Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
“And it’s nothing against Baron Corbin. He’s average. . .ish. He’s boring. And when he’s on tv I’m not excited.”

I’m paraphrasing but Dave, just admit that he fuckin sucks dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1143519850423361539?s=19

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i loving died at dave analyzing the fighting capability of high heels

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

jesus WEP posted:

Just got around to Dave talking about the Jericho Cruise and it’s loving delightful from start to finish :allears:

Reminded me of the product placement scene in Wayne’s World.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i loving died at dave analyzing the fighting capability of high heels

Extremely same

"That's not a good, um, fighting shoe"

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

flashy_mcflash posted:

Extremely same

"That's not a good, um, fighting shoe"

I was a little worried that a coworker might see me roaring with laughter when I was parking this morning as I listened to this. Dave Meltzer is a loving gift.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Karmine posted:

“And it’s nothing against Baron Corbin. He’s average. . .ish. He’s boring. And when he’s on tv I’m not excited.”

I’m paraphrasing but Dave, just admit that he fuckin sucks dude.

You gotta remember the depths of bad Dave has seen

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Too many podcasts to track. Which one is Dave selling me on a cruise?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The WOR from the 24th that's not the Ospreay interview.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Wazzu posted:

Too many podcasts to track. Which one is Dave selling me on a cruise?

Bryan is going to shill you on the cruise, Dave Meltzer is the nerd who gets totally sold on the idea, gets enthusiastic and then sells you on the cruise as an incidental.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I cannot loving wait to hear Dave reviewing his steak and sushi dinners with Ric Flair and Ted Irvine

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Hollywood has lied to me!

As has WCW

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

jesus WEP posted:

I cannot loving wait to hear Dave reviewing his steak and sushi dinners with Ric Flair and Ted Irvine

gently caress, now I can't either

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I haven't listened to it yet, but Tommy Dreamer on the House of Hardcore Podcast talks about being so depressed he thought about jumping the barricade at Wrestlemania 17 to shoot Paul Heyman and then himself live on PPV.

https://art19.com/shows/11392614-4c96-42b1-a8c3-1dd61f55f12c/embed?playlist_type=playlist&playlist_size=10

https://www.bodyslam.net/2019/06/25/tommy-dreamer-shares-about-when-he-was-depressed-and-suicidal-and-how-jim-ross-saved-his-life/

quote:

When ECW went out of business I was 29 years old. I had a lot of my money, my parents money, trying to float the company. Paul Heyman, who I thought me and him were super tight, he screwed me over big time. He was in the WWE, the whole time. I had turned down hundereds of thousands of dollars to go to WCW. And now was unemployed. I went from a $750,000 offer, and Paul Heyman crying to me, that if I leave ECW, it will go out of business. Meanwhile he was getting a paycheck from WWE. I don’t begrudge him, but then I did. I was depressed as depressed can be. I had women, I had fame, I had everything and yes it was the worst time of my life. It really was. I was doing indies, making decent money on the indies. But, I lived at home…

This is crazy for me to admit it, but I am doing it for a reason, just like I admitted to other things previously. Wrestlemania Houston (X7) Paul Heyman told me I was going to debut. All this stuff, when they had TLC and Spike Dudley came in, and Rhyno came in, and Lita came in. That was supposed to be my spot and then uh, that got ixnayed. Then there was gonna be a hardcore 24/7 thing, that was gonna be “all about you”. That was when I was supposed to debut. I remember I did a show there, and I saw a sign that said “Guns Welcome” and I was in Houston. I did an indie show, and I said “What is this?” I’m from New York, what do you mean “Guns Welcome?” and they said “Oh you are allowed to bring a firearm into the venue. I was across the street from the Astrodome. When I tell you it resonated in my head so, so much. That I’ll tell you what I wanted to do. It’s sick that I think this. At Wrestlemania, I was gonna hop the rail and I was gonna whack Paul E. in the back of the head right at the announce table, then I was gonna whack myself. The ultimate martyr, I was gonna hit my pose crack, boom, pull the trigger. Because I was that insane. Don’t know if I would have went through with it, but that’s what I was thinking about everyday. I was like “I will go down in history.” Pop, boom. First they’d think it as an angle until I shot him. I was so severely depressed and so mental with rage, I needed help. That help came from a phone call from Jim Ross. Randomly I get a phone call from a number I didn’t know… I didn’t pick up, and I remember having these thoughts, and it was bad. I had a gun, I was psssh man. Could you think about the horribleness that I would have done for my legacy? I would have ruined Wrestlemania, which I love Wrestlemania. For everybody. These thoughts were so so crazed in my head. How dare that person, he screwed my parents over and I come from a mobster mentality. In my head I was like “I would become infamous.” Which is famous for the wrong reason. I’m glad I didn’t do it. But when that phone call came from Jim Ross. Again, just said leave a message. It said “Hey Tommy it’s Jim Ross, just want to let you know, we are still thinking about you, we are gonna get it done, just got to hang tight. Thank you.

Think of how stupid I would have been, how dumb and how messed up my thoughts would have been if they would have come to fruition. I am so happy I didn’t do it, I am so happy that I did get that phone call, from someone who was a stranger, I barely knew the guy. There was another day, there has been a lot of other days.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

drat

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:stare:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Almost worked himself into a shoot, brother.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know Heyman screwed over a lot of people but Tommy has to have been one of the worst since he was basically carrying ECW on his back that whole time. That’s gotta be one of the biggest breaches of trust in wrestling history in terms of a promoter just absolutely betraying his main workhorse. It’s like an animal farm situation

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
In late 2000 you could tell how Tommy felt about the company's future by how much damage he'd take in matches. If paychecks were late it was self-abuse city. That's the connection he had with the promotion.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i just remember Tommy bragging on the Stone Cold podcast about how many concussions he's had and working through them.

I'm really worried what his mental state is going to be in a decade or two

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

i just remember Tommy bragging on the Stone Cold podcast about how many concussions he's had and working through them.

For those who don't check the TNA thread he posted this on Facebook just last week

Tommy Dreamer posted:

Some things you dont know after a move or match. Rob Van Dam hit me so hard w/his splash his jaw went into my bicep/pec/shoulder. He hurt his jaw & probably suffered another slight concussion. My ribs hurt every time I took a breath for 1 week. My bicep STILL has a lump in it. My arm/shoulder still has little too no mobility. I started physical therapy due to the pain, this week they say I probably tore my labrum or rotator cuff. We both wrestled the next night in the Main Event. This occurred on May 3. I have wrestled 17 times since 13 Main Events. It hurts every time I get in & out of a car. Every time I'm on a plane someone bumps into me, carrying a suitcase,putting my shirt on and simple tasks. My only regret is I havent worked out since because I can't and my weight is getting up there which bothers me personally. This is just my story, every wrestler has one of their own. Just educating everyone the life of a wrestler.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

Given the stuff he posted just last week he might not even make it another decade or two, he might die in the ring.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah I know Heyman screwed over a lot of people but Tommy has to have been one of the worst since he was basically carrying ECW on his back that whole time. That’s gotta be one of the biggest breaches of trust in wrestling history in terms of a promoter just absolutely betraying his main workhorse. It’s like an animal farm situation

I'm always confused about how loved Heyman is. Like, I get that he's a charismatic personality but his actions seem to be him often using that charisma to gently caress people.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm always confused about how loved Heyman is. Like, I get that he's a charismatic personality but his actions seem to be him often using that charisma to gently caress people.

At one point, Paul was regarded as a genius but I challenge everyone to go back and watch old ECW PPVs(not the butchered messes on WWE Network but actual PPV rips if you can find them) and see if it holds up. My personal experience is they don't.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Not to say he was perfect, but I would put his best stuff out there as the week to week tv. Hardcore TV is a very watchable tv show in its original form.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

remusclaw posted:

Not to say he was perfect, but I would put his best stuff out there as the week to week tv. Hardcore TV is a very watchable tv show in its original form.

I dunno, the pre-Heyman ECW TV shows were more my speed. He did get some firey promos from mushmouths like Taz tho.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

coconono posted:

At one point, Paul was regarded as a genius but I challenge everyone to go back and watch old ECW PPVs(not the butchered messes on WWE Network but actual PPV rips if you can find them) and see if it holds up. My personal experience is they don't.

After re-reading all the 90s Observers, I think he's a scum sucking piece of poo poo who exploited the hell out of his workers, paid them in drugs and painkillers, repeatedly bounced their checks, and lied his rear end off to everyone possible trying to save his own rear end. There's no one he wouldn't gently caress over, no one he would remain loyal to. Not a single word he said was trustworthy from the beginning until the end. He ruined people's credit, career prospects, and their health for ultimately nothing and then kept doing it even when it was obvious the thing was going to die. Also never seemed to give a poo poo about the danger to the fans and event staff from the rowdy, undersized venues he repeatedly ran. Always found someone else to blame. It was always someone else's fault.

Compare that to Cornette who shut down SMW when he realized it could never make money, even when his desperate workers were offering to help float it another few months. He didn't see a point in beating the dead horse and taking their money.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

coconono posted:

Isn't it generally accepted that by the time ECW had gotten on PPV that they had reached their peak as far as the quality of the TV went? I'm only up to 1996 on my watch of Hardcore TV and honestly have fallen off it and need to get back to it sometime as it's been months, but it's a really fun show. Yeah, the Eddie Gilbert booked stuff was also fun, there's plenty stuff that falls shorts (binge watching is not always easy as it descends into week after week of walking brawls) but I can't help but keep coming back to how loving over Public Enemy were despite the fact that any other place that booked them they were completely forgettable. And Heyman really was good at playing to people's strengths and hiding the negatives as much as possible.

There's a whole lot around ECW which is deeply problematic (& not just the poo poo they say or the penchant for beating up women being a babyface move) and Paul Heyman is a conman who hosed over a lot of people and created a cult-like mentality to push away legitimate criticism, but Hardcore TV from 95 & 96. But you do have to watch low quality VHS rips rather than the stuff on the Network because it loses so much without music, be it the theme music or the Pulp Fiction promos. But it's very '90s and the '90s definitely don't hold up in hindsight. Still, rather watch '95 Hardcore TV than Raw or Nitro.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I thought peak ECW was summer of '95.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Peak ECW was durag Vince and Lashley somersaulting through cages :colbert:

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Peak ECW was Christian as champion and the Zack Ryder vs. Tommy Dreamer feud

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A lot of people not spelling John Morrison correctly

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tato posted:

After re-reading all the 90s Observers, I think he's a scum sucking piece of poo poo who exploited the hell out of his workers, paid them in drugs and painkillers, repeatedly bounced their checks, and lied his rear end off to everyone possible trying to save his own rear end. There's no one he wouldn't gently caress over, no one he would remain loyal to. Not a single word he said was trustworthy from the beginning until the end. He ruined people's credit, career prospects, and their health for ultimately nothing and then kept doing it even when it was obvious the thing was going to die. Also never seemed to give a poo poo about the danger to the fans and event staff from the rowdy, undersized venues he repeatedly ran. Always found someone else to blame. It was always someone else's fault.

Compare that to Cornette who shut down SMW when he realized it could never make money, even when his desperate workers were offering to help float it another few months. He didn't see a point in beating the dead horse and taking their money.

My #1 favorite Heyman story was him offering New Jack $5000 and an 8-ball of coke to bump off the Interstate above ECW Arena

For those unaware of how loving high that is

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also liked Heyman's Smackdown booking.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

coconono posted:

Somewhat germane to this, one of the first things I watched on the WWE Network when I first got it years ago was Living Dangerously 2000 (more or less at random because I just wanted to watch some ECW).

That opening angle with Sandman's wife was so wretched I shut it right off (thankfully, since apparently it was also the show where the Grimes/New Jack mishap occurred).

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
http://www.f4wonline.com/news/weeks-wrestling-observer-newsletter-delayed-274246

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
:siren: CHUCK TAYLOR SPLAINIA HAS DROPPED :siren:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Ok

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

guessing it has to do with the bischoff/heyman news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

guessing it has to do with the bischoff/heyman news

the what?

*googles*

THE WHAT??!?