Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Bruno's not allowed to lick people anymore. Court order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I don't think anyone was saying that Araki Forgetting Stuff Is Good And Intentional, but that hey, sometimes writers just do stuff that's funny. Bruno licking people is a reactionary moment, Kakyoin eating cherries like that is hilarous, Giorno stuffing his ear into itself is weird, and those things can just be those things by themselves.

There are absolutely plotholes in JoJo that exist because Araki forgot or didn't care about them anymore or changed his mind, and I won't say They're Actually Purposeful, but I do think they're bit of a signature thing at this point and I can't blame him when he's writing and drawing all of this in seven days for fifteen plus years

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Plot Hole: Why doesn't kira simply attack josuke with a giant turtle? Kojima-sensei really fouled up on this one.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
If Jotaro's goal really is to save as many lives as possible in a long-term utilitarian caucus, why doesn't he immediately and exclusively use star platinum to crank a dynamo that powers an independently-funded coastal US concern that is researching consumer-grade cryogenic freezing

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Why does Jonathan, the largest Joestar, not simply eat the other Joestars?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Expect My Mom posted:

Absolutely losing at people calling Bruno's face-licking an "ability" he has
if the “being a freak makes you more powerful, actually” mentality is gonna work in any universe, it’ll be this one

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

I don't think anyone was saying that Araki Forgetting Stuff Is Good And Intentional, but that hey, sometimes writers just do stuff that's funny. Bruno licking people is a reactionary moment, Kakyoin eating cherries like that is hilarous, Giorno stuffing his ear into itself is weird, and those things can just be those things by themselves.

There are absolutely plotholes in JoJo that exist because Araki forgot or didn't care about them anymore or changed his mind, and I won't say They're Actually Purposeful, but I do think they're bit of a signature thing at this point and I can't blame him when he's writing and drawing all of this in seven days for fifteen plus years

Yeah that's fair, but it's also fine to criticize Araki for Giorno saying he does not like repeating himself at first then proceeding to do that basically every future episode. While it's arguable that he sees talking to Luca and the Gang differently, all things considered it is most likely that simply Araki forgot... Because, let's be honest, he does that a lot, especially in part 5. We've been over Giorno's issues a million times, we can add that to the pile and move on without saying that keeping characterization consistent is too difficult for weekly manga writers to successfully do or arguing that Josuke is a good character because him getting mad about people dissing his hair only happens when he's introduced.

Partly because the latter one is false! Josuke's hair complex has a traditional payoff in that it leads to him going berserk on Rohan and trashing his office, thus cementing their dislike for each other, so it's not an appropriate example to use. I would argue this is one of the (many) reasons Josuke is one of the better jojos, because it's not just his powers but also his personality that is more traditionally written and keeps the wacky one-off character moments to a minimum.

I love the licking of liars and cherries both but they don't replace proper characterization.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The licking thing is just more tied into him being a creepy weirdo in his first appearance that doesn't really match with how he is after the fact, but that's not exactly rare for Jojo. Okuyasu had shades of this, and Kakyoin had the weird painting thing.

Josuke's hair not being a thing after Rohan is more a "wait, that was it?" sort of realization in hindsight rather than something that was forgotten. It had a resolution, it just seemed like there was going to be more (because of the origin story) but what you see is what you get.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

yeah actually they will posted:

Plot Hole: Why doesn't kira simply attack josuke with a giant turtle? Kojima-sensei really fouled up on this one.
Why didn't Abbachio, as the largest Gang-star, not simply eat the others?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Speaking of licking, Rohan licks spiders.

...There's a lot of licking in jojo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Johnny Joestar posted:

joseph's dumb phrase-guessing thing got old as poo poo

I hate you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Joseph's thing exactly and precisely fulfilled its welcome, IMO. More than another episode or two and he would've started looking lovely and dull.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Weird that they dropped Joseph's ability to perfectly disguise himself as a beautiful woman.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nessus posted:

Joseph's thing exactly and precisely fulfilled its welcome, IMO. More than another episode or two and he would've started looking lovely and dull.

But they didn't bring it back for Stardust Crusaders other than that one episode. :(

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Weird that they dropped Joseph's ability to perfectly disguise himself as a beautiful woman.

My personal head canon is that he'd have brought out the makeup and dress for the other parts, too, if Jotaro or someone else hadn't stopped him.

"This D'arby guy is pretty good at games, but I bet a shut-in like him would instantly lose his cool if a beautiful woman were to walk into the room..."

"I heard DIO has an insatiable appetite for women. I know it's a dangerous gambit, but we need every edge we can get against him, so it's a risk I'll have to take..."

"How are we going to find an invisible baby? I know, I'll dress like her mommy, and instead she'll be the one crawling to us."

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Why don't they use hamon and stands?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dr.acula posted:

Why don't they use hamon and stands?

Joseph did, but since Hamon is only useful against vampires, there's no reason for anyone else to learn it with all the vampires being super dead.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GimmickMan posted:

Yeah that's fair, but it's also fine to criticize Araki for Giorno saying he does not like repeating himself at first then proceeding to do that basically every future episode. While it's arguable that he sees talking to Luca and the Gang differently, all things considered it is most likely that simply Araki forgot... Because, let's be honest, he does that a lot, especially in part 5. We've been over Giorno's issues a million times, we can add that to the pile and move on without saying that keeping characterization consistent is too difficult for weekly manga writers to successfully do or arguing that Josuke is a good character because him getting mad about people dissing his hair only happens when he's introduced.

Partly because the latter one is false! Josuke's hair complex has a traditional payoff in that it leads to him going berserk on Rohan and trashing his office, thus cementing their dislike for each other, so it's not an appropriate example to use. I would argue this is one of the (many) reasons Josuke is one of the better jojos, because it's not just his powers but also his personality that is more traditionally written and keeps the wacky one-off character moments to a minimum.

I love the licking of liars and cherries both but they don't replace proper characterization.

Totally agreed! Buccaletti is an excellent example, going from a creepy threatening licking weirdo to a wise noble boss.

Josuke is my number 2 JoJo, Joseph is my number 1. He's consistent from episode 1 and I love all his tricks (his guessing what you'll say next never got old to me). In fact I was really disappointed with how he was presented in 4, they made a big deal of him showing up then when he finally appears he's a sad old man who does nothing at all. We don't even see him meet his daughter, and I was definitely expecting some kind of interesting conflict between him and Josuke. But invisible baby lol

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Joseph did, but since Hamon is only useful against vampires, there's no reason for anyone else to learn it with all the vampires being super dead.

It does other stuff like walking on water and leaf hang-gliders, but throwing nonsensical life-energy abilities into peoples' toolkits on top of stands would get ridiculous quickly.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Gruckles posted:

It does other stuff like walking on water and leaf hang-gliders, but throwing nonsensical life-energy abilities into peoples' toolkits on top of stands would get ridiculous quickly.

So you are saying it should be brought back?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Gruckles posted:

but enough about gold experience

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I mean if Joseph had kept up with his Hamon he probably wouldn’t have been such a wreck in Part 4.

I mean, look at Lisa Lisa :v:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Lisa Lisa immediately barging into the fake RAF officer's chambers and one-shotting him right after hearing of her husband's murder is still the #1 most badass move in all of JoJo for me.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Jojo is a good comedy. Repeating stuff is bad for comedy. Do people actually hate the painting Kakyoin made, and stuff like that? gently caress, sometimes I just remember something and say to my boyfriend "hey remember that time when character just did a thing?" and we share a laugh. I kinda think that's why Jojo is so famous, and why there are so many memes floating around. It's a loving dumb show that's very self-aware and sincere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

So you are saying it should be brought back?
I agree, everything should be exactly the way it was in one part, forever :v:

Hamon was cool but it overcomplicates things. Most of its practical effects that aren't "makes vampires dead" are covered by various people's Stand bullshit anyway.

Araki even kind of explains it that you have to have the talent. Speedwagon probably could've popped a Stand if he got hit by the arrow but he couldn't breathe good breathes. All the post-Joseph Jojos probably could've learned it but Jotaro was pressed for time AND had a power already, Josuke had no vampires to deal with, and Giorno would just use it to drink more piss.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1143354481712795649

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Kwyndig posted:

Didnt it have healing properties as well? I mean sure it's hard to maintain but it seemed to have a lot of health benefits and grant extended lifetime.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, I mean he could have made a killing teaching breathing exercises to folks with the promise of better health and reduced aging. Hell, people do poo poo like that even when it's not an actual, demonstrable superpower.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What the hell

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Oh you didn't know that McAfee was as criminally insane as he is rich?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rudoku posted:

Oh you didn't know that McAfee was as criminally insane as he is rich?

No and I thought he disappeared a while back.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

John McAfee Wants To Live A Quite Life

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

If he's that rich he can afford to hire someone to dress as his stand and follow him around.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
MacAfee's stand would be Scatman John :haw:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Momomo posted:

Josuke's hair not being a thing after Rohan is more a "wait, that was it?" sort of realization in hindsight rather than something that was forgotten. It had a resolution, it just seemed like there was going to be more (because of the origin story) but what you see is what you get.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the fact it didn't come up again. I think the only thing that was forgotten about Josuke is that he can't fix things properly when he's mad, which only was really a thing until Angelo died.

But then, he punched through a hostage and that guy Angelo was possessing and fixed them both with no problem, so :shrug:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
In hindsight it's no surprise that McAfee identifies strongly with Jotaro, as they both have a documented interest in aquatic mammals.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think the only thing that was forgotten about Josuke is that he can't fix things properly when he's mad, which only was really a thing until Angelo died.

Tell that to Terunosuke Miyamoto. :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
John McAfee and his stand, 「WHALE ON THIS」

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Carlosologist posted:

I mean if Joseph had kept up with his Hamon he probably wouldn’t have been such a wreck in Part 4.

I mean, look at Lisa Lisa :v:

I'm not sure if this was in supplementary material or fan speculation, but somewhere it was suggested he let go of his training so he would grow old with Suzie Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

We don't even see him meet his daughter, and I was definitely expecting some kind of interesting conflict between him and Josuke. But invisible baby lol

Tomoko? Or are you talking about how Holly never shows up again?

Dragonatrix posted:

Tell that to Terunosuke Miyamoto. :v:

Okay, aside from that other time. Personally, I always saw that as "Josuke can intentionally heal someone wrong".

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 26, 2019