Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Groovelord Neato posted:

shapiro believes most if not all of it. you can't do the act for this long without becoming the act.

Yeah, the time he insulted Rubin to his face about gay marriage felt pretty genuine.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alaois posted:

lmao this person's twitter is a real delight, makes me want to look in to some of the other twitters you've been posting

lol they retweet trillizard. A dumb rational skeptic that through some weird chain of events led to basically everybody on tumblr reblogging anything he posted and adding "Kung pow penis" and it somehow successfully repeatedly pissing him off enough that he had to put it into his tumblr bio.

Good to see he's now posting pics of Kojima standing next to women to prove he doesn't have a problem with women.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, the time he insulted Rubin to his face about gay marriage felt pretty genuine.

What's the story to this one?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

What's the story to this one?

Edit: a better example,

https://twitter.com/rubinreport/status/1038132800333869056

It's come up between them a few times, Shapiro always says flat out "you are a sinner" while Rubin laughs it off and tries to minimize the issue. Hey, I can totally be friends with someone who doesn't believe in basic human rights, no big!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 26, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
They should kiss.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

They should kiss.

It's really wonderful how enough money and privilege allows folks to break down all the walls and just be friends!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Alaois posted:

lmao this person's twitter is a real delight, makes me want to look in to some of the other twitters you've been posting

both "some resetera posters were awful about mental illness and the mods let it happen" and "chuds are cynically attacking a space that is associated with marginalized people for their own ends" are true, not mutually exclusive, and people giving air time to the latter aren't helping.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

both "some resetera posters were awful about mental illness and the mods let it happen" and "chuds are cynically attacking a space that is associated with marginalized people for their own ends" are true, not mutually exclusive, and people giving air time to the latter aren't helping.

no poo poo, its just funny as hell that the guy itt who keeps banging on about it is exactly the kind of person who you'd expect them to be

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe it's one of those deep cover forum ops that we all read about in the local newspaper. Though if it is then it's as good a cover as turning up to a drug deal in a cop car while blasting out "Deep Cover" by Dr. Dre.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CYBEReris posted:

Yeah, the chuds are gonna be bad faith assholes no matter what so it probably is better not to accidentally use them. That being said most of the twitters posted here didn’t appear chud and getting lost in the weeds over anyone who talks about is exactly what the mods on era want, Hell its why they get away with stupid bad poo poo on their own site partially. That’ being said we shouldn’t post obvious chud types like dr shekel.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 26, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
ResetEra is pretty bad. It's almost like it wasn't a very good community before it materialized out of a split from a forum ran by a rapist

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fabricated posted:

ResetEra is pretty bad. It's almost like it wasn't a very good community before it materialized out of a split from a forum ran by a rapist

yeah. parts of era are decent, even good but the whole thing is tainted from conception. they were trying to create some perfect city on a hill when the last one failed because one of the head people was rapist creep and the mods tried to cover it up until it got to big. now it basicaly burned him but kept the mods and tripped down on their weird puritan poo poo. so when the pedo thing fully breaks at some point or something worse happens than this, the site will probably break up again and do the same thing over again after even more purges that don't solve poo poo. it sucks because its decent forum to follow for game announcements and poo poo.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Have some nostalgia.
"Do You Remember Myspace"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Evcj4yxYPY&list=WL&index=59&t=4s

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus gently caress. this poo poo makes me legit appreciate SA. like we are good and pretty progressive site with mostly great mods and we keep it clean of assholes and chuds. we don't need some super duper vacume sealed echochamber resetera does. because poo poo like that leads to this.

Like yeah sa is better than most places but lol if you dont think theres echo chambers and performative wokeness in this site.
Im not saying feel ashamed of being here or ha ha actually youre wrong neener neener, just lets not toot our own horns too much.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Also i lol that somehow this is only one of the major scandals about resetera, the other being actual secret discord channel for pedophiles

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ArfJason posted:

Like yeah sa is better than most places but lol if you dont think theres echo chambers and performative wokeness in this site.
Im not saying feel ashamed of being here or ha ha actually youre wrong neener neener, just lets not toot our own horns too much.
SA still has its fair share of shitheads but the forums have swung leftwards pretty radically versus what it was even ten years ago. I don't think it's some bastion of progressive thought just yet or anything, but it's certainly come a long way from the days when it would autoreplace "sir" with a homophobic slur, or when there was SERIOUS OUTRAGE over lowtax banning the usage of that or the hard r. Man, that thread, that loving thread, really put a lot of things into perspective on this site at the time

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. parts of era are decent, even good but the whole thing is tainted from conception. they were trying to create some perfect city on a hill when the last one failed because one of the head people was rapist creep and the mods tried to cover it up until it got to big. now it basicaly burned him but kept the mods and tripped down on their weird puritan poo poo. so when the pedo thing fully breaks at some point or something worse happens than this, the site will probably break up again and do the same thing over again after even more purges that don't solve poo poo. it sucks because its decent forum to follow for game announcements and poo poo.
Industry people really shouldn't post there tbh.

The problem is that communities are still pretty intrinsically kind of connected to the people who manage them. Lowtax for better or worse is still Lowtax, and he never sold out (to his complete lack of benefit)- even when he's not around a lot you still see/feel the influence. It's part of why this place is still pretty good even in the face of some really bad mod choices over the years- because it's generally correcting back towards the mean.

ResetEra is basically split from a community that was never any good to begin with. None of this poo poo was out of place for Gaf, and the new asylum is being ran by the inmates; is anyone really shocked when it turns out to basically be worse?

Imagine if SA had actually fallen fully apart and the community-ran replacement ended up being directed by perma'd LF/helldump posters or something.

e: this aged well

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 20, 2020

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Thats just Kiwifarms, which im guessing was your implication

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Also i lol that somehow this is only one of the major scandals about resetera, the other being actual secret discord channel for pedophiles

Discord is the weirdest social media thing, in that is resembles Usenet in ways both good and bad—mostly bad, and feels like a direct backlash against how integrated online spaces have become in the past decade. Again, both in good and mostly bad ways.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

StealthArcher posted:

Oh yeah, it pretty much is that isn't it. Lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Industry people really shouldn't post there tbh.

The problem is that communities are still pretty intrinsically kind of connected to the people who manage them. Lowtax for better or worse is still Lowtax, and he never sold out (to his complete lack of benefit)- even when he's not around a lot you still see/feel the influence. It's part of why this place is still pretty good even in the face of some really bad mod choices over the years- because it's generally correcting back towards the mean.

ResetEra is basically split from a community that was never any good to begin with. None of this poo poo was out of place for Gaf, and the new asylum is being ran by the inmates; is anyone really shocked when it turns out to basically be worse?

Imagine if SA had actually fallen fully apart and the community-ran replacement ended up being directed by perma'd LF/helldump posters or something.

no but people want to hope resetera turned out good because it plays at being uber progressive and people need to believe that a site that leans that way will always be good and not a toxic shithole like the chans. its probably why some folks go out of there way to defend them like when mandalore made a joke. i also feel like SA walks a pretty good line of allowing semi edgy internet culture and also keeping out the psychos and the creeps.

Captain Invictus posted:

SA still has its fair share of shitheads but the forums have swung leftwards pretty radically versus what it was even ten years ago. I don't think it's some bastion of progressive thought just yet or anything, but it's certainly come a long way from the days when it would autoreplace "sir" with a homophobic slur, or when there was SERIOUS OUTRAGE over lowtax banning the usage of that or the hard r. Man, that thread, that loving thread, really put a lot of things into perspective on this site at the time

of course. its far from perfect but id rather it stay somewhat flawed then try to go full purity echo chamber like resetera. like personally i feel like GBS is a happy medium now. you can still be weird and hosed up/dark humor but you can't go full chan.

ArfJason posted:

ehh. only on some areas and even then after trump became president, that poo poo kinda died off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

yeah, pretty much. while i still find the zombaby and the fuckdoll freaks funny. i am still glad we never went full "lets mock the weirdos" kiwifarms type.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
In my head I was thinking more like SASS/SS. Shows how old I am.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Theyre an earlier example, its just that nowadays compared to KF, thay have 0 clout or effect aside moping.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SA is in a pretty decent spot now, outright making GBS threads on marginalized groups is p much not done. But when special cases like Zuarg show up we can still rain it down to our hearts content.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zedd posted:

SA is in a pretty decent spot now, outright making GBS threads on marginalized groups is p much not done. But when special cases like Zuarg show up we can still rain it down to our hearts content.

eh, mods are way better about punishing it but the culture can still be real bad before it gets slapped down. GBS especially, there was a thread very recently about a mastercard policy intended to alleviate deadnaming that had massive transphobia for several pages before being gassed

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

CYBEReris posted:

eh, mods are way better about punishing it but the culture can still be real bad before it gets slapped down. GBS especially, there was a thread very recently about a mastercard policy intended to alleviate deadnaming that had massive transphobia for several pages before being gassed

I see GBS as a lawless wasteland best not entered except for a few good threads, but fair.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I like internet reviews. Have there been any good ones lately?

I don't recall it being posted yet but Defunctland uploaded another video for his Jim Hensen documentary, this time covering his work on The Dark Crystal and relative lack of work on Fragglerock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4mlq6zAxw

Y'all are a bunch of muppets so it should be right up this thread's alley.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Fabricated posted:

Wasn't that run by 100% openly Nazi shithead Weev?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zedd posted:

I see GBS as a lawless wasteland best not entered except for a few good threads, but fair.

it's definitely an improvement over the old days where minority-centered megathreads were practically open buffets for trolls and creeps

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zedd posted:

And the fact that the remaining shittiness is contained to a handful of subforums is pretty impressive considering the size of this place.

Edit: Still, would be pretty cool if we went the Ravelry route and outright banned overt support of Trump.

https://www.ravelry.com/content/no-trump

Furries, and Juggalos, and knitters. The anti-fascist allies we never knew we needed.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 26, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

And the fact that the remaining shittiness is contained to a handful of subforums is pretty impressive considering the size of this place.

Edit: Still, would be pretty cool if we went the Ravelry route and outright banned overt support of Trump.

https://www.ravelry.com/content/no-trump

Furries, and Juggalos, and knitters. The anti-fascist allies we never knew we needed.

I mean we basically have. If you’re an out and out chud, you get ostracized and eventually banned.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Clerical Terrors posted:

Wasn't that run by 100% openly Nazi shithead Weev?

afaik, yes

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Remember when Neogaf imploded and every gaming centric forum on the internet told the fleeing users to piss off. Good times.

Imagine giving a company email to these nutbars.

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 26, 2019

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

a cartoon duck posted:

I don't recall it being posted yet but Defunctland uploaded another video for his Jim Hensen documentary, this time covering his work on The Dark Crystal and relative lack of work on Fragglerock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4mlq6zAxw

Y'all are a bunch of muppets so it should be right up this thread's alley.

i've been loving this series so far

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Defunctland loving rules in general. I didn't realize how much I wanted in depth videos on old theme park rides until I saw his content.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

OldTennisCourt posted:

Defunctland loving rules in general. I didn't realize how much I wanted in depth videos on old theme park rides until I saw his content.

A good presentation can make dumb ideas good, and good ideas great.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

https://twitter.com/PushinUpRoses/status/1143650261405229056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

lobster22221 posted:

A good presentation can make dumb ideas good, and good ideas great.

It really sucks though because I was in Disney this year and going again next year and I really wish I could have seen that Alien ride.