Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Finally got through with this party. Hope next time I don't draw red mage with no other casters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pulled Black Mage/Summoner/Chemist/Oracle for my third run, this should be interesting, in 5 total runs I've only ever had one caster

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've only ever played ff5 once, for a fiesta a few years ago, but i'm ready to give it another go! rolled monk for wind, it's punch time

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jose Valasquez posted:

Pulled Black Mage/Summoner/Chemist/Oracle for my third run, this should be interesting, in 5 total runs I've only ever had one caster

Hahaha holy poo poo, that could not be a more murder-engine team.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Jose Valasquez posted:

You've inspired me

:toxx:

$25 up to a max of $250 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and a one of the wielder attacking NED

Turns out I"m bad at screenshots when I'm not recording video, and didn't actually get one with the damage printout against NED.

Honestly, between Break/Death chumping most of the really annoying randoms, and !White/!Black giving the berserker enough mag to make the Rune Axe actually worthwhile, the lack of a good Chicken Knife wasn't really an issue.

That said, this wasn't really a good group to let Mime really shine, since everyone (controllable) was rocking both !Black and !White. Inheriting the berserker's vit and HP, along with access to shields was nice, but the lack of a good endgame weapon was... less nice. (Sage Staff and Wizard Rod went to the pure mages).

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

:toot:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, that could not be a more murder-engine team.

Yeah, even if you don't want to mess with the absurd power of predict, you can just slap summon or mix onto the Oracle and laugh at the absurd magic stat.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

First run down! :toot:

Magic underflow'd Bartz was dealing 2K per target on every Quake proc, and triple Breath Wing let me wipe 30K HP per part right out the gate.

Next up is White Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger, and Dragoon.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Grats on the potential triple crown for the next run.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
I just got to the Forest of Moore with my poo poo team (Monk Red Geo Dancer) and I'm getting bored and so I'm going to go with a team of superheros from here.

I need a team that doesn't require a lot of grinding or farming or hunting because I'm strapped for time. I also missed stuff in W1 to do with any of the classes that weren't on my poo poo team. Also, I don't necessarily want an 'I win' button, something fun but leaning toward good. The stats/buff/debuff oriented classes seem like a good fit.

I'm thinking Bard (unless I missed any of the really really good songs? Also I've never played the class), Cannoneer (never played it but looks interesting), Time Mage and Chemist (because they're fun as poo poo to play and Chemist gets by pretty well even with items you can just buy).

eta also I can get myself access to all the jobs

blinking beacon nose fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 26, 2019

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

blinking beacon nose posted:

I need a team that doesn't require a lot of grinding or farming or hunting because I'm strapped for time. I also missed stuff in W1 to do with any of the classes that weren't on my poo poo team. Also, I don't necessarily want an 'I win' button, something fun but leaning toward good. The stats/buff/debuff oriented classes seem like a good fit.

I'm thinking Bard (unless I missed any of the really really good songs? Also I've never played the class), Cannoneer (never played it but looks interesting), Time Mage and Chemist (because they're fun as poo poo to play and Chemist gets by pretty well even with items you can just buy).

Bard is good; you've missed some of the really good songs (Romeo's Ballad and Alluring Air) which trivialize most random encounters (as well as Omega), but you can get all of the other ones, most of which are also really good. Time Mage is great; as is Summoner (and you haven't missed any of the important summons yet). Chemist is obviously OP but does require some grinding/farming/hunting which you seem to want to avoid. Cannoneer is an almost as good (and in some ways better) alternative but will take some time to unlock (or, if you've already unlocked via patch, you still have to wait a while before you can buy their shots). I don't think you've permanently missed out on any particularly significant Blue Magic either.

Ranger gets you !Rapidfire eventually, which combines with a fully powered Chicken Knife for some respectable physical damage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

agradine posted:

I don't think you've permanently missed out on any particularly significant Blue Magic either.

You can't permanently miss any Blue Magic, it just gets more and more restrictive to hunt down. Like, as an example, you could learn Level 5 Death in the Sealed Library from Page 64s who cast it every goddamn other turn, or you could wait until the very end of the game when Executors in the Wendigo Shrine might cast it. If they feel like it. Maybe.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

You can't permanently miss any Blue Magic, it just gets more and more restrictive to hunt down. Like, as an example, you could learn Level 5 Death in the Sealed Library from Page 64s who cast it every goddamn other turn, or you could wait until the very end of the game when Executors in the Wendigo Shrine might cast it. If they feel like it. Maybe.

Based on my experience in my last run Executors will cast Level 5 death almost every turn if it will kill you. Escaping the shrine with everyone at level 35 was a loving nightmare

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Another time mage, another quickleak.

Berserk staff strats with sammy evasion and quick. I did have characters who could've survived if they were in the back row with protect from the wonder wand, at least.

Exdeath got up to his eyeballs in debt. 3600 damage per giltoss at level 44, so I was hitting each part for 18,000 a round. Over 130,000 gil all told.

Neat-o wasn't as fun of a name as I thought it would've been. Maybe the 4th run won't have a loving time mage too. A man can dream.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

after slogging through my first run, I got something much more enjoyable, Monk/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Dancer and have actually been having a blast. I gotta ask: Dare I dream of the Triple Crown?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Madtrixr posted:

after slogging through my first run, I got something much more enjoyable, Monk/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Dancer and have actually been having a blast. I gotta ask: Dare I dream of the Triple Crown?
eugh

you have a way to damage omega (dual wield thundaga spellblade) but no way to cheese either of them, so you'd have to grind a large number of levels, but it's not actively bad per se

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Madtrixr posted:

You have plenty of ways to damage Omega, but very few (read: no) ways to lock him down. In addition, you lack an easy way of defanging Shinryu.

You certainly could triple crown, but it's going to involve a lot of level grinding and some additional preperations (Coral Rings/Ice Shield for Shinryu, mainly). Thus, it comes down to "do you want to do that much work for a shiny gear and heart".

e:f;b

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

eugh

you have a way to damage omega (dual wield thundaga spellblade) but no way to cheese either of them, so you'd have to grind a large number of levels, but it's not actively bad per se

Considering how Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer went, grinding is basically my stock and trade now

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Madtrixr posted:

Dual wielding Mystic knight on Omega, sure why not

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mp5 posted:

Dual wielding Mystic knight on Omega, sure why not

95% physical evasion is why not :v: Sooner go with fishing for Sword Dance so you can actually hit.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

95% physical evasion is why not :v: Sooner go with fishing for Sword Dance so you can actually hit.

how does spellblade interact with sword dance lol?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1143965622868553728?s=19

Good Friends fan representing.

This wasn't close at all

Boring as hell run (Sam Sam Zerk Geo). I realized soon that there's nothing for me in W3, sometimes I do the Fork Tower for challenge and to pick up odds and ends, but it was dire with this team. No synergy either.

I went into the Rift without having fought Gilgamesh for the Excalipoor, and that was my first time ever, because it was now that I realized he won't be there to blow up Necrophobe.

I went into the rift with too little healing, had 5 Phoenix Downs when ready for Nec AND NED; I declined fighting the former.

NED wasn't looking good, so I did what I rarely had to do before at this late stage: grinded for levels. Enough damage to race and levels to dodge some White Holes meant I had juuuust enough Downs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

how does spellblade interact with sword dance lol?

Same as it does normally. You get the +100 (doubled) for Flare blade, etc.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kyrosiris posted:

I thought spellblade weaknesses also bypassed evasion

I haven't gotten mystic knight in like 3 years

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Simply Simon posted:

I went into the Rift without having fought Gilgamesh for the Excalipoor, and that was my first time ever, because it was now that I realized he won't be there to blow up Necrophobe.

The Gilgamesh scene is a counter that Necrophobe executes against the attack that brings him down below 10k hp, so if you have a way to do more than 10hp in damage in a single attack, you can bypass that scene even if Gilgamesh is in the rift. There aren't a lot of options for breaking the damage cap, but it can be done.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

mp5 posted:

I thought spellblade weaknesses also bypassed evasion

I haven't gotten mystic knight in like 3 years

Nope, just defense (and an absolutely titanic attack increase).

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

KataraniSword posted:

I've been having trouble getting some without a source of confusion/control. White wind specifically.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I've been having trouble getting some without a source of confusion/control. White wind specifically.

The Dancing Dagger is a source of confusion. :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ultrafilter posted:

The Gilgamesh scene is a counter that Necrophobe executes against the attack that brings him down below 10k hp, so if you have a way to do more than 10hp in damage in a single attack, you can bypass that scene even if Gilgamesh is in the rift. There aren't a lot of options for breaking the damage cap, but it can be done.
Interesting!

Upside: Gilgamesh was also not waiting on the first Rift porter, so I got to skip some damage there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Weirdly enough, the majority of Blue Magic can be obtained in the Sunken Tower in World 3.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah sunken tower has unique encounter tables with all monster with blue magic and 100% run rate

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Second run on Random; starts with White Mage, then get Mystic Knight. Just in case I was planning on worrying about Almagest any time soon, Gilgabot apparently got me covered.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Huh. You're probably not supposed to have access to Open Fire before the Wind Shrine, are you?

I started over with the team Blue / Time / Bard / Cannoneer. I wanted the full experience. Go Team Green Magick! :discourse:

It'll be easy enough to catch back up to where I was (Forest of Moore), and even if it isn't it'll be fun as hell. But, I mean, just look at this glorious poo poo. It'll be easy and fun.

Gilgabot's already got my money for Team poo poo and I hadn't tweeted out any crystal update hashtags because I bought my entire team. At this rate Gilgabot's might just drain my entire bank account. Changing my mind for charity :)

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Fun fact: Open Fire appears to not counts as a physical attack for purposes of breaking confusion.

It might use level only for its multiplier like Combine does, which might cause it, but I'm not sure. The Advance algorithm FAQ only lists the Attack of each of the possible results.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
With Beastmaster and Blue Mage, you can learn L3 Flare in Barrier Tower by Catching a Neon, hoping it hits the person with a Reflect Ring on so that the Red Dragon is Reflected, then Control the Red Dragon, use L3 Flare, and have it hit a person with Learning and a level that's a multiple of three.

I recommend having multiple people instead of just one under that criteria, though. I also recommend not having a Berserker.

I got it done, but it probably wasn't worth it. Then again, I can use it against Exdeath!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
equip whips or equip bows on my thief?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Rangers have better strength than beast masters by a little bit, so probably bows. Bows have horribly accuracy without !aim, though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
WITNESS MY DOUBLE :toxx: GLORY

Poque posted:

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

COMPLETERS: Jose Valasquez, Darkoni

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

HARBINGERS OF THE DOUBLE APOCALYPSE:
*MagusDraco
*Procrastine
*1234567890num
*mp5

I am never...

...doing that again.

:laffo:

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Second run: Pure Chaos - Knight, Chemist, Beast Master, Monk

I really would like to get both Beast Master and Blue Mage on the same run some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Mega64 posted:

With Beastmaster and Blue Mage, you can learn L3 Flare in Barrier Tower by Catching a Neon, hoping it hits the person with a Reflect Ring on so that the Red Dragon is Reflected, then Control the Red Dragon, use L3 Flare, and have it hit a person with Learning and a level that's a multiple of three.

I recommend having multiple people instead of just one under that criteria, though. I also recommend not having a Berserker.

I got it done, but it probably wasn't worth it. Then again, I can use it against Exdeath!

You can also teach it to Azulmagia! :getin: