Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there a usb-c to HDMI adapter that works with an 2018 11" iPad Pro? I'd like one for travel but not $75/100. I was wondering if there was a goon approved one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I've plugged a bog standard USB C cable into my dell monitor and it worked for display, and used an array of C-HDMI adapters in the conf rooms at work without issue. Find the cheapest one that works for a MBP according to the reviews and you are off to the races.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just got the cheapest one from Walmart and it works fine

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Any suggestions on how to run two headphones (3.5mm) on the same iPad Pro? Can we use the 3.5mm adapter and a bog standard y-splitter?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
HDMI is an Alternate Mode on USB-C so any should work.

I would just grab the cheapest one on Amazon that has a review mentioning iPad Pro.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

Any suggestions on how to run two headphones (3.5mm) on the same iPad Pro? Can we use the 3.5mm adapter and a bog standard y-splitter?

Yes, that works.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don't usually keep my iPad keyboards attached to my iPad since I rarely need a separate input device. Unfortunately that means people move or throw out my keyboards. I'm on the second one so far (an Apple smart keyboard and the keyboard half of a Logi Slim). There's still a chance I'll find the Logi Slim so I don't want to go out and buy another one, but I also may want a keyboard. At least I bought them openbox or on sale.

How do cheap Bluetooth keyboards work now? It used to be the onscreen keyboard would pop up and things like spelling corrections wouldn't work. Is that still a problem? I can get a well reviewed Bluetooth keyboard for about $30, but I'd like to get mostly the same functionality as one that plugs into the smart connector. Unfortunately I don't own a Bluetooth keyboard to test with. All of them have cords or use the 2.4ghz transceivers.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Why are people throwing away your keyboards???

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

My mother-in-law hates clutter to the extent that she’ll hide poo poo when she stays over. Sure enough after a week of hosting my wife’s family, my keyboard is missing. The irony being that their house looks like a Cracker Barrel gift shop.

My eyeglasses ended up in some random drawer in another room no where near where I laid them down. So who the gently caress knows where my keyboard is. I’m pretty sure it’s somewhere. It’s thicker than the Smart Keyboard so less likely to be thrown out. But she definitely threw out my Smart Keyboard last year.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It sounds like your wife needs to have a conversation with her mother about how she has to stop throwing away people’s poo poo if she wants to continue being a guest in their home. My wife wouldn’t put up with that from her mother and I wouldn’t put up with it from mine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's easier to ask how Bluetooth keyboards work with iPads.

But yes, we've already had the conversation that it's my house and I can leave my stuff where I want.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

carry on then posted:

Probably not much, considering the feature is primarily about convincing responsive websites to send you the desktop-width layout instead of the mobile one and those sites probably don't have any mobile site at all.

It won't fix a website being unusable garbage.

fwiw the full fat version of youtube whips the llama's rear end of the mobile version

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Being able to background audio on safari YouTube owns

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

I get In Laws being crazy, but the phrasing of this question is perfect and made me laugh, so thank you for that.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Public beta's install bar has been just a few pixels away from full on my iPad for like an hour now. RIP. looks like I'm restoring tonight!

edit: Uh, did a force reboot and now I get a new install bar that's black on white instead of white on black. Progress I guess.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 25, 2019

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I installed the beta last night and so far it has been good. One annoying graphic bug with the app icons and the new home page widget. Also I had a few crashes related to using split screen and the new Slide Over.

Speaking of, the Slide Over is pretty slick. I've got music in there and it's nice to be able to pull it out to change songs or whatever while working on something else. I'm sure it would also be useful for other quick things like Reminders or Notes. Only annoying thing is how small the touch zone is to be able to slide it off screen. I've accidentally turned it into a Split Screen too many times.

New Home Page widget is nice. But I wish it was always visible (or had an option to be) instead of the weird thing they have now where it's able to be swiped away from the main app page and is never visible on any other app pages.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Seems like it installed after all! Unfortunately, I'm unable to sign in to my Apple ID for iMessage so I can't check out the new Memoji hotness. Also, app updates are in a horrible spot now and they need to put it back! There's no reason Games and Arcade both need their own tabs!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was debating installing the beta on my new Air, worth it? It’s nothing critical on there just watchin vids and surfing mostly. Previously I had good luck installing betas on my older ipad while my iphone just got releases.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I have the same use case and haven't had any show stopping issues. Just a few crashes while attempting multi-app drifting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beta has been working ok for me for the most part. It’s crashed to desktop pretty constantly whenever i find myself swapping through apps too quickly but aside from that the new layout and desktop-like options are good. Desktop safari loving rules.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zero One posted:

Only annoying thing is how small the touch zone is to be able to slide it off screen. I've accidentally turned it into a Split Screen too many times.
Does that work differently from 12 then? Where anywhere along the edges can swipe it off to the right (left edge being easiest of course), while pulling down the little marker on the top is what converts to split screen.

Related question, how’s command tabbing on a keyboard now that you can have multiple instances of apps?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So, unless I'm tragically wrong, I think Apple might have the most rear end backwards way of handling photos and cloud storage. There is seemingly no way to store photos on the cloud, but still view or access them outside of viewing them on the web. Which leads to a different "problem" of sorts.

Let's say, all hypothetically, you have a 128GB iPhone and want to use iCloud Photos. You can get the 200GB package which will store all those photos and then you'll have like 80 some gigs left. However, if you want to access those photos on another device using iCloud Photos, you have to have a device that can store at least whatever the "optimized" size of all those photos is.

Do I have this right? It's not as much a complaint as it is a mind-boggling thing I learned earlier today.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think that's quite true. My iCloud account is using 80 GB for photos, while my iPhone (that I actually take pictures with) is using 3 and my iPad is using 1.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

So, unless I'm tragically wrong, I think Apple might have the most rear end backwards way of handling photos and cloud storage. There is seemingly no way to store photos on the cloud, but still view or access them outside of viewing them on the web. Which leads to a different "problem" of sorts.

Let's say, all hypothetically, you have a 128GB iPhone and want to use iCloud Photos. You can get the 200GB package which will store all those photos and then you'll have like 80 some gigs left. However, if you want to access those photos on another device using iCloud Photos, you have to have a device that can store at least whatever the "optimized" size of all those photos is.

Do I have this right? It's not as much a complaint as it is a mind-boggling thing I learned earlier today.

No. That's not how it works at all. You can have as large of a photo library as you want and if it's stored in the cloud in my experience your device will "optimize" the storage by keeping around 2-3gb of photos/videos cached, with the most recently taken/accessed ones taking precedence with the rest being low res until accessed/downloaded.

My photo library's 70gb total and I have iCloud enabled on a 16gb iPad Air 2 and a 64gb iPhone 8 and can browse and access any photos I need, they just download on demand if they aren't on that device at that moment.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 26, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All I use my 200gb for is photos (180gb) and I have no issues with storage. iOS does a fine job of janitoring photo disk space.

But that’s about the only thing it does well. I had a terabyte plan and got rid of it because unless you put all your stuff in the documents and desktop folders, iCloud only mirrors files instead of storing them like Dropbox. Since Apple is so stingy with space, the most I can mirror is about 200gb.

Apple should have bought Dropbox when it had the chance.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

As long as you have “optimize Mac storage” unchecked in system preferences, it should download the entire contents of iCloud Drive

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Also, didn’t Dropbox turn down any/all buyers including Apple? Not the other way around?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

Also, didn’t Dropbox turn down any/all buyers including Apple? Not the other way around?

I thought Apple and Dropbox were talking at one point. It’s moot now since they have iCloud, but I can still upload a file to iCloud and have it not available for minutes afterward, whereas Dropbox updates almost immediately.

Apple has improved iCloud a lot. Dropbox is still better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I went to onedrive/office 365 and ditched the paid dropbox.. some of the onedrive stuff is a bit annoying though.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Just wanted to “apologize” for my earlier post seeking answers or whatever I was after. I did more searching and digging and it appeared my iPad had been stuck on 1% as far as syncing iCloud Photos, so it just reported that the full amount of space was being used as opposed to the optimized 2GB it’s now at.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I thought Apple and Dropbox were talking at one point. It’s moot now since they have iCloud, but I can still upload a file to iCloud and have it not available for minutes afterward, whereas Dropbox updates almost immediately.

Apple has improved iCloud a lot. Dropbox is still better.

iCloud uploads are also crazy slow. A while ago I tested uploading the same large file to iCloud and Google Drive. Google Drive uploaded the file almost four times as quickly.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Anyone try the mouse support yet? I only have the kind you use a USB dongle for so can't at this point, but hoping to find out if it's as much as a gamechanger that I'm hoping it to be. Particularly in remoting into my work Windows machine to actually be productive.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Anyone try the mouse support yet? I only have the kind you use a USB dongle for so can't at this point, but hoping to find out if it's as much as a gamechanger that I'm hoping it to be. Particularly in remoting into my work Windows machine to actually be productive.
Ultimately it’s an assistive feature for now so keep that in mind. Not sure if anything has changed in the public beta but the main annoyance would probably be the big fat finger sized cursor. And if you need mouse hovering for your Windows workflow it won’t change anything with that afaik, but as far as other mouse control stuff in theory it should work as long as your remote app has a control mapping that works that way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

I went to onedrive/office 365 and ditched the paid dropbox.. some of the onedrive stuff is a bit annoying though.

Dropbox recently retroactively limited the number of device installs on the free tier and since I am now over that limit if I change laptops or phones I can no longer re-install the app on that new device. I'm done with Dropbox, they don't have features any of the big boys have and they charge more for less.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Dropbox recently retroactively limited the number of device installs on the free tier and since I am now over that limit if I change laptops or phones I can no longer re-install the app on that new device. I'm done with Dropbox, they don't have features any of the big boys have and they charge more for less.

Lame, yeah I felt their value wasn’t there when paying for it. I think I have a couple apps that use dropbox but that’s the only use I have, and I have enough free space from referrals or whatever to keep me going with that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

Lame, yeah I felt their value wasn’t there when paying for it. I think I have a couple apps that use dropbox but that’s the only use I have, and I have enough free space from referrals or whatever to keep me going with that.

I would consider staying with them if their pricing structure had any other plans than jumping from the free tier at 5gb to the 2000gb tier at $12/mo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, same here. I have so many "devices" aka VMs and machines that get swapped out at work every few years that this limitation has killed my interest in Dropbox. iCloud Drive is slower but it's a lot better than it was when it was first released and works fine for my purposes

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I upgraded to the paid option after they changed their policies. So now I’m paying for Dropbox, Google One, iCloud, and AWS. It’s great. Really great. :rolleyes:

I think all of that costs about $20 a month and covers myself and my family, but still.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am going to do a spreadsheet with all my monthly subscriptions and see what I can prune because it creeps up and gets out of control.

I have google drive, office 365 (family) and icloud along with EA origin (which I have cancelled when the year is up in Nov), netflix, prime, etc. Probably more I have forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

I think I started migrating away a while back cause a some of the free space started going away, old edu promo and other stuff maybe? I was like gently caress it and moved to Box cause they had a 50 or 100GB thing. Then I moved stuff to OneDrive more recently to keep whatever free space I had on there. And at home I got a NAS and am signed into everything on there, so my Mac just accesses the NAS and doesn’t have any of the clients installed.

I’d probably switch to iCloud if there was a Synology client for it.