Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

man the Abyss in Calamity is weird

its not too bad with all my assorted gear and potions and poo poo and then suddenly theres a giant worm with a bazillion health and i have to teleport out so i dont die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's supposed to basically be a STEALTH MISSION where you try as hard as possible to not aggro the big worms. It doesn't really match general Terraria gameplay very much though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

maybe i'll just turn on god mode and go find whatever's in the deep parts

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

There really isn’t anything worthwhile in the deep end until you’re at the very late game. You go there for the shadow chests after skeletron, then at the mid-hardmode stage to mine chaotic ore, and then to fight a bit into the post-moon-lord phase

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The only thing there prehardmode is an extremely overpowered rare drop if you're playing on revengeance.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Nah there’s some good stuff in the chests but you don’t need to fight anything for them

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah you're absolutely not really meant to fight anything down there until post Moonlord. It's all about sneaking around and trying not to die while you scoop up the loot that you have access to at the time.

I really like the Abyss and think it's the most creative thing a Terraria mod has ever done. Going down there can be actually legit creepy, when you can barely see and you're slowly dying and oh poo poo is that wyrm literally twice the length of the screen?????

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ambaire posted:

Still need to grind materials to get to pumps and whatnot. Still not sure how to get cobwebs even. (for a yoyo, for copper wire).

There's a spider biome next to the dungeon. It's some distance away to the right of your starting point IIRC.

My splitter design in Skyblock for before I got the pumps was like this:

code:
|_|_|
Dropping water over the middle tine, letting it fill the two cups and overflow over the border tines. The point of the w shape was that sometimes I didn't get enough water/lava back in a cup to fill back the bucket, and in this case I could just get it from the other cup instead of having to move to the bottom of cistern to refill, then back up to the splitter.

Zereth posted:

maybe i'll just turn on god mode and go find whatever's in the deep parts

At the very bottom you find an item that lets you trigger a boss rush. Do not use until you can reliably defeat all the bosses.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 26, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oh I've got plenty of Chaotic Ore and random poo poo from the chests I guess I'll dump my Abyss Specific Accessories in a chest and go gently caress off somewhere else

Also the summon weapon I got from Calamitas seems really good

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is Terraria available anywhere off of steam, that isn't a sketchy third party reseller? I'd like to test the 64-bit tmodloader, and it would be nice if I could make a burner directory just for testing, instead of potentially borking my current steam installation.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Oh don't worry about that, it was just me being stupid and not realizing that uninstalling terraria wont delete external dlls, if you have any problems deleting the entire terraria folder will probably solve it. Also you can make a copy of the terraria folder and keep it around in case you need to do that to skip even needing to reinstall terraria and tmodloader.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's on GOG too. Use this to put TML 64 on the GOG version.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh nice. Thanks, I prefer GoG anyways. Pretty sure I picked up Terraria during a christmas sale for like 2 dollars, so no harm in throwing the developers a little extra cash after all these years.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is Terraria available anywhere off of steam, that isn't a sketchy third party reseller? I'd like to test the 64-bit tmodloader, and it would be nice if I could make a burner directory just for testing, instead of potentially borking my current steam installation.

You can just copy your Terraria folder somewhere else and put all the 64-bit tmodloader stuff in that folder instead of the one in your steam directory.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a mod that adds a "this crafting station does everything" without being part of a large overhaul mod? I used to have multiple options for it but I don't with my current mod setup

I found one but it only combines table, chair, crafting table, basic furnace, and basic anvil, as well as something about liquids and the autohammer for making shroomite

Zereth fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 26, 2019

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Magical Storage lets you basically combine any 10 crafting stations into one block, and also shows what you can craft with everything you have stored.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

After years of playing Terraria using KB+M, last night I decided to try and play it using a controller. Whoo boy, that was an experience. Maybe I'm too hardwired by Mario-style platformers, but something feels wrong about jumping and attacking with the top buttons, haha! Also, trying to close the menu and instead trashing whatever item I was holding.

I'm sure I can get used to it sooner or later but dang. A shock for my ancient brain.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zereth posted:

Is there a mod that adds a "this crafting station does everything" without being part of a large overhaul mod? I used to have multiple options for it but I don't with my current mod setup

I found one but it only combines table, chair, crafting table, basic furnace, and basic anvil, as well as something about liquids and the autohammer for making shroomite

There are combos in the two big furniture mods.
Chad's and Jenosis' have anvil/furnace combos that end with the hardmode anvils and furnaces. I prefer Chad's, aesthetically speaking, though Jenosis' culminate with also including the autohammer.

Chad's furniture also include a heavy workbench + tinkerer's workshop + sawmill combo.
Jenosis also include a loom + living loom combo and a work bench + table + bookcase combo.

Put those combos in your Storage Crafting Interface; you'll still have six other slots for other crafting stations to mix in.

My advice, however, is to keep the alchemy table outside and craft potions the vanilla way instead of in the Storage Crafting Interface. Because the ingredient-saving effect of the alchemy table is not replicated within the SCI.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

Magical Storage lets you basically combine any 10 crafting stations into one block, and also shows what you can craft with everything you have stored.
My problem is specifically that I have only 10 slots in the Storage Crafting Interface. :v:

Cat Mattress posted:

There are combos in the two big furniture mods.
Chad's and Jenosis' have anvil/furnace combos that end with the hardmode anvils and furnaces. I prefer Chad's, aesthetically speaking, though Jenosis' culminate with also including the autohammer.

Chad's furniture also include a heavy workbench + tinkerer's workshop + sawmill combo.
Jenosis also include a loom + living loom combo and a work bench + table + bookcase combo.

Put those combos in your Storage Crafting Interface; you'll still have six other slots for other crafting stations to mix in.

My advice, however, is to keep the alchemy table outside and craft potions the vanilla way instead of in the Storage Crafting Interface. Because the ingredient-saving effect of the alchemy table is not replicated within the SCI.
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I’m very sure the alchemy table works like it should in the SCI

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Fargos mutant mod also does that and doesn't really overhaul anything, just adds a boss spawn item npc and a invasion spawn item npc, and i think infinite ammo pouches for non standard ammo

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zoig posted:

Fargos mutant mod also does that and doesn't really overhaul anything, just adds a boss spawn item npc and a invasion spawn item npc, and i think infinite ammo pouches for non standard ammo
Wait, really? I have that installed and I don't seem to have anything about combining all these mundane crafting stations

EDIT: Like it used to but I also don't have the "combine armor sets into accessories" stuff anymore either

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mystery solved, it's two mods now, one for the guys who sell boss summon items and one for the "combine every single armor set and a bunch of weapons and things into, eventually, one omega-accessory", and the "combine all these crafting stations into one thing" one is in that

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

watho posted:

I’m very sure the alchemy table works like it should in the SCI

It does work, I tested it with health potions and did notice when no materials were used.

Also mannequins and item frames having the use at your own risk warning is not fun. I don’t want to do my standard make every armor and put it on mannequins if it is just going’s to vanish.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It used to not work in the crafting storage interface, but that was a long time ago and the mod has made other changes, like the auto-cursor working with the sotrage accesses/heart/crafting interface, so

Also, man, the post-moon-lord Calamity stuff doesn't seem to be very well signposted. If I wasn't looking up what to do I'd be just wandering around poking at stuff and hoping I find things. Even without that I'm a bit lost.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Zereth posted:

My problem is specifically that I have only 10 slots in the Storage Crafting Interface. :v:

make another one

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Patware posted:

make another one
I didn't build one because I wanted to keep track of what crafting station I need to build whatever it is I want :colbert:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Maguoob posted:

It does work, I tested it with health potions and did notice when no materials were used.

Also mannequins and item frames having the use at your own risk warning is not fun. I don’t want to do my standard make every armor and put it on mannequins if it is just going’s to vanish.

Vanilla stuff is safe and I think calamity armors work but be prepared and maybe don’t use resources you aren’t willing to waste

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I would be careful. The one game I tried to throw a bunch of mod armor onto mannequins had a lot of random slowdowns and lag, and I wonder if that’s connected since I haven’t had performance issues since then.

A fair number of items do work despite the warnings, though.

Occasionally they just turn into other random items, which can be fun. Definitely got some end-game swords long before hard-mode.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 27, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Terraria is in the Switch eshop.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Huh, so it is

Here comes another 20,000,000 sales for Red and Cenx

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

*squints at Calamity wiki*

... at the point I'm at, it looks like most items I'd want to make require grinding up items which drop from Pumpkings and Ice Queens

Specifically, that are always used in equal numbers

This seems... annoying.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Calamity looks like it had a lot of hard work but it absolutely does not interest me with its design philosophies and ideas of difficulty

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zereth posted:

*squints at Calamity wiki*

... at the point I'm at, it looks like most items I'd want to make require grinding up items which drop from Pumpkings and Ice Queens

Specifically, that are always used in equal numbers

This seems... annoying.

you'll probably need to do one of each event to have enough of those items to craft the next tier of armor and your first few higher tier weapons. It's not a total waste of time, since both moon events get buffed to be fairly dangerous for the point you should be at now

once you've got one or two more tiers of equipment you can do the moon events one more time, and you'll have enough dps at that point to farm enough mats to build absolutely everything left that can be built with them

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i don't even know what the next tier of armor loving is

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

i don't even know what the next tier of armor loving is

Got the recipe browser mod? Look at the armor section or search boots/w/e and see what the progression looks like. Should be able to determine next tier based on armor amount.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I've been mostly plugging crafting materials I have into it and looking at what takes them but that's a bit mixed

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Me and my friend had a lot of fun with Thorium, though we didn't get around to the later parts due to exams

Everything felt like it was there for a reason, it wasn't cluttered

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think Thorium has like, ONE thing post-Moon Lord and it's just a boss, while Calamity feels like it's just loving waiting for the Moon Lord to go down to get serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I sometimes regretted not playing as a Bard (because the instruments seemed fun) but my friend seemed deeply grateful I didn't