Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

B-Nasty posted:

I guess I just don't see this as that scary. He/They are just using a computer to help find properties faster that match what most (smart) RE investors already do: if you can buy a place where it rents with positive cash-flow from day one, that's a good investment. It seems like something that, assuming supply isn't limited by restrictive zoning laws, will balance out as rents drop as the supply increases.

It sounds like the one big advantage they have is being able to do renovations below-typical-cost, due to their scale. However, they would still be competing with DIY buyers or even some flippers who discount their own 'sweat-equity' labor to zero.

I know it's antithetical to the 'House Buying Thread', but owning a house -- outside of certain areas and lucky conditions -- is hardly a guaranteed path to massive riches. If they're renting to people, and especially if they prefer long-term renters, it's not like people are homeless. They are less of a bottom feeder than most house flippers, who are just middlemen and add little long-term value to the housing market.

Scale is the entire point of this and scale is how companies like that are going to affect, in the future if not now already, the home-buying experience of everyone in this thread. Enough hedge fund and venture money is sitting around without a clear opportunity in bonds, stocks or commodities that they thought: "hey, let's just buy up all the single-family housing that we can and make money that way." And they're doing it, and it's never been done at this scale before, and they're aggressively scaling up in a nonlinear fashion. "It's not like people are homeless" is a remarkable view, but I'll let it sit there since this isn't a political thread.

I do find your faith in supply-and-demand lowering rents (and therefore this business model) quite amazing given what informal cartels can do in limited markets. And housing isn't exactly a luxury people can just avoid buying.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Something like this is already happening in Austin. There are a few local companies that snap up unrenovated homes at 50% over their 2010 value rather than the 100%+ increase even mildly updated homes go for. They do quick flipper renovations and sell them for what private sellers are asking.

The consequence here is that there are far fewer unmolested homes available, and they get listed at higher prices knowing these flipper companies will snap them up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
More people renting because buying a house is much more difficult due to investors buying up single family homes. Very cool.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

B-Nasty posted:

I guess I just don't see this as that scary. He/They are just using a computer to help find properties faster that match what most (smart) RE investors already do: if you can buy a place where it rents with positive cash-flow from day one, that's a good investment. It seems like something that, assuming supply isn't limited by restrictive zoning laws, will balance out as rents drop as the supply increases.

It sounds like the one big advantage they have is being able to do renovations below-typical-cost, due to their scale. However, they would still be competing with DIY buyers or even some flippers who discount their own 'sweat-equity' labor to zero.

I know it's antithetical to the 'House Buying Thread', but owning a house -- outside of certain areas and lucky conditions -- is hardly a guaranteed path to massive riches. If they're renting to people, and especially if they prefer long-term renters, it's not like people are homeless. They are less of a bottom feeder than most house flippers, who are just middlemen and add little long-term value to the housing market.

headline: mid-00s regdate still really mad that george w bush failed at social security privatization

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

editing in quote since this thread moved fast:

Jealous Cow posted:

Something like this is already happening in Austin. There are a few local companies that snap up unrenovated homes at 50% over their 2010 value rather than the 100%+ increase even mildly updated homes go for. They do quick flipper renovations and sell them for what private sellers are asking.

The consequence here is that there are far fewer unmolested homes available, and they get listed at higher prices knowing these flipper companies will snap them up.

I view flipping as entirely different and less scary to the individual home-buying process (and hence this thread) than the multi-decade corporate ownership and rental of millions / tens of millions of single-family homes. Flipping has always existed in some form.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That guy is engaging in a form of arbitrage, in which he identifies mispriced houses on the basis of prevailing rents in the area and some calculation of renovation costs (the need for renovations is what is causing those houses to be mispriced in the first place). That relates to his advantage over other corporate competitors who can afford to make sight-unseen cash offers within 12 hours of listing. When his competition catches up, he'll wind up bidding on the same units his competitors are bidding, and the sellers will raise prices to meet that demand, carving into his margins.

But it speaks to a more general problem of the cash investor's advantage over the family that needs a mortgage in order to buy. Sellers near-universally prefer a no-financing-contingency cash offer, which means buyers needing mortgages must pay extra in order to make their offer attractive. That's the source of the issue for ordinary people who can't cough up two or three hundred thousand dollars in cash to buy a house appropriate for a family income of 60k. Without regulating that advantage in some way, we are shifting the country's middle class from owners to renters, and that has follow-on affects: the corporations reap the benefit of rising housing values instead of that middle class, the middle class loses the security of ownership and as renters are likely to be more mobile, less tied to a specific community, less involved with that community, etc., which in turn affects community governance.

The silver lining is that big money investors have little tolerance for failure. When the economy slides, middle class homeowners will likely stay in houses that are now worth less than when they bought them, as long as they can keep up with the mortgage payments; investors, on the other hand, will insist on dumping them so they can move what remains of their capital to better investment opportunities. This isn't necessarily a good thing, though: huge homeowning corporations dumping their underperforming assets onto the market could closely resemble the mortgage crisis of 2007-11 in which a flood of foreclosed units on the market depressed values so badly that it had an accellerating effect, putting more and more individual owners underwater and unable to sell when they needed to due to job losses preventing them from keeping up with payments.

So I there's a systemic risk to allowing corporate speculators to accumulate significant fractions of the domestic housing stock, in addition to and beyond the basic issue of corporations using their buying power to steal the wealth generation of home ownership away from the middle class. Concentrating ownership could create "too big to fail" institutions that have to be bailed out to avoid the disastrous effects on the housing markets if they are allowed to collapse and dump all their assets at once.

That's my half-assed seat of the pants take, anyway.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 26, 2019

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I generally agree with your take, including the 'too big to fail' point, but note that his arbitrage is very different from something like a currency arbitrage because he has a competitive advantage against a middle-class home buyer, even if they had the same information: his renovation/repair costs are way lower due to scale (as mentioned in the article). Therefore he can always make a better offer.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

It's like, wow, imagine if some home construction company had near infinite capital and they just decided to only build rental single family homes. And imagine this happened 50 years ago and everyone living in post-Eisenhower-highway suburbs was renting instead of owning. Just try to imagine that reality and break your brain.

Now imagine competing against that company when bidding on a home you're trying to buy.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just want a house that's not next to a bridge in a swamp behind the dump.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Powers posted:

I just want a house that's not next to a bridge in a swamp behind the dump.

I live in San Jose and that's basically my thinking. Definitely leaving the bay area to buy. I was looking at houses in Westminster (Denver) this weekend and none were over 400k. And the people in Denver are like "houses are unaffordably expensive!"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Regions are funny. I was in Texas for work last week and the property taxes were described as really high in the area I was in at $2,000/yr. Here in NH, you'll pay $2,000 tax annually on a <$100,000 house on a postage stamp lot, if you can find such a thing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pmchem posted:

I generally agree with your take, including the 'too big to fail' point, but note that his arbitrage is very different from something like a currency arbitrage because he has a competitive advantage against a middle-class home buyer, even if they had the same information: his renovation/repair costs are way lower due to scale (as mentioned in the article). Therefore he can always make a better offer.

Don't worry, I'm taking up the fight for the little guy by never pulling permits!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That doesn’t sound right, Mr. Powers. Last I checked taxes in, say, Houston, Austin, or San Antonio were in the range of 2.5-3% of market price (not even assessed value). I don’t live there, though.

Ok, maybe not that high, but easily over 2%.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 26, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m in the San Antonio area and property taxes run 2.1 to 2.7 % of the market value of the house depending on exactly where you are.

My house is valued at about 370K and taxes are just under 8,000 for the year. I’m in a lower tax area. If I lived in San Antonio proper they’d be about 9500 or so. This is before any exemptions but let’s not go there to keep things simple.

Parts of Houston or other areas with MUD taxes can be over 3%.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Maybe I misheard what they said, which makes the rest of the conversation that happened after really strange. It was the Dallas area.

E: I don't know what happened in that conversation. Looks like TX property tax is split the same way NH is with municipal and school. Maybe they were talking municipal only, but that would make no sense for talking total tax. Maybe the municipal rate was really high for TX?

carticket fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 26, 2019

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

San Antonio as well, taxes will be about $5k before any additional factors and being outside city limits

It was probably $2k for schools, with a proposal to raise taxes by a few points to build a new football stadium.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

redreader posted:

I live in San Jose and that's basically my thinking. Definitely leaving the bay area to buy. I was looking at houses in Westminster (Denver) this weekend and none were over 400k. And the people in Denver are like "houses are unaffordably expensive!"

Do it. I too am in the bay and we're moving away in two weeks. It's crazy getting a house half the price for double the size.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

Yeah his arbitrage is exploiting the mispricing of those houses by other corporate cash buyers. He's locating mispricing on that basis using his (much vaunted by the article) extra specially good machine learning algorithms that help identify properties that are overly discounted due to condition issues. That's not a big moat, and my expectation is that companies take notice of what he's doing and how, develop their own algorithms, achieve sizes that also allows them to get similarly cheaper prices on renovations, and gradually reduce his technology moat. At that point, multiple corporations compete when bidding on those "mispriced" homes, prompting sellers to raise prices for those cash bidders. As those prices get raised, the arbitrage opportunity is reduced.

This assumes that a free market is retained, that is, article dude doesn't grow so fast and so effectively that he becomes a defacto monopoly in the markets he plays in. That may not be a safe assumption.

And of course this is all aside from the way that all cash bidders, including especially those with access to cheaper remodeling costs, have an unfair advantage over the buyer who must include a financing contingency in their offer.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

pmchem posted:

Scale is the entire point of this and scale is how companies like that are going to affect, in the future if not now already, the home-buying experience of everyone in this thread. Enough hedge fund and venture money is sitting around without a clear opportunity in bonds, stocks or commodities that they thought: "hey, let's just buy up all the single-family housing that we can and make money that way." And they're doing it, and it's never been done at this scale before, and they're aggressively scaling up in a nonlinear fashion. "It's not like people are homeless" is a remarkable view, but I'll let it sit there since this isn't a political thread.

It's just a non-issue. Even the article itself states it: "Institutional investors own only about 2% of America’s 15 million single-family rental homes."

Computers run amok or the evil, hedge fund investor isn't who you have to worry about; you're more likely to be outbid by a local, wanna be RE mogul who attended a seminar. If houses can be purchased as rentals such that they cash flow, people are going to do that. The only real way that changes is if house prices go up and/or rents go down until it balances. Involving the government in the housing market typically leads to disastrous, unintended consequences.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

How problematic is buying a FSBO?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

B-Nasty posted:

It's just a non-issue. Even the article itself states it: "Institutional investors own only about 2% of America’s 15 million single-family rental homes."

You miss the point of my posts and ignore other parts of the article. I repeatedly discussed the future problems this business model presents, on a multi-decade time horizon. I was not discussing current day issues. As the article states in no less than 3 spots, the CEO of that company wants "to get to 1 million homes in the next 15 years or so." That's just one company, and that's less than 20 years. Imagine several companies doing this, and what things look like in 50+ years. Very quickly, you have corporations possibly owning more than half of all single family homes in the USA, and serving as our new corporate landlords. Home buyers will be bidding against them.

B-Nasty posted:

Involving the government in the housing market typically leads to disastrous, unintended consequences.

Well, that's certainly a galaxy-brain level opinion to hold in the wake of the consequences of lax oversight and regulation that led to the financial crisis, Wall Street mortgage-backed-security related bailouts, and Great Recession.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

Depends on the owners expectations versus reality. If they understand how it all works and are willing to play ball correctly (basically, they have a real estate attorney) it should be fine.

It should be apparent very quickly if they are morons.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

H110Hawk posted:

Depends on the owners expectations versus reality. If they understand how it all works and are willing to play ball correctly (basically, they have a real estate attorney) it should be fine.

It should be apparent very quickly if they are morons.

They are running an open house and understand commission reality and are offering 2% towards buyer commission. Unfortunately, based on photos and property description, it's probably overpriced by 7-10% or so, in my view.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr. Powers posted:

They are running an open house and understand commission reality and are offering 2% towards buyer commission. Unfortunately, based on photos and property description, it's probably overpriced by 7-10% or so, in my view.

Generally when I've seen FSBO homes it's because they owe so much on the house they can't sell it while paying the normal 6% commission plus fees without putting cash into the deal. Them listing at an unrealistic price is no surprise.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mr. Powers posted:

It's not, other than that I don't think I've ever seen a FSBO house listed at a reasonable price.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A guy I know sold his house as FSBO but it was during an insane time a few years ago, when any desirable house got like eight offers within a day of listing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

gvibes posted:

It's not, other than that I don't think I've ever seen a FSBO house listed at a reasonable price.

This lines up with the pricing on it.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Put it this way: there are brokers whose entire career is based on calling up FSBOs and offering to list their house, because most of those people find out pretty quickly they're in wayyyyy over their head.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

pmchem posted:

They can't outbid owner occupants, because they need to make a certain amount of money for the purchase to be profitable. Many sellers would take a higher offer with contingencies over a lower cash offer. And many sellers will hold out for a better offer after getting an offer the first day, waiting for an open house

This companies cost of renovations may be better than the norm for the industry, but it doesnt mean they have the lowest cost. DIY flippers can afford to pay more to the seller and still make more money than businesses like this because of sweat equity, lower financing costs(mortgage rates are lower than what returns the company is paying investors), or cash to buy distressed homes, and the capital gains exclusion.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

redreader posted:

Westminster isn’t Denver

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Hauki posted:

Westminster isnt Denver

Looks close enough to me

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

lampey posted:

They can't outbid owner occupants, because they need to make a certain amount of money for the purchase to be profitable. Many sellers would take a higher offer with contingencies over a lower cash offer. And many sellers will hold out for a better offer after getting an offer the first day, waiting for an open house

This companies cost of renovations may be better than the norm for the industry, but it doesnt mean they have the lowest cost. DIY flippers can afford to pay more to the seller and still make more money than businesses like this because of sweat equity, lower financing costs(mortgage rates are lower than what returns the company is paying investors), or cash to buy distressed homes, and the capital gains exclusion.

This is what i was trying to type up. An owner-occupier will also overpay for some trendy fixture and be stuck with it forever, while renters will only overpay for that trendy feature as long as it is popular and then it will just be dated.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Those $400k places near Denver all need a lot of work and also consider you might be taking a very large pay cut. :bang:

If you are not, then....congrats!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man I'd kill for 400k in Portland - count your lucky stars Denver.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I just listed my townhouse for $385k in Portland, please buy it

I'll give you a free gun

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'll give you a free gun

There's a joke in here somewhere about your stolen guns...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My CPA just told me she "has no idea" if the sale of my townhouse is going to trigger a $30,000 capital gains tax bill or not

Glad i pay her $700 a year for such expert advice

And depending on how much information she had before your call your response was somewhere in between "I'll be finding another CPA" and "you have until COB tomorrow to give me this information", right? I'm assuming she was already provided with the relevant documentation.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'll give you a free gun

I swear to god if you claim it's Portland and it's in loving Bethany I'm going to take you up on your offer for the gun.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kirios posted:

I swear to god if you claim it's Portland and it's in loving Bethany I'm going to take you up on your offer for the gun.

:negative: Unincorporated Washington County, but it's a Portland address!!!!!!

And for the offer; my door is always open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

pmchem posted:

Home buyers will be bidding against them.

So what?

His company, or computer program or whatever, will only bid up to the point that it cash-flows from day one. This isn't some speculator sitting on properties for decades hoping for appreciation to kick in; he finds what amounts to under-priced properties and/or undesirable ones (without renovations), fixes them, and rents them.

I'm not sure why you think it's a human right to be able to purchase a property that would not only cost less (PITI) than it would rent for, but would also be easy to keep rented out. You also completely forget about the other side of the transaction, who benefit from someone actually buying their house, especially with a fast close for cash.