Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I just wanna say Behemoth looks fuckin amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

It stands to reason that Ghidorah fell from heaven, being that he’s a golden three-headed dragon who rose from his icy prison in a gout of sulfurous flame.

Yeah this also the twins definitely were psychically communing with mothra (at least the one was) and know way more than they let on. It raises deep questions about MONARCH, the organization named after a butterfly whose logo is a butterfly.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
What are the deep questions

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah this also the twins definitely were psychically communing with mothra (at least the one was) and know way more than they let on. It raises deep questions about MONARCH, the organization named after a butterfly whose logo is a butterfly.

I've understood MONARCH as a Mothra reference since the first time I watched 2014, though this is admittedly my own assumption predicated on nothing other than those two things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Golden Gael posted:

I've understood MONARCH as a Mothra reference since the first time I watched 2014, though this is admittedly my own assumption predicated on nothing other than those two things.

We still haven't seen the actual founders of MONARCH yet

That one lady's family might have been tied in from the very start

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q48SL0SXrsc

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Monarch is probably gonna turn out to be a protocol for continuation of Atlantean government (it was Atlantis and also the Bermuda Triangle imo) or maybe an alien cult or something. I don’t really mean “deep” like philosophically or whatever, just something that calls into question what it really is all about.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Burkion posted:

We still haven't seen the actual founders of MONARCH yet

That one lady's family might have been tied in from the very start

She says she's, what, fourth generation Monarch? Probably has been.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Monarch is probably gonna turn out to be a protocol for continuation of Atlantean government (it was Atlantis and also the Bermuda Triangle imo) or maybe an alien cult or something. I don’t really mean “deep” like philosophically or whatever, just something that calls into question what it really is all about.

It should follow as some kind of more grounded ancient cult, possibly one from Infant Island.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saw King of the Monsters a second time tonight, since my parents wanted to see it.

My mother's only comment on the way back to the car was "Pacific Rim was better."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, she's not wrong. Pacific Rim is the best western Kaiju film ever made so far.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
No way, even Puff Daddy Godzilla is better

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Saw the movie.
Sure was glad that the Mass murderer... got her redemption? Also, sure use your car to lure it away while driving through a destroyed city. Surely that will be much more effective than taking it aboard an airship.

The monsters looked cool as poo poo though.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 25, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mulderman posted:

Also, sure use your car to lure it away while driving through a destroyed city. Surely that will be much more effective than taking it aboard an airship.

Ghidorah would have caught the airship and killed everyone on it then. The point was to lure Ghidorah away from Godzilla long enough for him to recover, and for obvious reasons Emma didn't want her daughter to die in the process of doing that. This is kind of a weird objection.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, she's not wrong. Pacific Rim is the best western Kaiju film ever made so far.

Pacific Rim is only barely a kaiju movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pacific Rim is basically live-action mecha anime, no more and no less.

I feel a key element of 'kaiju' as a genre is that the monster is front and centre of the movie and generally its name is the title, it's a movie about the giant monster, what it does, and how people react. The kaiju in Pacific Rim are secondary, the giant robots and their pilots are primary.

Someone needs to do some of those interpretation grids for kaiju. One of the radical axes is that Superman is a Kaiju.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 25, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arcsquad12 posted:

There are like three or four better King Kong movies, Cloverfield, 20 Million Miles To Earth, Them!, Gorgo, Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, Monsters, Dark Continent, Reign Of Fire, Skyline, Skyline 2, The Giant Mantis...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

G'14 and Skull Island crush everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also Rampage.

Funny thing is that what I remember the most about Rampage is the energy to it, the monsters are always on the move and acting once things get rolling, it's a hell of a ride.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Blob is a kaiju movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HannibalBarca posted:

Pacific Rim is only barely a kaiju movie.

It's giant CGI monsters fighting giant CGI monsters. Some just happen to be controlled by people in PR.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Pacific Rim owes more to the Tokusatsu genre than to Toho-style kaiju eiga. It's closer to Ultraman or Super Sentai in their various incarnations, the monsters are all hostile servants of an invading force.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Is Clifford the Big Red Dog a kaiju?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Golden Gael posted:

Is Clifford the Big Red Dog a kaiju?

A small one, but yes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Grape Ape is a kaiju.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The Kool-Aid Man is a kaiju.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No, he's a supervillain.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Someone needs to do some of those interpretation grids for kaiju. One of the radical axes is that Superman is a Kaiju.

I dunno if Superman is a kaiju but Man of Steel is definitely a kaiju film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

McSpanky posted:

I dunno if Superman is a kaiju but Man of Steel is definitely a kaiju film.

You could play a lot with how he has the same origin as Ghidorah, at least from a human perspective. Lex Luthor certainly would think so at least.

I just need to figure out what the axes should be. Size? Media of origin? Tone?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Your mom's a kaiju.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Certainly brings enough pain and despair.

Overthinking stupid nerdy things is fun.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I finally got around to seeing King of the Monsters last night. It very much felt like a sequel to '98 Godzilla rather than something that is in the same cinematic universe as '14 Godzilla and Skull Island.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Kaijin. Technically the X-Men would also count, if they were namless mooks.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

However, The Statue of Liberty is Mecha

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Only in Ghostbusters 2.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ghostbusters 2

is

Canon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mantis42 posted:

confirmed

(space dandy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LCg8F2T4k

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8PhummZur0

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DOMINANCE ASSERTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man imagine being able to have “right Ghidorah head” on your acting credits.