Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

quote:

Since this has died down, I was asked earlier why I defend Shane so much. Simply, he is like 50 years old? In great shape, cutting long scripted promo's every week, has had a lot of entertaining matches (One of which I would call one of the best wrestling matches I've ever seen). I have not seen one singles match from a person like Roman Reigns (who is much younger) or one promo where I feel he has exceeded those things I've just mentioned.
Imagine actually thinking Shane is better than Roman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

quote:

In great shape

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Seriously, Shane does a cool dive and the rest of the match is dogshit. No one remembers the rest of the match, they just remember his near death experience.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Imagine actually thinking Shane is better than Roman.

One of their points is just 'can remember a script', which is doubly amazing because Shane can't even do it!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

shane has had two good matches and they were god-tier carry jobs from angle and styles

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

coconono posted:

Officer Liger you're a loving moron.

Doesn't WWE draw poorly when they do Japan tours?

No, they do like 7k in Sumo Hall

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

coconono posted:

Seriously, Shane does a cool dive and the rest of the match is dogshit. No one remembers the rest of the match, they just remember his near death experience.

With his cardio even walking to the ring is a near-death experience.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

shane has had two good matches and they were god-tier carry jobs from angle and styles

tbh I really liked Shane/KO, told a good story and the Sami twist fuckin ruled imo

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
In terms of max attendance WWE are number 2 in Japan: only New Japan are higher on that. They do like two shows a year though which inflates that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IceAgeComing posted:

In terms of max attendance WWE are number 2 in Japan: only New Japan are higher on that. They do like two shows a year though which inflates that.

so no full tour loop? Basically get what they can for the sake of novelty and come back at a far enough date that they can do it again?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The WWE crowd has smaller overlap with other promotions too.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I wish they had done Lesnar vs Shane so we could see two men turn purple and look like they were about to die.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

coconono posted:

so no full tour loop? Basically get what they can for the sake of novelty and come back at a far enough date that they can do it again?

WWE generally does 3-4 shows a year in Tokyo. They have two coming up on Thursday and Friday this week, and they will probably have a second tour in October or November.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

coconono posted:

yeah they do I think two tours a year; the first tends to be Sumo Hall twice while the second is Sumo Hall and the Osaka Prefectoral Gymnasium (Edion Arena 1; the building that New Japan ran Dominion at before this year and which they run the smaller Osaka shows at include their G1 dates) each once. Also WWE fans tend to be more separate from wrestling fans generally.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Aren't Japanese WWE fans mostly the same folk who watch DDT? (presumably why Chinsuke Nakamura was a thing and doing nutshots to people while a violinist played Shinsuke's WWE music)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Aren't Japanese WWE fans mostly the same folk who watch DDT? (presumably why Chinsuke Nakamura was a thing and doing nutshots to people while a violinist played Shinsuke's WWE music)

There are way more WWE shirts at DDT shows than any other promotion, yeah.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

new japan and wwe were on pretty friendly terms in 2015. liger worked an nxt takeover held the same day as a big roh show with new japan talent i attended on coney island and they let them use footage for a finn balor doc. then the 1.5 raid happened and that put an end to all that.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I seem to recall the rumors around that time that NJPW brass weren’t too thrilled about Liger working that Takeover, but I forgot NJPW loaned that footage out, so maybe they did ok it after all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the Liger thing is because Liger's allowed to do his own bookings when he's not working for New Japan, Regal reached out and he was 'oh, cool, I've never done a WWE show' and took the date.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

this is all true esp given the roh show the same day. roh got pissed and didn't book liger the next tour or two despite his popularity over here. still, it never would've happened at all even under those circumstances a year later despite technically being possible

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

I seem to recall the rumors around that time that NJPW brass weren’t too thrilled about Liger working that Takeover, but I forgot NJPW loaned that footage out, so maybe they did ok it after all.

Weren't there some NJPW execs at that takeover or an i misremembering?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/BenWiles6/status/1143733893448851457

People thinking this is a work is amazing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a huge payoff

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Its WWE doing attack dog mode stuff and keeping the wrestlers feeling like they're participating in something other than the gradual destruction of their bodies to keep an aging racist lecher pleased.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A remember awhile back, WWE apparently offered New Japan the chance to provide content for them to put on the Network, with the claim that it would be giving them massive exposure in the US. New Japan's reaction was essentially,"So you want to use your Network to figure out which of our wrestlers your audience likes so you can buy them out from under us? We'll pass, thanks" and it blows me away that they're one of the few promotions in the world who actually saw through WWE's transparent (and historically proven!) tactics. Hell, I think all that predated them coming to all those working arrangements with UK Indies and then strip-mining them.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I thought NXT UK talent were still able to take independent bookings.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I thought NXT UK talent were still able to take independent bookings.

I think there was some dumb rule that it was only with indies that don't put out DVDs or have TV.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Which basically rules out all the Indies.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ErikFrenz/status/1143671295974006784

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I don't know who Erik Frenz is, but he appears to be a loving moron.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Helicity posted:

According to his twitter bio "Author of ‘Bill Belichick vs. the NFL: The Case for the NFL’s Best Coach.' " :lol:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I also don't know who Erik Frenz is or why he's verified, but yes, he definitely appears to be a moron.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Helicity posted:

https://twitter.com/ErikFrenz/status/1143511853437509632

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OctoberCountry posted:

According to his twitter bio "Author of ‘Bill Belichick vs. the NFL: The Case for the NFL’s Best Coach.' " :lol:

Belichick is like the American version of Alex Ferguson: a tactical genius, but also a whiny baby who hates it when he's expected to obey the rules everyone else does.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/MHClark2617/status/1143518821417811968

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
These people can read, right? They know this started because Rollins called himself the best wrestler in the world, dared all of Twitter to tell him who currently alive is better and threw a hissy fit when the guy a lot of people feel is ACTUALLY the best in the world called him on it?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

meanwhile, Yano Toru, the greatest wrestler in the world could give zero fucks because he's busy teaching Goku how to properly demoralize his foes through DVD sales.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Future G1 Winner Toru Yano

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
You would think coming from ROH that Seth Rollins would be familiar enough with internet fans that no one was going to agree he was the best wrestler in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

You would think coming from ROH that Seth Rollins would be familiar enough with internet fans that no one was going to agree he was the best wrestler in the world.

Seth is not a brain genius but he speaks slowly enough people mistake him for one.