Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Full armor, jets, and arm mods only. Plus a LRM Stalker for backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Rat posted:

My career game took a strange turn last night. I'm at the point where I have mostly medium mechs, along with a Jagermech and a Dragon.

Convoy ambush mission, 2.5 skulls, I about poo poo my pants when I see that the enemy lance consists of a Highlander, a Thunderbolt and two mediums. The convoy was also likewise all heavy tanks, though thankfully no missile carriers.

Somehow not only won through the skin of my teeth, but also managed to incapacitate the Highlander's pilot, so I got the entire mech for salvage. :haw:

In my current game, the first time I seen an enemy atlas, I headshot it with the AC20 on a hunchback on the first round that he was in range. My lance became said hero hunchback, a pair of Thunderbolts, and the Atlas after that for a good long while. Slow but strong :getin:

I did have a laugh later on in the campaign, I have an Orion that I strapped all the LRM launchers I could to it and put a max tactics pilot in it. 55 LRMs a turn on a called shot is great fun from behind a mountain and he has like 600 missiles to play with. He stays far away from the fight because an ammo explosion on it would probably be seen from space.

Edit: vvvvv On said campaign I've got like 5 different thunderbolts that I rotate through to account for damages and different loadouts. It's absurd and all I really wanted was a catapult.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 25, 2019

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

When I get into the Heavy stretch of a campaign, Thunderbolts seem to be the most common Heavy mech I see. I'm not sure if that's RNG being RNG for me or if they're weighted to be more common but goddamn it gets bland.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

rt4 posted:

Plus a LRM Stalker for backup.

Even better LRM boat is the Highlander, which has 5 tons more dakka.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

DrPop posted:

When I get into the Heavy stretch of a campaign, Thunderbolts seem to be the most common Heavy mech I see. I'm not sure if that's RNG being RNG for me or if they're weighted to be more common but goddamn it gets bland.

At least they're easy to kill, since so many of them pack LRM ammo in the center torso.

DeathSandwich posted:

In my current game, the first time I seen an enemy atlas, I headshot it with the AC20 on a hunchback on the first round that he was in range. My lance became said hero hunchback, a pair of Thunderbolts, and the Atlas after that for a good long while :getin:

The little hunchback that could :911:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Rosoboronexport posted:

Even better LRM boat is the Highlander, which has 5 tons more dakka.

Which highlander gets 4 missile slots?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Rat posted:

The little hunchback that could :911:

Hunchie is a legitimately great robot, and in the early game it's a huge concern when it shows up in the OpFor, because it's got a shitload of armor in the stock build and one AC/20 can ruin your day

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
All the slower 50T mechs are great really. They all have good hardpoints and all have more free tonnage than anything under 65 tons.

Hunchback G has the AC/20 obviously :commissar:
Hunchback P is the ultimate ML spammer :sparkles:
Enforcer splits the difference between the two, with a ballistic hardpoint plus 5 energy hardpoints
Centurion A can also be built around a big AC, but I usually set it up as a 3xSRM6 shotgun
Centurion AL has 4 energy + 2 missile, which is fine too.

There's a flashpoint where you have to take 50 ton or less mechs up against a bunch of heavies, and if you stocked up on the good 50T mechs it's a godsend.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 25, 2019

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The fast 55-tonners are all quite good as well. Shadow Hawk does work when you mod it, so does the Griffin, Wolverine's a bit starved for hardpoints but still a solid robbit

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think the Cicada is the only medium that isn't at least "fine" but speed is worth way less in this game than having more free tonnage for guns + armor.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Pattonesque posted:

Wolverine's a bit starved for hardpoints but still a solid robbit

The Wolverine 6M is a good Mech, the 6R is just a Shadowhawk that gets a small buff to AC accuracy thanks to it being in the arm, but it trades that for being worse in every other conceivable way.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deuce posted:

OH HEY. AFTER OBJECTIVES COMPLETE THERES A PREVIOUSLY UNDISCLOSED TIMER BEFORE AUTOMATIC gently caress YOU YOU LOSE EVERYONES DEAD FOR NO REASON.

How did HBS make such a great game while also being the absolute worst at mission design? That's the first time I force-quit to reset on Ironman mode, that's just loving stupid.

ISILDURRRRRRR

(Mech falls over on its back, AC5s pumping round after round into the sky)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dumb poo poo like that happened in Shadowrun, too, but at least it made sense there. gently caress, I've pumped 200 hours into Battletech but I'd probably get more jouissance from another Shadowrun game

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Just as a heads up the battletech season pass is on steam sale for the first time in I think ever.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am the only person who just wants clan tech to be straight up better, though possibly very different from its original form. If only because missions don't offer me a challenge anymore.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you could salvage clan tech then that wouldn't achieve anything (other than making IS missions even more of a joke).

Making clan tech straight-up better but not letting the player use it would certainly be a bold move on the part of the developers.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Jabor posted:

If you could salvage clan tech then that wouldn't achieve anything (other than making IS missions even more of a joke).

Making clan tech straight-up better but not letting the player use it would certainly be a bold move on the part of the developers.

Yang locks the first Clantech you find in his lab, denies you access until he figures out how it works.

A month later, he gives the player access... to sell or trade it, with a stack of tech notes that can all be summed up as 'hosed if I know'.

Meanwhile everytime someone tries to run a diagnostic on that weird Light Mech they captured mostly intact, a remnant of the Locura somehow does the BT equivalent of deleting System32 on it, rendering it useless

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If there's one thing three decades of BT games have shown off, it's that people do not like it when you deny them agency in the mechlab. If they introduced Clan tech without giving the player access to it then people would be pissssssssed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think there's more fundamental issues HBS should be thinking about. Currently Battletech is balanced around the player getting special high quality equipment and using that to deal with 2-3 times their numbers. If the player is controlling the clans that still all holds. But if the Clans exist as a high-quality low-numbers OPFOR then that changes the nature of the game a lot (can the tacai do it justice? How and do you want to deal with the problem of the player climbing up the power curve to them?).

I think by far the most disappointing thing would be if clans just meant new mechs and tech.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Stravag posted:

Which highlander gets 4 missile slots?

HGN-733

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I think by far the most disappointing thing would be if clans just meant new mechs and tech.

This is what it's meant in nearly every iteration of BT, even the board game where the ideological side of Clan warfare was oft-ignored and people mostly just screwed around with the overpowered toys.

It would be cool if HBS took the time to engineer a way out of that problem and put it in the game, but I don't really expect them when nobody else has ever done it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Skippy McPants posted:

If there's one thing three decades of BT games have shown off, it's that people do not like it when you deny them agency in the mechlab. If they introduced Clan tech without giving the player access to it then people would be pissssssssed.

One of the best BT games of all time didn't have a Mechlab at all and only had hardcoded, custom built variants (Mechwarrior Living Legends). Not having a Mechlab solves so many problems it's crazy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A mechlab is kind of a like a ship designer in a space 4x, in that it does horrible horrible things to the game balance (and also the game design to compensate for that), but is simultaneously expected as a feature by a big part of the audience.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They have one big hook others don’t: pilot skills, both in terms of the active table abilities and the gunnery/piloting/tactics/guts numbers.

First off give clams a totally different skill tree. If it’s your typical IS vs Clan game those will be unavailable to the player so you can put some WEIRD poo poo in there without worrying as much about balance. Give clanners the ability to designate a single target for honor reasons, for example, that functions like sensor lock and gives crazy bonuses and super-weights toward engaging that mech. Stuff like that.

Second just flat out make clan pilots better. This is supported in lore and previous games. Where IS pilots cap out at 10 in each skill let clanners go up to 12 or even 15.

Finally do like MW2: mercs did and introduce clans in the late mid-game. By that time you already have some food pilots and decent mechs do running across a totally new tier of OP bullshit mechs piloted by rules breaking rear end in a top hat pilots isn’t insurmountable. It also puts the player back on the equipment treadmill. As it stands now once you get four assaults and a load out of good weapons you’re basically done. Imagine if your 2 crab, atlas, and cyclops lance all of a sudden became a mid-point and you were scrambling to salvage even better poo poo.

I think it’s workable in the current system, it just takes a willingness to bend the rules a bit. Which is something they’ve already proven willing to do, like with the SLDF mechs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

They have one big hook others don’t: pilot skills, both in terms of the active table abilities and the gunnery/piloting/tactics/guts numbers.

First off give clams a totally different skill tree. If it’s your typical IS vs Clan game those will be unavailable to the player so you can put some WEIRD poo poo in there without worrying as much about balance. Give clanners the ability to designate a single target for honor reasons, for example, that functions like sensor lock and gives crazy bonuses and super-weights toward engaging that mech. Stuff like that.

Second just flat out make clan pilots better. This is supported in lore and previous games. Where IS pilots cap out at 10 in each skill let clanners go up to 12 or even 15.

Finally do like MW2: mercs did and introduce clans in the late mid-game. By that time you already have some food pilots and decent mechs do running across a totally new tier of OP bullshit mechs piloted by rules breaking rear end in a top hat pilots isn’t insurmountable. It also puts the player back on the equipment treadmill. As it stands now once you get four assaults and a load out of good weapons you’re basically done. Imagine if your 2 crab, atlas, and cyclops lance all of a sudden became a mid-point and you were scrambling to salvage even better poo poo.

I think it’s workable in the current system, it just takes a willingness to bend the rules a bit. Which is something they’ve already proven willing to do, like with the SLDF mechs.

Aside from making the clans a mid-late game challenge escalation, I'd probably require double parts to salvage any of their poo poo, or gate salvaging clan tech behind expensive/time-consuming research, or something like that. Otherwise you can just headshot a Mad Cat and close the tech gap in the time it takes to type this sentence.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 26, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The correct way to do clans is for you to be a clanner, and every mission be hard mode because honoure demands you be tonnage restricted and outnumbered, and IS salvage isn't worth a drat.

Also the mission briefing is always wrong because the opfor randomly brings in reinforcements.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Clan tech should probably just be better like it is in the tabletop. And they should expand the scale (8-10 mechs/units on the player side) and consider introducing something like Battle Value (BV, tabletop Battletech's "unit points" system) for balancing.

While there are issues with Catalyst/FASA's implementation of BV (Clan pulse being super undervalued, JJs being overvalued, etc), I trust that HBS could do right by it.

Using tonnage as your primary means of balance in a BattleTech game isn't generally a good idea; it's barely functional at the 3025 tech level and falls apart the moment you start introducing any more "advanced" tech.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 26, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Conspiratiorist posted:

The correct way to do clans is for you to be a clanner, and every mission be hard mode because honoure demands you be tonnage restricted and outnumbered, and IS salvage isn't worth a drat.

Also the mission briefing is always wrong because the opfor randomly brings in reinforcements.

"Why do they never honor the agreement to knife fight in lights :negative:"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

DrPop posted:

Clan tech should probably just be better like it is in the tabletop. And they should expand the scale (8-10 mechs/units on the player side) and consider introducing something like Battle Value (BV, tabletop Battletech's "unit points" system) for balancing.

The current turn system implementation falls apart with increased scope.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

The current turn system implementation falls apart with increased scope.

How so? It's not that much different than the tabletop, but moving and shooting are done in one swoop.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Turn based tactics games with too many actors naturally tend to become super loving tedious.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

how would that be different to the game now

the point is that actually if you just make the player a clanner then a lot of the things the game currently does that are a little unsatisfactory become 'working as intended'

e: EVASION STACKS DISAPPEAR WHEN YOU GET SHOT. This is why the game fundamentals start to break when you start to scale up the numbers, a key survival mechanic stops being a survival mechanic.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 26, 2019

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I played a battle+ mission with 2 allied lances and 2 enemy opfor. The match took forever and quickly became a situation where I was watching the computer decide it's next move more than deciding what I was going to do

More of that sounds unfun

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Is there anything useful you can do with a DRG-1N? I picked it up after the Panzyr mission in campaign and I'm curious if it can do anything or if it's just an immediate sell-off.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hypnobeard posted:

Is there anything useful you can do with a DRG-1N? I picked it up after the Panzyr mission in campaign and I'm curious if it can do anything or if it's just an immediate sell-off.

Put Dekker in it, lose the lrm and add small lasers. Fill up your armour. Run at people AC/5ing them, then punch.

The Dragon is sad because it sits between the Kintaro and Quickdraw and isn't as good as either of them, but works perfectly well as a stopgap/reserve mech.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Alchenar posted:

Put Dekker in it, lose the lrm and add small lasers. Fill up your armour. Run at people AC/5ing them, then punch.

The Dragon is sad because it sits between the Kintaro and Quickdraw and isn't as good as either of them, but works perfectly well as a stopgap/reserve mech.

Dekker took off to go join Kell's Hounds in my campaign, amusingly enough.

I've already got a Quickdraw, actually, which I've packed with ML and an SRM6 for icing. Should I be doing something else with that?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Hypnobeard posted:

I mean, it is USABLE, but it's not great.

If you use jump jets it has less usable tonnage than most medium mechs, because it takes 1 ton jump jets instead of 0.5 ton jump jets. If you don't put jump jets on it then it can carry 1 more ton than the 55T mediums in return for worse initiative. Its hardpoints are also not so great. Its main claim to fame is 90 melee damage, but a Shadow Hawk does 85.

Hypnobeard posted:

Dekker took off to go join Kell's Hounds in my campaign, amusingly enough.

I've already got a Quickdraw, actually, which I've packed with ML and an SRM6 for icing. Should I be doing something else with that?

The Quickdraw is kind of :effort: too, but ML+SRM spam seems like the best use for it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, too many friendlies means too many enemies, and too many enemies means with even mild focus fire you could lose a 'mech a turn with no real recourse.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

sean10mm posted:

I mean, it is USABLE, but it's not great.

If you use jump jets it has less usable tonnage than most medium mechs, because it takes 1 ton jump jets instead of 0.5 ton jump jets. If you don't put jump jets on it then it can carry 1 more ton than the 55T mediums in return for worse initiative. Its hardpoints are also not so great. Its main claim to fame is 90 melee damage, but a Shadow Hawk does 85.

The Quickdraw is kind of :effort: too, but ML+SRM spam seems like the best use for it.

Yeah, I dumped the Dragon in storage as a backup. I haven't bothered to get a second mech bay yet so it's not worth keeping it together.

The Quickdraw was the heaviest mech available to me prior to getting the Dragon so I stuffed Behemoth with Coolant Vent into it. I do like the speed, but it's definitely light on the armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Quickdraw is probably the best 'tank' mech that you put a pilot with bulwark in and use to absorb fire until you can get your hands on a thunderbolt or two.