Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xarn posted:

Preventing binaries that use str(n)cpy from running sounds like a feature.

Yeah, I put strcpy there for that reason. I still think that omitting terrible features in a standard library is going to break existing code, and in ways that are difficult to track down. (Deleting a single function is a no-brainer to track down. Changing the semantics of /deleting a certain edge case is going to be mysterious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Qwertycoatl posted:

They talk about a growing range of needs they can't get from existing libcs, but don't say anything at all about what those needs are. I wonder why they want to reinvent this particular wheel.

Their library developers need something to do.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There is nothing wrong with strcpy unless your complaint is really the entirety of null-terminated strings.

EDIT: I was thinking of strdup

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 27, 2019

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ultrafilter posted:

Their library developers need something to do.

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure some team needs to justify their existence so they swung for the fences.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

rjmccall posted:

There is nothing wrong with strcpy unless your complaint is really the entirety of null-terminated strings.
It is.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Funny, Mozilla is already developing a better standard library for C

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rjmccall posted:

There is when strncpy exists.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ratbert90 posted:

There is when strncpy exists.

strncpy is not a safer strcpy. strncpy doesn't even guarantee that you'll end up with a null-terminated string. even if you avoid that gotcha, there is no way to detect when strncpy truncates the input, and it is needlessly inefficient if the input does fit. you should never ever use strncpy to copy strings.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

strlcpy is the preferred alternative to strcpy. It's not part of the standard, but it's generally available.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

strlcpy is the preferred alternative to strcpy. It's not part of the standard, but it's generally available.

Ooh, nice.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Is there a coding blog horrors thread? I just found this brilliantly bizarre post:

quote:

First, imagine an angel. The angel radiates a soft, pure white with glittering wings and a serene face. They bob gently over the ground and moves with smooth yet purposeful grace. No living person can see this angel, and it passes through anything it touches.

Let's say this angel was in the corner of a crowded dinner party. You tell the angel they need to move across the room and stand next to the punch bowl. The angel nods and starts floating toward this spot. No one can see or touch it. No one's conversations are disturbed and no one needs to move out of their way. Thanks to all this, the angel takes the shortest possible route to the punch bowl. If the dinner party filled with entirely new guests, the angel could do this again along the exact path.

Now imagine almost the exact opposite of this angel: a radioactive mutant. The mutant was once human but has transformed into something grotesque. They could have any grotesque feature you want: waving tentacles, eyes all over their back, feet that are webbed and clawed, a t-shirt with a pop culture reference decades out of date, or they own a real estate business. Whatever you choose, this mutant is scary and you can't look at it too long.

Let's say this mutant had the same task: move from the corner of a dinner party to the punch bowl. You could imagine how horrible that would go. People would be screaming and pushing away from the mutant constantly. Plus its radioactivity would start giving random people different mutations, and guests would run from them too. The mutant would need to push and shove along an unpredictable path to reach that spot. If you restarted this scenario at a party with different guests, the radiation would make different people mutate, and the humans would panic in new ways. The mutant would need to take a different, but just as rough, route to the punch bowl.

So, yeah. What was that supposed to be explaining? Functional vs imperative JavaScript, obviously. https://dev.to/maxwell_dev/a-metaphorical-introduction-to-functional-javascript-3og4

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

for values of "generally available" that exclude obscure platforms like (checks notes) uh, linux and windows

yeah you can use not-glibc on linux but mainstream is all glibc. there's probably a non-standard libc for windows too but microsoft really want you to use strcpy_s, or preferably not c at all. or you can just include a standalone implementation of it, but at that point why aren't you just using an actual string library that just stores the lengths so you can have things like a string length lookup that isn't O loving (n)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
EDIT: oh gently caress I’m thinking of strdup

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Kazinsal posted:

I like the idea that they seem interested in writing a safe, statically linked libc. That has positive implications for embedded applications.

That's about all I like from this project proposal, though.

ah yes, my safe statically linked libc for embedded applications

that's, uh, *checks notes* x86-64 only

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Soricidus posted:

why aren't you just using an actual string library that just stores the lengths so you can have things like a string length lookup that isn't O loving (n)

:angel:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Isn't strncpy_s part of the C11 library? Does the same thing but theoretically safer since it also intercepts NPEs and does some bounds checking.

JawnV6 posted:

I said I liked the idea, not the execution

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Isn't strncpy_s part of the C11 library? Does the same thing but theoretically safer since it also intercepts NPEs and does some bounds checking.

it's an optional part. many libcs don't implement it, and it might be removed in future versions. pretty much only microsoft likes it and they probably only put it in the standard in the first place in a desperate bid to persuade microsoft to move past c89 ever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Did they learn nothing from essentially forking Java?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

No ARM support? Did a certain former glibc maintainer get a job at Google?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did they learn nothing from essentially forking Java?

It worked. For them.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

rjmccall posted:

Ding ding ding.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Seriously though, null-terminated string have the advantage of saving sizeof(char*) - sizeof(char) memory per string, for the low low cost of endless security vulnerabilities, being slower when concatenating them, being slower when copying them, their substrings cannot share the same buffer and nothing in the type system distinguishes them from a pointer to an arbitrary object.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I, too, think pointer-and-length is a much better way to pass around buffers and strings. However, you need to remember that C is a very old language that evolved directly from even older languages, and they were still figuring out a lot of things that it's easy to be smug about in retrospect. BCPL and B were untyped: all values were single-word cells. If you declared an array of size N in B, the compiler set aside N+1 cells and made the first a pointer to the rest; when Ritchie was adding types in C, he wanted arrays to correspond exactly to an array in memory, so he had to invent array-to-pointer decay in order to make that work. When he added structs, they were purely for memory layout, and he had no conception that it would be useful to be able to pass them around as return values or arguments; C didn't acquire that capability until the ANSI process started in the mid-80s. BCPL stored the string length in a prefix byte on the string, like Pascal did (much later), and just like Pascal that meant that strings could only be 255 or 511 characters long (depending on the machine's byte size); B switching to use a terminator character was considered a major expressivity win because strings weren't so artificially limited in length. Apparently Ritchie considered using a separate length for C strings and decided it would be hugely inconvenient for programmers, which it really would've been if you had to pass it around yourself everywhere. (Null-termination is also very convenient for code that directly processes strings, like parsers — you're looking at every character anyway, and it's nice not having to check a separate length every time. Clang actually sets up its input buffers so that they're guaranteed null-terminated, and we only check the buffer length when we actually see a '\0', which of course is very rare in source files.)

Also, you can't write a generic struct in C, so in order to have a type that can represent a pointer-and-length to an arbitrary type, you'd have to build it into the language with intrinsic constructors and projections like the C99 _Complex T type.

Anyway, libc can't do anything about any of this, because if it tried, it wouldn't be libc anymore; and the compiler can't do anything about this, because if it tried, it wouldn't be a C compiler anymore. Now maybe a libc can justify removing the unsafe functions — already a stretch, frankly — but it can't just take every single function that takes a string across both C and POSIX and make them all accept a _String instead of a const char *. For one, it probably still cares about ABI for existing compiled code. Even if not, maybe someone can hack the language so that string literals convert to _String, but that won't help with the vast amount of C code that's passing in an opaque char*, or which expects library functions to return one instead of a _String. And if you're willing to go that far — changing how the language handles strings across both the compiler and the library and requiring massive code changes — you might as well aim to solve bigger problems than just pointer bounds.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

rjmccall posted:

Anyway, libc can't do anything about any of this, because if it tried, it wouldn't be libc anymore; and the compiler can't do anything about this, because if it tried, it wouldn't be a C compiler anymore.

__builtin_object_size and __attribute__((pass_object_size)) get you a lot of the way there, while still being source compatible with standard C.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soricidus posted:

there's probably a non-standard libc for windows too but microsoft really want you to use strcpy_s, or preferably not c at all.

Unlike Unixes, there isn't a standard libc for Windows at all. Your standard, shipped with the OS layer is the Win32 API; if you're selling/vending/releasing a C compiler for Windows you'll also need to provide your own libc with it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
there isn’t a single built-in libc on windows, but I feel justified in using the word "standard" to describe the libc provided by the platform vendor with their c compiler.

(yes, I am aware there are multiple versions of this libc. no, I don’t care.)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Well, Siva Chandra finally provided their actual rationale for wanting to do it and it's here. It seems like a lot of good ideas but I still don't really understand why a full rewrite is necessary (read: it's not, it's them going uhhh we're google of course we'll do it better) instead of larger contributions to e.g. musl.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phobeste posted:

Well, Siva Chandra finally provided their actual rationale for wanting to do it and it's here. It seems like a lot of good ideas but I still don't really understand why a full rewrite is necessary (read: it's not, it's them going uhhh we're google of course we'll do it better) instead of larger contributions to e.g. musl.

Watch them start it out, get buy-in from a couple of companies and developers, then pull it from under them and leave them in the lurch.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Watch them start it out, get buy-in from a couple of companies and developers, then pull it from under them and leave them in the lurch.

2019: "We're building the llvm libc."
2021: "We're introducing our own compiler which will come with its own libc. Incidentally, we're deprecating the llvm libc."
2023: "The Google c compiler project is being shut down."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Phobeste posted:

I'm still concerned about their closing sentence:

quote:

All this does not mean we want to implement everything from scratch. If someone has implementations for parts of the libc ready, and would like to contribute to this project under the LLVM license, we will certainly welcome it.
To me, this reads as "We don't want to reimplement everything from scratch: we'd be happy to have you do it, too!"

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
So what's stopping Google from creating their own snowflake version of libc for their own use instead of trying to force it as a new standard? It looks like recently, Google's run out of ideas for actual products, so they're looking at things that are already in use and entrenched, and then giving them the NIH treatment, but entirely from their own self-serving perspective, as if all those other systems already in place don't matter at all.

It would be a different story if they proposed rebuilding some legacy technology from scratch but remaining interoperable with the existing legacy systems out there, or if they proposed rebuilding some legacy technology without backwards compatibility constraints, but in a way that would benefit everyone. But they seem extremely unashamed about proposing incompatible "replacements" that benefits nobody but themselves, with the expectation that things will go their way purely because they're Google (or that everyone else doesn't matter, because they're not Google). :lolplant:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beuges posted:

So what's stopping Google from creating their own snowflake version of libc for their own use instead of trying to force it as a new standard?

That's what they're doing though? And they explicitly aren't even touching multiple platforms for it?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

fishmech posted:

That's what they're doing though? And they explicitly aren't even touching multiple platforms for it?

I dunno, it sounded like they're at least wanting to make this into something clang would adopt. And by encouraging ~the community~ to contribute the work, they're at least trying to get it entrenched outside of Google as well.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
They'd like it to be in the LLVM project, since LLVM does not currently provide a libc. Presumably they would push it as part of a complete LLVM toolchain for targets that are open to changing their libc and want totally static binaries, which in practice just means weird embedded environments; on the other hand, that would require portability, which they seem to have marginal interest in even planning for.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah that guy didn’t seem to respond well to “uh you may only want support for Linux x86-64 but if you want this to ever be cross platform and abi you need to plan that from the start”

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

rjmccall posted:

They'd like it to be in the LLVM project, since LLVM does not currently provide a libc. Presumably they would push it as part of a complete LLVM toolchain for targets that are open to changing their libc and want totally static binaries, which in practice just means weird embedded environments; on the other hand, that would require portability, which they seem to have marginal interest in even planning for.

Don't the weird embedded environments already use newlib?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I'm not an expert, but I feel completely confident in saying that each and every one does its own special snowflake thing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

rjmccall posted:

I am guessing the intended case here is more "servers running in containers".

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

rjmccall posted:

I'm not an expert, but I feel completely confident in saying that each and every one does its own special snowflake thing.

Over here it's "halfassed implementation of the functions people happened to need"

Turns out printf is a lot easier to write if you only support plain %d, %x and %s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

Over here it's "halfassed implementation of the functions people happened to need"

Turns out printf is a lot easier to write if you only support plain %d, %x and %s

Yep! I remember writing one of those in my kernel project in college. I couldn't properly test how well my kernel handled a forkbomb because the userspace libc the TAs gave us was so huge relative to the memory capacity of the VM, so I hacked up a tiny libc so that each process would only need a few kilobytes of memory. Found a few bugs that way, too.