Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

wizzardstaff posted:

The cans are all over the table in a different place in every shot. When they open a can it's closed in a later shot. Is this an intentional middle finger to the concept of continuity or is it just really that bad?
His general animation ethos has always been "continuity is a suggestion at best, you should redraw things however you want moment to moment to allow for a loose flow". This both produces results that can charitably be called "interesting" while also generally hindering the scheduling and budget of production. A lot of people will say it worked with Ren and Stimpy because he had a professional studio behind him allowing him to pursue this design ethos but, well, Ren and Stimpy has aged like poo poo and wasn't really ever particularly good, just an interesting curiosity. Also, Nick fired him because they couldn't deliver episodes on time and the show went on without him. His refusal to stop dying on this hill of "gently caress continuous design" has alienated him from large chunks of the animation industry due to his attitude and that was really before people took him being a sex offender/sex assaulter seriously. That was the big thing a lot of people needed to stop associating with him on top of "he's bad at creating content on a schedule".

So in short, it's both and thankfully this is the most work he gets these days besides whenever someone missteps and hires him to do something or he gets crowdfunded contributions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm going to go through the F&F at some point later (so thanks Hostile V) but the new Paranoia is up on Bundle of Holding, is it worth grabbing for $super cheap just to get some stuff to use in XP?

Also the fact that XP no longer has XP printed on the cover or anywhere makes this discussion annoying.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Normally I'd say turning into a berserk fish monster is pretty apolitical, but it generally tends to impact lower-class peasants who are more vulnerable to attacks by berserk fish monsters.

So what I'm hearing is 'fish monsters vs cruise ships'.

Now that I think about it, I think I ran that game with the oWerewolf using the Rokea splatbook about 20 years ago. But that Bitcoin cruise would make a fantastic sequel...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

food court bailiff posted:

I'm going to go through the F&F at some point later (so thanks Hostile V) but the new Paranoia is up on Bundle of Holding, is it worth grabbing for $super cheap just to get some stuff to use in XP?

Also the fact that XP no longer has XP printed on the cover or anywhere makes this discussion annoying.

If it really cheap it’s worth it for the mutation/secret society cards.

As a said in the F&F thread, the only funny joke I remember from the entire edition is that the box is white and the label on the box is matte white, making it virtually impossible to read.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like grassy gnoll said, that's Dan Schneider. He was fired from Nick, but they gave him a $7 million dollar parting gift. In "sex creeps tied to classic Nick productions" there's also the seminally disgusting John K (Ren & Stimpy's creator), who also like to prey on underage girls.

And most recently there's Chris Savino who is the creator of "The Loud House," a show that has won awards for its inclusion and quality. Savino himself was of course fired for being a sex pest, a well known secret in the industry for several years.

One assumes that it has a terrible fanbase the likes of which rival Kim Possible as Nuns with Guns said but I'm just going to assume and not look.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I really have to say it's not worth it because, well.
1: the game was designed so you can buy all the playsets and toys. There is little to no real definition for the environment and culture of Alpha Complex besides that it's a dystopia at Peak Resource Consumption in active free-fall. They want you to get the Secret Society and Mutant cards to add more to the base game and there's a lot of stuff that doesn't show up in the core game because it's content-gated behind stuff in the expansions. Core book has "Commies are sad that Friend Computer views terrorists as a bigger threat to the Complex than them" while apparently other stuff says there's a full-blown ideological schism between the Communists that breaks them down into four squabbling factions. This stuff also isn't in the bundle.
2: for what's in the Bundle I can't say it's worth it.
  • The form pack is meh, you might be able to use that for stuff.
  • The GM screen is incomprehensible. That's the point. It doesn't make it useful by any metric.
  • The Guide to Alpha Complex is a player's handbook that explains some stuff about Alpha Complex but not in a clear way that you'd find in XP in the bits you're "not supposed to read".
  • Yellow Clearance Black Blues is just yet another update of that scenario to this edition.
  • The Red Clearance book contains the introductory mission chain for new players and a barely updated version of the Whitewash scenario. Comparing the two is a huge illustration of how tonally different this is from XP when they try to bring back a minor "the Complex has a bureaucratic SNAFU" mission from XP that is Whitewash vs. the introductory missions which have you fighting a pirate ship in a cafeteria flooded with pudding crewed by a guy who calls himself Infrared Beard.
I admit I don't have much information about ROUS or Implausible Deniability besides that the latter is very much a chain of missions as things escalate from bad to worse and the former is about Outside which had zero presence in the core book.

There's a lot of old XP modules that frankly aren't very good or are too caught up in being fiddly little disaster sandboxes with pre-built behind the scenes backstories and you'd be better off scavenging through those for inspiration. The new edition has a huge tone problem in the form of "it's all three at once in a Straightly collapsing Complex" and that definitely colors...everything else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

King of Solomon posted:

Yes, yes, you don't think Japanese people are capable of making good cartoons, and that's somehow not racist. Whatever you say, dude.

People not thinking a thing is good isn't a form of bigotry you loving imbecile. Not all animes are the same but enough of them have commonalities that it's perfectly reasonable for people to not like the whole based on those common elements.

Christ, I know you anime fans love to play victim when people don't like the same things you do, but this is beyond the pale. You've somehow moved to a more offensive argument than saying people who don't like anime don't respect japanese culture.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

People not thinking a thing is good isn't a form of bigotry you loving imbecile. Not all animes are the same but enough of them have commonalities that it's perfectly reasonable for people to not like the whole based on those common elements.

Christ, I know you anime fans love to play victim when people don't like the same things you do, but this is beyond the pale. You've somehow moved to a more offensive argument than saying people who don't like anime don't respect japanese culture.

You have a Gunnerkrigg Court avatar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Plutonis posted:

You have a Gunnerkrigg Court avatar.

Yes, congratulations on your ability to spot the contradiction between "Enjoying a webcomic that obviously has manga influences" and "being offended that someone would dare frame criticism of their hobby as a form of bigotry".

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Lurdiak posted:

Saying that you dislike all Japanese cartoons inherently is a hell of a stance to take, especially when you claim that it is not bigoted to dislike all Japanese cartoons. Like, for real! I have some issues with some of the recurring tropes in shounen action series and indeed as an increasing trend in all shounen genres, but that doesn’t mean that I think that a cartoon being Japanese automatically makes it trash, or that I think that all Japanese cartoons have the same issues and motifs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Jesus, shut up.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Take it to BSS or ADTRW dorks.

anyone played any extra light or one pager rpgs recently? I need to pad out my game backlog for nights when my full group can’t make it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Jesus, shut up.

You shut up!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

tokenbrownguy posted:

anyone played any extra light or one pager rpgs recently? I need to pad out my game backlog for nights when my full group can’t make it.

We played Honey Heist on free RPG day and my bear passed a crime roll to drift a box truck

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Since we gamed together once, is it cool if I plug my own game?

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
If you conflate the manchild infected scene and culture of anime with japanese culture as a whole you're both a creep and a racist. Hope that helps to the people defending extemely mild critiques of pretty problematic scene of manga and anime in the 80's and 90's with the multi-millenia cultural history of Japan.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Covok posted:

Never not post.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Slimnoid posted:

Oh holy poo poo this is bad. It's honestly uncomfortable to watch.

The video link got DMCA'd.

Should I be thankful I cannot watch it?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Len posted:

We played Honey Heist on free RPG day and my bear passed a crime roll to drift a box truck

Sound dope. I think my group will love it.

Covok posted:

Hell yeah buddy. Hit me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey everyone, I received a report about the thread being derailed by a lot of off topic posting. I know that this is a general discussion thread but I would appreciate it if you would please keep in mind that there are other subforums for lengthy discussions about things like anime and TV.

If you could also keep the level of discourse above "shut up" that would also be helpful.

If it continues to be a problem feel free to report offending posts and we'll take a look.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Sound dope. I think my group will love it.

Hell yeah buddy. Hit me.

Since we're buds, I'm giving you the game for free.

It's called Dungeon Bastards. It was loosely inspired by Rat Queens and me being very drunk in college. As in I literally wrote it drunk in one night.

Based off an earlier permutation of the basic ideas that would become powered by the Apocalypse, it's a rules light one shot game made specifically to play douchebag murder hobos rummaging around stiring poo poo. It's a game where you play a bunch of dudebros in a fantasy setting partying like a motherfucker. It's a game where you will do belly shots off Dagon while Cthullu eggs you on and your best friend is failing to get a threesome with Lythalia and a shogoth. They got weird tastes, but the rear end in a top hat is amazing at beer pong so you still hang with them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

仕方がない

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey everyone, I received a report about the thread being derailed by a lot of off topic posting. I know that this is a general discussion thread but I would appreciate it if you would please keep in mind that there are other subforums for lengthy discussions about things like anime and TV.

If you could also keep the level of discourse above "shut up" that would also be helpful.

If it continues to be a problem feel free to report offending posts and we'll take a look.

Officer, I'd like to order a McDouble with large fries and a hot apple pie

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like grassy gnoll said, that's Dan Schneider. He was fired from Nick, but they gave him a $7 million dollar parting gift. In "sex creeps tied to classic Nick productions" there's also the seminally disgusting John K (Ren & Stimpy's creator), who also like to prey on underage girls.

To be clear though: Kim Possible is a Disney Channel cartoon, and Totally Spies is a Canadian/French-produced cartoon that aired in a lot of countries, and I think was on that ABC/Disney cable channel in the US (can't remember what name it was or is going by now).

I've seen it aired on ABC Family, Cartoon Network, and I'm pretty sure even Nickelodeon had it briefly

grassy gnoll posted:

You're thinking of Dan Schneider, who was terminated right before it started to come out that in addition to being a raging rear end in a top hat with a foot kink, he was sexually abusing basically any female Nickelodeon personality between the late 90s and last year.

So, you're partially correct.

Officially I don't think anyone's found any proof that he did any direct sexual abuse, but he was definitely a creep

Dawgstar posted:

And most recently there's Chris Savino who is the creator of "The Loud House," a show that has won awards for its inclusion and quality. Savino himself was of course fired for being a sex pest, a well known secret in the industry for several years.

One assumes that it has a terrible fanbase the likes of which rival Kim Possible as Nuns with Guns said but I'm just going to assume and not look.

Savino was also responsible for the really bad seasons of Dexter's Lab

As for how terrible the fan base for The Loud House is, well let's just leave it at the fact that the main male character has 10 sisters and you can imagine where it goes from there

On the topic of stuff on Bundle of Holding, has anyone run Advanced Fighting Fantasy, cause it looks pretty neat

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you want good stuff on the setting, get the DOA Sector Travelogue from 2e.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

It's called Dungeon Bastards. It was loosely inspired by Rat Queens and me being very drunk in college. As in I literally wrote it drunk in one night.
Can I just note how for a few brief, shining years we had both Fell's Five and Rat Queens, and since then there's been a giant wasteland of anything similar, and that's pretty sad?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dwarf74 posted:

Can I just note how for a few brief, shining years we had both Fell's Five and Rat Queens, and since then there's been a giant wasteland of anything similar, and that's pretty sad?

Fells Five was so good

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Wasn't one of the creators of Rat Queens a poo poo who, despite leaving the project for being a poo poo, still had some ownership and got a cut?

Also Skullkickers was good, if nowhere near as good as Fell Queens/Rat's Five.

Len posted:

Fells Five was so good

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Wasn't one of the creators of Rat Queens a poo poo who, despite leaving the project for being a poo poo, still had some ownership and got a cut?
Yes, Rat Queens' original artist was a domestic abuser, and he was cut from the comic as soon as it came to light. His art style was so integral to the whole feel of the comic, though, that it died without him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Len posted:

Fells Five was so good

Yeah, I miss that comic a whole bunch. And John Rogers even kicks himself for going on hiatus at exactly the wrong time which is partly why it died.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Yes, Rat Queens' original artist was a domestic abuser, and he was cut from the comic as soon as it came to light. His art style was so integral to the whole feel of the comic, though, that it died without him.

The comic is still ongoing but the creative team has been reshuffled a number of times. Šejić did art for issues 9-10 while Kurtis J Wiebe stayed on writing. Tess Fowler did art from 11 to 16 and when she left she alleged Wiebe was angling to get Roc Upchurch (the domestic abuser) back as the main artist. She also said she had a sense that Upchurch never stopped having creative input on the series.

There was a bit of a reboot after issue 16 and Wiebe came back with a few different artists. The last two issues have been under a new writer and artist.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nuns with Guns posted:

The comic is still ongoing but the creative team has been reshuffled a number of times. Šejić did art for issues 9-10 while Kurtis J Wiebe stayed on writing. Tess Fowler did art from 11 to 16 and when she left she alleged Wiebe was angling to get Roc Upchurch (the domestic abuser) back as the main artist. She also said she had a sense that Upchurch never stopped having creative input on the series.

There was a bit of a reboot after issue 16 and Wiebe came back with a few different artists. The last two issues have been under a new writer and artist.
Wow, I thought it was just dead.

Are the new ones any good?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, I thought it was just dead.

Are the new ones any good?

By chance I just finished a read-through. It's not bad but it isn't as great as the early stuff.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Covok posted:

Based off an earlier permutation of the basic ideas that would become powered by the Apocalypse, it's a rules light one shot game made specifically to play douchebag murder hobos rummaging around stiring poo poo. It's a game where you play a bunch of dudebros in a fantasy setting partying like a motherfucker. It's a game where you will do belly shots off Dagon while Cthullu eggs you on and your best friend is failing to get a threesome with Lythalia and a shogoth. They got weird tastes, but the rear end in a top hat is amazing at beer pong so you still hang with them.

haha this owns, def gonna run a game. I like the passive vs. active moves, that's a simple way to signal importance as the MC .

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

tokenbrownguy posted:

Cthulhu Dark (including Dark Depths, which helps with scenario creation - you might also want to use pre-existing scenarios, which is what it was originally designed for)
Lasers & Feelings (there's also a bunch of simple hacks around for different genres, e.g. spy fiction, D&Desque fantasy, cyberpunk)
Pocket Danger Patrol (and Gamma Patrol)
GHOST/ECHO
Danger Mountain!
Everyone Is John
Geiger Counter Gamma
Gazetteer

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Awww yisssss.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

one thing i've never understood with traditional pnp roleplaying games is their total unwillingness to let players have cool stuff. I guess it's mostly a d&d thing, but every cool class feature is locked behind a ton of bullshit or has some awful drawback to make it useless, every player race option is some variant on 'no you can't be an angel, you have to be an angel-touched, no you can't be a troll, you have to be a troll-touched'.

you'd think Heroic Fantasy would let you be a bit more heroic. more modern gaming systems like Dungeonworld have much less trouble allowing players to do Cool & Fun Stuff right off the bat, but its taken a long rear end fuckin time for D&D to be comfortable with letting you even be a drow without having a crippling level adjustment (although i think people who play drow have it coming in this one case). There's a very miserly attitude amongst games designers it seems like.

I get wanting to have Progression, but surely adventurers should be a little bit extraordinary from the get-go?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

one thing i've never understood with traditional pnp roleplaying games is their total unwillingness to let players have cool stuff. I guess it's mostly a d&d thing, but every cool class feature is locked behind a ton of bullshit or has some awful drawback to make it useless, every player race option is some variant on 'no you can't be an angel, you have to be an angel-touched, no you can't be a troll, you have to be a troll-touched'.

you'd think Heroic Fantasy would let you be a bit more heroic. more modern gaming systems like Dungeonworld have much less trouble allowing players to do Cool & Fun Stuff right off the bat, but its taken a long rear end fuckin time for D&D to be comfortable with letting you even be a drow without having a crippling level adjustment (although i think people who play drow have it coming in this one case). There's a very miserly attitude amongst games designers it seems like.

I get wanting to have Progression, but surely adventurers should be a little bit extraordinary from the get-go?

My dude, I feel you, but were you asleep for 4th Edition? They gave you all sorts of cool poo poo to do right from level 1.

My single digit brawler fighter was routinely choke-slamming hydras and breaking giants' spines. It was amazing. (They made me stop having the Wrestlemania soundboard open on my laptop eventually, to my unending sadness.)

Sadly drow were not really handled any better than anywhere else with that whole thing where an Epic Destiny let you come back as *sigh* a pure white baby. I'm white as hell so don't want to over-step my boundaries, but I'm really curious how much better the drow fluff would be if they just made them albinos or something like that, since it's actually how underground things evolve and also, you know, not super loving racist.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

My dude, I feel you, but were you asleep for 4th Edition? They gave you all sorts of cool poo poo to do right from level 1.

*Unless you are an Essentials class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Imagine I put one of those Lion King memes with Simba and the elephant graveyard, except with Essentials.

The only good thing to come out of that was the Vampire. And not cause it was fun, but just because it added the 4th or 5th or whatever stupid high number it was possible to be undead. It was like dhampir revenant vampire lich and some other poo poo I'm probably forgetting?