Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm enjoying my merchant run right now at that same midgame window because I find I have a lot more money than I usually would at the same time. Buying and selling trade goods can make insane profits, and because you also get a discount on buying stuff, not just selling it, a lot of your upkeep costs like food and tools are also that little bit cheaper, and outfitting yourself with good armour is also cheaper than usual. Even though I'm significantly behind on where I would normally be with renown, my guys are probably better equipped than my usual midgame company because I have multiple suits of heavy armour already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

vyelkin posted:

I'm enjoying my merchant run right now at that same midgame window because I find I have a lot more money than I usually would at the same time. Buying and selling trade goods can make insane profits, and because you also get a discount on buying stuff, not just selling it, a lot of your upkeep costs like food and tools are also that little bit cheaper, and outfitting yourself with good armour is also cheaper than usual. Even though I'm significantly behind on where I would normally be with renown, my guys are probably better equipped than my usual midgame company because I have multiple suits of heavy armour already.

Which map seed are you using? It might just be that I need to go back to good ol' https://bb.frukso.se/seed/OYTDZXDZSO/ .

I think what bothers me is that I feel like trader origin should allow me to be breaking the game over my knee, instead it's just, like, reasonably balanced with an emphasis on trade :P

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Which map seed are you using? It might just be that I need to go back to good ol' https://bb.frukso.se/seed/OYTDZXDZSO/ .

I think what bothers me is that I feel like trader origin should allow me to be breaking the game over my knee, instead it's just, like, reasonably balanced with an emphasis on trade :P

I'm using "chosenhell"

There's a great dyes city close to where you start, near a city that I easily got to very good relations with. There's also a nice little cluster of mining towns that produce salt and gems/salt on the east side of the map near another big city that frequently has ambushed trade routes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

vyelkin posted:

I'm using "chosenhell"

There's a great dyes city close to where you start, near a city that I easily got to very good relations with. There's also a nice little cluster of mining towns that produce salt and gems/salt on the east side of the map near another big city that frequently has ambushed trade routes.

yeah it unfortunately is infested with Bull People >_<

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

yeah it unfortunately is infested with Bull People >_<
Are you using some mod altering the map generator? chosenhell has lion, sun and arrow nobles.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

Are you using some mod altering the map generator? chosenhell has lion, sun and arrow nobles.

I shouldn't be. Hrm. I'll check when I get home. Maybe I'm thinking of a different map.

edit: ahh I must've miskeyed when I ran it earlier. Lion and Lady hats are not the best hats but they'll do.

Maybe I'll use BBEdit to change the decorated helms into different, better helms once I get them. I prefer to be peacockin', or at least anterlin'.

Have you found any set-with-the-seed camps that have named items?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 24, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I shouldn't be. Hrm. I'll check when I get home. Maybe I'm thinking of a different map.

edit: ahh I must've miskeyed when I ran it earlier. Lion and Lady hats are not the best hats but they'll do.

Maybe I'll use BBEdit to change the decorated helms into different, better helms once I get them. I prefer to be peacockin', or at least anterlin'.

Have you found any set-with-the-seed camps that have named items?

I don't remember where it was, but I found a named warhammer very early on. I think in the southwest of the map, near where you start. Unfortunately I've barely even used it since hammers aren't ideal in the early game when you want to be taking people's armour after they die.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
There don't seem to be a lot of named items or they're mostly in the north.
I've found that 1h hammer as well. I just checked and you can get rumors about the hammer in Varelmark on day 1.
The Necrosavants I posted a screenshot of had a good shield. Hardened Keeper, +24/+15/-15 at 50 Durability. They're northwest of Grubenheim, along the mountain range in a location called Circle of the Bloodbound.
There was also a wolf helmet (Beast Coif, 159/-5)...somewhere. I got it relatively early so it might be always there. I realize this isn't particularly helpful but if any of you find it as well you could post its location.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

how do I deal with necrosavants? - putting riposte and shields and turtling up seems like you can survive, but they still butcher my party, they just all gang bang whoever has the lowest defense.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Southpaugh posted:

how do I deal with necrosavants? - putting riposte and shields and turtling up seems like you can survive, but they still butcher my party, they just all gang bang whoever has the lowest defense.

I usually either put my archers / backline in reserve or give them shields. Turtle your bros by keeping them all together and at least two strong guys (one on each flank) back from the battle line so they can go beat the crap out of the vampires as they fly behind your line.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

The Necrosavants I posted a screenshot of had a good shield. Hardened Keeper, +24/+15/-15 at 50 Durability. They're northwest of Grubenheim, along the mountain range in a location called Circle of the Bloodbound.

Rofl, this was literally the only location I'd done in my run so far, good thing I can rollback a save :P

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Bring nets for necro's if you think you'll be fighting them. I actually have a couple of quickhands thrower bro's with rotation, I just swap about their inventory and they tend to lock down the vamps. If they get jumped they can be rotated into the clump of friendly bros

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
They have cleavers with high MAtk but nothing too crazy. Move some frontliners to the back, put strong guys on the corners. Put archers/polearms in middle if you can. Also dogs are amazing bait for Necros, they will often ignore low bros for dogs, and can buy you an extra round or 2.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can also recommend the two handed barbarian cleaver for necros. It can both knock out their nine-lives and apply bleed in the same round, so it kills them the round after.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mace's too. Can't do the teleporting bullshit if they're stunned.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like that the solution to ancient vampires in this setting is to throw a net over them and beat them with sticks.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

In addition to what others have said, I find clumping up helps a lot with necros. Don't stay in your long line, group up to minimise your team's exposure and to keep everyone close to where the necros pop up so they can step in and swing.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Taunt ruins their day, too. That has been my approach, I find taunt a core talent and keep it on 2 tough tanks.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Southpaugh posted:

Don't bring any archers, front line guys only and have them stay in groups or bunched up.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It’s not just archers, it’s anyone who can’t take a couple cleaver hits. That being said, if you do a 3-5-3 setup, the middle three can be archers/low level polearms and still contribute. In fact high skill archers are very good in the center because they can reach any of the necros around the full circle.

The big thing is to just limit the number of vulnerable guys in a place where by can be focused by several necros.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maces and cleavers are the best weapons against necrosavants. Maces to stun them, and cleavers to bleed (which will help you get around Nince Lives, as well). Don't bring anyone with light armour, not even nimble bros unless they're polearm users. Leave all your archers in reserve. Put some of your best bros (AOE 2-handers or macebros especially) on the corners of your formation, because necros love nothing more than teleporting in to surround someone on a corner. Prioritize stunning them so they stay in one place, and then killing them. They're hard to hit so you may also want bros close to them to wait their turn, have some farther away bros run in to surround them, then take all your attacks in the second half of the round to get surround bonuses. If they start their turn not stunned and are at all surrounded (definitely if there are 3 bros next to them, usually if there are 2 as well) they'll teleport away, so you can game that a little (surround them to make them use an action teleporting away instead of using two actions attacking a weakened bro, don't approach them if they're close to dead and you think the one bro they're squared off with will kill them next turn). They also won't teleport into a situation where they're surrounded (never to somewhere where 3 bros are surrounding the hex, usually not to places where 2 are). Any bros who get seriously wounded, just surround them with a few other bros and they're safe. Guys whose armour gets really beat up, withdraw them before the necros start healing themselves off the bro's HP. One more thing, many necros start fights decently wounded, so try and focus your attention on the ones who start out close to dead. Not always easy since they control their positioning way more than you do, but it still helps sometimes.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

One other thing to know is that Necrosavants are meant to be an endgame enemy. Something I don't love about the game is its complete unwillingness to signal new players with how strong an enemy is before it's casually teleporting into your routing army and collecting lungs for a necklace.

With the tips above and a little luck, you can probably take them on in the midgame, but anything more than 3 or 4 of them is likely to wreck a low level company no matter what you do.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 25, 2019

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah there isn't anything about their spawns that indicates to me that they are supposed to be incredibly dangerous. (I guess killing them is quite rewarding since they drop solid loot but they are so dangerous it barely seems worth it.) I'm in the middle of crisis 2 - the undead rising and got a contract to clear two undead camps one was a coven of necrosavants and the other was a standard necromancer/zombie/geist type thing.

My 134 resolve sergeant bought it in the big battle with orcs so I was restarting despite losing him. I did not appreciate how much he kept the lads from fleeing. He was great and I'm training up a new monk to take his place. This time I hope he wont get a shattered foot right at the start.

The necromancer fight was fine if tedious because my 90 matk bro with a whip failed to kill two geists he was in range of for oh 5? Turns. Goddamn sonofabitch. Lost a new archer boy to the zombies but my nimble polearm bro nipped around to the side and murdered the necromancer.

The necrosavants I turtled up for, placed my bigger bros on the corners, polearms and more vulnerable bros to the centre. I lost another bow bro but I now have a glut of ranged recruits so I was fine with that. Holy water does good work on them, but it was really my cleaver bro who stole the show. That extra bleed damage is a big deal.

I guess the one thing that gives away that necrosavants are v dangerous is that a camp spawned with ancient honor guards, an honour guard champion and a single necrosavant.

There is so much to learn in this game, very much enjoying getting into the nitty gritty of the mechanics. The build a bro system is so satisfying.

The next two things I want to be able to consistently kill are orc warlords and lindwurms, should I be treating them basically the same as each other? Kite them with polearms and crossbows?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
things I hate:

town has "disappearing villagers" but no mission to go hunt that which terrorizes

village has "ambushed trade routes" but no mission to clear and even with the map hack I can't figure out where the drat camp is

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Both items annoy the hell out of me too. If there's a negative modifier the town should be actively seeking to remedy it, you'd think. Instead they're all:

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

NatasDog posted:

Both items annoy the hell out of me too. If there's a negative modifier the town should be actively seeking to remedy it, you'd think. Instead they're all:

They are currently raising the money to hire you via bake sale. All of thier previous funds were used to pay you to cart a barrel of skulls to another continent or recover the mayor's pog collection.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

things I hate:

town has "disappearing villagers" but no mission to go hunt that which terrorizes

village has "ambushed trade routes" but no mission to clear and even with the map hack I can't figure out where the drat camp is

factions giving you a contract in one town to go defend another one on the other side of the map, then you have to return to the start to collect your pay. what.

e: also the target town will always have a bunch of missions you want but can't take because you you have to go back to the other side of the map to turn in

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

factions giving you a contract in one town to go defend another one on the other side of the map, then you have to return to the start to collect your pay. what.

I now quicksave before opening a faction quest, just so I can walk closer to wherever it is and take the quest from the closest town.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I now quicksave before opening a faction quest, just so I can walk closer to wherever it is and take the quest from the closest town.

oh wait holy gently caress what

you can take them anywhere???

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

oh wait holy gently caress what

you can take them anywhere???

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

when you open a faction quest the game "Saves" them at that spot

But if you just don't click it or open it at all, you can just walk to the next town down and usually it'll be available there too

sometimes, rarely, on large maps with lots of towns, you'll get different faction quests if you walk far enough but normally all that happens is that if you walk to the specific town that's linked you can't take the quest at that town (i.e., "clear ruined hut northeast of grafenheide" means you can't take the quest in Grafenheide even if the hut is actually closer to Waltschotz. But you can take the quest in Waltschotz.)

also the game has a quicksave button, f5

saving and loading is very very exploitable in this game in a lot of ways and I encourage it

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So my end game day 560 Battle Brothers are still struggling against the Chosen Barbarians. They're so drat infuriating. I'll admit I'm not 100% optimized, but they shouldn't be harder than a monolith or a kraken.

So was anyone disappointed in the Ijirok battle? I kept so much overwhelm on him that he didn't land a single hit. That was my one and only battle versus him. I will say, badass descriptor before the battle though.

Best I could do was win while still losing 3 men. I have 3 disarms and 2 stuns between my brothers and ugh.

2nd reload, went flawless dodging and utilized dogs as ablative armor. I whittled them down to 7 Chosen before one two shotted my 65 health, 42 Mdef, 300/291 armor 2 hander.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 27, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GodspeedSphere posted:

So my end game day 560 Battle Brothers are still struggling against the Chosen Barbarians. They're so drat infuriating. I'll admit I'm not 100% optimized, but they shouldn't be harder than a monolith or a kraken.

You should probably post about that on the steam forums in the balancing thread, the devs might notice there.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo my best run yet and i just got ambushed by a 6 strong group of alps AND a group of undead with five zombies and two geists.

And i have one dog left because i was on my way to restock from a kennel.

Miiiiight have to lose a couple days here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

There was also a wolf helmet (Beast Coif, 159/-5)...somewhere. I got it relatively early so it might be always there. I realize this isn't particularly helpful but if any of you find it as well you could post its location.

Forgotten Fort west of Sandfels (on an island).

Goose is SW of Grafenheide.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure if you kited a big stack of chosen into the Black Monolith you'd end up with a bunch of extremely confident chosen and no undead.

If there was an endgame "barbarian invasion" crisis, the chosen would destroy the world.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Mordheim is on sale in the Steam sale at the moment and sounds quite similar to Battle Brothers. Turn-based tactical, you have a roster of guys that persists through missions, gets wounded etc. Recent Steam reviews are mixed but I only trust those so far. Any opinions on it in this thread?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

when you open a faction quest the game "Saves" them at that spot

But if you just don't click it or open it at all, you can just walk to the next town down and usually it'll be available there too

sometimes, rarely, on large maps with lots of towns, you'll get different faction quests if you walk far enough but normally all that happens is that if you walk to the specific town that's linked you can't take the quest at that town (i.e., "clear ruined hut northeast of grafenheide" means you can't take the quest in Grafenheide even if the hut is actually closer to Waltschotz. But you can take the quest in Waltschotz.)

also the game has a quicksave button, f5

saving and loading is very very exploitable in this game in a lot of ways and I encourage it

thanks <3

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mazz posted:

So I'm not exactly sure what the gently caress just happened here but it's awesome:

Found this thief with iron jaw and iron lungs, he doesn't have great stars but he has 13/13 in both defenses and 55 in MAtk, figured those perks and those stats are worth lovely stars.

First battle he ends up dying to a longsword raider...but no he didn't?

He could continue his unarmed attack forever and wasn't targeted anymore. Note the -37 HP.

The end screen looked like this:

He's still in the party and theres no obituary entry for him

Dude owns.
I had something like that happen just now. Except not with a bro but with a Hexe. She died - corpse on the ground, dropped her loot items - but also didn't. She still used her skills but I couldn't target her in any way.

Forgotten Fort west of Sandfels (on an island).

Goose is SW of Grafenheide.

282/-26 armor called Heritage Scale Tunic.
Of course, this is pretty late in the game, but I had never been to that region before so the location might have been there since day 1 anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

282/-26 armor called Heritage Scale Tunic.
Of course, this is pretty late in the game, but I had never been to that region before so the location might have been there since day 1 anyway.

unfortunately yeah it's not a generated-with-map site (just checked with the maphack and a day 1 save).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm amazed and saddened that neither expansion went on sale.