Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Really though what they should just make is Terminator: How John got those scars.

Strictly a future war film set at night and based entirely off the flashback/forward visuals from T1/T2. Doesn't really need much of a plot, just lots of Terminators, lots of lasers, and skulls everywhere. No daylight, either. Be ballsy and make something without any threat or stakes, just an hour and a half slice of the future hellscape that's chaos from start to finish. Let George Miller have at it or something and maybe show some spectacle with how hosed and horrific the weather's become from the nuclear apocalypse as well, kinda like when they drive into the storm in Fury Road. Just keep it simple, absurdly violent and really horrifically bleak. Retroactively make the earlier films extra scary by fully showing what they've been fighting to avoid this whole time and maybe Kyle was one of the lucky ones compared to the majority of the resistance being radiation-riddled messes like Immortan Joe's followers in Fury Road, hence why he was initially chosen to be sent back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Zoran posted:

I think Skynet should send its machines back in time to un-cancel The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
"I bring you a message from the future."
"What is it? Do we reach the stars, or suffer nuclear self-annihilation? Do we cure cancer? Is my child destined for greatness? Tell me!"
[uncrumples paper] "...'Dump the three dots subplot'."

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Leaked synopsis for the next Terminator movie:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...You know, if Dark Fate is bad, it won't be out of character at least. I'm going through the old Terminator movies, and Rise of the Machines feels the need to establish that John Connor got laid at 13.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Cythereal posted:

...You know, if Dark Fate is bad, it won't be out of character at least. I'm going through the old Terminator movies, and Rise of the Machines feels the need to establish that John Connor got laid at 13.

I don't remember this detail from T3 but by Edward Furlong's portrayal, this is not a surprise development.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

iamsosmrt posted:

I don't remember this detail from T3 but by Edward Furlong's portrayal, this is not a surprise development.

It's in a bit before the car chase, when John's talking with the personality-free female lead whose name never registered with me the whole movie. They're talking about how John got drunk at a party and made out with the female lead the night before Terminator 2 started, and the lady says it was more than kissing. John then mutters about how he'd hooked up with her right before the timeline changed and so clearly they were meant to be together.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'd like a Future War movie that just follows, like, a random family and the low grade Terminators. Kind of like how T4 was supposed to be, but even smaller scale. Similar to how, if someone actually wants to make an Aliens sequel, just do "Hadley's Hope."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There are a thousand possible stories in the Terminator franchise, but the films will follow the Connor family until the heat death of the universe.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Tart Kitty posted:

There are a thousand possible stories in the Terminator franchise, but the films will follow the Connor family until the heat death of the universe.

Well, even Disney is starting to find out you can only follow the OT of Star Wars for so long until fans kinda get tired. Hopefully they learn like Disney had to after Solo bombed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

Well, even Disney is starting to find out you can only follow the OT of Star Wars for so long until fans kinda get tired. Hopefully they learn like Disney had to after Solo bombed.

What suggests that Disney has learned anything?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
It's unfortunate that Solo bombing caused Disney to pause their various Star Wars spin-off movies campaign. I didn't even think Solo was that bad. It wasn't aggressively terrible like The Phantom Menace or something. It just wasn't great or even particularly good, but it was ok.

I still don't completely understand Hollywood's compulsion to generally half-rear end everything and do things like throw big properties to directors who's only previous directing credit was an episode of the twilight zone, but I guess I'm starting to get it. They live and die by the box office, so when they just throw some poo poo together and it pays off that validates them just throwing some poo poo together, even if the general fan reaction is that the result is aggressively mediocre, or downright terrible. When it doesn't pay off, they sit around and wonder why just throwing poo poo together didn't work this time.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 25, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Disney pretty much put the brakes on Star Wars spinoff movies for the time being (though technically Episodes 7-9 are spinoffs) because they don't want to affect Star Wars' teflon status with the fandom, and it was generally clear that they made a costly mistake with the production of Solo and had to re-assess strategy in the film division. (TV continues to plug along). Probably we will get an Obi-Wan movie before too long, though what he would do besides sit in a hut and rub his beard remains to be seen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

I'd like a Future War movie that just follows, like, a random family and the low grade Terminators. Kind of like how T4 was supposed to be, but even smaller scale. Similar to how, if someone actually wants to make an Aliens sequel, just do "Hadley's Hope."

Basically just do a hard R all practical remake of Screamers but with some of the characters more clearly being robots from the beginning.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Just remake Colossus and call it Skynet: The Dyson Project

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There already made a future war movie in 1989, called Gunhed.

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v33284512Z7qfPnkM

It takes place a few decades after Skynet is defeated. One of the last remaining drones steals a nuclear power source and jumpstarts Skynet’s old central core at the same time that some scrap hunters break into the facility.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Ideally, I'd say scrap the nuclear war and time travel all together. Make it a present day or near-future film, where the Skynet is created but the modern day government decides that nuclear warfare isn't enough of a threat to spend the money developing it. Instead it's used as the brain of Cyberdyne R&D, who becomes an independent juggernaut thanks to the increasingly advanced tech they're pushing out to governments worldwide.

Essentially, flip the script from a Cold War-era AI villain to a more cyberpunk-style one. Have the heroes attempting to reach and destroy the neural net while meeting resistance from human guards armed with advanced weaponry, maybe culminating in a proto-terminator.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Disney pretty much put the brakes on Star Wars spinoff movies for the time being (though technically Episodes 7-9 are spinoffs) because they don't want to affect Star Wars' teflon status with the fandom, and it was generally clear that they made a costly mistake with the production of Solo and had to re-assess strategy in the film division. (TV continues to plug along). Probably we will get an Obi-Wan movie before too long, though what he would do besides sit in a hut and rub his beard remains to be seen.

Yeah, they need a better strategy than shooting a film and then having to go back and do a bunch of costly reshoots all the time. They had to bring in Ron Howard who ended up reshooting 70% of Solo. Rogue One: 40% reshot. Some minor reshoots are an understandable part of post production but reshoots that extensive are a huge waste of money to not just do things right the first time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Considering the state of the world today, Dark Fate should be about Sarah Connor realizing that Skynet was right, and is trying to get Judgement Day to happen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, they need a better strategy than shooting a film and then having to go back and do a bunch of costly reshoots all the time. They had to bring in Ron Howard who ended up reshooting 70% of Solo. Rogue One: 40% reshot. Some minor reshoots are an understandable part of post production but reshoots that extensive are a huge waste of money to not just do things right the first time.

My understanding of Rogue One is that it had a pretty interesting production style, where they would shoot the same scene in 3-4 different ways and then go with the version they liked, with the direct understanding that they would then use anything they liked from the cutting room floor for trailers. So it was completely intentional that the trailers were shit_that_didn't_happen.txt. For example there were multiple versions of the Vader/Ben Mendelsohn scene where they had Ben read the lines differently each time (Arrogant/Bootlicky/etc.) In addition to What will you do when they find you and the final boss is a TIE Fighter, among other examples.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Davros1 posted:

Considering the state of the world today, Dark Fate should be about Sarah Connor realizing that Skynet was right, and is trying to get Judgement Day to happen.

This would actually own. Defeating Skynet means everyone dies. Letting Skynet "win" means there are still humans living like rats, but they have a chance.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm wracking my brain and having a rough time with ways to make this franchise fresh again or making a film worth watching. There's too much baggage, time travel fuckery, and too much back and forth with what's canon and what isn't. The Alien franchise suffers from some of the same poo poo.

Somebody else mentioned it but the only way to even try is to make it more visceral, primal and simplistic to where The Terminator(s) are unique, unstoppable and relentless with some real stakes built in. The first 2 movies managed this well. T1 just had mindless unstoppable robot and T2 upped the ante with newer tech and some far out effects and even moe unstoppable robot. OK so far.

T3 was "what if we made a FEMALE Terminator?!" and poo poo went off the rails. Salvation was the next logical step - showing the war itself - but some how they hosed that up.

Here's an idea to make it scary again. Throw the timeline and continuity out the window.:

What if you do it to where a Terminator (any terminator) simply goes a little back further in time and goes after John or Sarah as a baby or as a very young kid? Not Ed Furlong young but an actual child or a toddler? That would raise the stakes and really up the vulnerability factor. Make it a period piece and show all the ways that fighting them off while caring for a very young kid really fucks things up since they have to tend to the baby's needs.

Basically remake T1 but set in any time period you want.

That makes the most sense for what Skynet would actually do, right? Just keep going back further until they got it right and eliminate the whole family tree? Set it during WW2, the 60's or the Civil War and have terminator(s) going after great great grandparents and poo poo. Make them fight these assholes with muskets and tommy guns or whatever.

I dunno. I just want the god damned Terminator to be terrifying again and, to me, the best way to do that is to make the targets more vulnerable than just coming up with more cool Terminator powers and revisiting this out of control, convoluted timeline that no one can follow. Or figuring out ways for Arnold to be in the movie.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I think the only way to "save" this franchise as far as new installments would be a complete reboot with a complete vision from the ground up. The current timelines and stories are just so hosed at this point, it might as well be cursed.

Cameron clearly wasn't thinking ahead for sequels and it's hurt the subsequent movies, aside from all the conflicting visions from each "clever" writer since.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

I dunno. I just want the god damned Terminator to be terrifying again and, to me, the best way to do that is to make the targets more vulnerable than just coming up with more cool Terminator powers and revisiting this out of control, convoluted timeline that no one can follow. Or figuring out ways for Arnold to be in the movie.

I want this and the story is Sarah trying to trigger Skynet. The Terminator is trying to kill her is a T-100 with basically the same directive as in Terminator 2 (prevent Skynet becoming self aware) but the same goal as T1 (kill Sarah Connor).

Maybe the twist is that the T-100 is programmed to think it is acting on behalf of humanity surviving (kill Sarah Connor, prevent Skynet) when in fact it is Skynet trying to wipe the board knowing it may very well survive the human apocalypse! I'd watch this!

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 26, 2019

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
One thing they could do (and this applies to a lot of movies) to make Terminators threatening is that if they touch you you're dead. None of this "picks up and throws against wall" crap. If one gets his hand on you it immediately crushes your neck like a soda can. Play up the inherent lethality of something with hydraulic presses for muscles.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

galagazombie posted:

One thing they could do (and this applies to a lot of movies) to make Terminators threatening is that if they touch you you're dead. None of this "picks up and throws against wall" crap. If one gets his hand on you it immediately crushes your neck like a soda can. Play up the inherent lethality of something with hydraulic presses for muscles.

That's pretty much already the case with the T-1000 and upwards models, though. Like, they have knife fingers, if you aren't a Terminator yourself your best chance is to just leg it when they come for you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggerBoat posted:

Here's an idea to make it scary again. Throw the timeline and continuity out the window.:

What if you do it to where a Terminator (any terminator) simply goes a little back further in time and goes after John or Sarah as a baby or as a very young kid?

That’s Terminator 5.

JBP posted:

This would actually own. Defeating Skynet means everyone dies. Letting Skynet "win" means there are still humans living like rats, but they have a chance.

That’s Terminator 4 (and arguably 5).

JBP posted:

I want this and the story is Sarah trying to trigger Skynet. The Terminator is trying to kill her is a T-100 with basically the same directive as in Terminator 2 (prevent Skynet becoming self aware) but the same goal as T1 (kill Sarah Connor).

That’s T5.

galagazombie posted:

"picks up and throws against wall"

That’s T1.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wow I never watched terminator 5 I'm sad they made my story bad :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

galagazombie posted:

salvation was loving horrible about this

amonst other things

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Again: in Terminator 1, the robot kills a dude by repeatedly tossing him into drywall and windows. Despite having a gun.

It takes an extremely long time because the armed killbot and the unarmed naked dude who just woke up moments earlier seem almost evenly matched.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again: in Terminator 1, the robot kills a dude by repeatedly tossing him into drywall and windows. Despite having a gun.

It takes an extremely long time because the armed killbot and the unarmed naked dude who just woke up moments earlier seem almost evenly matched.

It takes an extremely long time in contrast to the short work Termi makes of people before, but that was just him shooting people. There is never a question about the outcome of the struggle, it shows off that you can come at Termi and he will just throw you around until you die/he gets his gun and then you die.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I always took that as the terminator not caring enough to kill the guy right away. It tosses him away the way a person would move a piece of vegetation out of their path, but the guy keeps coming back for more. Eventually he proves to be a tenacious enough distraction for the terminator to decide "alright, fucker" and put him through a wall to get him to stop.

That's part of what made the original terminator so scary, he was always focused on his target. You could walk right by him on the street and he'd leave you alone, unless you were an obstacle or deliberately picked a fight. Even then he rarely used lethal force unless necessary - look at the biker in the phone booth who go tossed but didn't offer any resistance past that. About the only kill I can remember that's not a direct obstacle was the gun store clerk, but considering he needed those guns and didn't have money, I suppose it makes sense.

That's why muscles boyfriend gets smacked around the bedroom a few times, but the movie makes it very clear that if the terminator ever managed to get one hand on Sarah, she's finished.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This actually makes a lot of sense to me. Also I'd expect a machine to opt for conservation of a bullet for its target rather than wasting it on something/someone it can easily pick up and move out of the way.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

It's because the later movies forgot Terminator's are infiltration units. Going around leaving too many dead bodies is a hindrance to his task. The three Terminator assaults we see in the original, the future flashback, dance club and the police station, all follow that methodology. He lays low and doesn't cause trouble, and only then once his target is there does he activate attack-mode or whatever and start wantonly killing. In the end he seems to only kill when he has no other option. Even at the police station he tried asking nicely at first, only attacking when it was clear there was no other way to get to Sarah.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The police station attack, in retrospect, is an obvious plot contrivance, albeit not one that goes against anything previously established. The T-800 figures out his target is nearby, possibly immobile and without protection, and he can feasibly take out anyone or anything that gets in his way. The future war flashback shows us that Terminator units generally only care about infiltration to the extent that it gets them past security and into vulnerable areas where they can do maximum damage or get their targets within reach. But given the emphasis on infiltration, the T-800 could have just as easily waited for a cop to leave, kill him, take his uniform, make his way inside the station and assassinate Sarah with much less fanfare or attention. It could have waited for the cops to release Sarah or try to transport her somewhere else and taken her out then. It's not like the machine was in a rush.

I like the idea of the Connors having to work with Skynet because if they don't then humanity doesn't survive as something worse than Skynet arises. Or Skynet using modern internet infrastructure to turn every single device into a mini-Terminator or weapon could have some legs, although they used that idea in the 2nd Remembrance of Earth's Past book and it's not something that can sustain an entire movie I don't think. IMO the franchise is probably tapped out until Arnold and/or Cameron dies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Davros1 posted:

This is most likely the best out come if skynet always gets made. The more time there isn’t a judgement day the more time skynet can send back terminators. The resistance should be sending back scientists to speed up the creation of skynet so they can defeat it earlier and in the future war.

If skynet was really serious about wiping out humans they really should send the terminators back like 200 years. Liquid terminator could just conquer the would then force the remaining humans to build skynet.

Mat Cauthon posted:

The police station attack, in retrospect, is an obvious plot contrivance, albeit not one that goes against anything previously established.

He walks in though and asks to see her. After being refused entry he then goes on to attack the police station. The terminator doesn’t just drive into the police station right away.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 26, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Terminator where an organic network goes back in time to kill the savior of the ragtag band of surviving machines from a nuclear war with it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He also murders Dick Miller

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

In fairness, the police station shootout was tactically a good move. It's got her location pinned to a building that's designed to prevent escape and the only resistance between her and it are a bunch of cops who have no weapons heavy enough to inflict any real damage to it. Just like every other time it attacks, she'd have been toast if Reese hadn't intervened and followed his primary mantra of "don't stand up to this thing, just get away and keep running".

Trying to steal a uniform is unreliable (how many Olympic bodybuilders would the 80's LAPD have on staff that night), and honestly the terminator isn't very convincing past first glance once he moves or speaks. Letting them release Sarah would negate the advantage of having her cornered in a place she can't escape on her own, as well as drawing attention to itself if it's just skulking around the PD. So it goes in fast, ramming through the building and bringing intense firepower to bear before the police could recover and try to evacuate the station.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

It's unfortunate that Solo bombing caused Disney to pause their various Star Wars spin-off movies campaign. I didn't even think Solo was that bad. It wasn't aggressively terrible like The Phantom Menace or something. It just wasn't great or even particularly good, but it was ok.

I still don't completely understand Hollywood's compulsion to generally half-rear end everything and do things like throw big properties to directors who's only previous directing credit was an episode of the twilight zone, but I guess I'm starting to get it. They live and die by the box office, so when they just throw some poo poo together and it pays off that validates them just throwing some poo poo together, even if the general fan reaction is that the result is aggressively mediocre, or downright terrible. When it doesn't pay off, they sit around and wonder why just throwing poo poo together didn't work this time.

Should have let Miller and Lord make the heist movie they wanted to make.

I feel like a lack of investment in SW lore is part of the reason I feel cool saying that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wild T posted:

In fairness, the police station shootout was tactically a good move. It's got her location pinned to a building that's designed to prevent escape and the only resistance between her and it are a bunch of cops who have no weapons heavy enough to inflict any real damage to it. Just like every other time it attacks, she'd have been toast if Reese hadn't intervened and followed his primary mantra of "don't stand up to this thing, just get away and keep running".

Trying to steal a uniform is unreliable (how many Olympic bodybuilders would the 80's LAPD have on staff that night), and honestly the terminator isn't very convincing past first glance once he moves or speaks. Letting them release Sarah would negate the advantage of having her cornered in a place she can't escape on her own, as well as drawing attention to itself if it's just skulking around the PD. So it goes in fast, ramming through the building and bringing intense firepower to bear before the police could recover and try to evacuate the station.

And most of the people he shoots in the sequence are trying to shoot him. They present threats, albeit negligible ones.