Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Does time pass when you "See who, around" and then "Look for someone else"? Can you spend years waiting for Mr. Right?

Anything that isn't traveling or resting is a free action as far as I know. You can trade, hunt, fish (unless your old ISO is glitched like mine), gather plants, view your supplies, and talk to every single person around without a second passing. I believe the people you can talk to are randomly generated and many either don't say anything except one line (usually about getting a move on), tell you about their lives because this is an educational children's game, or give you bad advice if you ask them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

SelenicMartian posted:

Does time pass when you "See who, around" and then "Look for someone else"? Can you spend years waiting for Mr. Right?

No time passes, but there's only ever two or three people.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Whelp, time to race to the end before someone "wins" the super poison roulette I guess. Ford.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fording gets us across, but we encounter a new obstacle immediately after:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Double-team has never failed us.

Unless it has, in which case double-team is due for a win.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Double-team it up that hill.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Lighten the load ,all that cornmeal is weighing us down.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Truthkeeper posted:

Lighten the load ,all that cornmeal is weighing us down.

Voting for this.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

I don't think it has failed us, which means we should keep doing it until it does.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

This one

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Double team

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Double team

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We make it up the hill to Hogsback Summit. This was usually the point in the Mormon Trail where pioneers broke down sobbing upon seeing how rough the trail ahead was. We're also lacking in potable water in these mountains and will need to gather some fruits and vegetables soon.

We encounter a new obstacle on the descent: mud.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
An angel visits our fever stricken pioneers, half their limbs immobilized to treat sprains, and tells them to use ropes and chains.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Gotta go with what has worked so far. Ropes and chains.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Just continue down the hill

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This might be a good situation for locking the wheels?

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

paragon1 posted:

An angel visits our fever stricken pioneers, half their limbs immobilized to treat sprains, and tells them to use ropes and chains.

Verily, I say unto thee, take these blessed ropes and chains for thine descent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So the main game folder contains a PDF of the Montgomery's journal! I'll post a download link because it's got way more detail on the bullshit the kids got up to and drawings by Jimmy.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Regarding the story of Captain Jed and the Montgomery children, and a little piece of history the game doesn't talk about and that Oregon isn't particularly proud of anymore, to quote the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.74152bf0eb85

quote:

In 1848, the territorial government passed a law making it illegal for any “Negro or Mullatto” to live in Oregon Country. In 1850, under the Oregon Donation Land Act, “whites and half breed Indians” were granted 650 acres of land from the government. But any other person of color was excluded from claiming land in Oregon. In 1851, Jacob Vanderpool, the black owner of a saloon, restaurant and boarding home, was actually expelled from Oregon territory.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not only do we lose precious supplies in a perilous spot on our journey, Meaty Ore is injured!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Clean and dress the wounds only because we have no salt to rub in them.

Why is that even an option.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
That's a serious problem. Why do we not have any salt?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Night10194 posted:

Why is that even an option.
This game is where you can let your inner sadist out to play, too.

Real answer - salt has been used for centuries as a primitive antiseptic as it has long been known as a preservative and anti-bacterial agent. Physicians in antiquity would use salt water (from the sea) to help clean and treat open wounds to prevent infection. It is incredibly painful though and even in the 19th century rubbing table salt into your cuts would've been much less effective than antiseptics already available, or even just high proof alcohol. But if you're in a pinch and salt is all you have it's better than gangrene. The study of microbiology would've still been in it's relative infancy at this time though and as a bunch of illiterate farmers and homesteaders we'd have no loving clue what we were doing, so trial and error by randomly applying whatever was around would be out best bet.

In reality you'd actually want to do all of what is listed below; treating any open wounds with an antiseptic, or an astringent if you wanted to slow bleeding, before cleaning then dressing the wound. Not sure why they are all separate answers. I guess just clean and dress the wounds seems the most logical here, since the others only imply you cleaning out the wound then leaving it alone so it can get dirty again in a few seconds.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, since we don't have any salt(which is concerning), guess we will have to clean and dress the wounds.

Dakona
May 3, 2014
Clean the wounds then cry into them for some trace salt healing. Then dress them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We clean and dress the wounds and try to move on...

...but it looks like having the whole goddamn wagon fall on Meaty Ore has given them bigger problems.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Why do we have no laudanum?!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We barely even have food. Make Meaty Ore comfortable, brace for death

Dakona
May 3, 2014
Continue as usual. Their death is assured all that is left is to make sure they get a decent spot at a mile marker.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Night10194 posted:

We barely even have food. Make Meaty Ore comfortable, brace for death

Malah
May 18, 2015

Make him comfortable.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Walk it off

I'd say take a salt tablet but apparently we are out of salt.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I would love to know how the hell you lose shoes and socks when a wagon topples over on a hill. Can’t you just like...pick them up off the ground?

Make him comfortable. The plus side of being the first dude who dies on an ill-fated expedition is that you at least get to die in relative comfort, unlike the last couple guys when everything is hosed beyond repair.

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that
Game's over, guys, we lost our tin cup.

Make him comfortable, at least until he dies.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Mhh, this doesn't look good at all. Make them comfortable, as I doubt that they are long for this world now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Keep going. They can get more comfortable when we’re digging a shallow grave for them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Keep going, they're dead but that way we won't lose any time.

MagusofStars posted:

I would love to know how the hell you lose shoes and socks when a wagon topples over on a hill. Can’t you just like...pick them up off the ground?
You'd pick up and wear a shoe that's been lying on the ground?!? :gonk:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Make them comfortable. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Is make him comfortable a euphemism for holding a pillow over his face to make this as quick and painless as possible? Because, uh..., if you have internal injuries/bleeding way out here in the wilderness we all know it's only going to end one way.