Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zereth posted:

I know there's a sword which has a chance when it hits to "Bring an End", which causes the message "Let's Ragnarok" to appear in the message log and fills the loving map with dragons and giants and poo poo who fight each other

(It's normally in the hands of some guy in a peaceful town, but there are a few ways to get enemies in there, even without player intervention. Last I checked, dirinking from wells/fountains could sometimes infect you with a chestburster, and NPCs would sometimes do that on their own. So a townsfolk gets chestbursted, and then the guy hits it with his sword, and WHOOPS TOWN'S RUINED)

This isn't actually a glitch, that's just how Elona loving rolls. I think you can actually restore the town by buying a nuke, nuking the town off the map, then waiting several in-game months for it to be rebuilt, though

In elona you can play music in front of people to earn money. If you fail the check, they'll throw a rock at you instead. The rock throw basically counts as a standard attack with some modifiers on it, which means that if you play music in front of this guy you can actually do so badly that you end the world. Also, even if ragnarok doesn't proc off of it the guy still has sky-high strength so he'll probably one-shot you with the rock anyway, which is great especially because this guy is in literally the first town.

Speaking of the first town: in Elona, you start with a pet. This can be a cat, dog, bear, or small child. Theoretically, they're supposed to follow you around and help you out in battle. In practice, there's an open well in the first town about 3 squares from the entrance and 100% of the time your pet will fall into it and die instantly the first time you go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Another funny thing about the armageddon sword guy is that you can kill him and take his sword at level 1 if you're lucky or absurdly patient (the sword is functionally useless as it is essentially guaranteed to kill you, and everyone else, if you try to use it).

The opportunity to do this arises when someone is randomly murdered by a werewolf in the starting town. This causes the voting box to unlock, and everyone votes for who they suspect of being the werewolf. You have to go vote for doomsday sword guy, then leave town and make sure you're not there when execution time rolls around (noon iirc) because it doesn't happen if the map isn't loaded and if they never execute anybody then they'll never catch the werewolf. You then come back into town just before midnight, wait around until someone is murdered, and do this again. Repeat the process until ragnarok sword man has the highest number of votes, wait around near him until noon, and go pick up his poo poo when he is instantly killed via democratic execution.

I have, in the past, used this trick to kill both the King and Queen of Palmia so as to get their figurines and cards for my museum. There's something pretty funny about a reigning monarch being executed after the populace holds a calm, orderly vote on the matter.

Angry Diplomat has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Jun 16, 2019

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

cock hero flux posted:

in Elona, you start with a pet. This can be a cat, dog, bear, or small child.

ok i was like "wtf you can have a small child as a pet" and googled it and like. uh. i mean let's tell the whole truth, apparently you start with specifically a little girl who is a loli warrior??? wtf is this game

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's anime. It's just... if all anime, ever, became a roguelike

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Relatively few really follow this design logic, sadly. Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead is pretty free-form and allows you to (for example) build remote-controlled tank drones to run over zombies with, and Nethack is the classic example of 'a million little interactions', but trying to build that kind of game means spending years just working on what would be called feature creep anywhere else. I guess Elona has some similarities, in the number of batshit insane paths to power and destruction there are, but I personally somehow found it even more punishing than Nethack. It's not as well-represented a design choice in roguelikes as it would be in, say, building games like Minecraft, Terraria, Factorio, and the like, where uncovering interactions in the world and then ruthlessly exploiting them is an explicit element of the gameplay loop.

The only game I can think of that commits to that idea 120% is Space Station 13, and that's really kind of a sandbox that's entirely built around its own insanity and defies easy genre classification (even if it is traditionally meant as a 'hidden-role' game in the vein of Mafia or Werewolf). And you only need to look at SS13's fantastic bug history to know how trying to develop that way goes, from being able to steal and eat UI elements, to having 13-deep-fried-but-still-living people pop out of someone who commits suicide with a chainsaw like a macabre Matryoshka doll, to blowing up the station using nothing but beakers of water to PopeCrunch's immortalized frustration. It's just that at some point someone crossed out the word 'bug' on their devlist and scrawled 'features' over it, and they sometimes decide some 'features' are too powerful to let the playerbase have.

To be fair, a lot of SS13's weird bugs come from the particular engine it's made in. The fact that everything, even UI elements, if you go back far enough, is fundamentally the same type of object, has a physical location somewhere even if that location is "a person", etc.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Oh my god, give me any game where settlements can be both destroyed and slowly rebuilt

And also werewolves make the NPCs play Werewolf, jfc

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
So these two roguelikes being discussed are Elona and IVAN, right? Where's the best to get them, apparently they're not under development anymore?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

^^^I looked up Elona, and it looks to be a game for sex perverts, so uh maybe you shouldn't be trying to track it down.

Dabir posted:

To be fair, a lot of SS13's weird bugs come from the particular engine it's made in. The fact that everything, even UI elements, if you go back far enough, is fundamentally the same type of object, has a physical location somewhere even if that location is "a person", etc.

Yeah, Space Station 13 really pushes the BYOND engine to its limits. One time me, and some other coders were curious about the other games on BYOND, but when we tried playing them they were all basically glorified chat clients.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Jun 16, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh my god, give me any game where settlements can be both destroyed and slowly rebuilt

And also werewolves make the NPCs play Werewolf, jfc
I think they just reset if you stay away long enough, rather than people slowly rebuilding it.

EDIT: as for obtaining them, you'll want to go ask in the roguelike thread, I'm not sure where to get the current versions of IVAN or Elona+

Zereth has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Jun 16, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I looked up Elona, and it looks to be a game for sex perverts,

it's not a game for sex perverts but was probably made by one

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Zereth posted:

I think they just reset if you stay away long enough, rather than people slowly rebuilding it.

EDIT: as for obtaining them, you'll want to go ask in the roguelike thread, I'm not sure where to get the current versions of IVAN or Elona+

Thanks

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm annoyed that modern open-world games cannot match the feature set of loving Raid on Bungeling Bay

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

InediblePenguin posted:

ok i was like "wtf you can have a small child as a pet" and googled it and like. uh. i mean let's tell the whole truth, apparently you start with specifically a little girl who is a loli warrior??? wtf is this game

Ahh. Epic. So the goons talking about the game are, in fact, pedophiles. Very well.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Elona is a weird game that generates interesting stories but is full of horrifically awful edgy garbage like a slave market

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/Kalonica_/status/1142302833657516032

Travelling outside map boundaries in Red Dead Dedemption (there's a few other glitches above, it's in the middle of a series of tweets)

example tweet

https://twitter.com/Kalonica_/status/1142304256705228800

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

IShallRiseAgain posted:

^^^I looked up Elona, and it looks to be a game for sex perverts, so uh maybe you shouldn't be trying to track it down.

Bum the Sad has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Jun 22, 2019

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uvar posted:

https://twitter.com/Kalonica_/status/1142302833657516032

Travelling outside map boundaries in Red Dead Dedemption (there's a few other glitches above, it's in the middle of a series of tweets)

example tweet

https://twitter.com/Kalonica_/status/1142304256705228800

Did anyone do this kinda stuff for rdr1? Kind of interesting given how most rockstar maps are islands and avoid this kind of stuff

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Regular Nintendo posted:

Did anyone do this kinda stuff for rdr1? Kind of interesting given how most rockstar maps are islands and avoid this kind of stuff

Shesez does the Boundary Break series on Youtube does this kind of stuff. He didn't do RDR, but he has done other Rockstar games.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PencakeAndWuffle/videos
(Yes, that's his Youtube video link, I guess he changed his username at one point.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIEVOMxKWxc

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

:hmmyes:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Elona is pretty much just "what if Nethack, but all the anime." It's a complete and utter mess of a game, but it's not actually as skeevy as it looks at a distance. Still borderline unplayable, but for different reasons.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Woah, first hint from Q! Does 4chan and r/thedonald know about this?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gokuweed420 posted:

Ahh. Epic. So the goons talking about the game are, in fact, pedophiles. Very well.

Nah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UodT5e5oyGU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

is IVAN the one with the artifact weapon mace that causes explosions when you swing it, but does not actually make you immune to those explosions. I've played A LOT of roguelikes and that's up there with my favorite weapons of all time.

it is, its a mace called Turox :getin:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Zereth posted:

I know there's a sword which has a chance when it hits to "Bring an End", which causes the message "Let's Ragnarok" to appear in the message log and fills the loving map with dragons and giants and poo poo who fight each other

(It's normally in the hands of some guy in a peaceful town, but there are a few ways to get enemies in there, even without player intervention. Last I checked, dirinking from wells/fountains could sometimes infect you with a chestburster, and NPCs would sometimes do that on their own. So a townsfolk gets chestbursted, and then the guy hits it with his sword, and WHOOPS TOWN'S RUINED)

This isn't actually a glitch, that's just how Elona loving rolls. I think you can actually restore the town by buying a nuke, nuking the town off the map, then waiting several in-game months for it to be rebuilt, though

Whelp. I know what my next game will be.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wild T posted:

Whelp. I know what my next game will be.

Make sure to look up the "immediately walk out of the tutorial, don't set foot in the starting town, and instead do odd jobs in the thief town until you save up enough money to buy a nuke with which to suicide bomb your own house so you can loot the tutorial NPCs' (really good) artifacts" method, it really speeds up the early game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I have never heard of that method, but I am intrigued. The early game is a pain in the rear end. Which is to say I've never actually made it past it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Make sure to look up the "immediately walk out of the tutorial, don't set foot in the starting town, and instead do odd jobs in the thief town until you save up enough money to buy a nuke with which to suicide bomb your own house so you can loot the tutorial NPCs' (really good) artifacts" method, it really speeds up the early game
I think the dude with the Ragnarock Sword is in the tutorial, too, if you want to play russian roulette

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What is up with "You drink from a well. You taste something bad. You are pregnant"? :psyduck:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sounds like bill cosby's well

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

What is up with "You drink from a well. You taste something bad. You are pregnant"? :psyduck:

congratulations on your upcoming reenactment of the movie Alien

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Chestburster.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Zereth posted:

I think the dude with the Ragnarock Sword is in the tutorial, too, if you want to play russian roulette

No, the tutorial is two elves that teach you how to eat (by giving you poisoned food), how to equip items (by giving you clothes so heavy you will die of exhaustion in a few steps if you wear them) and how to fight (by setting loose enemies that hopelessly outlevel you). Go through it once just to find out why they deserve to be looted.

The first town outside it has:

• Someone lurking by the piano who hates music played by all but the highest-level musicians, reacts to disliking music by going berserk and can instantly kill starting characters with thrown pebbles.
  • A mysterious figure with the "Sword That Ends All", a unique item that causes Ragnarok to start (summons a horde of hostile giants, dragons and gods) if it's used in an attack. Who can be aggroed by the music critic's combat if you survive the thrown pebble, causing your poor piano performance to literally end the world.
  • A well that your starting pet will path into and drown as you watch helplessly.
  • I think there's a vampire lord locked inside one of the houses?
  • Don't go to the starting town.

This all seems intended - the chair in front of the piano is covered in bloodstains when you first arrive. It's just that kind of game.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The tutorial NPC also tries to trick you into cannibalism and teaches you to try lockpicking on a uniquely non-lock-pickable chest, I believe? It also has underaged slaves (subject to the pet mechanics, whatever that may entail, I don't fully know) and suicide-bombing ninjas. In light of the full hosed-up world, the tutorial is...honestly a pretty decent, light introduction into what the game entails.

It's a somewhat (read: very) problematic setting, it should be forewarned. I'm a little surprised that no one's tried to remake the setting with all its weird sadistic mechanics interactions and a bit less of the skeeviness. Unless that's been toned down already.

Random GDQ glitch to hopefully shift discussion elsewhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXwqYxKkN0&t=1210s

It's a small thing, but I'm fascinated by a glitch that came up during the Prime 2 run earlier. Somehow an unintentional damage boost (maybe?) sends Claris careening sideways at a bizarrely high speed. Between this and people apparently now being able to skip some of the Metroid Prime fight in the previous game, it's interesting to see new tech still being discovered in the Prime games even after they've been so thoroughly dissected over so many years.

Bonus: Whatever this animation glitch is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXwqYxKkN0&t=355s

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFLUE2kdemE
Unbelievable sights

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There’s a tweet chain with oddities for Harvest Moon games:
https://twitter.com/ntagonistic/status/1146104034429931522
https://twitter.com/ntagonistic/status/1146124260194357248
https://twitter.com/ntagonistic/status/1146130654612152320

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jul 3, 2019

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Why are they trying to make it so bots can’t read the word “kill”?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You're joking, but that's exactly what they're doing. Twitter bans accounts for violent words. Racism and homophobia are fine, though.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Well, that’s a piss poor way to avoid censors. In effect, it makes it so people with vision impairments can’t read your tweets, because screen readers and other assistive technology will output garbage. Meanwhile, Twitter’s bots will normalize the text into NFD, drop the accents, find the word, notice you’re trying to avoid their detection, and flag your account.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

You're joking, but that's exactly what they're doing. Twitter bans accounts for violent words. Racism and homophobia are fine, though.
For good reason. Allowing violent expression or threats gets the FBI to confiscate your servers or demand connection logs. Allowing homophobia and racism gets the president of the US to register a Twitter account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

post itt every time you remember roger a muirebe

:rip: to a real one