Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That wccftech guy said the supers would cost more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Rumors have been all over the place. Some claimed $100 less per card performance bracket. Some claimed moderate price hikes. A different angle was small price increases while bumping the existing 20x0 cards down $50-100 each.

I dunno how reliable the rumor mill is here, but price reductions on expensive premium cards are hardly unprecedented ... When there is stiff competition. AMD may not have the products to push them this generation if the RX 5700s are beaten in their own bracket on announcement and their higher end cards lose pretty badly to nV. However it seems like nV expectations were badly let down in terms of crypto currency miner sales, so I'm hoping for some significant reductions on existing cards at least while they try to clear inventory.

My bet is that supers will cost more or at most slot in at the current prices.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Videocardz is confirming the SUPER launch schedule that WCCF posted

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 26, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Cavauro posted:

That wccftech guy said the supers would cost more

Nvidia will try to maintain their margins by introducing these at or slightly above current levels. It's a pretty well known business strategy. Then they can be the good guys by reducing older products to help bring down channel inventory. I don't know what it's like in the US but here in Canada these things are just too expensive and vendors are grumbling.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Nvidia will try to maintain their margins by introducing these at or slightly above current levels. It's a pretty well known business strategy. Then they can be the good guys by reducing older products to help bring down channel inventory. I don't know what it's like in the US but here in Canada these things are just too expensive and vendors are grumbling.

I had to wait almost 4 months after my preorder to even get my EVGA 2080ti via Memory Express so if any Canadians are reading this please be very careful who you order through.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Displayport 2.0 has been announced, thunderbolt 3 based(using the two lanes in a bonded unidirectional way to offer 80gbps of bandwidth with active cables, otherwise the cable will offer 40gbps). Target resolutions(without compression?) are 8K@60hz HDR / >8K@60Hz SDR / 4K@144Hz HDR / 2x 5K@60Hz

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14590/vesa-announces-displayport-20-standard-bandwidth-for-8k-monitors-beyond

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

SlowBloke posted:

Displayport 2.0 has been announced, thunderbolt 3 based(using the two lanes in a bonded unidirectional way to offer 80gbps of bandwidth with active cables, otherwise the cable will offer 40gbps). Target resolutions(without compression?) are 8K@60hz HDR / >8K@60Hz SDR / 4K@144Hz HDR / 2x 5K@60Hz

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14590/vesa-announces-displayport-20-standard-bandwidth-for-8k-monitors-beyond

Yesss. 1920x1080 @ 1243 Hz, let's go! (in the year 2039).

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Riflen posted:

Yesss. 1920x1080 @ 1243 Hz, let's go! (in the year 2039).

Pretty sure I've read that the maximum framerate noticeable by humans (at the high end, like fighter pilots) tops out in the 220s.

Edit: link to reddit shows it depends, but probably tops out at around 300 for Captain America level humans.

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 26, 2019

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Gyrotica posted:

Pretty sure I've read that the maximum framerate noticeable by humans (at the high end, like fighter pilots) tops out in the 220s.

Frame rate !== display refresh rate. Especially important when all our displays are sample and hold in nature.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Riflen posted:

Frame rate !== display refresh rate. Especially important when all our displays are sample and hold in nature.

Good to know.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

VelociBacon posted:

I had to wait almost 4 months after my preorder to even get my EVGA 2080ti via Memory Express so if any Canadians are reading this please be very careful who you order through.

I bought my 2080ti through amazon.ca for about 100 dollars cheaper than other canadian retailers. Shipped when it said it would.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The evga trade in extravaganza:

Any EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Graphics Card = $150 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Graphics Card = $100 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card = $75 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Graphics Card = $100 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Graphics Card = $75 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Graphics Card = $50 CREDIT

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I see it. Are the discounts worth it?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 26, 2019

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Riflen posted:

Lemme get some of that sweet sweet 1080p480 CRT action

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Zotix posted:

You get more on eBay for those cards I think. Apparently there are discounts on the price of the new cards but I can't see them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nvidia selling the 2080s at $100 above the 2080 MSRP would be the dumbest poo poo so I fully expect it to happen

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lungboy posted:

The evga trade in extravaganza:

Any EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Graphics Card = $150 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Graphics Card = $100 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card = $75 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Graphics Card = $100 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Graphics Card = $75 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Graphics Card = $50 CREDIT

Honestly think I'm going to hold onto my 970 for another generation and just buy a 2070 cheap.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Kazinsal posted:

Lemme get some of that sweet sweet 1080p480 CRT action

DisplayPort 2.0 resolutions and refresh rates possible (without compression).

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gyrotica posted:

Edit: link to reddit shows it depends, but probably tops out at around 300 for Captain America level humans.

LinusTechTips actually did a small sample size video trying to tie causation with framerate and the ability to aim better and react faster. It's not out yet publicly, but the small jist of it is that they expected just a 12ms improvement when going from 60fps(16ms per frame) to 240fps(4ms per frame). What they saw was much higher than 12ms in improvements of reaction times and the ability to kill their targets when going from 60ms to 240fps. So it may be possible that even if we can't distinguish higher framerates, a player's brain gets more information to process by having more frames. So having higher refresh than even 240 could see an improvement with a player's capabilities.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're thinking way too much about it. 120 FPS looks way better than 60 FPS. You can instantly tell 120+ FPS. I'm disabled and play nothing competitive at all but can easily see the benefits of 120+ FPS. If 120+ FPS looked like 60 but offered subtle benefits to reaction time it'd be harder to argue for. Some people can't even notice past 30 FPS which seems crazy to me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zotix posted:

About 25% under market value for your trade-in - but you don't have to pay 10% ebay fees and 3% paypal fees either. But the financing is only 3 months, not the 12 months they promised earlier, and I assume after that the interest rate would make payday lenders blush.

I don't see anything about a discount above and beyond that and probably wouldn't expect them to go much below MSRP.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 26, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Financing a videocard seems really depressing. It's a luxury thing just save money for 6 months or whatever. No one needs a videocard.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SlayVus posted:

LinusTechTips actually did a small sample size video trying to tie causation with framerate and the ability to aim better and react faster. It's not out yet publicly, but the small jist of it is that they expected just a 12ms improvement when going from 60fps(16ms per frame) to 240fps(4ms per frame). What they saw was much higher than 12ms in improvements of reaction times and the ability to kill their targets when going from 60ms to 240fps. So it may be possible that even if we can't distinguish higher framerates, a player's brain gets more information to process by having more frames. So having higher refresh than even 240 could see an improvement with a player's capabilities.

It's LTT, they probably did the test with V-sync on and the usual 90ms of delay at 60fps.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't see anything about a discount above and beyond that and probably wouldn't expect them to go much below MSRP.

https://twitter.com/TEAMEVGA/status/1143948191110295552

They are definitely saying there is a discount on the price of the new card, but it seems you have to go through the signup process to find out what the deals are.

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010
You have to be logged in to see the prices, seems like the lower end stuff doesn't have much (if any discount):

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well, I'll hang onto my 780 Ti, just use it as a backup or a phys-x card or some crap. $100 off the cards it is talking about sounds like a soon to be general market reality... Not really worth losing my old workhorse of a card for.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ViolentQuiche posted:

You have to be logged in to see the prices, seems like the lower end stuff doesn't have much (if any discount):

What do they have for 2080 tis?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ViolentQuiche posted:

The 2060s look like the same as the store prices (some have small discounts over msrp), but many of the middle and top-end 2070s and 2080s are $50 to $100 below their cheapest price listed on PCPartpicker.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I had one of those “I guess I have to pay for that now” moments on eBay. I threw someone a lowball offer on a non-working 1080ti and they bit on it. Seller says they don’t remember what’s wrong with the card (I.e. no video, video but it craps out under load, video but its artifacted, etc) which I don’t believe, but whatever.

Is there any common problem or thing that dies on 1080ti’s? It’s a Zotac AMP, but not the Extreme edition.

Just trying to hedge my bets here. I’m for sure testing it in a PC that isn’t my gaming PC in case it shorts something out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How do I clone a single 4k 60Hz display port into two identical video streams? I bought one of these, but apparently even though I want both displays to be the same, it counts each bandwidth individually and won't let me do 4k@60 :psyduck:

I refuse to believe the ancient technology of "split a signal down two wires" is lost to the ages.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, I had one of those “I guess I have to pay for that now” moments on eBay. I threw someone a lowball offer on a non-working 1080ti and they bit on it. Seller says they don’t remember what’s wrong with the card (I.e. no video, video but it craps out under load, video but its artifacted, etc) which I don’t believe, but whatever.

Is there any common problem or thing that dies on 1080ti’s? It’s a Zotac AMP, but not the Extreme edition.

Just trying to hedge my bets here. I’m for sure testing it in a PC that isn’t my gaming PC in case it shorts something out.

Why did you buy a dead card without having any idea how to fix it? idgi

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SlayVus posted:

It's live now. https://youtu.be/tV8P6T5tTYs

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010
2080tis aren't offered, the program tops out at 2080s:

My 980ti is getting sluggish, but at this point I might as well wait out the supers.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

ViolentQuiche posted:

2080tis aren't offered, the program tops out at 2080s:

My 980ti is getting sluggish, but at this point I might as well wait out the supers.

I wonder what the chances are that the 2070 Super will be announced at the same $649 the 2080's at now?

I've also got a 980ti btw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inept posted:

Why did you buy a dead card without having any idea how to fix it? idgi

Like I said, I threw a number out there and they bit on it so now I have a mystery on my hands :iiam:

To be fair I can fix most things on a GPU that aren’t microscopic or literally inside the pcb like traces or inside the various chips. So if I see a mosfet or something that let the smoke out I’m good to fix it.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is a Power Limit/shunt mod some people do and if they gently caress up they can fry their card

Also gently caress I hate bitcoin. I paid $580 for my 1070Ti and now Bitcoin is above 12K just in time for Super

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Amazon's current prices on 2070s are lower than EVGA's prices on their site even after their "instant rebate" discounts. Minimum $20 less, some considerably better and puts products competitive with EVGA's higher end 2070s in the mix for better prices than EVGA offers. I guess the $100 offer for trade in is better than nothing but seriously while I know this card is obsolete I still gotta value it higher than that for my own use at this time.

Kinda let down by the promotion but I don't know what I would have expected differently honestly, maybe just steeper price cuts than we got. Perhaps yet to come when the supers launch. Here's hoping buttcoin isn't going to gently caress me over here waiting until early July to get a new card.

No, that's all wrong, it's all on the promotion page. The rest of the site has their normal prices. Read further posts for clarity :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 27, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

KillHour posted:

How do I clone a single 4k 60Hz display port into two identical video streams? I bought one of these, but apparently even though I want both displays to be the same, it counts each bandwidth individually and won't let me do 4k@60 :psyduck:

I refuse to believe the ancient technology of "split a signal down two wires" is lost to the ages.

That's a hub not a splitter, it's designed to let you connect two independent displays to a single port as if you connected them to two separate ports on your graphics card. If it says "MST" that means it's a hub. TBH you'll probably have an easier time finding an HDMI 2.0 splitter than a DisplayPort one, if that's an option for you, or even getting a new graphics card with an additional DP output.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 27, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Agreed posted:

Amazon's current prices on 2070s are lower than EVGA's prices on their site even after their "instant rebate" discounts. Minimum $20 less, some considerably better and puts products competitive with EVGA's higher end 2070s in the mix for better prices than EVGA offers. I guess the $100 offer for trade in is better than nothing but seriously while I know this card is obsolete I still gotta value it higher than that for my own use at this time.

Kinda let down by the promotion but I don't know what I would have expected differently honestly, maybe just steeper price cuts than we got. Perhaps yet to come when the supers launch. Here's hoping buttcoin isn't going to gently caress me over here waiting until early July to get a new card.

The 2070 prices that ViolentQuiche posted from the trade-in deal are lower than EVGA's store prices by $50-100, depending on the model. Are your offers the same as the store prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I am logged in but the only discounts I see have to do with "instant rebates" that they seem to have put up recently. I just clicked on the 2070 product page, I haven't yet even found a specific thing to click on to get the 780 Ti discount. I stand ready to withdraw my disappointment and maybe pick up a new card if the cumulative discount compared to the real market price of the thing is $200, that'd be slick.

Edit: found it, poking around to see what the discount really is - stand by for edit :p

Edit 2: Well, it looks like I can get a 2070 standard edition (which they seem to call Black or Gaming) for $387. That's pretty tempting, actually, suck to be without a card during the shipping process but that price is right!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 27, 2019