Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
PSA: CMANO-everything slashes prices per the Steam summer sale:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/10620/Command_Defcon_One_Edition/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/321410/Command_Modern_Air__Naval_Operations_WOTY/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/397180/Command_Northern_Inferno/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/614130/Command_Chains_of_War/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/718710/Command_Shifting_Sands/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/785930/Command_The_Silent_Service/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1036420/Command_Desert_Storm/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think I'll push the button on that bundle sale once steam stops crapping itself.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

War in the East and Barbarosa are both 60+% off on Steam. Clearly the end times are upon us, some Grog devs are actually doing good sales. :thunk:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

War in the East and Barbarosa are both 60+% off on Steam. Clearly the end times are upon us, some Grog devs are actually doing good sales. :thunk:

Oh Vic and the Grigsby guys have been long doing this. As Dimitris is demonstrating, up-selling with bundle packs is a thing even at the more hardcore end of the spectrum.

e: also pulled the trigger of TOAWIV at 50% off, been waiting for that one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Will you look at that, Military Simulation Games is a standalone promoted category in the steam sale.

What's in there? Arma?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wait. Why is Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations WOTY discounted to £31 and WOTY and Northern Inferno discounted to £20?

Also Pike and Shot Campaigns, or Field of Glory II?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

I've got Pike and Shot and, if you like the time period, it's quite good. FOG 2 has the bonus benefit of being compatible with the new strategic game that's coming out next month.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Deptfordx posted:

Pike and Shot only if you like the era. FoG2 is, in my opinion, the far better game.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

What's in there? Arma?

Halo, lol

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

e: also pulled the trigger of TOAWIV at 50% off, been waiting for that one.

Report back on whether it was worth it

e:

Deptfordx posted:

Gameplay-wise they have extremely similar mechanics. FoG 2 is prettier and is generally more polished though, so if you like the two eras about the same I'd lean towards that.

sum fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 26, 2019

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
FoG2 for $15 is low enough I kinda have to get it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
FoG II is easily worth $15 even without FoGE integration.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Been playing a lot of RTW2. Really makes me want to play some more WiTP; unfortunately, I cannot stand playing the scripted AI; and my pbem games always die early, plus I hate waiting days for turns.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sum posted:

Report back on whether it was worth it

I refunded after 15 minutes. Sorry but in TYOOL 2019 you need to accept that people may have bought a monitor with a standard native resolution sometime in the last 10 years and make sure your software can scale to it.

Decisive Campaigns does it, CMANO does it, you can cludge it and make everything a little blurry if you need to, but no excuses for not doing it at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I refunded after 15 minutes. Sorry but in TYOOL 2019 you need to accept that people may have bought a monitor with a standard native resolution sometime in the last 10 years and make sure your software can scale to it.

Decisive Campaigns does it, CMANO does it, you can cludge it and make everything a little blurry if you need to, but no excuses for not doing it at all.

This is low-key one of my huge hang-ups with WITE because it won't scale properly to 1366x768

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I avoid this issue by scaling the window to the scale of screenshots I'm taking.

Using a broken system to save time. I'm weird though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Are we talking "can't scale to 1440p / 4k" or "can't scale to 1080p"?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Are we talking "can't scale to 1440p / 4k" or "can't scale to 1080p"?

:allears:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was honestly just assuming it was can't scale to 1080p. Being able to scale to 1080p basically gets you half-assed 4k support for free (it wouldn't be true 4k, but it'd look fine because it's literally just a doubled 1080p so there's no stretching). I guess it could be 1440 though, or one of those ultrawide monitors with a weird aspect ratio.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Alchenar posted:

I....what? TOAW4? I play it at 1440p unscaled, and it's absolutely normal. This confuses the hell out of me. There's a Graphics entry under the [Scaling] section of the "Opart 4 Fonts.ini" for scaling text and some UI elements, but I haven't needed it on my desktop.

It's certainly your prerogative! But I don't want people to stay away from it based on just that, because I don't see any issue myself.

Ed: I picked the screen with the smallest text I could find, just to serve as an example at 2560x1440:

Ed2: Oh wait, do you mean scaling for smaller resolutions?

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 26, 2019

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It also worked out of the box for me at 1440p.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
Any opinions on Steel Division: Normandy 44 as a single player game? 66% off in the Steam sale - I'm either gonna buy it or remove it from my wishlist.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Children of a Dead Earth is on Steam and that game practically requires dual PhDs in nuclear physics and material science.

Or a lot of trial and error.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Invader Zym posted:

Any opinions on Steel Division: Normandy 44 as a single player game? 66% off in the Steam sale - I'm either gonna buy it or remove it from my wishlist.

Single player campaign is a handful of scripted missions, it's not worth it.

But if you don't might fighting AI in skirmishes I found it pretty fun.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
They could have done so much with the campaign's, something which it seems they've taken on board with SD2 but even some sort of campaign/map editor could have extended it. But DLC campaigns would have been a winner.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
SD2 dynamic campaigns have me very intrigued. I don't have a good sense of how they actually work yet, but it's really tempting me to pick it up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Funny thing if you look at steamcharts - Steel Division 2 superficially looks like it's doing well, but it's got half the launch numbers of Steel Division 1 and rapidly falling off. Neither have the staying power of Red Dragon.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
As someone who enjoys the CM games I'm looking at the Graviteam range of games, with 85% off should i go with Tank Warfare? I'm really looking for something that's an in-between CM Normandy and HOI and with SD2 being full price I'm looking for a similar fix of a dynamic campaign and I've heard generally good things.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Depends what theater you're interested in. Tunisia is obviously the North Africa campaign. Mius Front is probably their biggest game with a ton of DLC and is a good starting point.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Popete posted:

Depends what theater you're interested in. Tunisia is obviously the North Africa campaign. Mius Front is probably their biggest game with a ton of DLC and is a good starting point.

Does it have both eastern and western front? As a Tanky I'm after some decent armoured warfare at battalion level as I've realised that while playing CM:BS it's incredibly small in scale in terms of armour as cramming a Troop of tanks in to a 2km frontage is ridiculous.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mius Front is Eastern Theater only, so only Russian/German stuff. There are plenty of tanks, but also static trench lines and AT guns.

Tunisia Tank Warfare is pretty heavy on tanks and huge open dessert maps. I never really played much of it because the first campaign mission I tried had my band of lovely Shermans going up against a column of Tigers and I couldn't penetrate them even from behind point blank. I enjoyed Mius Front setting a lot more.

That said, both games play exactly the same. It's just a matter of which theater interests you more.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

ZombieLenin posted:

Been playing a lot of RTW2. Really makes me want to play some more WiTP; unfortunately, I cannot stand playing the scripted AI; and my pbem games always die early, plus I hate waiting days for turns.

You should try one of the smaller scenarios - I have a pretty fun Guadalcanal run going right now with some Russian guy. I sunk Zuikaku and Shokaku but lost all my CVs but a badly-damaged Wasp in the process, so freaking CVL Ryujo is queen of the south seas now

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Invader Zym posted:

I never bothered with MP and barely touched the campaign but I enjoyed noodling around with the division creator and trying them out against the AI in skirmish mode.

Re: Pike and Shot vs FOG 2. I was leaning on FOG because it's cheaper and looks more polished.

I was wondering though what exactly is the integration with the forthcoming FOG: Empires that people keep mentioning.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

SD2 is better than SD 44 by far. Much better campaign too.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I have been really enjoying the SD2 multiplayer since it hit beta. It is a marked improvement over SD '44. The number of tanks especially is much more interesting to play with in SD2, the increased engagement ranges, and improved mechanics surrounding elevation are really nice too.

One of the biggest problems with SD '44 was the deckbuilding was almost pointless, SD2 is still no where near the glory of the Wargame deck system, but most of the divisions actually offer a few distinct choices to make in each slot, and the divisions that are launching with the game provide a nice spread of options.

It also feels like all the balance changes make the game really tight. Infantry finally feel right, they don't get completely evaporated (unless you drop really really big HE on them). But they also aren't totally invincible. There is an interesting interplay between the differently armed infantry squads.

Also AA can get kills now, you are still best off with fighters to finish things off.

Worst part about the game is team mates that sit back and only throw planes and artillery at the enemy but refuse to take ground.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

I was wondering though what exactly is the integration with the forthcoming FOG: Empires that people keep mentioning.

Empires is kind of like a paradox grand strategy game and if you have fog2 you can fight the battles instead of having them resolved with dice rolls a la Eu4/imperator.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

VendoViper posted:

Worst part about the game is team mates that sit back and only throw planes and artillery at the enemy but refuse to take ground.

Sounds exactly like Wargame lol.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Empires is kind of like a paradox grand strategy game and if you have fog2 you can fight the battles instead of having them resolved with dice rolls a la Eu4/imperator.

Ok. How does that work?

Is it all going to be smoothly integrated or is it going to be some byzantine save your game, exit, launch FOG II, load the save from the other game, play it out, save the result, quit, load back into empires, load the save state madness.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Basically the latter, but Empires can launch FoG2 automatically!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's fairly smooth. When you're in Empires and a battle comes up, you press a 'Play in FOG2' button. FOG2 starts automatically and you press a "fight battle" button. Fight the battle and the result is automatically sent to Empires. You switch back to Empires and press 'import results' and you're done.