Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bless your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

dios bendiga este culo

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Untrustable posted:

"bless your heart" is a versatile phrase that has never been used in a positive way. It sounds positive but it runs the gamut from "you got what you deserved" to "you dumb poo poo".

I have only ever used it in a nice way and I feel like that passive-aggressive reading is a relatively recent development that everyone just assumes is true because they like the idea of it being true, and so in a way it became true. Anyway, content:

TheMaskedUgly posted:

I spent hours in Black and White training my creature (the stupid cow) to learn the highest level, hardest to learn spell, which was a meteor storm.
Somehow, my creature tied this spell to other behaviour, specifically when it needed to poo (something I had already tied to 'poo on the fields')

End result, any time my creature needed to do his business, he'd run across the map to my farms, poo poo, and then call down Armageddon. I did not find a solution to this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Oh, you touch my TajMahal
Mmm, my ding ding dong

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have only ever used it in a nice way and I feel like that passive-aggressive reading is a relatively recent development that everyone just assumes is true because they like the idea of it being true, and so in a way it became true. Anyway, content:

Nah it has always had multiple meanings both positive and negative. It wasn't right for polite society women to be vulgar and all, so the doublespeak insults became a thing. If it only was negative then you'd never be able to get away back handing it to someone in public.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

peanut butler is a magician, and also a self-owner
Lmfao that's some Philosophy 99 beginner solipsism poo poo, embarrassing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmfao that's some Philosophy 99 beginner solipsism poo poo, embarrassing

It's like a Monty Python sketch

"Behold!! I have transcended the symbolic order with my sorcerous wiles!"
"Ooh the cheek, you've just dressed up some bog standard solipsism with a top hat and hand flourishes"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dameius posted:

Nah it has always had multiple meanings both positive and negative. It wasn't right for polite society women to be vulgar and all, so the doublespeak insults became a thing. If it only was negative then you'd never be able to get away back handing it to someone in public.

Ah do declare, Ah have the vapors. :tutbutt: :gas:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Deep South culture has been steeped in decorum almost as much as racism, there's absolutely been an underhanded meaning to just about every "precious" Southern phrase since time immemorial

Related: everyone should watch Steel Magnolias, both because it's a great movie despite the super stilted dialogue and because it's a great example of that sort of thing

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Neophyte posted:

Jeez what's the big deal, just replace the font ball with another one that's got the characters you want

FrangibleCover posted:

Tildes are stored in the balls?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

sweet thursday posted:

And here we see the Goon Weed that sprouts between the cracks in a thread, making everyone wonder "how does life find itself there?"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That thread is absolutely stacked.

joke_explainer posted:

*EPIC POLICE FAIL COP SHOOTS STRIPPER IN BACK SIX TIMES AS SHE RUNS THROUGH A DOZEN PLATE GLASS WINDOWS WATCH THIS*

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

"Okay Dennis, we just need to perform a couple of small tests."

"And then I'll be free to go?"

"Of course. As you know, you're suspected of being a Replicant, so we need to make sure you're really human. Otherwise...we can't exactly let you leave here. Surely, you understand."

"Yeah...yeah, okay."

"Don't worry, you just need to do what comes naturally, okay?"

"Okay."

"Great. Here, take this."

"What is this, a cell phone?"

"Yeah, it's a cell phone."

"What, uh...okay..."

[cell phone starts ringing]

"..."

"..."

"Aren't you going to answer the phone, Dennis?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Uh...yeah."

"Alright Dennis, you're free to go."

"Wait, aren't there more tests?"

"Well, usually there are, but you passed this one so convincingly that I'm absolutely certain you're human."

"Oh, uh, cool. Well...goodbye I guess."

"Goodbye Dennis."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

"Decker, we've made a terrible discovery. There are Replicant sleeper agents, who don't even know they're Replicants."

"Jesus, what can we possibly do?"

"Well, we've developed an audio clip that will tell us if someone is a Replicant. Listen to this"

"How is a sound clip of a man saying Laurel going to help us?"

"Wh...what did you say?"

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Nah, it can be absolutely be positive

Maybe I grew up around the wrong people...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Untrustable posted:

Maybe I grew up around the wrong people...

Oh, bless your heart.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, bless your little pea-pickin' heart.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Cotton-picken was right there. Way to blow it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dameius posted:

I can't escape the feeling that that's downright racist. But maybe that's because I recently watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I can't escape the feeling that that's downright racist. But maybe that's because I recently watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Yeah it's reading as "bless your black heart" and there's so many different meanings that could have to a southerner

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dameius posted:

None of the little old ladies where I grew up said "bless your cotton pickin heart", I'm not altering my authentic lived experience to fit your preconceived ideas about folksy catchphrases

Also it's racist

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pfft, authentic. How many moonshines did you do?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It is only as racist as the speaker. There were plenty of not black people cotton farmers who used that phrase and I've had liberal as hell blue haired old white women use literally that phrase with me and around me.

And just to cut this off at the head, a poo poo ton of stuff from the south is racist as hell, or not, depending on who is the one saying it. Like, a whole bunch of Southern culture is wrapped up in the inescapable racist foundations of the region, even if some of it has transcended in part or in whole from that past.

Hell for all I know that pea-picking variant may have been some old woman's conscious decision to move past some racism she saw. Living in the south and using the sayings is basically playing hot potato racism anyways.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And y'know why is it racist to say that all black people like fried chicken and watermelon? Lots of white people like fried chicken and watermelon! If you ask me, this politically correct thing has gotten out of hand, and all lives matter.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
"Bless" is the southern UK equivalent and I use it on everyone.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I do really like fried chicken and watermelon! They are nice and yummy things and everyone who wants them should get them :love: believe in good things goons u deserve it :love:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

:love: believe in good things goons u deserve it :love:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I like my fried chicken spicy and my watermelon fresh from the vine.

Watermelons do not continue to ripen off of the vine, so for supermarket distribution they cut them off a little early so they won’t rot in the ensuing freight time, but they never reach their full delicious potential because of it. I’m sad I didn’t get to grow watermelon this year because we are putting the house on the market. Will have to go to the farmers’ market and hope for the best.

I wish I had a funny quote to go here

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

April Ludgate is A Good Thing indeed

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Replying to my own avatar feels really masturbatory, except I didn't cry and honk a clown nose in order to finish.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

freeedr posted:

I like my fried chicken spicy and my watermelon fresh from the vine.

Watermelons do not continue to ripen off of the vine, so for supermarket distribution they cut them off a little early so they won’t rot in the ensuing freight time, but they never reach their full delicious potential because of it. I’m sad I didn’t get to grow watermelon this year because we are putting the house on the market. Will have to go to the farmers’ market and hope for the best.

I wish I had a funny quote to go here

My mom just told my wife the other day that you should look for watermelons with a yellow spot because that means the ripened in the field more. I don't care for watermelon so this information is of no use to me but maybe it can be a benefit to you and your life (if it's even true; my mom believes a lot of poo poo)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Guess the forum/thread.

Malformed Dance Hut posted:

HAY ANY1 LIEK TO poo poo AND FUK

WELL, AND FART ON ANIMALS ON FILM/. YO LOL.

LETS SEE YOU DO IT THEN, YO

HEY,, WHY THE LONG FACE...

FARTING AGAIN MAYBE??

PEEING INTO THE TESTICLE SAC LOL WHHAT IF

HAHA WELL THEN

WHAT IF DANDRUFF WAS A SPICE HAHA THEN WOULD YOU EAT IT???

OR poo poo!!

POSITION THIS poo poo BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR DOG.

IN THE BUCKET

WELL I SDONT KNOW WHAT YOURE ON

HEY

DO YOU LIKE TO FART IN JARS

PEE IN A JAR MAYBE LADY

LKOL THIS IS CRAZY WITH SEMEN

HEY TELL ME ABOUT YOUR JUICE

HOLOCAUST

NOTHING MATTERS IN THE END

VOID

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
A deeply avant-garde post.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

EorayMel posted:

Guess the forum/thread.

Gonna totally spitball here and guess that this is from TVIV.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Friend posted:

My mom just told my wife the other day that you should look for watermelons with a yellow spot because that means the ripened in the field more. I don't care for watermelon so this information is of no use to me but maybe it can be a benefit to you and your life (if it's even true; my mom believes a lot of poo poo)

It's called a field spot and it indicates the watermelon has lain in the field (and by extension ripened) long enough to form it :eng101:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Watermelons!

https://youtu.be/2-eitsutpOc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Krankenstyle posted:

peanut butler is a magician, and also a self-owner

H.P. Hovercraft's current title: "there's a world that we know nothing about, that we can only imagine... and that is the world of books"

chaos magick gets loving buckwild and this is relatively sane and tame as that goes

like basically from what I understand, the idea is that you're hacking reality by drawing/writing "sigils" and imbuing them with energy (usually by tripping balls on acid or shrooms and jacking off on the sigil until it's encrusted with highly magical spooge)

this sounds like a bunch of complete ridiculous bullshit, but if you're much of a comics guy you're probably familiar with Grant Morrison. Grant Morrison has been doing this poo poo forever and has had some really really strange poo poo happen to him as a result of it, which kind of inclines me to believe there's something here

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Jun 26, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm of the opinion that magic is no more ridiculous a belief than any other belief system but I also smoke a lot of weed and sometimes it makes me think I'm communicating with my boyfriend with my thoughts soooo there's that

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

:how:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Replying to my own avatar feels really masturbatory, except I didn't cry and honk a clown nose in order to finish.

Schade. "Would you honk me? I'd honk me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing that's always made me kind of go :stare: about chaos magic is

in The Invisibles, Grant Morrison made a character named King Mob who (if I'm understanding this correctly) was basically created as a sigil, for shits and giggles more than anything since he wasn't taking the idea incredibly seriously

his life then proceeded to reflect King Mob's in bizarre ways. GMo writes King Mob as having everything come up his way? everything comes up GMo for a while. GMo writes King Mob as getting hosed over? GMo gets hosed over. King Mob gets gravely wounded in the story and nearly dies? GMo gets hospitalized with loving sepsis out of nowhere.

it might just be one big coincidence, or it might work the other way (though by Morrison's account, his life would change to reflect what he wrote and not vice-versa), or some random bald guy who writes comics basically achieved loving CHIM. i know which one of those that basically looks like to me.