Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This is LSD: The Show and somehow pulls it off.

Very excited for the new season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

Ya it was when she went thru the door to Farouk. I'm. Guessing bigger jump, you lose more of yourself

well thats grim because no way she isn't doing 30 year jumps by the end. interested to see what the monster is if she goes too far down that corridor which absolutely will happen

I thought she wiggling her tooth because the tape was going on about the feeling of a time not because it was actually loose

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Goofballs posted:

She wastes him 2 times and you can see other randoms shoot at him and not really get anything done even when he doesn't see it coming.

i like the touch that the mainframe's predicted 67% chance of success was almost perfectly accurate

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Goofballs posted:

well thats grim because no way she isn't doing 30 year jumps by the end. interested to see what the monster is if she goes too far down that corridor which absolutely will happen

In that case was that a monster’s shining eyes in the time hallway or maybe Faroukh’s shining eyeglasses?

night slime
May 14, 2014
I'm guessing the blue robot-like things at the end of the episode are the monsters.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Feenix posted:

The real joke here is that it wasn’t even a mind-magic hook. THEY LITERALLY HAD A GIANT COMICAL HOOK. I had assumed Faroukh had done that with his brain at first...

I just read an IGN review of the first six eps that praised last night but said it was a shame the following 5 eps seemed really hollow after it and that they overuse the musical numbers.

Boo.

I dont trust IGN to review video games let alone tv shows

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I hope the final episode is just a string of musical numbers.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

uber_stoat posted:

I hope the final episode is just a string of musical numbers.

Unironically ok with this

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Latest issue of EW had this episode rated a D so I was concerned but what a load of poo poo. This episode ruled.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Latest issue of EW had this episode rated a D so I was concerned but what a load of poo poo. This episode ruled.
Yeah, there is unfortunately a reason that there aren't many shows like this.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

night slime posted:

I'm guessing the blue robot-like things at the end of the episode are the monsters.

Since Switch associates robots with cold inhumanity (she calls Faroukh a robot) I'm certain that the monster at the end will have prominent robotic attributes.
wether the Monster shaped her fears or was shaped by them is yet to be seen.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

AnEdgelord posted:

I dont trust IGN to review video games let alone tv shows

I saw this review too prior to watching the episode and knew instantly that everything would be good. I learned a few years ago that IGN going out of its way to poo poo on something usually means I will like it. I wonder how much they charge for a decent review these days?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This show is pure art and it's no surprise that the media at large can't figure out how to digest that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So if Switch can only safely go back a couple of hours at most, I guess David wanting to go way back and change past mistakes isn't gonna happen. Unless she like, levels up or defeats the time monster or something. I feel that trying to predict this show is pretty pointless though, pretty much anything is on the cards when you have god-level psychic wizards and time travelers in the mix. I should probably just sit back and enjoy the ride. The only thing I feel safeish guessing is that David will get a redemption arc and/or a tragic ending. Most likely both, he's a pretty tragic figure and between what he is and what he's been through I don't know how he could ever become a well-adjusted person who can properly empathise with normal people.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I liked his little argument with Scottish Dave and whoever else in the back room, I gather that's what the comc character was all about like his counterpart in Doom Patrol?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

^Comic book Legion absorbs the personalities of the people he kills.

I don't even usually like surreal shows like this, but the latest episode was great. It also seems like they realized they went a bit too far with season 2.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wafflecopper posted:

So if Switch can only safely go back a couple of hours at most, I guess David wanting to go way back and change past mistakes isn't gonna happen. Unless she like, levels up or defeats the time monster or something. I feel that trying to predict this show is pretty pointless though, pretty much anything is on the cards when you have god-level psychic wizards and time travelers in the mix. I should probably just sit back and enjoy the ride. The only thing I feel safeish guessing is that David will get a redemption arc and/or a tragic ending. Most likely both, he's a pretty tragic figure and between what he is and what he's been through I don't know how he could ever become a well-adjusted person who can properly empathise with normal people.

Or David goes with her and murderizes the time monster.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

the episode also works well to show us that while David has GODLIKE powers he is still only human, blind to his own limitations and critically vulnerable in many ways.
whereas dear old Farukh might be lagging behind on the power scale (and a total monster) he always knows who to placate and who to make alliances with in order to survive.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah the setup in the show is pretty clearly that David has more raw power while Farouk is better at using the power that he has.

Discipline vs Talent

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Does the cover song at the end exist anywhere to stream?

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Feenix posted:

Does the cover song at the end exist anywhere to stream?

Last season they waited until after the entire season had aired before releasing the cover songs on spotify, etc.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, the final scene where the time traveller is represented by a toy robot, in front of all the other toy robots, means she's mind controlled, right?

Also, there was that musical number at the start, which usually mean mind control is going on.

EDIT: also, they had a 66.7% chance of success :D Yes, they did.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

did admiral fukuyama die at the end of last season? I expected their presence given the suggestions david implanted re:baskethead or whatever but ptonomy seems to be the controller of the mustache ladies now.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I don't think Fukyama can die but he did seem to not enjoy what he was doing from what I can remember of his dialogue from last season. They seem to find David on the monitor as soon as Ptonomy takes over so maybe he was made the successor, if his brain can do something Fukyama's can't. David's last memory of Division 3 would be about the creepy basket head guys trying to kill him so it makes sense he would make the pamphlet stuff about that.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, the final scene where the time traveller is represented by a toy robot, in front of all the other toy robots, means she's mind controlled, right?

Also, there was that musical number at the start, which usually mean mind control is going on.

EDIT: also, they had a 66.7% chance of success :D Yes, they did.
Yeah, the musical numbers indicate that some sort of psychic phenomenon Is taking place. In Switch's case I'd assumed it wasn't about mind control but, rather, the process by which she was invited into David's hideout.

The point about the windup toys is interesting. The Switch-bot being superficially different than the other robots, but still nevertheless being a robot, implies that Switch appears to be free in ways that others aren't, but that that appearance is false.

Specifically, I'd say that she's unstuck in time, being able to switch between different possible futures, but maybe not able to actually alter destiny in the way that she imagines. The predicted 2/3 success rate for the attack was only accurate because of Switch, after all.

... I've really missed this show.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I like that interpretation of the windup toys. I think that the show is driving in the Oedipal direction of David becoming a world killer specifically because his friends became aware of the fact that he would eventually kill the world. Time travel doesn't offer any escape from fate, but instead plays a role in the chain of causation.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 26, 2019

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Love the show, glad it's back. Great musical number! I think Switch is a great addition and introduces new possibilities which is exciting. I thought having David throw Farouk in that room was a nice touch, did a good job of showing the power level difference.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Corte posted:

Love the show, glad it's back. Great musical number! I think Switch is a great addition and introduces new possibilities which is exciting. I thought having David throw Farouk in that room was a nice touch, did a good job of showing the power level difference.

I thought that he got thrown in that room by a pair of David's groupies that jumped him?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

AnEdgelord posted:

I thought that he got thrown in that room by a pair of David's groupies that jumped him?

Yeah 2 girls dragged him in, but I think that kind of shows that David is surrounding himself with quite a bit of chaos and it caught Farouk off guard.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

You clearly work for the forces of division. Yes the Magic Man's true believers assisted in pushing him into the room but you can see the door shut on its own and I think it's implied David is able to contain Farouk until he bursts out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, in the comics Legion has dissociative personality disorder (aka multiple personalities), and each one has its own power to go with it. Early comics see him being taken over by the personalities whenever it suited them. The most recent series that was longer 6 issues had him have control over the different personalities. His mind was shown as a prison with him as the warden. He would let personalities out of their cells so he could use their powers.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Lauren Tsai being only 21 and killing it in the S3 opener AND having done rad covers for Marvel comics is just ridiculously impressive.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Metalshark posted:

Lauren Tsai being only 21 and killing it in the S3 opener AND having done rad covers for Marvel comics is just ridiculously impressive.

drat, she is powerfully cool.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

idk much about marvel or comics but i thought that was deadpool?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wafflecopper posted:

idk much about marvel or comics but i thought that was deadpool?

no deadpool is immortal and pined for by big titty goth Death

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I tried watching a video about the comic book and gave up, wayyyyyyy too many disparate threads and too little character development.
I like that the show basically went 'Imma do my own thang thank you very much'

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

no deadpool is immortal and pined for by big titty goth Death

oh ok

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

By popular demand posted:

I tried watching a video about the comic book and gave up, wayyyyyyy too many disparate threads and too little character development.
I like that the show basically went 'Imma do my own thang thank you very much'

One thing they’ve done very well is introduce original characters that could plausibly be X-Men.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The only person I remember who absorbed the memories of those who died was an alternate universe Rouge (who was called Legacy in that mini-series). In that title she was called "Legacy" instead of Rouge. She could potentially do this with her current power set, but she doesn't. Legion was in this, but it turns out he created this reality in his head, and pulled everyone in on it? It's been a while since I read this.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Age_of_X

To confuse things more, that 20-something miniseries that starred Legion was called "X-Men Legacy". This is one of my favorite X-Men runs, and why I liked Legion as a character, and why I watched this show (although, it has nothing to do with the show of course).
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/X-Men:_Legacy_Vol_2

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This very easily could be like a Grant Morrison X-men, he loves doing weird surreal poo poo like this, though he'd have David be bald, because he only writes characters that are self inserts.

Only things I did not like about this episode was seeing Kerri get killed a bunch of times and one of the hippies in the musical number was really, really out of time with the music and it was distracting. But everything else, oh man, I wanna see more. Gimme this weird rear end show straight into my veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

This very easily could be like a Grant Morrison X-men, he loves doing weird surreal poo poo like this, though he'd have David be bald, because he only writes characters that are self inserts.

Only things I did not like about this episode was seeing Kerri get killed a bunch of times and one of the hippies in the musical number was really, really out of time with the music and it was distracting. But everything else, oh man, I wanna see more. Gimme this weird rear end show straight into my veins.
Yeah, I was distracted by the acting in the musical number also. Ironically, and also by way of explanation, the out-of-time hippy was, I believe, a member of the band Superorganism. The band itself was used to shoot the scene.

It clearly didn't work out that well, but it was a neat idea.