trooper if played properly.

Of course, this also means you're going for several months without any meaningful upgrades. If you survive until June you'll probably have a good time, but it's also likely to SUCK doing the first 4 months of the campaign using the same gear you had since the first mission.

D.) RUSH GAUSS WEAPONS!
This one's similar to the mechanized trooper rush. You basically skip everything, including the first weapons upgrade, and jump to the 3rd (of 5) weapon tier. Your strategy involves turtling in your opening continent as you spend your income on nothing but labs and workshops--the former so you can roll out your new tech more quickly, the latter so you can actually afford to create the new tech. Then you buy an upgrade to your interceptors that turns one of the starting weapons into a monstrously powerful railgun, and suddenly your lovely interceptors are annihilating all but alien capital ships.

Again, though--you're really going to struggle early on with this strategy, and you'll be fielding a LOT of shotgun-wielding troops since shotguns still do a ton of damage by summer.

E.) RUSH GENETIC MODIFICATIONS!
To be honest, I'm not sure this will work. But I'm willing to try!

The same resource that can be used to turn your dudes into horrible death cyborgs can be used to make minor modifications to their genetics. Things like "get an aim bonus after you miss," or "leap 30 stories in a single bound," or even "give massive combat bonuses to the entire squad when you kill something."

None of them are as powerful as a mechanized trooper, but they're also nowhere near as expensive. For the amount of resources it takes to field 1 mechanized unit on every mission, you could give 1-2 useful genetic modifications to your entire roster.

F.) RUSH ALIEN CAPTURES!
If you played the vanilla version of XCOM, this strategy existed there, too. As part of the plot, you have to start tazering aliens in order to capture them and interrogate them--which in turn lets you figure out where their base is. You also get the alien's weapon (though you can't use it without a TON of research).

Tazering aliens is a lot more difficult in Long War! For starters, the tazer that you get only has 1 charge per mission, whereas it had 2 in vanilla. Further, its hit percentages are typically coin flips, unlike the 70-90% chances you'd get in vanilla. And, inexplicably, the tazer is super heavy and slows your troop carrying it down quite a bit. Which is important because you can only taze aliens at CLOSE RANGE!?!?

But with a bit of luck, if we start our game with trying to taze aliens, we'll get a jump start to our research game, get some extra cash (you can sell the alien weapons on the black market), and also set up some really valuable trades with the XCOM council--giving you experienced soldiers in exchange for kidnapped live aliens.

Given the alien units available early on, this'd probably become a de facto laser rush since one of the aliens you can interrogate early on gives you research bonuses toward lasers.

G.) RUSH PSIONICS!
This is another one I've not tried, and I'm not 100% convinced will work. But I'll give it a whack.

As part of the plot, you need to develop at least one psionic trooper in order to reach the endgame. In fact, successful campaigns of Long War typically end up getting extended by a month or three just because you have to develop that psionic to a ridiculous degree. So, in theory, if we started our psionic game early and managed to keep him/her alive the whole time, we could end this faster.

But...psionics are kind of a pain in the butt. The research for them is pretty easy and quick, and the resources to train psionics aren't even that tough. But the way psionics work in this game is you stick a guy in a training chamber for a week, and maybe he comes out having learned a cool new mind trick. Or maybe he doesn't. Meaning there's a decent risk of having our limited stock of reliable soldiers stuck in training tubes and not even learning what they're supposed to.

But if it works? A good psionic is a game-changer in most missions. Some of the scariest units in the game have absolute rubbish mental defenses, and a psionic can exploit this to great effect. A team of psionics can make it even better.

So...think it over, and then vote on the initial strategy. Once you've got that in mind, you'll also need to vote for the starting location of XCOM.

Unlike vanilla, where you'd get a continent bonus based on wherever you stuck XCOM HQ, in Long War you don't get a continent bonus until every country on the continent has satellite coverage. Each country has a minor bonus, though--nothing worth getting terribly excited about.

The starting country for XCOM, however, offers a rather powerful bonus. This is not a complete list of starting locations, but these are the ones I'm willing to consider for the LP.

North America Starts: North America is probably the "best" continent to start on. Covering the entire continent gives you a 25% reduction in air game costs, and that's really important.
1.) Canada: Advanced Preparations--Start with a workshop and a lab pre-built. Great for getting research off to a fast start. The workshop is in a really stupid location, though; I'd probably end up tearing it down.
2.) Canada: Cadre--Start with 4 corporals (moderately experienced soldiers) in the barracks. Basically allows you to bring teams of 5 rookies + 1 corporal to every mission in the first month, and have everyone come home alive and promoted. Good for jump starting your barracks depth.
3.) Mexico: Wealthy Benefactor--Start with an extra $500 spacebucks at the start of the game. $500 is far less in value than some of the other bonuses you can start with, but $500 in liquid spacebucks is ENORMOUSLY useful at the start. It lets you get the entirety of North America covered with satellites in month 1, which in turn means you'll have an easier time in the nightmare that is the air game.
4.) Mexico: Ancient Artifact--Start with an Illuminator Gunsight small item. I've never tried this! But an item that gives a massive aim and critical hit boost AND gives you one of the better DPS perks in the game seems like it might be pretty useful early on when your troops can't hit the broad side of a barn. It's a good enough item that I'd be using it even at endgame (you get it naturally through the plot toward the endgame anyway; we'd get 2 in this playthrough).
5.) Mexico: Legacy of Uxmal--Psionic training chances are boosted by +20%. That's an additive bonus, not a multiplicative one. So someone who has a base 50% chance of learning a skill will have 70%, not 60%. Takes a bit of the randomness out of psionic training, and this'd be a good start for us if we decide we want to rush psionics.
6.) United States: Special Warfare School--90% reduction in Officer Training School project costs. Over the course of the game, this will save you like $1500 space bucks, which is enormous. But it doesn't actually save you much money early on. Still, it means you will always have top-notch officers and you won't ever have to delay your officer game so you can spend $ on other things.
7.) United States: We Have Ways--75% reduction in alien autopsy and interrogation time. If the thread votes for rushing alien captures, we're taking this bonus. It's an amazingly good synergy.

South America Starts: South America only has 2 countries in XCOM: Brazil and Argentina. Which is kind of wasteful since you're able to cover 3 countries with satellites after you do your first satellite expansion. Covering the continent gives you a significant discount on base power generators, which is really helpful early! Power is a massive chokepoint early on, and the more robust power generators are crazy expensive. Getting a single thermo generator up early on will solve all our power problems for quite some time!
1.) Brazil: Jungle Scouts--Start with 3 item slots instead of 2 on all the early-game armors. This is a really good bonus provided you know what you're doing. You lose the bonus as soon as you upgrade to the next armor tier, and carrying 3 items slows you down quite a bit. But if you use the tier 1.5 armor as well as the "instead of dying, you slowly bleed out" item, you can end up getting just as much HP as the tier 2 armor, spend less money, have just as much mobility, and push your research to other topics. And, for the dudes who won't ever be facing fire unless something has gone horribly wrong, you can load them down with aim and damage-boosting items.

...I will not take any of the other SA starts; they're all otherwise bad.

Africa Starts: Africa is the combination of Nigeria, Egypt, and South Africa. Getting all 3 allows you to cheaply build workshops and labs, saving you a lot of resources and speeding up your research game. Next to North America, I think this is the best place to start. There are a lot of viable starts in the continent, too, such as...
1.) Egypt: For the Sake of Glory--Start with the "Advanced Repair" foundry project, which drastically reduces repair time on equipment and aircraft. It's the aircraft repair time that's a big deal, since you can keep the same birds in the air against UFOs to a much greater extent. That means less money spent on replacements (which is also true of the North America bonus), but also a smaller and more experienced core of fighter pilots (which isn't true of North America). The more kills a fighter pilot has, the better s/he is at getting more kills, so you can snowball the air game this way. Doesn't do a thing for you on the ground, but it goes a LONG way toward making the early air game more tolerable.
2.) Nigeria: The Old Path--Every troop starts with +1 mobility. You'd think this wouldn't matter, but mobility is an ENORMOUS deal in XCOM. You'd be surprised how many missions are made a ton easier if you can reach the next full cover without having to dash, or the next node to hack, or an incredibly good flanking shot. And more mobility also means you can more readily get the alien Meld canisters on most maps, which is a huge boost to your resources.
3.) South Africa: Resourceful--Start with the "Alien Metallurgy" and "Advanced Salvage" foundry projects. The former means you get more alien alloys (a resource that most gear will use, and will prove a chokepoint otherwise). The latter means you get more weapon fragments (a resource used for research, and will prove a chokepoint otherwise, though not to the same extent as alloys). This is a powerful bonus that you won't ever really appreciate because it's hard to notice NOT missing something. A far more common experience is unlocking research to make some nifty new gun or armor and then saying "drat, I don't have the alloys to make this; I wish I'd spent the resources on the relevant foundry projects!"
4.) South Africa: Survival Training--Start with +1 HP on each soldier. Simple, to the point. It's not as good as it sounds, since +1 HP isn't a real big deal by month 3 of the campaign. But early on, it can mean the difference between life and death in the event someone eats a nasty shot, and it also means most of your soldiers can afford to wear lighter armor with greater mobility.

Europe Starts: Europe is comprised of Germany, France, the UK, and Russia. Getting all 4 (which takes a while) unlocks the "Wealth of Nations" bonus, where your monthly funding is increased by 20%. Powerful, but not really as a first country. Honestly, by the time you get the bonus, $ is the one resource you tend to have in abundance.
1.) France: Quay D'Orsay--Council requests occur 40% faster, scans for Exalt (an alien sympathizer faction we'll run into sometime in month 3 of the campaign) cost 40% less, and the ability of allied countries to boost their panic resistance is increased by 40%. This bonus is insanely good, and far and away the most powerful bonus in the game, in my opinion. Council requests = more engineers and scientists and $. Which means you can make new items faster and cheaper, and then sell the remnants on even more council requests. Meanwhile, each time you do so, countries become better able to resist the influence of the aliens. This is kind of "easy mode," and I'd only consider using it if we're doing a Gauss or Mechanized unit rush.
2.) UK: Their Finest Hour--all interceptors start with the "Penetrator Weapons" foundry project. I'll go more into air combat later, but basically each alien UFO has damage reduction on a percentage basis. Penetrator weapons allows you to ignore a portion of that damage reduction, which in turn lets you use your "can't penetrate reduction for poo poo, but does a ton of damage" missiles. Basically, if you played New Vegas, this perk is Shotgun Surgeon and lets you keep using shotguns against the alien equivalent of raiders in light to medium armor.
3.) Russia: Roscosmos--start with a second satellite uplink, and the base cost of satellites is $100 instead of $200. Allows for incredibly rapid expansion, but not as good as it sounds. Even though your base is in Russia, your aircraft base is still right in the heart of Western europe, and it takes FOREVER for an interceptor to get into Russian airspace. As a result, you'll fail a lot of interceptions over Russia. I'm fine taking this, but I'll probably abandon Russia early on and then spend my satellite money in North America or Africa, only returning to Russia once I can reliably down UFOs with a single interception.

Asia Starts: Asia is comprised of Australia, China, Japan, and India. Australia has the same problem as Russia does when it comes to interception time. India's not much better. Getting all 4--again, difficult to do so--unlocks a bonus that makes foundry projects cost 25% less in terms of resources AND $. It's an enormously powerful bonus, and if you can unlock it by midgame suddenly you can snowball your research.
1.) China: Deus Ex--gene modifications cost 50% their base cost, and take 50% the time to complete the mod. If we're going for a gene mod rush, this is the start for us. I won't consider any other start if that's our research priority.
2.) China: Wei Fumin Renwu--start with a workshop and a repair bay pre-built. Not really that interesting, but it does lead to some savings early on.
3.) China: Xenological Remedies--alien corpse/wreck sales are worth 2x their base value. Great for getting cash, though it's more a constant $ bonus as opposed to the early $500 that Mexico can give you.
4.) India: Jai Jawan--start with the "elerium afterburners" foundry project, granting increased interception time. Also start with 2 extra interceptors. The extra interceptors are nice and you'll almost certainly want them before month 1 is over anyway. Elerium afterburners helps solve the interception time problem. It's a good bonus, though the "normal" bonus for putting a satellite over India without it being your base is probably the best in the game, so the downside is that we wouldn't ever see that bonus. Still, if you want us to start in Asia, this is a great place to do it as we'd be able to support Australia and India without too much headache.
5.) Japan: Ghost in the Machine--start with 2 SHIVs in the barracks, and all SHIVs have +10 aim. This is enormously powerful early on, since anything that gets shot by a SHIV (a little robot drone) will die immediately. And +10 aim means a LOT of things are going to be getting shot by SHIVs. But it also means that we have to be careful about relying too much on SHIVs and not letting our soldiers level up. A great start if we're doing an alloy SHIV rush. But, honestly, even the basic SHIV will keep our soldiers from dying until summer.
6.) Japan: Kiryu-Kai Commander--start with a master sergeant in the barracks. That's the highest rank in the game, and you wouldn't see such a high-ranked soldier until month 7 or 8 of the campaign otherwise. Such a soldier is easily capable of soloing any mission early on. The problem? That soldier is still limited by the equipment available to XCOM early on, and could eat a crit and miss a lot of time in sickbay (you'd have to be trying pretty hard to get such a soldier killed, but getting wounded is absolutely a possibility. And even if s/he isn't wounded, fatigue is still an issue and they'll need to take time off between missions.

So...yeah. That's a lot to decide on! Have a look and let me know. We'll get started tonight!

FairGame fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MISSIONS
MARCH, Year 1

APRIL, YEAR 1
:siren: My video capture was crappy and killed the rest of this campaign, so we restarted. I don't want to show you all March again, so the new campaign takes over at the start of April. Details of the new campaign are here.
UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

MAY, YEAR 1

JUNE, YEAR 1

July, Year 1

August, Year 1

September, Year 1

October, Year 1

November, Year 1

December, Year 1

January, Year 2

FEBRUARY, YEAR 2

March, Year 2

:siren: Bonus Episode :siren:

APRIL, YEAR 2

MAY, YEAR 2

June, Year Two

ALIEN DOSSIERS
Sectoid
Thin Man
Floater
Seeker
Mechtoid

XCOM CLASS DISCUSSION
All MEC units
Medic

MONTHLY SUMMARIES
March, Year 1
April, Year 1
May, Year 1
June, Year 1
July, Year 1
August, Year 1
September, Year 1
October and November, Year 1

FairGame fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 9, 2020

POsibr
Nov 14, 2017

These go to eleven, Keith.
Cool! Long War seems like something I would enjoy far more if someone else went through all the pain.

I would like to name a soldier, please. Name him Keith Richards and I don't really care what class he is, since he'll outlive even the roaches in the nuclear apocalypse.

As for the strategic chocies, go for ARMOR. Chems and stimulants would be the obvious choice for Keef, but since that's not an option, I'll stick with survivability, in order for our soldiers to actually have a chance of gaining experience. Start in France, for tax reasons.

EDIT: poo poo, didn't notice the last sentence in the France description. Go for Nigeria, our soldiers will be rolling stones.

POsibr fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 4, 2019

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
I hope you have more luck than I did with this Long War playthrough. I quit after losing a squad of corporals and rookies to a dlc mission. they were hopelessly outclassed, but they were all I had available. I had 6 missions in 7 days. XCOM was exhausted.

Anyway, Cambrian Obelus signing up for XCOM. I hope he lives through this game, so make him an Engineer or a Sniper.

Let's rush for Lasers. The more aliens we kill, the more loot we can sell. Lasers will also allow our troops to hit the aliens, killing them before they can kill us. This should improve our survivability in the first few months.

All the starting bonuses can be replicated or surpassed by playing the game, all except movement. That will always remain valuable, even to the last mission. So lets base ourselves in Nigeria.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Long War is great, I was sad when the last one petered out. Feel free to name somebody expendable after me and then get them killed on the first mission. e: If you have a choice, I love shotguns.

My vote is for MECs and Nigeria.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

voting for tasers/alien captures and starting in Russia

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Rush MECs (since I love those goofy, doofy mechanical apes) and start with Mexico: Ancient Artifact since you said you hadn't tried it yet, so let's see how that goes!

Please name a soldier, let's call him Gavin McIntyre. His nickname is "Angus" but not because he's Scottish, it's short for "annoying new guy, you suck" because everyone hated him in basic. He can be whatever class.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Nigeria sounds like a good edge to have while we rush MECs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I enjoy watching someone competent play Long War, hate playing it myself.

Volunteering and going with the Nigeria and rush captures.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Sign me up. (hahaha "if s/he will die a horrible death." sure)

This is a huge undertaking and I hope you have no major plans in the next couple years, but honestly I really enjoyed the Long War play-through I did and it'll be fun to watch someone play it differently.

Nigeria's mobility bonus is fun: running faster lets you do some fun/risky moves, which I think will be better for watching. I don't have a strong opinion on the tactics; I rushed straight for Gauss weapons but it'll be more interesting to see a different game.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, we're doing Nigeria's mobility for our base start. There's less unanimity in what the research path should be, and other than a psi rush, I think Nigeria is flexible enough that anything can be an option. Right now, MECs and captures have a lead, but it's not insurmountable.

Not starting tonight because the little USB thing for my headset cracked when I plugged it in. LP curse getting started early, apparently. But hey, more time to vote, I guess.

edit: fixed; I'll get an update up tomorrow.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 5, 2019

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Think Rush lasers

Faster we kill aliens, faster our men are not as likely to try and smother the aliens in a fieldof our own corpses.

I'll take Natalie Corps Callsign 'NumCrunch'. Given the rate of troopers we'll go through, numbers get crunched. Her's likely among them. Will take Assault because shotgun to the face.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rush Mecs because I want to see you suffer (in the early game).

Start in Egypt.

Sign me up as a Heavy who pre-emptively volunteers for mekanization.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Sign me up, private Achmed reporting to get horribly killed for duty! Egypt sounds like a cool place to start too. But let's rush lasers so we can actually kill some aliens with any degree of reliability.

Lost and Delusional
Aug 27, 2010
Sign me up, any class is fine. Seems like the extra movement from Nigeria would help with getting up close and personal, so let's rush captures.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

We have started in Nigeria, and I will attempt to rush MECs. That’s enormously dependent on how much MELD (will explain later) I’m able to get in the first three months, as well as how many scientists I get.

Both of those have some measure of RNG associated with them, so we will also rush captures (all but one tech on the capture tree is on the MEC critical path as well, and two of the early captures will get us research credits that make MEC or lasers easier.

And all of this requires mostly the same base setup, too.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I have no idea how many decades of LPing it'll take but I'm enlisting for the long haul of dying on the first mission for missing a 85% chance to hit

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Sign me up too please; preferably a class that is more on the "bang bang kill aliens" side, as opposed to the "hunker down and keep causalities to a minimum" side

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Haha, a MEC rush sounds like a ton of fun! Good luck.

If there is still room, throw my name into the ring. Whatever class, specialization, or gender is fine.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Johannes Taslin, signing up for duty! Preferably as some form of officer, but barring that any class is acceptable.

Epochol
Mar 19, 2009

Sign me up to protect humanity. I say Rush Lasers.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I'm always up for XCOM threads. Rush Mechs and sign me up as MAX Caliber, hopefully to end up as a robot at some point.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I did the opening mission, which I'll get up tonight (unless recording went awry, I suppose; I didn't have time to check it before work.)

XCOM1 doesn't have the "character pool" feature of XCOM2, so everyone signing up has to be manually renamed from an existing soldier. Since the opening mission takes place before you can access the barracks and start renaming people, it's just a handful of rookies with randomly generated names. Be patient with me; the opening is a little weird and doesn't allow for customization.

But you start with 40 soldiers (It's, uh...39 now) and need well more than that to have a stable barracks that can handle the glut of missions. So anyone signing up right now is going to easily have someone in the barracks to represent them. And they'll see a decent amount of action. Unless they die.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I love the concept of long war, but I've also never finished a game, will be interested to see how it changes things in the back half of the game.

Also, Sign me up, Sniper if possible.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Sign me up if there's space! As a female, if possible. I'd like to be a sniper, but I'd rather be a lady.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Sign me up as a rocketeer with low aim, high scatter and a high tolerance for friendly fire.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm going to say Rush Lasers because that was my strategy when I played the base game like five years ago. Also Sign me up but use a female soldier because I have made some interesting personal discoveries in the last 18 months. May my wisdom in battle be better than my wisdom in picking usernames :j: Scout was my favourite class but at a glance infantry looks kind of neat, or medic

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 5, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I WANNA BE A ROBOTMAN

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm going to say Rush Lasers

At the very least we should have a soldier named Rush Lasers. :hellyeah:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well that's just dramatic irony waiting to happen right there.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I VOLUNTEER FOR A SUICIDE MISSION SIR!

Please make me some sort of front line guy...

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
sign me right the gently caress up, preferably to die horribly for the cause!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Pash posted:

I VOLUNTEER FOR A SUICIDE MISSION SIR!

Friend, around here we just call those “missions”.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Sign me up please, I've had terrible luck with this type of thing before. Also I'm very curious as to what Long War is actually like, I've not even completed Enemy Within yet.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
Sign me right the heck up! Please and thank you!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sign me up! I'm an engineer, to keep things consistent.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
What the hell, sign me up too, I’ve never been in one of these!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I'm going to go ahead and throw my vote to Rush MEC to see how it's done.

I'll also sign up...but as one of your fighter pilots.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ModeWondershot posted:

I'm going to go ahead and throw my vote to Rush MEC to see how it's done.

I'll also sign up...but as one of your fighter pilots.

Don’t know how to customize fighter names, so it’s ground troops or nothing.

Audio was lovely (as in not audible; I suspect the current audio is lovely even if it’s useable) so I’ve restarted ep1. No deaths this time. Update soon, and thanks for your patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think if you go to the fighter's loadout screen there's a Rename button.