Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Willie Tomg posted:

D&D thinks a lot of wacky poo poo about Bashar al-Assad that, if even half of it were true, would make him such an astonishingly competent strategist and politician that any nation would be lucky to have him in a position of absolute power.

i mean the number of those who have pledge to unseat the lion of syria and then fallen themselves is legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"he went after the non-islamist factions first to make the moderates seem radical!!!"

golly, could that possibly be because ansar al-sharia and jabhat al-nusra were flush with foreign fighters, cash, and western surplus military arms including ATGMs flooding over the turkish border, where domestic factions had finite manpower limited to a pool of defectors and domestic dissidents and were rapidly expending a limited pool of whatever rifles and RPGs they could steal from the SAA before the conflict became truly dire? so if your goal was re-securing as much of the country as possible with a national army that, itself, often resembled the patchwork militias it was fighting, it'd stand to reason that the sectors held by factions with crippling logistical problems would fall first forcing remaining rebel areas into the command structure of these more-secure foreign presences?

"NO TANKIE, THOUGH THE WAR LACKED PRECISION IN EVERY OTHER AREA HE BEELINED SPECIFICALLY FOR SECULAR FSA FACTIONS WITH CARPET BOMBING AND HELPED ISIS

even syrians refer to the eastern plains as "scorpion territory" because there's nothing there but stretches of sand and poverty and Damascus and the western cities were massive. isn't it more likely that rather than spread himself thin holding a frontier of no strategic value the regime chose instead to retain what urban areas he could, plus the ports for supply and trade, in order to more fully concentrate his forces to fighting the longest and most protracted urban siege since literally stalingrad?

"NO. ASSAD AND ISIS WERE MAKING BABIES IN THE CLOSET AND THE BABY LOOKED AT ME" etc etc

like, if a single guy can stablize a nation from that kind of crisis with that incredibly convoluted level of conniving and make it work then... it kinda sounds like the best man won.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

an ophthalmologist turned visionary

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

THS posted:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

if we drive some more humvees over them that'll really show 'em

heh jokes on you we drive around in mraps now

iran: *just builds bigger ieds*

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lmao the idea that random insurgents in a country awash in munitions would wire up crude explosive devices to blow the balls off billy redneck riding around in an unarmored humvee never entered the minds of the geniuses that planned the iraq invasion.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

heh jokes on you we drive around in mraps now

iran: *just builds bigger ieds*

the EFPs iran sent shia militias after the al-askari mosque bombing knocked out TANKS. "up-armor" is hilariously ineffective when liquefied armor is the thing that's cutting through your armor and not an explosive or projectile.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

THS posted:

lmao
and this was the dweeby loser son who got drafted when the chad older brother drove into a wall without a seatbelt

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

THS posted:

He sees the end of imperialism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

THS posted:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

dirty lousy tramp posted:

lmao
and this was the dweeby loser son who got drafted when the chad older brother drove into a wall without a seatbelt

hahahaha

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the one english language observer about syria that i would read is joshua landis who speaks the language, has lived there and seems to be pretty objective about it, which brings serious wrath in his direction from the neocons who call him an assad luver because of his alawi wife, without noting the syrian government kicked him out in 2005 for being a pain in the rear end (his objectivity).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
his take on the chemical weapons is also blunt and straightforward. i heard him on RWN where he didn't deny assad's forces were responsible at all, in fact, or that it was just some "rogue unit" or whatever, but just (paraphrasing) "the alawi core of the regime sees itself as fighting an existential war for its own survival and will use any weapon at its disposal. we killed hundreds of thousands of japanese civilians with nuclear bombs but it's not like americans have lost any sleep over it."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/HassanElTayyab/status/1143549610843148290

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

So they used CSPAM modded?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The whole "president of iran allegedly called Trump a retard when actually no it's just the translator choosing a terrible moment to be bad at their job" thing remind me of the Ems Dispatch.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The media are going to get us all killed

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

So they used CSPAM modded?

the president even specified ‘sheng-ji yang’ level

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CODChimera posted:

The media are going to get us all killed
Yes, they sure are trying. But the same media called him stupid since before his election, so i suspect it's just them trying to make Trump angry.

guidoanselmi posted:

todays farsi lesson: im guessing he probably used the term "aghab oftadeh" which literally translates to "fallen behind" and is pejorative. colloquially, it can mean mental retardation but also represents individuals/peoples who can't keep up with the times.

e: or i guess he didn't say it at all and western media are just riling trump?

https://twitter.com/SinaToossi/status/1143516480430071811
Retard is originally just a french word (with a silent d, so "retar") for lateness, referring (i would guess) in context to "late mental development" and turned into an insult because it's a foreign word that sounds funny. Still it's a particular word to select for a translation of "fallen behind".

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 12:15 on Jun 26, 2019

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
This is why Kim went with “dotard.” Same connotations, much less drama

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

9/11 was a limited strike

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Over Easy posted:

We talking about jimmy?

Love Jimmy. Great way to get your boomer and xer relatives into good thought territory

I think shoutman style television is engaging because I started school under ronald Reagan when the US was strong.

Democracy now has been more consistently and frustratingly wrong about poo poo over the last couple years and beyond than jimmy dore

democracy now really loving sucks on china, iran, venezuela and the dprk. indistinguishable from npr when it comes to those subjects

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

wasnt democracy now cheering bombing libya too

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
democracy now, ask questions later

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

democrats now

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

The whole "president of iran allegedly called Trump a retard when actually no it's just the translator choosing a terrible moment to be bad at their job" thing remind me of the Ems Dispatch.

there are entire organizations dedicated to purposely mistranslating things in ways that make Middle Easterners look more scary and threatening to Americans

you haven't really lived until you've seen "the Jews are killing us" mistranslated as "we will annihilate the Jews"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's a proud foreign policy tradition dating back at least to Kruschev's "we will bury you" (actually "we will outlast you") comment, probably way earlier.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

It's a proud foreign policy tradition dating back at least to Kruschev's "we will bury you" (actually "we will outlast you") comment, probably way earlier.

"NO atacamos el maine"

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Goddamn the new Istanbul Airport is something. One day future generations of my useless profession will excavate this place and it will be like the lotr scenes in moria except the monster was capitalism.

e: In this analogy i guess the balrog built moria

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bold of you to assume there's still gonna be intelligent life left on the planet by then

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

real news network > democracy now

I recall some p laughable coverage of Nicaragua where it was a debate between some gusano and another dude and the gusano simply denied everything. Also they frequently have such luminaries on as the head of human rights watch

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Rated PG-34 posted:

real news network > democracy now

rnn took a "let's have a debate" stance on Nicaragua, but at least they gave Max Blumenthal a platform. they're pretty great in general and everyone should subscribe to them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/1146001445050863616?s=19

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

R. Guyovich posted:

democracy now really loving sucks on china, iran, venezuela and the dprk. indistinguishable from npr when it comes to those subjects
they should take the w out of their name

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
you could say the president was left with an acute case of the heebie jeebies

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lmao that fox news apparently provides the broadest historical context for american intervention in iran out of the mainstream news sources

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1145783471106904065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Poor Trump, thought of war atrocities and died.