Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah this seems like a really unrelated tangent, whether or not there are a lot of alt-right SCers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is quarentine, in this use case, a weird made up Reddit term like brigading?

It's like being put on probation on SA. It's an admin function, but applies to an entire subforum instead of a single user.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah this seems like a really unrelated tangent, whether or not there are a lot of alt-right SCers.

Have you considered changing your name to 'Marching Powder'.

I said come in! posted:

It's like being put on probation on SA. It's an admin function, but applies to an entire subforum instead of a single user.

Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishments Mausoleum: It's like a probate, but for an entire subforum.

I mean, call it what you like, but I'm about to have a celebratory drink. It's like Stormfront losing their hosting.

Oh, and 'pull up thread'.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hav posted:

Have you considered changing your name to 'Marching Powder'.

What?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I too am going to grave a drink.

Mainly because they are repaving my street and I won't be able to get in ny driveway for a couple of hours.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

There was a poster here with that name but I don't remember what his gimmick was. I forgot he existed until just now. I guess the gimmick wasn't memorable.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This thread needs Marching Powder.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Nah

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Free Tophat

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

There was a poster here with that name but I don't remember what his gimmick was. I forgot he existed until just now. I guess the gimmick wasn't memorable.

Thread Sheriff

He used to spend a lot of time making sure that we were on the straight and narrow when it came to topics of conversation. He got bored after the second or third FYAD invasion.

tuo posted:

Free Tophat

I'll take five!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hav posted:

Thread Sheriff

He used to spend a lot of time making sure that we were on the straight and narrow when it came to topics of conversation. He got bored after the second or third FYAD invasion.

Oh. I was just agreeing with what Scruffpuff said, I'm not about to pretend I'm a mod or anything.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Were's Funny MoMa? Is there any fun left in SC?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

Thread Sheriff

I'll take five!

Naw, some of the guys here convinced (Newly modded) Beer and Beet to give him a mod challenge, to which he rightly said gently caress off.

This thread is worse without him.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh. I was just agreeing with what Scruffpuff said, I'm not about to pretend I'm a mod or anything.

And I'm going to agree with you agreeing with me because this is a lovely topic to veer too close to.

CIG definitely understands that keeping their mistakes private causes us to eat each other.

Imagine the mistakes they're making behind those closed space doors.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

Thread Sheriff

he left because of a really stupid mod challenge about baking cookies or some poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My main problem with Derek is when he tries to present himself as some kind of industry insider. He might sometimes spur some fun drama, but at the end of the day, he's a self-aggrandizing, narcissistic douche who can't help doxxing anyone he feels ever slighted him.

So the second anyone talks about him in glowing terms it rubs me the wrong way. I don't like encouraging that kind of person - I've had too many bad experiences with them in my personal life.

His presenting himself as an insider has some credibility though. He has made (crappy) games, and does know a few folks. The self-aggrandizing, narcissism, douch-ness just passes right over my head. I work with so many psychopaths that Derek (who is not a psychopath) just seems quaint and funny.

Who did he doxx, and how? I'll add it to the drama thread.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

I work with so many psychopaths that Derek (who is not a psychopath) just seems quaint and funny.

This is a good point. I'll take a narcissistic loudmouth over a kind, benevolent-seeming psychopath any day of the week. The first one makes a lot of noise that can piss you off if you let it, but poses no actual threat. The second one will ask "what's wrong" and sit quietly and earnestly hear you out and commiserate with you over horrible things that happened to you, that he was the one who did, and knows he did, and doesn't care he did, and will lie to you and point to someone else as the culprit while pretending to help you recover, all the while planning the next instance of loving you over.

I've worked with a few of these if it isn't obvious.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I was being a jerk. It's how I get my jollies in life, other than watching game projects flame out.

Lladre posted:

This thread is worse without him.

He was a character. I had him down as lawful neutral.

spacetoaster posted:

The self-aggrandizing, narcissism, douch-ness

Seriously, if I had the money I'd try this look on for size, but I have deep conditioning from a protestant upbringing that would give me so much existential guilt....

Edit: Derek was Chaotic neutral if anyone cares.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

This is a good point. I'll take a narcissistic loudmouth over a kind, benevolent-seeming psychopath any day of the week. The first one makes a lot of noise that can piss you off if you let it, but poses no actual threat. The second one will ask "what's wrong" and sit quietly and earnestly hear you out and commiserate with you over horrible things that happened to you, that he was the one who did, and knows he did, and doesn't care he did, and will lie to you and point to someone else as the culprit while pretending to help you recover, all the while planning the next instance of loving you over.

I've worked with a few of these if it isn't obvious.

And because with Derek it was funny. I always felt with him we were more like "Oh yeah? Tell us another one!" loling at him spending hours furiously typing/streaming bullshit, rather than anyone actually getting mad.

Hav posted:

watching game projects flame out.

I wish it would hurry up. I'm feeling dumber every day for making that GBS thread about the imminent collapse of CIG. *tugs collar*

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

And because with Derek it was funny. I always felt with him we were more like "Oh yeah? Tell us another one!" loling at him spending hours furiously typing/streaming bullshit, rather than anyone actually getting mad.

I think anyone who lived the Stolen Valor Saga with him in real time is pretty much permanently inoculated against ever being mad about him again.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

Yeah, I was being a jerk. It's how I get my jollies in life, other than watching game projects flame out.

He was a character. I had him down as lawful neutral.

Seriously, if I had the money I'd try this look on for size, but I have deep conditioning from a protestant upbringing that would give me so much existential guilt....

My wife and I have had frequent Nerd Arguments about our alignment. We both seemed to settle on Neutral Good, bordering on Neutral Neutral. It only comes up as an argument because Chaotic rear end in a top hat isn't covered in 5th edition.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

True dat. With an extra side of chaotic.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Welcome to 900 years in the future, where people dress exactly like they do now. That’s the laziest one I’ve seen so far.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

His presenting himself as an insider has some credibility though. He has made (crappy) games, and does know a few folks. The self-aggrandizing, narcissism, douch-ness just passes right over my head. I work with so many psychopaths that Derek (who is not a psychopath) just seems quaint and funny.

Who did he doxx, and how? I'll add it to the drama thread.

Check his SA forums rap sheet, he was probated and warned over and over to stop but kept doing it.

I think it was some random Twitter people, he was like "oh yeah, this guy is stalking me, his real name is XXX and he works at XXX. lol I know I'm gonna get probated but totally worth it!" and then he FINALLY got perma'ed.

I kinda stayed away from the SC threads on here while he was posting because of him. I really just think he's a irredeemable piece of poo poo regardless of what credibility he has or whatever he produces.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 26, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

I wish it would hurry up. I'm feeling dumber every day for making that GBS thread about the imminent collapse of CIG. *tugs collar*

This will be with us right until the end.

And yes, that's pretty much how it was with Dezzer. I used to love the fact that his worldview was so drat solid that it would take a tank to batter your way through it.

Remember the time when we pointed out that 'esc' is pretty much a universal key for interrupts in games and he called us all insane?

Having the Citizens then claim that he was our king or some poo poo was hilarious, as we follow the one true king, Kayak.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

spacetoaster posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

doxxing people and trying to ruin their lives because they worked on or liked the wrong video game isn't neutral, derek is and always was a piece of poo poo, long before star citizen came on the scene.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Check his SA forums rap sheet, he was probated and warned over and over to stop but kept doing it.

I think it was some random Twitter people, he was like "oh yeah, this guy is stalking me, his real name is XXX and he works at XXX. lol I know I'm gonna get probated but totally worth it!" and then he FINALLY got perma'ed.

Eeehh, I don't really put much stock in rap sheets. Some of the mods really, REALLY hated him and would ban him upon someone complaining. Then, after "grownups" came in a looked at it, it would be reversed.

For example: He was accused of doxxing for linking an IMDB page. lol

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"That's him in the wheelchair" still makes me laugh, tho

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Eeehh, I don't really put much stock in rap sheets. Some of the mods really, REALLY hated him and would ban him upon someone complaining. Then, after "grownups" came in a looked at it, it would be reversed.

For example: He was accused of doxxing for linking an IMDB page. lol

You can literally see his multiple posts where he doxxed people, they still exist with the information edited out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

My wife and I have had frequent Nerd Arguments about our alignment. We both seemed to settle on Neutral Good, bordering on Neutral Neutral. It only comes up as an argument because Chaotic rear end in a top hat isn't covered in 5th edition.

I tend towards Lawful Good, which dovetails neatly into the INTJ briggs-meyer. It also means I'm insufferable for everyone else trying to use AD&D alignments and an absolute cock in architectural meetings.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Welcome to 900 years in the future, where people dress exactly like they do now. That’s the laziest one I’ve seen so far.

She plays it straight; he tries for 'unsolved mysteries'. I think this cropped up when Elite started doing the 'voiced updates', and triggered a bunch of Citizens into thinking that they get content updates like this, rather than them being static 'lore'.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The final doxx that got him was the self proclaimed distributed systems engineer. Yes, that Kazan!
Although when he doxxed the fat old guy pretending to be a 16 year old Irish girl to get free spaceships, well, that was funny to see.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The final doxx that got him was the self proclaimed distributed systems engineer. Yes, that Kazan!
Although when he doxxed the fat old guy pretending to be a 16 year old Irish girl to get free spaceships, well, that was funny to see.

Doing a search I feel I missed out some some sweet drama with that Kazan guy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You can literally see his multiple posts where he doxxed people, they still exist with the information edited out.

The doxxing of Dolvak
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=919&perpage=40#post471267449

The doxxing of someone on Facebook
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=6437&perpage=40#post466606483

The final doxxing of the Kazan.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=4092&perpage=40#post482979125

<sigh>

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hav posted:

Oh, and 'pull up thread'.

We try but it's hard as Chris Roberts keeps changing the key lay out. Also the new flight model is poo poo and the new hover mechanics are total wank and we keep dipping down again.

Maybe in the next Jesus patch we will be able to.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

tuo posted:

Free Tophat

I'll take a free tophat thank you very much.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Norwegian actually.

But yeah, the constant warlording could be very amusing, with Stolen Valor being my favorite.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

Is this one of those times we tell the thread to pull up? This feels like one of those times we tell the thread to pull up.

Can’t pull up, no working flight model.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

"That's him in the wheelchair" still makes me laugh, tho

That reminds me of Streetrollers "come at me bro" video to Chris - totally clown but entertainment none the less.

Chris Roberts owned him without having to even do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

That reminds me of Streetrollers "come at me bro" video to Chris - totally clown but entertainment none the less.

Chris Roberts owned him without having to even do anything.

Technically they weren't supposed to use legal counsel to argue with the judge, but they did. So legal turned up on one side and Streetroller on the other, arbitrary judgement in favor of CIG.

It was a hail mary from the start because of the schroedinger nature of an un-product that is un-released and is yet entirely what you paid for.