Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Almost Blue posted:

I think that's an issue with Chaplin's estate, I remember seeing something a few years ago about how they want Chaplin's re-edits from the 70s in circulation over the original versions.

Which is why Criterion has to pretend that the 40s recut of The Gold Rush with the narration is the "definitive" version even while I'm certain that everybody that worked on that disc considers it a curiosity at best.

At least in this case it's "just" a new score, right? The Gold Rush is for all practical purposes a different film entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Is this the first Blu-ray release of Local Hero? I love that cover. The movie is so good, it's just a warm, comfortable tale of nature conservation soundtracked by the guitarist from Dire Straits. It's the movie equivalent of a heavy blanket in the winter time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So out of the new criterions coming out, should I get 'the inland sea' or 'the flavor of green tea over rice'?

I'm such a sucker for Asian films. But I'm trying to budget certain things and I only want to pick up one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Which is why Criterion has to pretend that the 40s recut of The Gold Rush with the narration is the "definitive" version even while I'm certain that everybody that worked on that disc considers it a curiosity at best.

At least in this case it's "just" a new score, right? The Gold Rush is for all practical purposes a different film entirely.

Here's the changes to Chaplin's self-owned films over the years...

The Gold Rush and the First National short Pay Day were reissued in 1942 from alternate negatives, some re-edits, and a new music and narration track by Chaplin. The 1925 version is lost, but a reconstruction was created in the 1980s by Kevin Brownlow and David Gill using the deleted footage and the 1942 re-edit version. Criterion included this on their release with a new orchestral recording of Chaplin's score by Timothy Brock.

Chaplin edited a scene out of Limelight after the premiere. Criterion includes this scene as an extra.

The Pilgrim, A Dog's Life, and Shoulder Arms re-issued in 1959 as part of the compilation feature The Chaplin Revue, which also featured two unfinished films by Chaplin - a documentary showing filmmaking at his studio and The Professor. Alternate footage was largely used due to the age of the films, enabling a higher-quality image, but not the domestic cuts. Music track added, as well as step-printing to slow down the footage. (Not on Criterion yet)

Modern Times was also reissued in 1959, with the only edits being removal of the United Artists credit and the last verse of the nonsense song. Criterion edition has the latter as an extra, but the 2000 Image DVD has the full original 1936 version.

The Circus and the First National short A Day's Pleasure were re-issued in 1970 from a new edit with a new score by Chaplin. Doesn't seem like any trace of the 1928 version exists and it's likely this version was reconstructed from outtakes and alternate negatives.

The Kid and the First National short The Idle Class were re-issued in 1972 from a new edit deleting footage and with a new score by Chaplin. Criterion edition has the deleted scenes and original title cards as an extra in HD.

A Woman of Paris plus the First National short Sunnyside were re-released after Chaplin's death in 1978 with a score composed by him and the same musical associates who worked on his re-issues of The Circus and The Kid. (Not on Criterion yet).

The Great Dictator didn't have any edits besides the opening titles being altered to remove United Artists references (the Image DVD used a re-creation). Same with City Lights, though some late-80s prints apparently had a re-recorded score by Carl Davis, which was available on the 1993 Fox laserdisc and 2000 Image DVD. (This is a very good re-recording, though it's missing a lot of effects and details. Plus, the restored 1931 track on the Criterion sounds incredible)

Chaplin apparently trimmed a few bits and pieces off A King in New York for release outside the UK, but both exist. (Not on on Criterion yet)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In A Lonely Place: The Max Landis Story

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Next week I'm gonna be staying at a place without stable internet for a bit. Some relatives will also be there, and since there's a decent tv there I figure I could download stuff from the criterion channel for offline viewing (the drm is dumb as hell but I should be able to connect just long enough to refresh it).

So my question is, what's some good poo poo on the channel that I could grab that would appeal to folks that mostly just watch blockbusters or rarely watch movies at all. I think it'd have to be in English and not incredibly violent and/or sexual, but other than that go nuts with your suggestions!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Srice posted:

Next week I'm gonna be staying at a place without stable internet for a bit. Some relatives will also be there, and since there's a decent tv there I figure I could download stuff from the criterion channel for offline viewing (the drm is dumb as hell but I should be able to connect just long enough to refresh it).

So my question is, what's some good poo poo on the channel that I could grab that would appeal to folks that mostly just watch blockbusters or rarely watch movies at all. I think it'd have to be in English and not incredibly violent and/or sexual, but other than that go nuts with your suggestions!

The Big Heat
F for Fake
Frances Ha
Night of the Hunter
Sisters (I don't remember it being particularly violent?)
The Third Man
Time Bandits

maybe Playtime, it's not English but there isn't much dialogue, it's all about the physical/visual gags

comedy answer Antichrist

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Srice posted:

To add on to the above:

The Blob, Gimme Shelter, Night of the Living Dead

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

To add on to the above:

The Blob, Gimme Shelter, Night of the Living Dead

Gonna second Gimme Shelter. It's one of the most riveting documentary/concert films I've ever seen. It's like a 90 minute long trainwreck in slow motion. There is a bit of somewhat graphic violence captured at the end of the film, however.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Big Heat
F for Fake
Frances Ha
Night of the Hunter
Sisters (I don't remember it being particularly violent?)
The Third Man
Time Bandits

maybe Playtime, it's not English but there isn't much dialogue, it's all about the physical/visual gags

comedy answer Antichrist

Subtitles on Tati films are just a formality. I actually find Playtime to have an extra layer of chaos when it’s left unsubtitled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Subtitles on Tati films are just a formality. I actually find Playtime to have an extra layer of chaos when it’s left unsubtitled.

Did it even have any dialogue? Whatever there was, it certainly wasn't the memorable part of the film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finished out the unseen Columbia noirs. I really love the idea of doing sets like this on Criterion Channel when they don't have physical rights (they only have In a Lonely Place).

Basebf555 posted:

Did it even have any dialogue? Whatever there was, it certainly wasn't the memorable part of the film.

It really is just background noise, though some of it is very funny

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just watched Kuroneko. It's good. But drat Criterion has to stop doing white subtitles on black and white movies

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks to all who gave recs, Gimme Shelter definitely sounds like one that'll go over well so I'll be grabbing that first :cheerdoge:

I just wish the app wasn't so iffy with downloads, what the hell it's so bad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lmao that sucks so much. wow, imagine movies that are as classy as books!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Priterion!?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

So does Lynch poo-pooing the KL release of Lost Highway blu mean there might be a Criterion version soon or is it just regular Lynch persnickety poo poo?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gripweed posted:

lmao that sucks so much. wow, imagine movies that are as classy as books!

Looks like it was designed for classroom screenings and the local community college’s tv station.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So does Lynch poo-pooing the KL release of Lost Highway blu mean there might be a Criterion version soon or is it just regular Lynch persnickety poo poo?

It's a clusterfuck. Kino screwed up by licensing it in the first place and not knowing the details of Lynch's contract over the film. They also allegedly ignored requests from Peter Deming to participate. Universal should have given Criterion first dibs to avoid all this. Maybe they can all work out something, but I doubt Lynch will want to work with Kino after this.

I don't get how some of these labels don't do this sort of research ahead of time, but I guess they have to grab up rights as they can before knowing everything.

But that does sort of show what sets everyone apart from Criterion and Indicator, who are meticulous about that sort of stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Looks like it was designed for classroom screenings and the local community college’s tv station.

It looks like the logo of a company that makes cheap adaptations of public domain books. I'm imaging a parallel universe where people get really nostalgic when they see it because they watched the Criterion version of Treasure Island or The Scarlet Letter in middle school

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More caps

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The only good use of image macro impact font in history

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The only good use of image macro impact font in history

Um

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress :doh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder when IDW comics will move on from making those 80s nostalgia comics like Big Trouble in Little China Meets Escape From LA and do 90s nostalgia comics like Twin Peaks Goes To Silence of the Lambs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Do you hear the gum, Clarice? Do you hear the gum coming back into style? It sounds like this...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Reminder that the BN sale starts tomorrow.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Reminder that the BN sale starts tomorrow.

gently caress. Okay. Concentrate.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
For some reason I thought it started Sunday, thanks for the heads up! Maybe I’ll sneak over on my lunch break

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Has Criterion done any good war movies?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

They've done a bunch https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse/list?sort=spine_number&genre=war

I like Paths of Glory, Ivan's Childhood, and The Thin Red Line

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lol I didn't even think to check if that was a genre on their site. Thanks!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Gripweed posted:

War and Peace just came out, but also check out Shame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Watch Paths of Glory immediately.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Watch Paths of Glory immediately.

:emptyquote:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shame looks like a bummer. I was hoping they'd have badass war movies, like The Longest Day

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Shame will make you feel sick, which is the only thing a war movie should do.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is great, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

:emptyquote::emptyquote:

The Thin Red Line too