Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Oh poo poo, might be almost the year of the Linux desktop Pi Top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ante posted:

Oh poo poo, might be almost the year of the Linux desktop Pi Top

I wish. Those things are so drat expensive.

More messing around with the Jetson Nano. It seems to have formidable hardware codec ability. However there is no way to use it for video playback.
The hardware may be HDMI CEC compliant but nVidia doesn't offer any software support for it. So technically it could be a great media device but lacks software support.
It's not what I bought it for, but it's interesting to see what it can and can't do.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is the lifespan of the SD card an issue for use as a daily desktop substitute?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yes, it is.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah it is definitely problematic. You could do a ram disk to store logs and other ephemeral frequently written stuff (can google around for tons of guides on it), or IMHO now that the USB buses are super fast I'd just throw an external drive on the Pi 4 and boot exclusively from it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Given the jump to the A72, which seems like a drastic jump from the more traditional broadcom that would only boot from SD, is it super likely that USB boot should be enabled within a couple of weeks of release?

USB boot would be fantastic

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How useful is PXE boot if/when that becomes enabled?

I’ve only used PXE for fog imaging tools and have no idea if it is useable for a real OS

eames
May 9, 2009

They confirmed that USB and network booting is on top of the priority list and will be implemented "soon".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

priznat posted:

I’ve only used PXE for fog imaging tools and have no idea if it is useable for a real OS

Yeah, lots of clusters netboot using it still, I think. They certainly used to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was looking into USB Boot and the guide says that the procedure to set it up is permanent. Does that mean that it permanently can only boot from USB or that the Pi permanently has the ability to do so? if the latter, why does that matter?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boot from SD is probably lower power overall. USB thumb drives can get quite hot.

What is the procedure? Do you have to cut a pcb trace or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

Specifically:

quote:

To enable the USB boot bit, the Raspberry Pi 3 needs to be booted from an SD card with a config option to enable USB boot mode.

Once this bit has been set, the SD card is no longer required. Note that any change you make to the OTP is permanent and cannot be undone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

[="taqueso" post="496203252"]
Digital signage is all I can think of.
[/quote]
Thin clients

priznat posted:

It’s good for imaging and zero state (thin) clients (signage, instruments, sensors, etc)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Supposedly there is an 8gb variant of the Pi4.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
You can also have a Pi boot from SD card, but move the entire Root over to an external source. It needs the SD card in for turning on, but shouldn't be writing to it. Plus, it's reversible. :shrug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Alehkhs posted:

You can also have a Pi boot from SD card, but move the entire Root over to an external source. It needs the SD card in for turning on, but shouldn't be writing to it. Plus, it's reversible. :shrug:

I’ve done this in the past with atmel cpus and it works great. Just set the boot sd to read only and you’ll never have to worry about it!

Also makes it easy to backup/snapshot your filesystems.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

if the latter, why does that matter?

It's this, and I don't know. I tried USB boot from my Pi, it wasn't any faster and used more electricity, so I went back to SD and it works fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess maybe if you have a pi set up in a way meant to be secure, enabling usb boot would allow someone to attach a usb drive, reboot to it and then access... Something.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

Supposedly there is an 8gb variant of the Pi4.
That was an error in the user guide that comes with the PI4.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I guess maybe if you have a pi set up in a way meant to be secure, enabling usb boot would allow someone to attach a usb drive, reboot to it and then access... Something.

:hmmyes:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Raygereio posted:

But was it an error as in "oops that model doesn't actually exist" or "oops didn't mean to announce that yet"?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Raygereio posted:

My guess is that there will be an 8GB variant, but will cost > $119 due to fitting 8gb high quality ram in a tiny chip is moderately expensive. Selling a raspberry pi board for over $100 is not good branding as they are all about the $35 price point marketing.

2gb and 4gb for under $60 is a great sales story, everybody loves that narrative and can buy in to it, what a wonder.

If they were to launch their $120 8GB model with the relatively cheap 2 and 4gb models, the story would be "omg $120 is outrageous, highway robbery, might as well buy a new Chromebook at that point" terrible sales story, makes your product launch a net negative

If you launch the 2 and 4 now, you get the initial generous press, see how sales do, then model demand for the overpriced 8gb, quietly release it as a limited edition model for raspberry pis 8th birthday in February 2020

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I am guessing they have prototyped and tested the 8gb. Probably waiting on RAM prices to drop to release commercially. Also raspbian is currently only 32bit. Maybe next year if everything falls into place they will drop the 1gb model, price the 2gb at $35 and release the 8gb along with aarch64 build of raspbian.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I doubt you'll see bigger ram on the Pi 4 board as it is currently. I would bet they're designing a compute module and motherboard that just breaks out PCIe lines, memory DIMM slots, maybe a SATA controller and ports, etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We are proud to announce the ATX form factor Raspberry Pi.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

We are proud to announce the ATX form factor Raspberry Pi.

Lol

Hey what's a good rasp pi alternative that would be able to smash out emulation (n64, etc) and act as a media centre. I saw the ordroid xu4, anything else?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

I was looking into USB Boot and the guide says that the procedure to set it up is permanent. Does that mean that it permanently can only boot from USB or that the Pi permanently has the ability to do so? if the latter, why does that matter?
That's just for the Pi 3 and later Pi 2 models that use the updated SoC. They have USB/network boot support in beta in their boot code but it's not enabled by default, so you have to set a one-time programmable bit (basically an e-fuse) to enable it. Once enabled it can not be disabled, but the device will still boot from SD. It'll just take a little bit longer as it checks for a USB device.

On the Pi 3B+ and 3A+ USB and network booting are enabled by default.

hambeet posted:

Hey what's a good rasp pi alternative that would be able to smash out emulation (n64, etc) and act as a media centre. I saw the ordroid xu4, anything else?
Atomic Pi seems to be pretty solid bang for the buck as far as emulators go, being x86 it benefits from the low-level work done to optimize a lot of emulators on PCs. It's a bit of a pain to work with because just hooking up power requires a breakout board or soldering.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wolrah posted:

That's just for the Pi 3 and later Pi 2 models that use the updated SoC. They have USB/network boot support in beta in their boot code but it's not enabled by default, so you have to set a one-time programmable bit (basically an e-fuse) to enable it. Once enabled it can not be disabled, but the device will still boot from SD. It'll just take a little bit longer as it checks for a USB device.

On the Pi 3B+ and 3A+ USB and network booting are enabled by default.

Atomic Pi seems to be pretty solid bang for the buck as far as emulators go, being x86 it benefits from the low-level work done to optimize a lot of emulators on PCs. It's a bit of a pain to work with because just hooking up power requires a breakout board or soldering.

Ah, cool. I'm using a 3B+ so I guess I'll look into finding an enclosure for my various old hard drives to run the pi off that instead of the SD card.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

repiv posted:

But was it an error as in "oops that model doesn't actually exist" or "oops didn't mean to announce that yet"?
Doesn’t exist yet.
From what I’ve read on the pi forum, the BCM2711 cpu has some issues that prevent it from utilizing more then 4GB ram.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

wolrah posted:

Thanks! I will look at that. Soldering, etc I can manage so that wouldn't put me off.

eames
May 9, 2009

does anybody know where I could find headless installation images for the rPi 4? I don't have a fitting HDMI dongle and I'm not about to buy one because it's supposed to run headless anyway.

Ubuntu Server has these nice images that boot up without configuration and allow access via SSH, but I can't find anything for the rPi 4 yet. The old images don't work.

edit: dropping an empty file named "ssh" into the boot partition of raspbian enabled SSH and solved that problem.

eames fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 27, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eames posted:

edit: dropping an empty file named "ssh" into the boot partition of raspbian enabled SSH and solved that problem.

Glad you found the answer. Also if you drop a wpa_supplicant.conf in there it'll automatically install that and start up wireless on boot, in case you ever have a need for a wireless Pi that you don't want to have to plug in to a LAN first to set up (especially useful for Zero W).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Something handy to have too if you deal with a lot of little Linux-based boards is a 3.3V serial to USB converter like this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/954 Every board usually has a serial port exposed on GPIO pins and you can generally get to a login shell there. It's handy for hacking on little embedded devices like routers, cheapo game consoles, etc. too.

eames
May 9, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Something handy to have too if you deal with a lot of little Linux-based boards is a 3.3V serial to USB converter like this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/954 Every board usually has a serial port exposed on GPIO pins and you can generally get to a login shell there. It's handy for hacking on little embedded devices like routers, cheapo game consoles, etc. too.

thanks, ordered one of these!

Played with the new rPi a bit and the performance is good as expected, easily saturates gigabit without encryption, syncthing over LAN to an encrypted USB 3 drive is ~400 Mbit, SMB ~650 Mbit. Pretty decent considering it has to do everything in software.

Next up overclocking and before i'll put it in the dedicated raspberry-pi-in-case-i-need-one-but-i-wont drawer.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I have a recalbox pi and I'm looking to upgrade to hopefully get N64 emulation more stable. Do I need to bother with 4 gig ram for RPi4 or just stick with 1-2 gigs? I can't conceptually see more ram as better but I don't understand the underpinnings of emulation well enough to fully discard it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Donkringel posted:

I have a recalbox pi and I'm looking to upgrade to hopefully get N64 emulation more stable. Do I need to bother with 4 gig ram for RPi4 or just stick with 1-2 gigs? I can't conceptually see more ram as better but I don't understand the underpinnings of emulation well enough to fully discard it.

2GB is probably fine

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
RAM is one of those things where you either have enough or you don't. If you have enough, adding more is nearly meaningless (not entirely meaningless when running a modern OS because "free" RAM is often used for caching), but if you don't have enough adding more is usually the best thing you can do for performance. Any time you run entirely out of RAM with a modern OS it fakes the extra RAM you need using the hard disk, which is many orders of magnitude slower. Or it just crashes.

So the question is, are you running out of RAM on your current platform?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
On the serial subject there's lots of options. That posted USB serial dongle, or one that has a mini or micro connector. There's also RS232C, wifi via something like an Esp8266, or Bluetooth via an HC-06 or HC-05 module. I've used all of these for various reasons.
Depending on device (adapter or SBC) , sometimes the USB adapter can be an issue. Even when it's set up to be USB powered, a high on RX (in terms of SBC) before the device is powered up can cause some really weird boot issues.
Just putting that out there in case anyone finds themself with a weird boot problem.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Would this make a good Gigabit router if I bought a USB3->Ethernet adapter? And not a wifi access point, just a plain router (and maybe VPN server/client if the CPU is good enough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Alpha Mayo posted:

Would this make a good Gigabit router if I bought a USB3->Ethernet adapter? And not a wifi access point, just a plain router (and maybe VPN server/client if the CPU is good enough)

An ER-X is like $60, and awesome. It's got wire speed routing, solid firmware updates, and incredible community support. Why bother with anything on a Pi?