Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BaconCopter posted:

Are you telling me you didn't eat the tasty, but friendly and cool, crabs that were given to you?!?!?! :catbert:

Kinda sucked on it a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Squalid posted:

Kinda sucked on it a bit

That’s all anyone can ask for

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Aussie blueswimmer crabs are probably tastier than the mud crabs, but the meat ratios way off.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Isn’t that how marriages normally progress?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Kharnifex posted:

Aussie blueswimmer crabs are probably tastier than the mud crabs, but the meat ratios way off.

Agreed, and mud crabs are still darn tasty too so they'd really be a better bet to catch and eat.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Blue crab is definitely, as Jim Gaffigan put it, the 'pistachio of seafood' but they're absolutely a social event. If they're decent size crabs, you can get enough meat to be satisfied out of one or two, and they're typically sold by the dozen. Having to pick them apart slows the process down enough that it's the perfect food to hang around and bond over, especially coupled with beer. I've spent well over an hour or two, picking crabs and watching baseball games or just hanging out.

There's also a lot of diversity in flavor due to the brackish nature of the Bay and it's various tributaries. Depending on the salinity and water temperature, some areas have sweeter, some saltier, etc. Combine this with every restaurant having their own blend of spices they steam them with and you can get some interesting combos. One place in Baltimore added a splash of allspice and cinnamon to their mix, and it was actually pretty delicious. If you're not the picking type, crabcake is delicious, and fried soft crab sandwiches are amazing (if a little expensive).

Unrelated, but blue crabs are also the meanest crabs I've met and will basically pinch you just for being alive near them. The little ones hurt the most, since the serrations in their claws tend to be sharper.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What's the most beautiful, cheapest, hardiest, slime-eatingest, friendliest crab I can put into a saltwater aquarium?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wild T posted:

Blue crab is definitely, as Jim Gaffigan put it, the 'pistachio of seafood'

Oh so they're lovely and gross and I shouldn't eat them? :confused:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What's the most beautiful, cheapest, hardiest, slime-eatingest, friendliest crab I can put into a saltwater aquarium?

Pretty sure fiddlers are cheap. I'm only one of those dudes that likes to peruse the aquariums at a pet shop or something but it seems like everywhere that has an actual aquarium selection has fiddlers.

E: A little quick googling seems to indicate emerald crabs are a thing too, I guess they eat algae or something. Little more reading learned me that they're scavengers that will also eat algae but a lot of aquarium owners don't really have enough real estate in the tank for them to just feed themselves so it's smart to supplement their diet with these lil boogers or else they might eat a fish or some coral or something.

For real though I'm not an aquarium dude. There's prolly a drat good thread for them somewhere in Pet Island or something I bet.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 25, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Don't fiddlers need access to the surface to walk around on sand or whatever? That might be a cool tank to do

I had emeralds and they were very surly I should get them again

It was the pom pom that loved to aggressively attack fish tho those are the truly rad

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Do crabs breed in captivity? Or do they just eat and pinch and hang out livin the bachelor life

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Don't fiddlers need access to the surface to walk around on sand or whatever? That might be a cool tank to do

Yeah they gotta be able to dry out and get air and poo poo.

Lockwell
Mar 31, 2010

Danke schon, na na, Danke schon.

I live two days from the sea in any direction so I also add that to my list of 'not eating seafood' but whenever I'm around a shrimp ring it smells exactly like dead crabs!

There are a lot of reef safe crabs, I'm a big fan of arrow crabs.

Red scarlet hermit crabs are also very pretty, but as they get bigger they might start to harass snails to steal their shells.

If you want something a little more interesting, decorator crabs can be pretty docile, though they do like to nip at fish.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do crabs breed in captivity? Or do they just eat and pinch and hang out livin the bachelor life

Some do! It tends to be quite the hassle for a hobbyist to manage it however. Chances are if you see a crab at a store it used to live in the wild. Or a crab farm.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lockwell posted:

a shrimp ring

There's your problem

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I caught some dungeness today. Only two legal sized so tomorrow is crab and fish dinner.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wild T posted:

Blue crab is definitely, as Jim Gaffigan put it, the 'pistachio of seafood' but they're absolutely a social event. If they're decent size crabs, you can get enough meat to be satisfied out of one or two, and they're typically sold by the dozen. Having to pick them apart slows the process down enough that it's the perfect food to hang around and bond over, especially coupled with beer. I've spent well over an hour or two, picking crabs and watching baseball games or just hanging out.

There's also a lot of diversity in flavor due to the brackish nature of the Bay and it's various tributaries. Depending on the salinity and water temperature, some areas have sweeter, some saltier, etc. Combine this with every restaurant having their own blend of spices they steam them with and you can get some interesting combos. One place in Baltimore added a splash of allspice and cinnamon to their mix, and it was actually pretty delicious. If you're not the picking type, crabcake is delicious, and fried soft crab sandwiches are amazing (if a little expensive).

Unrelated, but blue crabs are also the meanest crabs I've met and will basically pinch you just for being alive near them. The little ones hurt the most, since the serrations in their claws tend to be sharper.

Growing up in the PNW it's pretty much all Dungeness* all the time--which I'm not complaining about--but it was definitely a nice treat to try blue crab this past year and really taste the difference. It was in an Eggs Benedict variation though, and not a pure crab eating experience so I still have that to look forward to.

*To the uninitiated, I would describe it as delicate and sweet in comparison to the Blue I had but with a nuttier flavor too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

christmas boots posted:

Growing up in the PNW it's pretty much all Dungeness* all the time--which I'm not complaining about--but it was definitely a nice treat to try blue crab this past year and really taste the difference. It was in an Eggs Benedict variation though, and not a pure crab eating experience so I still have that to look forward to.

*To the uninitiated, I would describe it as delicate and sweet in comparison to the Blue I had but with a nuttier flavor too.

Oh man you really need to go to a bar in Maryland or my state, Virginia, during football season and get a loving pile of blue crab with a buncha friends and just chill smashin/eatin' blue crabs and drinkin beer for several hours. That's the way to do blue crabs. Like I'm not even a diehard football fan, I like hockey. But you're not gonna find a lot of hype around hockey this far south on the east coast, generally. But it's still really rad to watch a good football game while smashin blue crabs and beers with a bunch of friends even if football's not your sport of choice.

E: To all you Marylanders out there, you're welcome for us Virginians allowing you to use our bay and enjoy our crabs/oysters. :colbert:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 26, 2019

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Oh man you really need to go to a bar in Maryland or my state, Virginia, during football season and get a loving pile of blue crab with a buncha friends and just chill smashin/eatin' blue crabs and drinkin beer for several hours. That's the way to do blue crabs. Like I'm not even a diehard football fan, I like hockey. But you're not gonna find a lot of hype around hockey this far south on the east coast, generally. But it's still really rad to watch a good football game while smashin blue crabs and beers with a bunch of friends even if football's not your sport of choice.

E: To all you Marylanders out there, you're welcome for us Virginians allowing you to use our bay and enjoy our crabs/oysters. :colbert:

Oh yes, the oysters. The ones down in Chincoteague are the best I've ever had. Blows Pacific oysters out of the water, no pun intended.

Though that didn't stop me from thoroughly abusing an Anchorage Fred Meyers seafood department. They had Pacific oysters on ice, and mistakenly listed them as $1.50/lb instead of $1.50 each. They changed their sign immediately after I pointed it out, but surprisingly honored it for me and I walked out with 6 pounds of oysters for $9. Much sea snot was eaten that night.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wild T posted:

Oh yes, the oysters. The ones down in Chincoteague are the best I've ever had. Blows Pacific oysters out of the water, no pun intended.

Though that didn't stop me from thoroughly abusing an Anchorage Fred Meyers seafood department. They had Pacific oysters on ice, and mistakenly listed them as $1.50/lb instead of $1.50 each. They changed their sign immediately after I pointed it out, but surprisingly honored it for me and I walked out with 6 pounds of oysters for $9. Much sea snot was eaten that night.

A bold claim. Seems I'll have to get down there and expose this obviously false statement myself. Naturally the larger my sample size the more accurate the results.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Fair warning, Chincoteagues are amazing but they are saltier than most oysters. So if that's not your thing you may not enjoy them. They have next to no grit, though, which is a bonus.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

My Bay saves me from these stupor storms. Gives me a crab cake or two.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Turns all the ladies' heads when I roll up in my CRABS shirt

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The dock at work is constantly covered in these little guys all scuttling around and doin crab stuff. I finally managed to stop and snake a picture for the crab crew:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Marbled plank scuttler

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/franzanth/status/1146770820737355776

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

surf crab america

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Like a leaf in the water; watch me crab

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Float like a buttered crab, pinch like a krabby

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slaan posted:

Float like a buttered crab, pinch like a krabby

Speaking of I invited some pinchy bros over for dinner last night.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Hey just even really like the *word* crab, and even the purposeful deviations of it in this thread like carb or creb have made me laugh, is this thread for me

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

LingcodKilla posted:

Speaking of I invited some pinchy bros over for dinner last night.

So you gave them yummy shrimp or old meat or excellent algae right? What a nice person you are, making them a dinner

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slaan posted:

So you gave them yummy shrimp or old meat or excellent algae right? What a nice person you are, making them a dinner

Salted water followed by a side dish of butter.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floodixor posted:

Hey just even really like the *word* crab, and even the purposeful deviations of it in this thread like carb or creb have made me laugh, is this thread for me

:hai:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Oh "crabs" excuse me yes I love them!!!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I found a molting crab yesterday. So cool how they wiggle out bigger and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LingcodKilla posted:

I found a molting crab yesterday. So cool how they wiggle out bigger and better.

I dunno about larger crabs, but hermit crabs are very weak and depleted after molting so they eat their own shedded skin/carapace for sustenance while they heal.

That’s pretty fuckin’ metal. :rock: